NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions vs. Current Reactions

Comments

Birdleson wrote: »
    This movie will divide viewers100 years from now.

After seeing it, I think it may not be such a big deal in even a year. I'm pretty sure the film will be judged on elements and merits, not mainly on Bond's death.

I don't know why, but when I was actually seeing it happen, after having been spoiled and very uncomfortable with the idea of Bond dying, it was kind of a dud moment. I don't like it, I wish they didn't go that route, but it didn't and doesn't bother me all that much either. The mere fact that it seemed so unnecessary, yet studied, makes me almost dismiss it.
    Thanks for the perspective. Hopefully it will go this way for me tomorrow at 1:10. I’m going to see the film after basically the same process you went through with the spoilers. Came very close to not going.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 12
    This could have been a 9/10 movie with two tweaks : ditch Nomi completely and have her replaced with Paloma; the chemistry she shared with Bond was just wasted potential to only have them together on screen for 10 minutes.
    Make Blofeld the big bad of the movie by outplaying Safin. It would have been more impactful to have 2 archenemies kill each other rather than some random late-introduced villain killing off Bond.
    Univex wrote: »
    Good old George. Still the man who starred in the best film in the series ;)

Ain't that the truth. He seems such a good sport and I'm glad he's no longer shunned by fans or the media and still having time to shine in the limelight.
    Bond765 wrote: »
    This could have been a 9/10 movie with two tweaks : ditch Nomi completely and have her replaced with Paloma; the chemistry she shared with Bond was just wasted potential to only have them together on screen for 10 minutes.
    Make Blofeld the big bad of the movie by outplaying Safin. It would have been more impactful to have 2 archenemies kill each other rather than some random late-introduced villain killing off Bond.

I agree with Nomi being pretty dispensable. I adored Paloma but my heart would have been in my mouth the whole film fearing she might not make it and be the sacrificial lamb.

I really liked the Safin character, and I suppose a brand new lead villain is a better USP for the film, but a shame we were so close to a confrontation between Bond and Blofeld on that island with "Die Blofeld, Die" said in the right context.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    bondywondy wrote: »
    bondywondy wrote: »
    Most film goers are not genuine fans so won't care Bond is dead. As I mentioned earlier in this thread... a true fan has an emotional connection to the source material. For example Rian Johnson was not a true Star Wars fan. He got to direct Star Wars ep 8 and decided Luke was to toss away his lightsaber as if were chewing gum. Any true fan would know that was disrespectful to the source material

Really? The same Luke who tossed his lightsaber away and declared himself a Jedi at the end of RETURN OF THE JEDI?

Lol, whatever buddy.

What scene is that? I thought Luke was Jedi at the start of ROTJ when he easily manages to break into Jabba's Palace to rescue Han.

Do you have a time mark for your comment? I'll be happy to check out the scene and report back. Pardon my going off topic.

main-qimg-106b5dfc9b0b01dd7e60c7711949ff7f
    Cowley wrote: »
    I really liked the Safin character

I did too. I found him quite magnetic to watch actually. The previews and some non-spoilery stuff had all implied he was useless so I was worried going in, and then to my surprise I found him to be a genuinely scary and eerie character.

He did seem quite ‘Fleming’ to me, more so than Blofeld TBH.

Overall a solid 9/10 film for me, some weaknesses but nothing that holed the film below the waterline.

Biggest weakness was probably Blofeld. He was actually much better in SP, IMO. But the Blofeld scene in this film was diabolical.

Some very minor niggles. I do not believe for one moment that bullet proof glass, no matter how thick, can take that level of a hammering which the DB5 took.

Secondly if the wristwatch EMP can blow up Cyclops’ eyeball, why doesn’t it blow up Bond’s earpiece? That’s electronic too. But hey, plot armour, and all that.

To people who have seen it a few times - does DC break the 4th wall at one point, and glance directly at the camera? - I thought he did so when Paloma took him into the wine cellar. But it was very fast and I might have made it up. He breaks the wall in QOS too, so I’m cool with that.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited October 2021 Posts: 7,518
    My reaction to the end of the film: This DEFINITELY never happened to the other fella!
  • Just got home from seeing NTTD for the second time and i love it even more now (if that's possible). So much happens in this film and i was totally in awe the first time. There was so much to absorb in one visit. Its such a beautiful looking film, stylish with stunning locations and i thought that the forest scenes were very creepy - as was Safin.

I thought that the entire cast were excellent. I loved Paloma and i've certainly warmed to Madeline. Daniel was simply perfect throughout (in my opinion) funny, serious, and had some very touching moments that almost got me welling up. The score is absolutely brilliant and so beautiful in places. It still amazes me that the film is close to three hours. It doesn't feel like that to me - the film just flows along wonderfully. It went even faster the second time. I'm not done with it yet. I want to see it again over the next few days. Everyone has their own opinions, it would be a boring world if we all thought the same - but for me, NTTD is up there with CR - its brilliant.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Just got home from seeing NTTD for the second time and i love it even more now (if that's possible). So much happens in this film and i was totally in awe the first time. There was so much to absorb in one visit. Its such a beautiful looking film, stylish with stunning locations and i thought that the forest scenes were very creepy - as was Safin.

I thought that the entire cast were excellent. I loved Paloma and i've certainly warmed to Madeline. Daniel was simply perfect throughout (in my opinion) funny, serious, and had some very touching moments that almost got me welling up. The score is absolutely brilliant and so beautiful in places. It still amazes me that the film is close to three hours. It doesn't feel like that to me - the film just flows along wonderfully. It went even faster the second time. I'm not done with it yet. I want to see it again over the next few days. Everyone has their own opinions, it would be a boring world if we all thought the same - but for me, NTTD is up there with CR - its brilliant.

I agree with you 100%. I also thought Craig looked better than ever as well. Two gripes I had:
    I still think Blofeld was done dirty. Would have loved to see him escape.
    The emotional beats didn't hit me quite as hard as I would have hoped.
  • echo wrote: »
    I loved how prickly Bond was toward M and the dangerous situation M created. The man wasn't his superior anymore; Bond owed him no deference.

And I'm pretty sure Craig and Fiennes enjoyed playing new dimensions of their characters.

I loved several of M’s moments throughout this film. When he finds out Bond is working with Felix he mentions that the CIA have the advantage. Also when Bond and M have their first briefing together and M is disregarding Bond’s attempts to see Blofeld, only at the end to order Nomi to search Blofeld’s prison cell, shows the faith he still has in Bond. It’s nice little moments like that which I want M to give and he did. Very similar to M having a go at Bond in GoldenEye only to say “come back alive” right at the end.
    Missed opportunity with Cyclops: he should have had a gold plated bionic eye for when Bond used his EMP watch.
  • Just got back from seeing it. Loved it. Felt like I almost shouldn't have loved it, because Bond is a character defined by his DEtachment, and here we see a Bond who has evolved toward more emotional availability (the Vesper scene I believe was the biggest signifier that he has changed quite a bit).

Craig's performance is so remarkably different than in the four prior films. All of those have their own quirks, but here he has lost almost all of the swagger. There's a lot more genuine vulnerability, openness, his emotions aren't nearly as buried (he yells more in this film than Bond has ever yelled ever combined, by a very very wide margin).

Some of that stuff should've bothered me, because I like Bond detached, I like Bond burying things.

I don't know. It worked. The camp worked. I loved the campy nature of the plot and the gadgets. The humor worked, the emotional beats almost universally worked for me.

Bond evolved. Craig's performance evolved. The film gave Bond something to live for and thus, something to die for.

I can TOTALLY see why people don't like this. I'm glad I liked it.
    Is there a lot of camp in NTTD?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Unreal film! Incredible. Looks like Dan broke the curse
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    No there is NOT camp in NTTD. Some humor might be slightly camp? But is is not a problem. One of the films that has the fewest actual campy vibes in the whole history of Bond movies.
    I dunno , the blowing your mind gag is a pretty great groaner
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Well I’ve just seen the film. Despite the ending not being spoiled directly I was aware of the fact that Bond would probably die after getting a sense of the polarization. Very bold story but I’m not sure what to think of the ending. Also, Valdo must be the most annoying character in the entire series and not in a good way. The rest of the film was pretty brilliant though.
    Oh the mind blowing line - I think that is the ONLY one though that went that far. I am pretty darn sure most of this did not have even the usual share of truly campy humor.
    I loved the mind blown. I love pretty much all Bond’s puns
  • EinoRistoSiniahoEinoRistoSiniaho Oulu, Finland
    Cowley wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    Good old George. Still the man who starred in the best film in the series ;)

Ain't that the truth. He seems such a good sport and I'm glad he's no longer shunned by fans or the media and still having time to shine in the limelight.
    The man had some terrible luck during his career. Granted, he turned down contract with EON, but his second shot was crippled by the death of Bruce Lee - who was becoming the biggest action "brand" in the world. GL did do three films to Golden Harvest, of which The Man From Hong Kong is a wonderful mix of Bondian stuff and kung fu. Lazenby plays the villain and does a really good job, acting wise.
    And both GL and DC did serve Her Majesty really well.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited October 2021 Posts: 10,586
    Yeah I did love the puns in the movie as well.

Question, at which point is Mathilde definitively revealed as Bond’s daughter? I knew going in that she would be but when I was watching - it went from Madeleine claiming she wasn’t to Safin claiming she was? I don’t recall a reveal in the middle.
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    So sad. Just saw it. Damn. Damn. Damn it all. They killed him.

Good to see the homage to the Locque murder though.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 9,730
    Just got back

Wow I …. I have no idea how to feel I don’t hate it but yeah

And what is crazy
    bond dying was not the part that made me well upset.. Paloma saying no to him and the 007 joke got old real quick ….

Don’t get me wrong I didn’t want Bond to die but it didn’t upset me

I need to see it more

Also what is up with the Robert Brown painting are we really in the same universe as Dalton?
    The Robert Brown painting is just an Easter egg. Nothing to overthink.
  • When I say camp I don’t mean that in a bad way. Not at all. The quips worked this time moreso than in SP, I thought. And I also appreciated how it was willing to really go there in terms of outlandishness.
    For me a lot of camp is too far afield, though I enjoy all the Bond movies through all the years.
    OK, this could be very interesting. I have not read it yet, but here you go.
    What stunning cinematography in this film!
  • Just finished seeing the film. All I can say is wow. Even though I knew his death was coming, I cried like a baby.

Honestly, prior to seeing the film I didn't care for the fact that they:
    - Modified the gunbarrel (again)
    - Feature/recycle OHMSS music so prominently
    - Brought back the female lead and villan from the last film (that I didn't care for)
    - Gave Bond another "equal" sidekick
    - Gave away Bond's title as 007
    - Gave Bond a child
    - Killed Felix
    - AND killed Bond
    But damn, did they ever handle it expertly. I feel better about it now. For darn near the whole 2-3/4 hour I was on the edge of my seat. It's hard for me like a film with a downer ending - and one that is so bold in its decisions - but I have to give credit where it's due. Very moving film.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    The Robert Brown painting is just an Easter egg. Nothing to overthink.

That was certainly one of the highlights of the film for me, I’ve always felt bad that Brown was the forgotten M, sandwiched between the two heavy weights. I hope that whatever they do for the next Bond, they have all three portraits up at MI6 with no explanation.

There’s supposed to be one for Lee too, but I didn’t spot it. Supposed to be the same prop used in TWINE.
    No there is NOT camp in NTTD. Some humor might be slightly camp? But is is not a problem. One of the films that has the fewest actual campy vibes in the whole history of Bond movies.

Thanks. That is good to know!
    It’s definitely the most fantastical of the Craig films on a technological level. Fitting for worldwide stakes.