The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Oops, just a rating, okay then. ;-) I should have known. Here in Belgium it's either PG 16 or nothing at all. :P You'd be surprised how much stuff gets a pass here. ;-)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The second Silent Hill film has just had a release date set for 26th October this year. I'm sure something else comes out on that day. ;)

http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/open-road-acquires-sequel-silent-hill-revelation-3d/
    Dixit imdb:

SF: 26 October 2012 (Belgium)
    SH: 31 October 2012 (Belgium)

So, I can expect a great Halloween then. :P
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2012 Posts: 13,882
    Having watched the lovely Sara Paxton in Enter Nowhere. I want to see The Innkeepers, and I want to see it now.

552205_403617099665723_118271211533648_1420862_970029739_n.jpg
    ^ Yep, it's a cabin in the woods film.

Good film, had a neat twist that I didn't see coming:
    All four characters are not only related, but are successive generations of the same family: father, daughter, grand daughter & great-grandson).

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Just watched The Inkeepers. Worth waiting for, yes. Unlike another recent-ish film I was anticipating (The Woman), I did enjoy this. Is it better than The House Of The Devil? The film as a whole... I would have to say that it is not. However, there is one aspect where The Innkeepers wins over The House Of The Devil, and that is the lead performance. I found Sara Paxton's Claire a much more endearing character than Jocelin Donahue's Samantha.

Both films , I will no doubt watch many times. But House was the better film overall, though Inn had the better lead performance and the best performance from Paxton i've seen.

Sara Paxton
    **1. The Innkeepers (2011) NE**
    2. Enter Nowhere (2011)
    3. Shark Night (2011)
    4. Return To Halloweentown (2006)
    5. The Last House On The Left (2009)
    6. Aquamarine (2006)
    7. Sidney White (2007)
    8. Sleepover (2004)
    9. Superhero (2008)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2012 Posts: 15,686
    Has anyone seen 'Kill List' ?
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1788391/

Not yet, but I really want to.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Not yet, but I really want to.

Yeah it looks awesome !! :)
    Oupost 3: The Rise Of The Spetnaz begins principle photography.

23 April 2012, Glasgow - Content is delighted to announce principal photography has begun today on the third installment of the OUTPOST franchise, THE RISE OF THE SPETNAZ. The film shoots on location in Glasgow and Yorkshire.

Kieran Parker (Outpost, Outpost: Black Sun) directs from a script penned by Rae Brunton (Outpost, Outpost: Black Sun). The cast includes Bryan Larkin (Battleground) as the lead Russian Dolokhov, and James “The Colossus” Thompson - Ultimate Combat World Heavy Weight Champion as The Berserker.

In the third installment of the hit Nazi Zombie action horror movie, Outpost: Rise Of The Spetnaz, we discover the horrifying origins of these supernatural soldiers and see them in ferocious gladiatorial battle against the most ruthless and notorious of all military special forces: the Russian Spetsnaz.

Produced by Arabella Page Croft and Kieran Parker for Black Camel Pictures and Executive Produced by Nigel Thomas from Matador Pictures and Jamie Carmichael from Content, the film is backed by Matador Pictures, Creative Scotland, Creative Film Finances and SWSSC.

Producer Arabella Page Croft said: “It’s an exciting time at Black Camel. Kieran is the passionate creative producer behind the OUTPOST world and he has long wanted to tell an origins story. It is a natural progression for him to move behind the camera as director so we are all delighted to support his ambitions”.

Matador’s Nigel Thomas said ‘Matador are delighted to be involved in the third film in the Outpost series and to be working with such a hugely talented team. Making a prequel to the highly successful Outpost and recently completed Outpost: Black Sun provides an exciting opportunity for us to return to this popular zombie Nazi franchise.’
    Content’s Jamie Carmichael said: “It’s a fantastic achievement to have created a three film franchise, as that doesn’t happen very often in the UK. It’s a testament to the tenacity of the film makers and the quality and strength of the brand they have created. And it’s great to be a part of it.”
    Creative Scotland’s Robbie Allen said: ‘We are very pleased to be supporting this installment of Black Camel’s series of films. Arabella and Kieran’s achievements are a testament to their boundless energy and dedication. With great partners in Matador and Content, this new foray into the evil world of OUTPOST is set to be a significant creative and commercial success.’

I know I should not comment until i've seen the film, but why do I have a sick feeling in my stomache? They just could not leave it as a stand alone film. I can see this suffering from The Wishmaster syndrome. That is one good film followed by 3 increasingly worse films.
    Total Film have just given their top 50 worst Horror sequels. This should be interesting...

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/50-worst-horror-movie-sequels/

A couple of points:

- I don't think Hellraiser 3 deserves to be on this list. And they leave out Inferno? Madness.

- Wishmaster 3 makes it onto the list, but not Wishmaster 4? The 4th flim feels like it's a different character entirely. Could anyone possibly imagine the Djinn from the original Wishmaster falling in love? No, I thought not.

- Friday The 13th pt V: A New Begining does deserve to make this list. Well done Total Film.

- It may not have been as good as the first film, but I rather liked I Still Know What You Did Last Summer.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited June 2012 Posts: 40,372
    @MajorDSmythe, call me an idiot, but Hellraiser 3 was my favorite. I loved it: I enjoyed the actress in the lead role, and the film had a very scary finale.

Also, I quite enjoyed 'Pet Semetary 2.'

Oh, and if you haven't seen it yet, watch the trailer for 'Sinister': looks very, very creepy.
    I've having a few problems seeing the 'Top 50' list from the Total commercials, sorry, Film, link supplied

No need for any spoiler nonsense here as I haven't seen many horror movies, at least not anymore. Hellraiser was the best they did for sure, above what came after, same as with the original Halloween in 1978. From what I've seen of them, I would also judge 28 Weeks Later as the poorer relation over the original 28 Days Later, that came before it. I couldn't see the list, but was The Poltergeist series included in that, the first they did in 1982 was really quite good and scary enough, but the two sequels were pretty damn awful, some would classify it as horror etc

28 weeks later wasn't as good as the original, not by a long shot, but I don't think it was terrible. Decent enough zombie film.
    28 weeks later wasn't as good as the original, not by a long shot, but I don't think it was terrible. Decent enough zombie film.

28 Weeks Later is a splendid film IMO. Very scary, well acted, great mood. I rank it almost as high as 28 Days Later.

I prefer '28 weeks' to '28 days'. :)
    A sequel that wasn't close to the first (which sequel ever is?) but was still enjoyable and highly anticipated for me was 'The Descent.' That has to be my favorite horror movie, and I felt like I waited decades for the sequel.

I'm terms of scares, 'The Descent' or 'Insidious' has to be the scariest film I've ever watched.
    Agreed about The Descent. I simply love this film. Watched it in theatres back in the day and I swear I couldn't have seen it coming. I had understood it was a scary film but man, it really was. Its sequel, much - much less.
    @DarthDimi, I visited a friend in South Carolina around the time of release, and luckily enough, he worked at a theater where his manager allowed him, his two friends, and I a chance to screen the movie on Thursday night, all to ourselves, to make sure that the film worked for the opening day release for Friday. So, there was just four of us in the middle of this giant, dark theater, watching it. It had to have been one of the greatest moviegoing experiences I've ever had.
    I saw the descent once, it was not too bad a film, but -
    It was too dark most of the time, couldn't make out was going on sometimes, a sort of resident evil below the ground etc, a bit gruesome and bloody, but it was some decent entertainment, from what I remember I couldn't quite understand the ending either
    Here's my explanation of the ending, @Baltimore_007:
    There were two endings shipped to theaters: one for the UK and one for the US. In the United States, our ending stopped where yours didn't: Sarah falls down the hole, finds a pile of bones, climbs up then, and escapes the cave. She then runs to the car, gets the keys, drives out to the road, and then stops on the side of the road to puke. An 18-wheeler flies by her and she gets scared, and as she turns to look at the passenger seat, the camera pans and you see Juno - the one she stuck in the leg and left for dead - in the passenger seat. Sarah screams and it ends.

In the UK ending, as soon as Sarah screams, she wakes up, and sees her daughter in front of her with her birthday cake. You realize that the hole she fell down into was another subsystem, but, dreaming or not, Sarah is happy to finally be with her daughter. As the camera pans out, you see hundreds of other subsystems, and you hear the screams of other mutants, and it ends. The second one begins by taking the ending of the US version and going from there. I hope this helps!
    B-D.com com have posted a horror quiz <a href="http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3149971/special-feature-the-ultimate-horror-challenge-whats-your-score/">here</a>;

Simply count how many of the 61 films you've seen, to see what category. I scored 30/61 - Hardcore.

Childs Play
    Childs Play 2
    Childs Play 3
    Bride Of Chucky
    Seed Of Chucky

And now...

<a href="http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3149679/omfg-childs-play-sequel-begins-casting-its-the-curse-of-chucky/>Curse Of Chucky</a>
    You hear of the new Chucky movie (with Brad Dourif returning) that is shooting this year?

I got 33/61 - Hardcore.
    Curse Of Chucky, but this one won't have Jen Tilly.
    Is the new Chucky being released in cinemas or is it straight to DVD?
    edited June 2012 Posts: 13,882
    See below.
    I've always loved Brad Dourif, especially in 'Deadwood' and 'Halloween,' but the Chucky films got worse and worse as time went in. I might give this one a shot, though.
    'Deliverance' turns 40 today!

Deliverance40.jpg
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    'Deliverance' turns 40 today!

Deliverance40.jpg
    I think it's time to celebrate with a little music:

:D
    Very good choice. The video hadn't embedded in the first few seconds, and I read your text first, and thought "He could only be choosing one video for that embed." Good man.