NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions vs. Current Reactions

Comments

One thing I forgot to mention is I didn't notice Craig's advancing years in this at all. There was a fire and steely determination behind those blue eyes that seemed greater than even perhaps in CR. We could have probably managed one more film from him if he'd have been inclined to do it.

I look forward to the next casting though. I hope Babs goes left-field once again and not the lazy touch of the latest star of a BBC espionage thriller which the press always get hung up on.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 3,160
    patb wrote: »
    So now are we saying that Bond could have escaped the complex in time?
    Sure, if he would he probably could. He escaped another small island in minutes with the lava flowing down (another movie though) and have been in many more life threatening situations. He wanted to die.
    Matt007 wrote: »
    You know what scene I found the most emotional. The one as they drove into matera
    The sinking ship with Felix dying was the most emotional one for me.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    NicNac wrote: »
    Samuel001 wrote: »
    From 2018:

Daniel, and Barbara are believed to have wanted Bond to die in the “spectacular finale” but Danny refused labelling the idea “ridiculous”, according to sources.

One insider told the Sun on Sunday: “There were discussions about killing off Bond in dramatic fashion at the end.

“It would be a final hurrah for Daniel, and leave fans hanging.

“It would also leave it open for a twist in the next instalment — either Bond hadn’t died or there could be a Doctor Who-esque regeneration with a new actor.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/7194901/new-james-bond-movie-finland-actress-daniel-craig-love-interest/amp

Well, the film did borrow from the novel YOLT, and we know how that ended and how TMWTGG started.

Well, in retrospect: I’m with Boyle on this one.

Me too. Sounds like Boyle made a stand against killing the character off, and they axed him for it. I’m going to send the guy an appreciation letter or something. At least he tried.

Maybe Boyle could become the next Kevin McClory , get the rights to some Bond story and do his own NSNA type film? I'd almost rather see that than NTTD.

I definitely would rather see that. 100%.
  • I'm just fed up of everyone talking about their bloody emotional reactions, crying and stuff, for gods sake it's a Bond movie, this film is a bunch of contrite SH12. Bond films should be about glamour, excitment, exotic locations and action with lots of thrills, not coming out of the cinema sounding like you need to see a shrink. Come on guy's & gals, get a grip, accept NTTD is a load of boswelox & move on.
  • I'm just fed up of everyone talking about their bloody emotional reactions, crying and stuff, for gods sake it's a Bond movie, this film is a bunch of contrite SH12. Bond films should be about glamour, excitment, exotic locations and action with lots of thrills, not coming out of the cinema sounding like you need to see a shrink. Come on guy's & gals, get a grip, accept NTTD is a load of boswelox & move on.

The funny thing is, a lot of people at my screening just shrugged their shoulders and headed for the bathroom.
    I love the idea that those who cry at the movies need professional mental health treatment. Sign me up as OHMSS gets me every time.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    edited September 2021 Posts: 1,351
    Good. Not great.
    Lot's to think about. More thoughts tomorrow.

Edit:
    On the Nanobots and Bond being contagious: It's not just that he can't touch Madeleine or Mathilde, nobody he touches can then touch them, just like he got the virus targeted at Blofeld from Madeleine. So he has to destroy himself and Satin to make sure that variant is extinguished.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    Zekidk wrote: »
    I noticed something very awkward during the tunnel-scenes. Anyone notice this?
    In regards to Madeleine and Mathilde Bond is saying to Nomi: "yes....they are my...." and then his lips keep moving. The subtitles in my country continues "..."family".
    Did they really mute the last part of that sentence?

I couldn't audibly hear him saying the word either but perhaps he whispered it since it was a moment of realization.

As everyone is talking about the boat scene...
    I enjoyed the brawl because of how sudden it was and I hadn't expected them to get into a fist fight at any point in the film. Usually this would've been a quick sequence where Bond uses a weapon or kicks him off the boat, but he really had to fight for his life against this man. And I appreciated the pause amongst the chaos where it almost felt as if Bond was staring at an evil version of his younger, fitter self. Although now that you guys mention it the scene does give off huge Grant vibes. Waldo then kicking the gun over to Logan and making him 'win' the fight was an unexpected turn as well.
  • Just got home now after my first viewing here in Switzerland.

First reactions? Well . . . it's a tour de force. I feel like I've been battered around and need a to pour a stiff drink and sit down to mull it over for a minute. Briefly:

-Beautifully made. All stunning sets, some good locations, magnificently filmed. The sound design was outstanding and immersive.

-Superb acting across the board. Everyone did very well with what they were given. Craig in particular was asked to do so bloody much in this film, and delivered across the board. A masterclass.

-Bond driving the ever-living hell out of that Aston in Matera was brilliant. The sound of the motor, the shots of the tach bouncing, the glimpse of the control panel . . . outstanding.

-People are asking for more Paloma, but I think she's just right. A brilliant character who steals her scenes, but half the reason it works is because it's fleeting. (The other half is that de Armas sells it so brilliantly.)

-A lot of very visceral action. Some of the gunplay and all the fistfights left me feeling like my head needed a good shake - it really was jarring. Savage, brutal, excellent.

-The story felt clear enough to me. In something like Octopussy, I frequently lose track of who's double-crossing who and just float along with the action, whereas NTTD always felt straightforward.

-On the other hand, Safin's ultimate plan (kill who exactly? how many?) and the motivations for it feel underdeveloped to me. What motivates Ash and Obruchev?

-Dammit EON, you did me dirty during this era and you know it. You had brilliant actors lined up playing excellent characters in Mathis and Leiter. I bloody loved them both.

-You also had an Oscar-winner locked into a better-developed role as Blofeld.

-In terms of the ending, I just don't know yet.

-So . . . where the hell do they go from here?
    octofinger wrote: »
    Moonraker reboot!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Good. Not great.
    Lot's to think about. More thoughts tomorrow.

Sort of my feeling. But I reconsidered SPECTRE several times as well, re-watched it sort of in preparation of NTTD and wouldn't say I've reached a real conclusion. The process to actually place it in a personal ranking may take time.
    I'm just fed up of everyone talking about their bloody emotional reactions, crying and stuff, for gods sake it's a Bond movie, this film is a bunch of contrite SH12. Bond films should be about glamour, excitment, exotic locations and action with lots of thrills, not coming out of the cinema sounding like you need to see a shrink. Come on guy's & gals, get a grip, accept NTTD is a load of boswelox & move on.

Lol
    SH12?
    Is that a new agent's code name?
    "SH12, your mission is to inject Bond's corpse with the reanimation serum. We need him back... alive!"

I'm just fed up of everyone talking about their bloody emotional reactions, crying and stuff, for gods sake it's a Bond movie, this film is a bunch of contrite SH12. Bond films should be about glamour, excitment, exotic locations and action with lots of thrills, not coming out of the cinema sounding like you need to see a shrink. Come on guy's & gals, get a grip, accept NTTD is a load of boswelox & move on.

I don't ever want to hear someone like you claim that they care about the character of Bond again. You clearly don't.
  • DB007DB007 Toronto
    I get a sense that this might be EONs last film. I wonder if they will sell their shares to Amazon and NTTD concludes the EON film series. If so, the ending would improve for me (I liked it regardless). I think it would be a perfect time to reboot back to the 50s or 60s and craft an era much closer to the Fleming source material.
    Well I just purchased my ticket and am ready to see NTTD next Friday.
    Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Just got back from watching for the first time and have now spent an hour reading all of your spoiler reaction comments.

What can I say? It's probably a 4 star film that gets a 1 star reaction from me. Clearly it is well made. Clearly it is the film they wanted to make (unlike the compromised QoS and SP).

The first 60-90 minutes is good. Sometimes seriously good.

After that, well...it all depends on whether you can accept the (first) twist. All I will say is that nobody better criticise Moore's Bond making quiche ever again.

Then the climax. THIS is precisely why it makes no sense for an agent to be so persistently emotionally involved in the plans of the villains he faces. This is literally the reason why Bond dies. As soon as it is clear Safin has Madeline then why employ a 50 year old out of shape agent to complete the mission? Just send all the current 00s to do the job.

What was Safin's plan? I didn't get that at all. Might be my fault for not concentrating though.

Anyway, I am totally deflated and come away feeling nothing but contempt for the film and those who made it.

But then I am also trying to force myself to remember how I felt at the half way point - that this was a film that was moving very nicely and with some of the best material ever seen in a Bond film. Had the projector broke at the 90 minute mark I'd have had it in my top ten.

I am booked in tomorrow morning to watch it again and my opinion will take time to properly form. (I originally thought DAD was Brosnan's best after the first viewing, so my opinion can shift quite a bit after watching a Bond film for the first time).
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 2,436
    octofinger wrote: »
    Just got home now after my first viewing here in Switzerland.

First reactions? Well . . . it's a tour de force. I feel like I've been battered around and need a to pour a stiff drink and sit down to mull it over for a minute. Briefly:

-Beautifully made. All stunning sets, some good locations, magnificently filmed. The sound design was outstanding and immersive.

-Superb acting across the board. Everyone did very well with what they were given. Craig in particular was asked to do so bloody much in this film, and delivered across the board. A masterclass.

-Bond driving the ever-living hell out of that Aston in Matera was brilliant. The sound of the motor, the shots of the tach bouncing, the glimpse of the control panel . . . outstanding.

-People are asking for more Paloma, but I think she's just right. A brilliant character who steals her scenes, but half the reason it works is because it's fleeting. (The other half is that de Armas sells it so brilliantly.)

-A lot of very visceral action. Some of the gunplay and all the fistfights left me feeling like my head needed a good shake - it really was jarring. Savage, brutal, excellent.

-The story felt clear enough to me. In something like Octopussy, I frequently lose track of who's double-crossing who and just float along with the action, whereas NTTD always felt straightforward.

-On the other hand, Safin's ultimate plan (kill who exactly? how many?) and the motivations for it feel underdeveloped to me. What motivates Ash and Obruchev?

-Dammit EON, you did me dirty during this era and you know it. You had brilliant actors lined up playing excellent characters in Mathis and Leiter. I bloody loved them both.

-You also had an Oscar-winner locked into a better-developed role as Blofeld.

-In terms of the ending, I just don't know yet.

Where do we go? Indeed. I've seen it twice today and it not only felt like a good conclusion to the Craig era but also the perfect way to end if they were never going to make another Bond film. Where on earth are they going to go with the next Bond? Personally, it would feel like a massive come down if we were to return to by the numbers Bond films.
  • It is the first time that i went out of the cinema thinking that i cannot say if i liked the movie or not. Except from Bond's death (which i already knew and i was prepared) the whole movie is different from any previous Bonds so i cannot compare it like we did with
    CR and QOS or SF and SP. As a general movie is good! Good acting direction, photography, music etc. (the stants where meh, the motorcycle jump which was so advertised was not a part of the chase) But I want to see it again to rate it as a Bond movie! Also it appears they gave Craigs Bond a cursed life with no return to normal life. Dead girlfriends which he loved (Vesper). He did not manage to save his bosses life (M) he was cheated to leave his new love for 5 years. He lost a good friend (Felix) and he did not manage to live a family life, and he was sacrificed to save his family. All these are new to Bond but they were builded these 15 years, so it makes sense why this movie ended like that. But it is difficult to see this movie as a Bond movie yet. I will have to se this again. (Also if you remove the ending, i cant see the rest of the movie as a Bond movie and not a M.I. one for example - it hadn't anything Bondian that will give you chills and say yes only Bond could do that!, Paloma was more Bond than Bond himself).

Also i miss the use of full throttle James Bond Theme on action scenes (like the Brosnan era, although we got more Bond theme than all the Craig movies together in this one, but in wrong moments).

*** Please use again Ana de Armas in future Bonds and fuck the continuity!
  • @FatherValentine Safin has no plans like the other Bond villains actually, he stole a formula that is programed to kill some people, he made it a weapon by making it infectious, he made a reproduction factory to make a vast stock so he could sell it to other people as a weapon. In the end he is a simple arms Diller.

I don't ever want to hear someone like you claim that they care about the character of Bond again. You clearly don't.

Like Me, your taking this a bit personally aren't you, so let's play a little game of F**k Off you go first.

Like Me, your taking this a bit personally aren't you, so let's play a little game of F**k Off you go first.

No, just as with @bondywondy I've decided after all that I'm not going to let you trolls push me off a forum I've been a member of for 8 years and that I already spent too much time away from. You're welcome to play that game by yourself.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    vasilismf wrote: »
    @FatherValentine Safin has no plans like the other Bond villains actually, he stole a formula that is programed to kill some people, he made it a weapon by making it infectious, he made a reproduction factory to make a vast stock so he could sell it to other people as a weapon. In the end he is a simple arms Diller.

Thanks for the information!

It seems a bit of a come down given his elaborate set up, but oh well.
  • PJJPJJ Formby
    Not a fan of NTTD. Felt like I’ve just watched a dark knight film. It’s well made but it’s just not a Bond film. Where is the fun and escapism? The last hour is just depressing. The ending didn’t shock me we’ve seen Star Wars and marvel do this with their famous characters. It’s not daring or original.

Spectre get killed off and Bond has nothing to do with it. He’s irrelevant in that regard. The big organisation behind everything in the previous films. Blofeld is killed by accident. They should have let him die on London Bridge rather than that. I preferred him offering to buy a delicatessen in stainless steel whilst falling down a chimney. At least Conan Doyle had his lead character and great rival duel to their deaths over the Reichenbach falls. If Bond had to die it had to be Blofeld involved not some guy he met about 10 minutes from the end of the film.
  • vasilismf wrote: »
    @FatherValentine Safin has no plans like the other Bond villains actually, he stole a formula that is programed to kill some people, he made it a weapon by making it infectious, he made a reproduction factory to make a vast stock so he could sell it to other people as a weapon. In the end he is a simple arms Diller.

Thanks for the information!

It seems a bit of a come down given his elaborate set up, but oh well.

haha yep!

• edited September 2021 Posts: 503
    PJJ wrote: »
    Not a fan of NTTD. Felt like I’ve just watched a dark knight film. It’s well made but it’s just not a Bond film. Where is the fun and escapism? The last hour is just depressing. The ending didn’t shock me we’ve seen Star Wars and marvel do this with their famous characters. It’s not daring or original.

Spectre get killed off and Bond has nothing to do with it. He’s irrelevant in that regard. The big organisation behind everything in the previous films. Blofeld is killed by accident. They should have let him die on London Bridge rather than that. I preferred him offering to buy a delicatessen in stainless steel whilst falling down a chimney. At least Conan Doyle had his lead character and great rival duel to their deaths over the Reichenbach falls. If Bond had to die it had to be Blofeld involved not some guy he met about 10 minutes from the end of the film.

Well said. I'm convinced Boyle would've done an incredible job of the film, and I can see now why he decided to quit over creative differences. Maybe the producers should've thought long and hard about such a talent deciding to part ways with them because of the tired, stereotypical, overused plot they wanted to pursue.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 389

No, just as with @bondywondy I've decided after all that I'm not going to let you trolls push me off a forum I've been a member of for 8 years and that I already spent too much time away from. You're welcome to play that game by yourself.

So I'm the troll, yet you were the first to get personal because my view doesn't match yours. As the great Harry Callahan said opinions are like arseholes, everybody has one. So get over yourself and stop having a go at me as I've been a member for 6 years and am entitled to my opinion as much as the next guy or gal. As to caring about a character, I certainally do which is why I'm disappointed in NTTD, I saw my first Bond movie in 1969, Yes OHMSS on it's intial release so if you don't like my opinion I believe you can go to hell.
    I echo others here who've said that it's hard to imagine a way forward from here, given the finality of what they put to screen in NTTD.

The only way forward that I think could really work well would be to make the next Bond actor's tenure be a period piece from the 1930s/40s/50s.

It'll allow the writers to (mostly) keep their political agendas out, and will give us some Bond fodder from the decades preceding the first actual official Bond film in 1962.

Also, many like to harp about how the very character of James Bond himself is outdated, a relic of older times due to his misogyny, womanizing, political incorrectness, etc. Well... if you grant they are correct, there's no way to continue a "present-day" Bond 007 series without either awkwardly maintaining that outdated persona or "updating" Bond to a modern day man, which I don't think ANYONE wants.

Also, let's be honest... the heydays of MI6 (and Britain herself) were back in those days, not 2021.
  • Also can someone tell me how the fuck was Robert Brown's M portrait at the left of Judi Dench's one?
    Bond wrote: »
    I echo others here who've said that it's hard to imagine a way forward from here, given the finality of what they put to screen in NTTD.

The only way forward that I think could really work well would be to make the next Bond actor's tenure be a period piece from the 1930s/40s/50s.

It'll allow the writers to (mostly) keep their political agendas out, and will give us some Bond fodder from the decades preceding the first actual official Bond film in 1962.

Also, many like to harp about how the very character of James Bond himself is outdated, a relic of older times due to his misogyny, womanizing, political incorrectness, etc. Well... if you grant they are correct, there's no way to continue a "present-day" Bond 007 series without either awkwardly maintaining that outdated persona or "updating" Bond to a modern day man, which I don't think ANYONE wants.

Also, let's be honest... the heydays of MI6 (and Britain herself) were back in those days, not 2021.

I'd love a period piece Bond, Those decades are my favorites in terms of style, films, fashion, music, etc
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Bond wrote: »

I'd love a period piece Bond, Those decades are my favorites in terms of style, films, fashion, music, etc

We'd get the DB5 again and it's been done to death at this point.