NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

• Did I hear the music used in The Dark Knight where the people on the boats are deciding if they should blow each other up?
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    It's not from the TDK, it's quite similar tho. The TDK one was insipired by Zimmer's Black Rain score. It's just typical autopilot Zimmer.
  • Ah, okay.
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    Gettler wrote: »
    Even though I have yet to watch the film, I really love the score. Been a Zimmer fan since Batman Begins. So, him scoring a Bond film is a dream come true. I got the Vinyl record for NTTD and heard the bonus tracks as well, which are quite nice, but cannot tell if they appear in the movie at all. But they sound different in comparison to the rest of the score. Still good though.

I'd really like to know what those bonus tracks are.

On this website where you can purchase the LP, you can find free mini samples of the tracks to listen to: https://www.juno.co.uk/products/hans-zimmer-no-time-to-die-soundtrack/767130-01/

I have just played the 4 bonus Q tracks in full. While short and atmospheric, they sound like demos and I don't recall them being in the movie itself. Unfortunately there is nothing major of note IMO - e.g. no new version of Bond theme etc.

Wow, thanks!

And yes...those do almost sound demo-ish from the samples. I'm seeing the film a second time tomorrow, but I don't recognize them offhand. The first one might be Safin's opening attack
    I think the bulk of Safin's attack is contained in Q1 and Q2
    vzok wrote: »

Quick question since I haven't watched the movie yet, but by "Safin's Attack" do you mean the opening sequence or some point later in the movie? I want to try to rearrange the tracks to follow a chronological order.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Some of the more sombre tracks on the soundtrack reminded me of tracks from Man On Fire (Denzel Washington film)
    Not sure if anyone else made that connection
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 252
    Unreleased cues, but i think there's more
    Norway Scene
    Bond and Madeleine at the Hotel Room
    Bond on the Way to Vespers Grave (that's really good cue)
    Vespers Theme (Another Variation)
    Primo kidnapping Valdo
    Fight between Bond and Logan Ash
    Death of Felix/Sinking the Ship
    Bond at M's Office
    Safin and Madeleine
    Madeleines Home (Version on the OST is different)
    Some unreleased Cues at Safins Factory
    Death of Primo
    Another Variation of "We have all the time in the world"
    Gettler wrote: »
    vzok wrote: »

Quick question since I haven't watched the movie yet, but by "Safin's Attack" do you mean the opening sequence or some point later in the movie? I want to try to rearrange the tracks to follow a chronological order.
    I mean the opening Norway scene
  • chrisesqetcchrisesqetc London
    edited October 2021 Posts: 43
    I've tried to make a first attempt to make a complete and chronological tracklist. I used indicative titles for the missing tracks.

Track listing:
    01. Gun Barrel
    ... 'This Will Hurt Him More'
    02. Matera
    ... 'Visiting Vesper's Grave'
    ... 'Fighting Cyclops'
    03. Message From An Old Friend
    04. Square Escape
    21. No Time To Die
    ... 'Operation Heracles'
    05. Someone Was Here
    06. Not What I Expected
    07. What Have You Done?
    08. Shouldn't We Get To Know Each Other First?
    09. Cuba Chase
    ... 'Fighting on Felix's ship'
    ... 'It's A Good Life'
    10. Back To MI6
    ... 'Definitely The Same Desk'
    ... 'Recovering Obruchev's Data'
    ... 'A New Patient'
    11. Good To Have You Back (Theme OHMSS)
    ... 'I Need To Call The Prime Minister'
    ... 'Belmarsh Prison'
    12. Lovely To See You Again
    13. Home (Norway)
    14. Norway Chase
    15. Gearing Up
    16. Poison Garden
    ... 'Gravity Isn't Always Your Friend' (getting to Safin's island)
    17. The Factory
    ... 'One Drop Of Tea'
    ... 'Make The World A Better Place'
    18. I'll Be Right Back
    19. Opening The Doors
    ... 'Permission To Launch'
    20. Final Ascent
    ... 'We Have All The Time In The World (instrumental)'
    ... 'Louis Armstrong - We Have All The Time In The World'
    ... 'What Have You Done'
    ... James Bond Theme

Let's hope there will be a complete extended soundtrack some day! LaLaLand, pick up the glove...😃
  • End Title also includes the wordless vocal from 'Home'
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 8
    I judge this solely by what what I heard in the cinema, and I was expecting great things - but for me it was completely forgettable apart from the John Barry references notably - We have all the time in the world. I think it was a really missed opportunity. Even the Monty Norman theme was hardly used.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    It did take me out of certain scenes at times because all I could think is this Majesty's, rather than what the scene was conveying.
    I like the little callback to Vesper because it was just that, little.
    The overuse of the OHMSS theme makes me wish we had something new in its place, that we could cling to and say this is "Madeline's theme" or it's NTTD's theme.

Ending the film on ALTITW was a mistake to my mind, it was undeserved here. It should have played over the credits in OHMSS
    For me, it was a reminder of the genius of Barry and how utterly unique he was. It did nothing to actually help the film.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I look forward to an extended edition of this soundtrack.

If DIE ANOTHER DAY can get it’s own two disc collector’s edition then I hope to see the same for Zimmer’s score.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I look forward to an extended edition of this soundtrack.

If DIE ANOTHER DAY can get it’s own two disc collector’s edition then I hope to see the same for Zimmer’s score.

And hopefully, we won't have to wait 18 years for this one. ;-)

I quite like Zimmer's score for NTTD. He held back a little--he didn't go completely experimental. The way I see it, Zimmer wanted to please the fans by not displeasing them, if that makes sense. We know that Zimmer can get a little crazy, but NTTD is a fairly safe score. I appreciate the little bits of music we recognise from certain other films, without reading too much into them. And I'm happy with how strong and impactful he made Billie's song when pulled into the score.

It's not the most memorable Bond score; then again, when was the last time we really got one of those? I'd have to go back to 1987 for that. In an era where film music tends to lack melody all around, I find NTTD pretty solid and well-suited for this film. The music is used well, in my opinion.
    And it took 38 years for Thunderball’s extended soundtrack to come out!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    If I had to choose between a full MR score and a double-disc edition of NTTD, I'd choose the former. But I'm sure we'll get it all: extended editions, deluxe editions, recording sessions... of the NTTD score. Zimmer's material usually gets expanded and re-released all the time.
    Man, what I would for an expanded MR score.

Or pretty much any John Barry score that still has yet to get an expanded release (TMWTGG, MR, OP, AVTAK).
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    La la land records was wanting to do anniversary releases of Moonraker and Licence to Kill but, had to wait because they were waiting on NTTD's first so maybe those will finally happen now.
    Hopefully.

Though I can’t imagine what will be in a new addition of LTK, aside from sequencing the tracks in chronological order. That score reuses a lot of cues throughout. Like the cue when Bond and Leiter spot Sanchez in a plane, that gets reused verbatim in the climax when Bond goes after Sanchez in the tanker. Lots of other examples like that.
    Murdock wrote: »
    La la land records was wanting to do anniversary releases of Moonraker and Licence to Kill but, had to wait because they were waiting on NTTD's first so maybe those will finally happen now.

And Majesty's
    What cues of OHMSS are missing from the 2003 expanded soundtrack?

I can only think of the cue at the very end with the solo flute playing the WHATTITW theme.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 4,023
    The guitar music from the bullfight (2 tracks). The skating music. Bond resigning. Marriage proposal. Tracy's poem. Another Louis Armstrong recording. Another Xmas trees version. Some film versions of Try and WHATTITW (different apparently). Some unused instrumentals. Film version of Bond attacked at Post Office. Film version of Escape from Piz Gloria. A couple of "suspense" cues.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 820
    Just came out of a second viewing of the film. The three most major cues (and IMO, good ones) missing from the soundtrack I noticed are:
    • Safin's opening attack
    • The Bond/Ash fight on the boat (this one is really good)
    • A suspenseful + Bond theme bit on Safin's base between "I'll Be Right Back" and "Opening the Doors" that take place over missiles launching, Bond running, etc. that I really noticed and liked.

I can live without a complete score release for now (mostly ambient stuff otherwise) but these three would be great put out as bonus tracks.
  • Okay, that's a major spoiler in the above post!
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited October 2021 Posts: 4,311
    Did anyone catch a glimpse of the end credits where they list the songs used in the movie? We already had the one in French by Dalida (missed that somehow) and the one in the Jamaica club. Who knows the one in Q's apartment? Is it Yma Sumac?
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 252
    I've tried to make a first attempt to make a complete and chronological tracklist. I used indicative titles for the missing tracks.

Track listing:
    01. Gun Barrel
    ... 'This Will Hurt Him More'
    02. Matera
    ... 'Visiting Vesper's Grave'
    ... 'Fighting Cyclops'
    03. Message From An Old Friend
    04. Square Escape
    21. No Time To Die
    ... 'Operation Heracles'
    05. Someone Was Here
    06. Not What I Expected
    07. What Have You Done?
    08. Shouldn't We Get To Know Each Other First?
    09. Cuba Chase
    ... 'Fighting on Felix's ship'
    ... 'It's A Good Life'
    10. Back To MI6
    ... 'Definitely The Same Desk'
    ... 'Recovering Obruchev's Data'
    ... 'A New Patient'
    11. Good To Have You Back (Theme OHMSS)
    ... 'I Need To Call The Prime Minister'
    ... 'Belmarsh Prison'
    12. Lovely To See You Again
    13. Home (Norway)
    14. Norway Chase
    15. Gearing Up
    16. Poison Garden
    ... 'Gravity Isn't Always Your Friend' (getting to Safin's island)
    17. The Factory
    ... 'One Drop Of Tea'
    ... 'Make The World A Better Place'
    18. I'll Be Right Back
    19. Opening The Doors
    ... 'Permission To Launch'
    20. Final Ascent
    ... 'We Have All The Time In The World (instrumental)'
    ... 'Louis Armstrong - We Have All The Time In The World'
    ... 'What Have You Done'
    ... James Bond Theme

Let's hope there will be a complete extended soundtrack some day! LaLaLand, pick up the glove...😃

Yes hopefully we get a complete extended soundtrack
    There's also a missing cue after Matera "Bond and Madeleine at the Hotel Room".
    And i think "Vespers Theme" is slightly different, maybe Zimmers own Version
    And "Message From An Old Friend" is also slightly different in the movie.

The part 0:16-0:33 isn't in the track

The missing cues from OHMSS

Post from Lukas Kendall
    I have the following additional tracks that I was not able to include on the 2003 CD. I am sorry to torture people...I cannot share them...but because people are speculating:

Xmas Trees - a version sung solely by the kids - 3:36 [the CIA asked to use this at Gitmo]

2M1 We Have All the Time in the World jazz combo - film version - 2:52

2M2 Try - film version 3:13

4M2 guitar source 2:50

The Swiss alps skating source music, I don't have the slate # handy, 2:54 [the A section is the oompah music, the B section is the prettier melody]

and three score cues:
    13M1 (score, soft suspense) 1:02
    13M2 (score, orchestral version of We have All The Time in the World) 3:46
    16M3 (soft instrumental of We Have All the Time in the World, flute melody) 0:39

There was a missing roll, I was told, that had sustained water damage. I believe it includes the film version of Escape From Piz Gloria, the other appearance of the action music in the Swiss town chase (Bond attacked in a phone booth)...and I don't know what else. These would have to be taken from the film stem if a 2CD set is ever produced.

Sorry for the frustration—
    Lukas