Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• mightbesherlockmightbesherlock Scotland
    God this place is so full of precious dicks, so over & out.

PS: For those who haven't served over & out means over to you but shut up.

Seems as though MTM whoever that is seems to run this place, virtue signalling the innocent newbies and putting them in their place. I came here for the first time, posted my opinion and got slagged off for my efforts. I don't believe whatever his name was hadn't already seen the film or read any spoiler materials, he just wants to make himself the centre of attention. Well done him, he succeeded, now we all know he's a pretentious dick. Oh, and thank you for your support to a new member, much appreciated, but frankly I can do without MTM and his minions (not you) piling on in some schoolyard arguments so for me it's Over And Out and I'll leave the incidious rabble to argue who's got the biggest PPK.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 4,400
    Eon like taking bold swings these days. I think they will pick an actor of colour. I think they will go for Rege-Jean Page. I wouldn't be surprised if he has met with Eon. He'd be perfect. He is attached to star in The Saint reboot - however, Paramount have overhauled the executive team there and that project might get caught up in the turnaround. It was said that the now exited Paramount film boss, Emma Watts was instrumental in getting Page on board. That may change now.

Perhaps more excitingly, Page has just agreed to star in Noah Hawley's new heist film at Netflix. Those combinations alone make this a film destined for world domination. I do hope that he doesn't just play suave ladykillers and this heist film has an edge to it (Hawley's involvement would suggest so). Craig made his name playing a wide variation of roles. If Page is going to convince as they next 007, he'll need to show that range.

rege-jean-page-at--emmys-2021.jpg

One name I think would be interesting is George Mackay. He's one of the best actors working right now in the UK. I think he will become a huge acting titan, someone with multiple Oscars on his mantlepiece. He isn't the most handsome bloke. However, neither was Craig. But Daniel always had that rugged roughness to him - he undeniably has screen presence. Mackay looks a little more gentle and unremarkable (he doesn't exactly stand out). Nonetheless, I find him a rather exciting choice, especially based on his performance in the Ned Kelly film.

5e7cf76d73087f60004c601df577ba82912c70ff.gifv
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 12,837
    I think they’ll probably cast it race blind. Barbara doesn’t strike me as the type to make big statements like that for the sake of it, the boldness tends to come from the films themselves.

I’ve been watching The North Water recently and I still like Jack O’Connell for it, providing he can do an RP accent. Proper raw screen presence and youth on his side, which I think is what we need to escape DC’s shadow. An actor of his calibre, with screen presence to match, but young enough to set himself apart from the burnt out older agent of the last few films. In a similar vein, I think John Boyega could be good, but he’s probably too famous now thanks to Star Wars.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2021 Posts: 5,834
    I'm personally hoping it's not Rege-Jean Page. He just has this really irritating smugness. I understand that James Bond has some of that smugness within his character, but we still need to like him, and I don't know if I'd like James Bond anymore with Jean Page playing him.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2021 Posts: 14,861
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I'm personally hoping it's not Rege-Jean Page. He just has this really irritating smugness. I understand that James Bond has some of that smugness within his character, but we still need to like him, and I don't know if I'd like James Bond anymore with Jean Page playing him.

Yes, I haven't seen much of him performing beyond clips but I'm struck but how he seems to be posing constantly. Maybe he's okay though, I don't know.
    I don't doubt that he won't actually get to play The Saint, they never actually make the thing. A shame because he seems more suited to Templar than to Bond to me, the Saint being slightly more effete and playful than Bond.

George Mackay is a new name to me, interesting thought.
    I’ve been watching The North Water recently and I still like Jack O’Connell for it, providing he can do an RP accent. Proper raw screen presence and youth on his side, which I think is what we need to escape DC’s shadow.

Yes he's great.

I presume though they'll want at least a script draft and director onboard before they cast a new Bond for the next movie though? That's how it worked last time anyway.
    George Mackay, good actor, interesting choice.
  • I think Jack O’Connell would be a cracking choice for an early years (but not origin story) reboot. I do imagine though his take would probably be quite similar to Craig.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Isn’t O’Connell 5’7 ?
  • quantumspectrequantumspectre argentina
    I want they chosse between henry cavill or tom hiddleston, both are believable with the right tone. just watch the night manager and is great. and cavill in fallout is believable.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I am not happy with any of the ones mentioned so far. I do hope another actor, one not talked about recently, will come along and be pretty darn perfect for the role.
  • He's pretty much an unknown at the moment, but Irish actor Laurence O'Fuarain is going to be starring in the Netflix series The Witcher: Blood Origin. He might be someone to keep an eye on.

LAURENCE%2BO%2BFUARAN.JPG

laurence3-2_1.jpg?itok=8wXaN0-h

MV5BMzVlNDM3NzItODRkNi00ZWRmLWE3MGQtNGU4ZjVkMmIyOWZiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwMDg0Ng@@._V1_.jpg

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm6919834/
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 207
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I agree. Just a little too much smugness and not in a good way for Bond in my opinion. Connery and Brosnan had just the right amount.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 175
    talos7 wrote: »
    Isn’t O’Connell 5’7 ?

Yes, the guy is tiny. Here he is standing next to Jeremy Irvine, who isn't exactly a big guy.

jack-oconnell-jeremy-irvine-mingle-with-the-best-of-the-brits-05.jpg

• ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    He's pretty much an unknown at the moment, but Irish actor Laurence O'Fuarain is going to be starring in the Netflix series The Witcher: Blood Origin. He might be someone to keep an eye on.

As some of you may know, I have thrown around names here for quite a while, but at this moment (and I might change my mind tomorrow, who knows) I am leaning towards camp "we haven't even heard of the next Bond actor". This guy might be in with a shot or never get close to it, who knows. But I currently feel like the announcement of the next Bond is quite a ways off. Last week, I was trying to work out how Eon could manage it so that they have a name for the 60th aniversary (which is almost exactly in a year), but the way everything around NTTD seems to shake out, I think they will take a lot more time...

One name I think would be interesting is George Mackay. He's one of the best actors working right now in the UK. I think he will become a huge acting titan, someone with multiple Oscars on his mantlepiece. He isn't the most handsome bloke. However, neither was Craig. But Daniel always had that rugged roughness to him - he undeniably has screen presence. Mackay looks a little more gentle and unremarkable (he doesn't exactly stand out). Nonetheless, I find him a rather exciting choice, especially based on his performance in the Ned Kelly film.

And he's worked with both Craig and Mendes. Wouldn't be my choice, but...it's possible they'll seriously consider him.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    He's pretty much an unknown at the moment, but Irish actor Laurence O'Fuarain is going to be starring in the Netflix series The Witcher: Blood Origin. He might be someone to keep an eye on.

As some of you may know, I have thrown around names here for quite a while, but at this moment (and I might change my mind tomorrow, who knows) I am leaning towards camp "we haven't even heard of the next Bond actor". This guy might be in with a shot or never get close to it, who knows. But I currently feel like the announcement of the next Bond is quite a ways off. Last week, I was trying to work out how Eon could manage it so that they have a name for the 60th aniversary (which is almost exactly in a year), but the way everything around NTTD seems to shake out, I think they will take a lot more time...

I don't think the anniversary would be a main priority for them in relation to this: it's not as if the announcement of a new Bond won't make enough global headlines on its own.
    I think Jack O’Connell would be a cracking choice for an early years (but not origin story) reboot. I do imagine though his take would probably be quite similar to Craig.

I agree they’re similar in some ways, but I think that could actually work in his favour. BB seems much happier with Craig than she was with Brosnan. I think the next Bond is more likely to be that sort of actor (bit of critical cred behind them, dangerous looking) rather than a Henry Cavill type. I could see Callum Turner being in with a shot for similar reasons.

I think he could differentiate himself to Craig if he tried too. He’s been very raw and emotive in everything I’ve seen him in. Bond obviously has more of a stiff upper lip, but if he gave us some hints of that physical presence, hinted something a bit more volatile underneath the stiff upper lip, then I think it could be a fresh take, and it’d set his Bond apart nicely from Craig (who even at his most young and reckless was fairly cold and detached/stoic).
    talos7 wrote: »
    Isn’t O’Connell 5’7 ?

5’8 I think? But personally I’m not bothered. He’s got presence, that’s the main thing. Tom Cruise is 5’6, and that doesn’t stop people from fawning over the new MI films.

I think compensating for his height could make his take feel fairly novel. Like Cillian Murphy in Peaky Blinders, how he manages to dominate the screen in an imposing way despite being shorter than the rest of the cast. I wouldn’t mind seeing a shorter Bond channeling that sort of energy and giving the role a whole new sort of presence. Could be a fresh take.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    These are fictional films shot on videocameras, so height does not matter.

My (realistic) guy is still Richard Madden.
  • baerrttbaerrtt United kingdom
    Eon like taking bold swings these days. I think they will pick an actor of colour. I think they will go for Rege-Jean Page. I wouldn't be surprised if he has met with Eon. He'd be perfect. He is attached to star in The Saint reboot - however, Paramount have overhauled the executive team there and that project might get caught up in the turnaround. It was said that the now exited Paramount film boss, Emma Watts was instrumental in getting Page on board. That may change now.

Perhaps more excitingly, Page has just agreed to star in Noah Hawley's new heist film at Netflix. Those combinations alone make this a film destined for world domination. I do hope that he doesn't just play suave ladykillers and this heist film has an edge to it (Hawley's involvement would suggest so). Craig made his name playing a wide variation of roles. If Page is going to convince as they next 007, he'll need to show that range.

If the do pick a POC I hope it's someone like Sope Dirisu.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    O’Connel just doesn’t look like Bond, and no amount of training will help. He just looks too unconventional. He looks like, and I don’t meant this in a disrespectful way... but he looks like he would have a better chance with that other British institution, Doctor Who.
    O’Connel just doesn’t look like Bond, and no amount of training will help. He just looks too unconventional. He looks like, and I don’t meant this in a disrespectful way... but he looks like he would have a better chance with that other British institution, Doctor Who.

He doesn’t look like Fleming’s Bond, or any of the others, but they all look so different to me that I don’t really have any preference when it comes to looks. As long as they’re good looking enough to make the womanising convincing, and fit enough to make the action convincing, I’m not too bothered. I could see him as the Doctor too to be fair, but he might be too famous for that role now.

Yeah, he’s another name that’s popped up a lot on this thread over the years, and I do think he’s one of the more realistic seeming suggestions. I wasn’t too sure about him before, but he was very good in Bodyguard, so he might have won me over there. Only thing I can see working against him is that he’s in a Marvel film now (can’t remember which, but I saw the trailer before NTTD), so he might be too busy with that franchise. Although with how long the gaps between Bond films are now you never know, maybe they could schedule around eachother.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

I agree. He just looks too much like a punk thug to me, a bit too ratty in my opinion.
    As anyone seen "Wolf" with George Mackay? Or 1917? He's a bit odd, but chameleonic, and already acclaimed. And has worked with Sam Mendes and Daniel Craig.

Dunno, but something tells me he could pull it off. Guy's a character actor.

1630983291_219_James-Bond-these-three-actors-are-approached-to-replace-Daniel.jpg
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I don't see him as Bond but he could play a young Ivan Drago in a Rocky 4 prequel.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

He doesn’t look like Fleming’s Bond, or any of the others, but they all look so different to me that I don’t really have any preference when it comes to looks. As long as they’re good looking enough to make the womanising convincing, and fit enough to make the action convincing, I’m not too bothered. I could see him as the Doctor too to be fair, but he might be too famous for that role now.

Yeah, he’s another name that’s popped up a lot on this thread over the years, and I do think he’s one of the more realistic seeming suggestions. I wasn’t too sure about him before, but he was very good in Bodyguard, so he might have won me over there. Only thing I can see working against him is that he’s in a Marvel film now (can’t remember which, but I saw the trailer before NTTD), so he might be too busy with that franchise. Although with how long the gaps between Bond films are now you never know, maybe they could schedule around eachother.

Eternals! Yeah, you're not wrong about that.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2021 Posts: 13,882

I do get an Eccleston vibe from him, so wouldn't be surprised if he were on RTD's shortlist.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    baerrtt wrote: »

Yeah he convinces a bit more and he’s very good looking.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 295
    Given that Bradley Walsh is dominating UK tv... 88 hours in one week.... maybe he can play Bond too.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-10074641/Tune-Bradleyvision-Walsh-do.html

What ya reckon, Mutley?

• sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    mtm wrote: »
    baerrtt wrote: »

Yeah he convinces a bit more and he’s very good looking.

You see, I just don't find him good-looking, where as Rege-Jean Page I do, so I'd go for Page myself.
  • Regarding Madden, who has been mentioned several times, I think he could have been a frontrunner for Bond if he if he hadn't landed a role in a Marvel movie. It seems likely that The Eternals will be a box-office success and will lead to sequels. In such context, I can't imagine Eon casting an actor who will already be the star of a film series.

Nevertheless, I hope to be wrong as I think he would be perfect for the role.

GQ-UK-Richard-Madden-by-Matthew-Brookes.-Luke-Day-February-2019-www.imageamplified.com-Image-Amplified8_thumb.jpg?resize=662%2C858