NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    In Norway, it has broken the opening record for Bond, and has the 9th biggest opening numbers of any films ever. I have colleagues who havent been to the cinema in years who went to see this. Packed theatres every time. I noticed that the local cinema planned on one screening daily during the weekdays, but has changed that to four, and it runs in the biggest theatre.
    I'm very happy with all these good news, they assure the series continuation, as well as some pressure to make the next entry at the same level of production values, and maybe quicker than we think.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 137
    I've just been told the film is tracking to easily hit $150-$170 million prior to its U.S (8th Oct) and Chinese (29th Oct) market releases. An analyst friend says that this is a super-conservative estimate and really does signal a significant re-awaking of the sector driven by Bond.

Now I'm not bashing Tenet, but I think as frustrating as the delays have been, those behind the release strategy of NTTD did get it right. Tenet in its entire, but limited, release managed $365 million combined (international and domestic)

I'd love to know how many of those people, seeing NTTD, are like myself - someone who needed a second viewing to fully process the story's overall impact?

I'm certainly primed to get back in the cinema for the likes of Dune!
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    @NeverSayNeverAgain I have seen it twice and will definitely be seeing it a good 3-4 more times, even if I do have ongoing and unresolved issues with the second half. Need to make the most of a Bond film in cinemas, its been six years since the last.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 6,665
    Won't be seeing it another time, just because the bloody cinema keeps projecting blurred and darkened films. What a shame.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Univex wrote: »
    Won't be seeing it another time, just because the bloody cinema keeps projecting blurred and darkened films. What a shame.

That does sound extremely annoying. Hoping for some good projections when I see it on the 6th and 7th.
  • I've seen this film 3 times so far. First of all, don't go to VUE cinema to watch this. The sound of the action was fine but the sound of the dialogue was ridiculously low. I had to complain to the management about it. I have issues with this film that starts mainly after Cuba but I'm warming to it all. I really love the action of Bond making his wY up the stairs of Safin's lair. The accompanying music (opening the doors, I believe) is just...brilliant
  • I've just been told the film is tracking to easily hit $150-$170 million prior to its U.S (8th Oct) and Chinese (29th Oct) market releases. An analyst friend says that this is a super-conservative estimate and really does signal a significant re-awaking of the sector driven by Bond.

Now I'm not bashing Tenet, but I think as frustrating as the delays have been, those behind the release strategy of NTTD did get it right. Tenet in its entire, but limited, release managed $365 million combined (international and domestic)

I'd love to know how many of those people, seeing NTTD, are like myself - someone who needed a second viewing to fully process the story's overall impact?

I'm certainly primed to get back in the cinema for the likes of Dune!

I'm seeing Dune at a preview tomorrow. I saw NTTD at IMAX Waterloo this morning and will definitely go back for another look next week. A lot of positives but I found the plot a little confusing.

Jimjambond wrote: »
    I've seen this film 3 times so far. First of all, don't go to VUE cinema to watch this. The sound of the action was fine but the sound of the dialogue was ridiculously low. I had to complain to the management about it. I have issues with this film that starts mainly after Cuba but I'm warming to it all. I really love the action of Bond making his wY up the stairs of Safin's lair. The accompanying music (opening the doors, I believe) is just...brilliant

That scene is one of the few things about the film I didn't like so much. It seems very computer game like to me.
    So, let's say NTTD adds another $50M through Thursday from current markets. It opens in the US to $80M (F-Su). Other new markets in Russia, France, etc. add another $50M F-Su, and current markets add another $30M during the same frame. That gives NTTD $331M(+\-) by the 11th. I think that's conservative. NTTD could open higher in the US and other new markets, and continue to outperform in current markets. $350-360 by 10/11 isn't impossible and may be likely. By the time China opens at the end of the month, NTTD could be close to $500M. If NTTD hits $600M+ by the time Australia opens on 11/11 then a billion is in play.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Univex wrote: »
    I'm very happy with all these good news, they assure the series continuation, as well as some pressure to make the next entry at the same level of production values, and maybe quicker than we think.

Exactly. I was worried that Covid-19 might effectively kill the franchise, but it's actually doing surprisingly well.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Graham Rye has been spreading negative IMDb user reviews. Though I don’t think he ever liked Craig’s run, if I’m not mistaken.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Graham Rye has been spreading negative IMDb user reviews. Though I don’t think he ever liked Craig’s run, if I’m not mistaken.

I've never seen Graham not being exceedingly grumpy.
    It’s no wonder he’s never welcomed in today’s Bond fan circles. He’d probably just rant at Calvin if they had a YouTube chat.

I've never seen Graham not being exceedingly grumpy.

He's always looked like a miserable bloke - like he was above the very subject that he'd largely dedicated his life to. I once bought a copy of 007 magazine and he was really grumpy when I inquired about purchasing another one. When I look at the likes of Calvin and David Z (Bond Experience), I think they're far better ambassadors for Bond fandom as a whole.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I confess, I am actually Graham Rye.

Impossible.

You’re too nice, Major.
    Ok - I’ll bite. Was it Craig’s appointment that caused you to lose interest? Also, can I still get a copy of edition 20 - think that was a TLD special - admittedly I requested a copy when I was about 19, I'm now 42 - but you've got to be in it to win it.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Impossible.

You’re too nice, Major.

Bless your heart.

Alright, I confess again, i’m not Graham Rye. He has probably never bored another person to tears talking about JCVD movies. That’s the giveaway.

Funnily enough, I saw something about Graham Ryle on Facebook, a few days ago. Couldn’t tell you what it was though, as I didn’t stop to read it.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/no-time-die-opens-with-121-mln-international-box-office-sales-2021-10-04/

Official numbers: $121.3 million opening international weekend, with the highest opening three-day weekend ever in the UK and Ireland for a Bond movie.
    Ok - I’ll bite. Was it Craig’s appointment that caused you to lose interest? Also, can I still get a copy of edition 20 - think that was a TLD special - admittedly I requested a copy when I was about 19, I'm now 42 - but you've got to be in it to win it.

I don't know why, but this is one of the most genuinely hilarious internet comments I've ever read.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 4,400

CNBC are reporting that NTTD is on track to become the first pandemic-era film to reach $100m on opening weekend.

This is kinda huge. I hope it happens. Personally, I'm skeptical as Bond skews older and the audience shown most willing to return to cinemas are younger men. The same people who would folk to see Venom 2. there is a lot of crossover there with Bond's target demographic, but to reach those big numbers on opening weekend, you'd need older auds to return and I can't see them racing out so early. Before the Europe numbers, I'd say NTTD would be lucky to hit $50m on its domestic opening weekend. Currently, I think it will reach something closer to SP's $70m. Which would be damn good!

However, if the UK numbers are anything to go by, people want a good excuse to return to cinemas. What better excuse than a 007 film. I'm just so glad that this film is getting this kind of attention and we aren't reading box office autopsies. I think there are numerous reasons this film is performing so well and seems on track to do wel in the USA, namely:
    • It's Daniel Craig's finale and has been sold as the culmination of his previous films.
    • The marketing is playing up the film's 'secrets' and big reveals. People want to experience those in cinemas.
    • This film has become a cultural talking point - purely by being the movie delayed the most by the pandemic. If anything, the pandemic has fuelled the mystique around this film.
    • Ana De Armas! Rami Malek! Billie Eilish! Phoebe Waller-Bridge!
    • The marketplace is saturated with kid-friendly superhero films, Bond is a more grown-up franchise vehicle.
    • The gap between films has amped up anticipation.
    I'm very happy we get to write lists like this, opposed to ones explaining why it did not live up to expectations.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    A $100 million domestic opening weekend would be out of this world. It would be the biggest opening ever for a Bond film... and during a pandemic.
    matt_u wrote: »
    A $100 million domestic opening weekend would be out of this world. It would be the biggest opening ever for a Bond film... and during a pandemic.

It makes you wonder how it would have actually done if there was no pandemic.
  • SimonSimon Keeping The British End Up...
    matt_u wrote: »

It makes you wonder how it would have actually done if there was no pandemic.

The timing might be an advantage in some regard, and a bit of a golden move. If it got released into the usual mix of releases, the audience may have been spread thinner, and taken some of the $$ away. The competition at the cinema wasn't all THAT impressive, at least at my local.

Other options at my local are:

Shang-Chi
    Free Guy
    Spirit Untamed
    Candyman
    Paw Patrol
    The Croods 2
    Jungle Cruise
    Space Jam
    The Suicide Squad
    The Snail And The Whale & Zog And The Flying Doctors.

Whatever the circumstances though, impressive numbers regardless.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited October 2021 Posts: 12,459
    Just for my own enjoyment, I am seeing NTTD in the cinema at least 4 times. And I never do that. But not only is the film satisfying for me, but our cinema experience here is safe and relaxing. Those are two important factors for my return. I've already seen it twice. I'm 66 yrs old next month. ;)
    Just for my own enjoyment, I am seeing NTTD in the cinema at least 4 times. And I never do that. But not only is the film satisfying for me, but our cinema experience here is safe and relaxing. Those are two important factors for my return. I've already seen it twice. I'm 66 yrs old next month. ;)

How big is the film in Japan?
    HUGE! Biggest Bond opening of Craig's era. The Japanese, in general, love Bond. I posted early some things. I will find them again. They asked for audience's views in a survey and this group so far has really loved the film, more than any other Craig film. It is doing great box office now.

I don't know why, but this is one of the most genuinely hilarious internet comments I've ever read.

I mean, what’s a guy to do? I just wanted the skinny on Bond and Kara’s relationship.

Obviously he’s a massive Bond fan but jeez, if it’s giving him pleasure, his brain seriously needs to have a word with his face - because he’s not showing it. Looks like he was more active during the Dalton/Brosnan period and I do fondly remember friends having copies of the magazine way back when.

It’s a shame if he’s being salty about Craig and NTTD - that’s my takeaway.

Here's one I read recently. I am now following this guy on twitter.