NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions NO SPOILERS please

Comments

• TuxedoTuxedo Europe
    I liked it.
    Craig's movies so far:

CR: The beginning of Bond. The movie ends. HOLY CRAP THIS IS BOND! THIS IS HOW BOND BECAME WHO HE IS! A cynical, bitter, blunt instrument of death! You know? From the old movies? Bond lost someone!!!

QoS: Umm...so this is technically a continuation of the last movie so... HOLY CRAP **THIS** IS BOND! THIS IS HOW BOND BECAME WHO HE IS! A cynical, bitter, blunt instrument of death! You know? From the old movies? Let's see where the franchise goes from here on now! Bond got his revenge!

SF: Oh wow... so now we have a new M. Male, authoritarian, M that just hands Bond missions, you know, from the old movies? .......HOLY CRAP THIS IS BOND! THIS IS HOW BOND BECAME WHO HE IS! A cynical, bitter, blunt instrument of death! Bond lost someone!!!

SP: Ah...so...we find out more about Bond's private life......AND THAT'S WHY BLOFELD IS HIS NEMESIS??? And SPECTRE?? You know from the old movies?? HOLY CRAP THIS IS BOND! THIS IS HOW BOND BECAME WHO HE IS! A cynical, bitter, blunt instrument of death! Bond lost someone!!!

NTTD:

I haven't seen the movie, but I swear, this probably will be some type of a "Oh, wow Bond got his revenge/Lost someone but....HERE'S THE BOND WE ALL KNOW AND LOVE! THIS IS BOND!"

They tried this over and over and over again.

People keep saying "oh wow the ending" and I don't know what the end is...but I bet it's hitting the same "oh wow BOND IS BACK" type of feeling that the previous Craigs had.

Which is not a bad idea but....5 times doing the same thing? FIVE TIMES?

maxresdefault.jpg

Five same endings/stories? Five? That's insane. :D
  • WheresValdoWheresValdo RepublicOfIsthmus
    Can someone please tell me if the background score from the International Trailer is there in the film, or something similar...absolutely loved it
  • WheresValdoWheresValdo RepublicOfIsthmus
    Mallory wrote: »
    @WheresValdo

The entire pre-titles and titles sequence, some Jamaica location shots, and the second half of the Cuba sequence were in the expanded ratio. Beyond that there wasnt much else, but the sequences were fully imax.

I’d recommend it, to see it in that format at least once. The sound is also very good in imax.

So none of the forrest action, safin lair action sequences are in IMAX?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 13,879
    QBranch wrote: »
    Do we learn Nomi and Paloma's surnames?
    No, mi dont recall them coming up. In the case of Nomi, they may be on some computer screens which you can freeze frame on the dvd.
    Thanks, mate. Mi will certainly be freeze framing here and there.
    dragonsky wrote: »
    Five same endings/stories? Five? That's insane. :D
    Confirmation:

n9L6ZU0IHK071.jpeg
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited October 2021 Posts: 2,036
    @WheresValdo

The entire pre-titles and titles sequence, some Jamaica location shots, and the second half of the Cuba sequence were in the expanded ratio. Beyond that there wasnt much else, but the sequences were fully imax.

I’d recommend it, to see it in that format at least once. The sound is also very good in imax.

From memory, nope.

But I am seeing it at the BFI IMAX tomorrow so will keep an extra eye out for it.
    WOW. That's my spoiler-free first reaction.
    @WheresValdo

From memory, nope.

But I am seeing it at the BFI IMAX tomorrow so will keep an extra eye out for it.

Saw it on IMAX today and only seemed to be the pre-title sequence. The remainder, in my cinema at least, was letterboxed.
  • Just come back from cinema. Outstanding.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    0iker0 wrote: »

Good “WOW” or bad? I’m guessing and hoping the former.
  • I know it’s incredibly fickle, but my excitement for NTTD is entirely contingent on whether the last thing I read in here is someone saying they loved it or hated it lol.
    I just came back and posted comments in the spoilers allowed thread. But my honest reaction was “wow”. It is extremely emotional, funny and bombastic. Daniel Craig is amazing. It’s great to see him working with a decent script, where he actually can inhabit the character. There’s lots to love and at one point the tension caused me to almost pull my wife’s finger off.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    edited October 2021 Posts: 2,252
    Whatever it is that 'breaks the rules' and 'changes everything', it must be a masterstroke decision whether someone likes it or not (me included). If they delivered a formulaic film, people will stop talking about it tomorrow. From the sounds of things NTTD conversations will go on for months. And this is what we need these days with media overload. Bond isn't the juggernaut it was in the 60's
    w2bond wrote: »
    Whatever it is that 'breaks the rules' and 'changes everything', it must be a masterstroke decision whether someone likes it or not (me included). If they delivered a formulaic film, people will stop talking about it tomorrow. From the sounds of things NTTD conversations will go on for months. And this is what we need these days with media overload. Bond isn't the juggernaut it was in the 60's

Agreed. Even for those who hate how it ended it's still eliciting strong emotional reactions from fans. At least EON achieved what they wanted from the film's climax unlike SP where things fall apart for the London climax and we're all aware of the scripting troubles to deliver a satisfying climax.

Maybe some people's anger and frustration is also due to the increasing gaps between films. We know there'll probably be a Bond 26 but goodness knows when.

As you say in earlier eras with the more traditional and regular formulaic films the interest and discussion of the last film (in fan magazines back then in the pre-internet era) would last just a couple of months and then move on to the next one in pre-production.
  • I think I know the two major spoilers, both of which throw up red flags for me (they both sound like terrible ideas), so it will purely be down to how well they are executed.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    0iker0 wrote: »

Good “WOW” or bad? I’m guessing and hoping the former.

In my case, a good WOW. A very good one. But I can see it being a very bad one for other fans.
  • StarkStark France
    I have a question for those who have seen it. Like Spectre, does the film have a much less interesting second part than the first ? Is the climax really impressive or disappointing ?
    Stark wrote: »
    I have a question for those who have seen it. Like Spectre, does the film have a much less interesting second part than the first ? Is the climax really impressive or disappointing ?

Dont think you should get the answer to that here in the 'No Spoilers' thread!
    Mathis1 wrote: »

I don't think it's a spoiler to say that I was impressed from beginning to end but that the first and final 20 minutes were highlights of the entire franchise for me.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited October 2021 Posts: 7,518
    Mathis1 wrote: »

I don't think it's a spoiler to say that I was impressed from beginning to end but that the first and final 20 minutes were highlights of the entire franchise for me.

Only interested in this opinion! Lol
    Very excited to see the film.

I think I’ve been spoiled for “The Big One” (and also spoiled for the gunbarrel on Instagram, thanks @Contraband lol), but honestly it only makes me more excited to see the film. Can’t wait to see the story they tell.
  • I think I’ve been spoiled on most of the film’s secrets :/ oh well, still very very excited and this has allowed me to process my emotions beforehand I guess
    I'd rather not say anything about the ending. The most I can say without spilling the beans is this: I liked it. But I can see why other people might not like it.
  • I've been glimpsing primarily just this thread and the Critics Reactions one, while avoiding the others. And yet I learned plenty that I'd rather not have. Still, thank God the level of secrecy on NTTD had kept up for so long, considering the disaster of the Sony leaks with Spectre. Those of us waiting for Oct 7/8 screenings, not long to go!!
    I'm still waiting for @RC7 to post his thoughts on NTTD. He appears to have gone MIA since his early screening. I got the distinct impression he didn't care for it too much with his "marmite" remark.
    What I don’t appreciate is certain folks that accuse fans of the film not being “true fans” of Bond. So the term “elitist prick” seems applicable. I may have my disagreements with opinions held by those like Jetsetwilly but I would never accuse him of not being a “true fan”

Totally agree MP.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    What I don’t appreciate is certain folks that accuse fans of the film not being “true fans” of Bond. So the term “elitist prick” seems applicable. I may have my disagreements with opinions held by those like Jetsetwilly but I would never accuse him of not being a “true fan”

Totally agree MP.

Love the insecurity on display when people start comparing “how much of a fan you are compared to me”.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    bondsum wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for @RC7 to post his thoughts on NTTD. He appears to have gone MIA since his early screening. I got the distinct impression he didn't care for it too much with his "marmite" remark.

Probably still masturbating himself into an early grave after that egomaniacs return to old Trafford.
    DCisared wrote: »

Probably still masturbating himself into an early grave after that egomaniacs return to old Trafford.

Haha ;))
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    DCisared wrote: »

HAHAHAHA :))
    My one thing I will say is - perhaps excepting someone somehow coming up with a mindblowing title using it - I hope we don't have a title with "die," "death/dead," or "kill" in it for a while. I say that as someone who really likes the title.