NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I must have listened to the NTTD score 20 times since I bought it, its even better after seeing the film. I love the track Message from an Old Friend. Best score since QoS IMO.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 644
    Best score since QoS IMO.
    Haha, that’s not much of an endorsement. Granted the score was the best thing about QOS but on the whole it was a pretty underwhelming affair, compared to past Bond scores. Even a step down from Arnold’s previous CR. Especially the action music is too noisy and incoherent. I do like the opening car chase music and the rainy London music and “A Night at the Opera” but everything else was pretty bland.

Newman’s SF was a major step up from QoS. But then we were let down by SP.

• MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I must have listened to the NTTD score 20 times since I bought it, its even better after seeing the film. I love the track Message from an Old Friend. Best score since QoS IMO.

The last 30 seconds are so f-ing awesome!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Mallory wrote: »

The last 30 seconds are so f-ing awesome!

Listening to that track again now, love the sinister Spectre vibe in some parts of the track.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    I thought it was ok. A little disappointed in a way with Zimmer. It was infinitely preferable to what Newman served us up, but I have to say, the only tracks that stood out where the ones that he reused John Barry's cues.

Also on a side note, am I the only one that noticed he also reused a couple of tracks from The Dark Knight Rises?
    Roadphill wrote: »
    I thought it was ok. A little disappointed in a way with Zimmer. It was infinitely preferable to what Newman served us up, but I have to say, the only tracks that stood out where the ones that he reused John Barry's cues.

Also on a side note, am I the only one that noticed he also reused a couple of tracks from The Dark Knight Rises?

There was a tension building piece of music taken from TDKR that morph's into the Bond theme.

The score has got better for me though I have listened to it a lot, and now I associate each piece of music with the part of the film it appears in its made a big difference for me.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Listening to the score on its own I think its pretty mediocre and forgettable. I expected great things from Zimmer. It works OK with the film I guess, but it's proper background music, whereas Bond scores should be front and centre IMO.

In terms of standing on its own and after admittedly only one listen I'd say at the moment it's the worst Bond score of the lot. Even Goldeneye had it's moments.

• marcmarc Universal Exports
    For me, it's a Top 10 Bond score; I like the somewhat bombastic action cues.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 23,104
    I love the NTTD score I cant stop listening to it, admittedly I am a fan of Zimmer I like what he has done here and the way the Bond theme is incorporated into different tracks.

I also like how aggressive some of the themes are, it reflects Craig's badass Bond for me.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I get to finally see this tomorrow, I can't wait to hear Cuba Chase in the film itself. I love what that track brings, it's very exciting and flavorful stuff.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I get to finally see this tomorrow, I can't wait to hear Cuba Chase in the film itself. I love what that track brings, it's very exciting and flavorful stuff.

To me, it is easily my favourite part of the film, and the score definitely amplifies it.

That is a fun scene when Cuba Chase plays, hope you enjoy the film I was locked in from the start.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Best action track on the album and equally, probably the best scene in the film.

Best action track on the album and equally, probably the best scene in the film.

That's what I love to hear. I'm most excited for the PTS, the Cuba sequence and the finale, I think. Nearly 24 hours until I'm sitting in the theater, I can't believe it's so close now.

That's what I love to hear. I'm most excited for the PTS, the Cuba sequence and the finale, I think. Nearly 24 hours until I'm sitting in the theater, I can't believe it's so close now.

I hope you enjoy it, @Creasy47

I think the PTS is truly sublime stuff and the Cuba sequence is prime Bond. I have my reservations about pretty much everything else, but I hope I feel different on subsequent rewatches. All in all, a Bond film like no other - for better or for worse.

I think the PTS is truly sublime stuff and the Cuba sequence is prime Bond. I have my reservations about pretty much everything else, but I hope I feel different on subsequent rewatches. All in all, a Bond film like no other - for better or for worse.

Thanks, I hope so too. Currently, I'm firmly in the camp that I'll enjoy it - the snippets of footage I've seen are solid, the bits of score I like are ones I really enjoy, and I think I've been able to come to terms with the spoilers enough that I'll be properly ready in advance of them. Either way, it sounds like an installment unlike so many others we've gotten so I'm ready to see if it shocks me in how great it is or if I'm let down once again.

Thanks, I hope so too. Currently, I'm firmly in the camp that I'll enjoy it - the snippets of footage I've seen are solid, the bits of score I like are ones I really enjoy, and I think I've been able to come to terms with the spoilers enough that I'll be properly ready in advance of them. Either way, it sounds like an installment unlike so many others we've gotten so I'm ready to see if it shocks me in how great it is or if I'm let down once again.

This is exactly it. I often wonder about spoilers - sometimes a film does things so radical that it often serves to prepare yourself for them.

I hope it lands on your good side!

@CraigMooreOHMSS You have summed up my feelings on NTTD more eloquently than I have been able to thus far.

This is exactly it. I often wonder about spoilers - sometimes a film does things so radical that it often serves to prepare yourself for them.

I hope it lands on your good side!

Me too! Hell, at this rate, even if it's a middle-of-the-road installment for me, I'll be very, very happy. If it fits nicely in between CR/QoS and SF/SP for me in rankings, I'll also be happy.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 8,009
    @Mallory I'm happy to hear that, thank you. It's a very difficult film to describe without giving too much away. A work colleague asked me about it on Zoom on Monday, knowing that I am a Bond fan and that I would have seen it already, and I genuinely struggled to put my feelings into words. I never thought I'd ever have that problem with a Bond film, but NTTD absolutely is that kind of film.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    zebrafish wrote: »
    Did anyone catch a glimpse of the end credits where they list the songs used in the movie? We already had the one in French by Dalida (missed that somehow) and the one in the Jamaica club. Who knows the one in Q's apartment? Is it Yma Sumac?

There's another song in French that young Madeleine listens on her Walkman, "J't'emmène au vent", by Louise Attaque, which was a huge hit in France in 1997. It's in the end credits.

Also in the end credits, Johnny Marr is listed, alongside Jason Bonham (John's son) on drums.

• brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    WIkipedia: does anyone have these in MP3 form I wonder?

No Time to Die: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack is the soundtrack album to the 25th James Bond film of the same name. The 12" vinyl album version features an additional four short music cues listed only as Q1, Q2, Q3 as Q4.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'm most excited for the PTS, the Cuba sequence and the finale, I think.

Funnily, one scene of the PTS, the whole Cuba sequence with Paloma and the very last scene of the movie are my 3 favourite parts of NTTD.
    Ok I have listened to this score 30 times, I think its very good.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I really like the score. Its darker moments play a bit like the Emperor's theme from Star Wars. Zimmer blended the Bond Theme well with the rest of the score. There are some really cool action cues all around. And the romantic moments, especially when hinting at Billie's song, are spot-on.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I loved the scoring of the break in to the lab, that was fantastic and really added to the danger of the seen
  • Interresting, now I want to heat them in intregrality. Not have vinyl lector, why the bonus are only on the "outdated" technology...

outdated? vinyl has surpassed cd sales for 3 years now :P

I also can't remember hearing this 4 cues in the movie
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 3,160
    Zimmer used the same cue as Arnold in CR, although a different key?
    (01:00-01:15)

(01:20-01:35)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited October 2021 Posts: 5,921
    @Mallory I'm happy to hear that, thank you. It's a very difficult film to describe without giving too much away. A work colleague asked me about on Zoom on Monday, knowing that I am a Bond fan and that I would have seen it already, and I genuinely struggled to put my feelings into words. I never thought I'd ever have that problem with a Bond film, but NTTD absolutely is that kind of film.

Once again, I find myself agreeing with you. I saw NTTD last night for the first time and I don't fully know what I think about this one yet.

I did enjoy
    Vesper's theme, for the continuity. I liked that Zimmer was unafraid to use other composers' work. The Barry lifts, while superior pieces of music, didn't really fit for me with this iteration of Bond. But then again, neither did the Robert Brown portrait!
  • Marc_Ange_Drac0Marc_Ange_Drac0 Sao Paulo
    Very good one, but IMO sound pretty much like Batman’s Nolan trilogy. If you connect the dots, NTTD score seems like a hero movie.