Moore's yell in AVTAK

edited June 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 11,189
Has anyone else noticed that in AVTAK the same, rather distinctive, sound-effect of Moore yelling is used 4 times?
1. On the Eiffel tower when Mayday almost forces him over the edge with her butterfly fishing rod thing.
2. When the first trap is launched by Zorin during the steeplechase.
3. When he narrowly misses the antenna while hanging from Zorin's blimp.
4. When he falls from the GG bridge but clings on to Zorin's "Mooring" rope.

That grunt is also used in OP when Bond and a thug fall out a window in OP's palace.

Comments

Yep :) it's funny how a there are quite a few of the same voices and screams used ...like the one for Necros when he falls off the back of the herc and the scream of the bad guy who's name I can never remember in the PTS of Moonraker
  • Yep :) it's funny how a there are quite a few of the same voices and screams used ...like the one for Necros when he falls off the back of the herc and the scream of the bad guy who's name I can never remember in the PTS of Moonraker
    Also the same yell is used for Gobinda's death in Octopussy, I believe.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I suppose it's one of Roger's characteristics, like Sean's pronounciation of certain words or Roger's eye lid thing.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Moved from News to Movies
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    Yep :) it's funny how a there are quite a few of the same voices and screams used ...like the one for Necros when he falls off the back of the herc and the scream of the bad guy who's name I can never remember in the PTS of Moonraker

And also exactly the same scream is used for one of the mercenaries burning to death on the bridge in Roger Moore's 'The Wild Geese', now never having actually been burnt to death myself I can't actually speak with any voice of experience but it wouldn't be my first choice of scream for that sort of death, I would probably opt for a more low pitch gurgling, rasping sound punctuated with short, sharp intakes of breath, though as far as the Bond films go I would be more than happy to fall to my death using their 'falling off an aeroplane' scream.

Thank goodness someone finally noticed this! Every time I watch OP and AVTAK, I can't help but laugh when he lets out this unusual yell! Also, that same "falling through the air scream" was used by the Apollo Jet pilot, Gobinda, and Necros. There may be others who use that ame scream, but at the moment I can't think of any others.
  • SharkShark Banned

It's the "Wilhelm scream" stock sound effect. Used in dozens of films, not just Bond.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_scream

• edited June 2011 Posts: 11,189
    The "falling-to-the-death" scream in Bond films is different from the Wilhelm scream:

WILHELM SCREAM:

BOND SCREAM:

Its Bond's Wilhelm Scream ;)

I just thought in AVTAK's case it was particularly funny as it was the same sound on four separate occasions. Lazy but funny editing.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Before entering this thread I was about to say, it's Bond's equivalent to the Wilhelm Scream. At least the Bond films have something new and actually founded by themself!
  • SharkShark Banned
    Before entering this thread I was about to say, it's Bond's equivalent to the Wilhelm Scream. At least the Bond films have something new and actually founded by themself!
    You forgot "did." ;-)
    By my count, I think Roger uses the signature yell at least three times in AVTAK. Once when May Day wraps his legs up and attempts to throw him off the Eiffel Tower, another when hanging on the mooring rope and the antenna whacks his spot, and then another when the mooring rope snaps off of the bridge and he falls over the suspension cable.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 1,778
    It's simple. Moore was trying to create his version of the Wilhelm scream. It should've caught on and been used for any action hero in his mid 50s or above. ;)
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 5,767
    Doublepost.
    Gotta watch AVTAK again :-) .
    never noticed to be honest? ;))
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I always find Rogs AVTAK yelp utterly preposterous. The bloke sounds like he's undergoing a clumsy colonoscopy rather than dangling from an airship.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    There's nothing surprising about the same sounds being used for the same actor (especially in one film) as overdubbing of even famous actors - usually by themselves - is very common in film and TV productions.

Often it's used at a director's discretion if background noise has affected the audibility of the original soundtrack's dialogue. Or, as is the case most common in the OP's examples I'd guess, it was used supposedly to enhance the scene. Suspect that's often a reason why it's used in Hollywood films today too, only as effects - sound and visual effects - become more and more sophisticated it's less obvious nowadays than in older flicks...
    Could someone type out would the Rog scream sounds like? Just for fun. Ohhoo!!!
    "Oh-o-oaaaoohhhhhhhhh ah-oh-ah"
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    BAIN123 wrote:
    "Oh-o-oaaaoohhhhhhhhh ah-oh-ah"

Don't know about you, but that's exactly the noise I make when I get out of bed these days... ;)
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 4,813
    That's the sound I make when I get into bed!

quagmire.gif

* actually, that sounds horrifying.....
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I actually prefer Brosnan's scream... something like 'Auuuuughhhhhheuhhhhh'
  • I always find Rogs AVTAK yelp utterly preposterous. The bloke sounds like he's undergoing a clumsy colonoscopy rather than dangling from an airship.

And without lubrication to boot.

Irma Bunt with her arse on fire and Necros' final scream before someone needed a spatula to scrape up what's left of him are good ones that come to mind for me.
    It's simply a sound effect used once and duplicated many times over in Moore's tenure, but we don't always notice it once the actions' underway. For a start we shouldn't even have a 57 year old James Bond in front of us, but it was Moore's stunt double that did most of the action that year. I remember in the early releases of the 1960s, Connery was doing a lot of hmmms, but that wasn't quite so annoying or warranted attention as Moore in the 1980s. Also as stated above, all Bond fans will recognize straight away the Wilhelm Scream of certain action bits such as the teaser of Moonraker, or Gobinda on the Airplane, or Necros on the cargo plane, you think to yourself, Have I heard that before? - and Yes, you have!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2012 Posts: 13,882
    The only yell I can hear in AVTAK is my own, i'm yeling for the abomination to end.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The only yell I can hear in AVTAK is my own, i'm yeling for the abomination to end.

You have to admit the scene where Moore climbs down the ladder in San-Fransisco, with the epic Barry cue... is just a great scene :)

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    I'm almost tempted to watch this again just to hear the scream, but as the Blu-ray set is coming end of September do I really want to watch AVTAK twice in one year?
    Probably not…you'd hear me do that scream then!
    edited June 2012 Posts: 15,686
    do I really want to watch AVTAK twice in one year?

watching any Moore film twice is not enough /:)
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    do I really want to watch AVTAK twice in one year?

watching any Moore film twice is not enough /:)

Ah, but I've already seen it m(o)ore times than is good for one! But am sorely tempted…just to hear that scream (his, not mine!)
    edited June 2012 Posts: 15,686
    Nevermind the Moore yell in AVTAK.... what about the extremely disgusting 'ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh' sound he makes when in the shower with Stacey ? Vert disturbing thought as to what the 2 characters were doing in that shower..... especially a 57 years old male.