NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions vs. Current Reactions

Comments

• Bond wrote: »
    "Let me tell you about a man... his name was Bond, James Bond"

Am I the only one who thinks that line is just as cheesy as ones like "Christmas comes once a year" in the Brosnan era? I cringed.

Just wait till she tells her about Uncle Ernst..
    Bond wrote: »

Am I the only one who thinks that line is just as cheesy as ones like "Christmas comes once a year" in the Brosnan era? I cringed.

Just wait till she tells her about Uncle Ernst..

Ha, plus both sets of grandparents being dead. Christmas must be a quiet affair in the Swann residence.
  • Like the last film really enjoyed the first half then it went downhill for me. Everything before he gets to London was superb. For something trying not to stick to formule, everything after felt by the numbers.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    Did the film suggest that DNA resourcing companies such as 23andMe paved the way for the weapon's application?
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    NicNac wrote: »
    Samuel001 wrote: »
    From 2018:

Daniel, and Barbara are believed to have wanted Bond to die in the “spectacular finale” but Danny refused labelling the idea “ridiculous”, according to sources.

One insider told the Sun on Sunday: “There were discussions about killing off Bond in dramatic fashion at the end.

“It would be a final hurrah for Daniel, and leave fans hanging.

“It would also leave it open for a twist in the next instalment — either Bond hadn’t died or there could be a Doctor Who-esque regeneration with a new actor.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/7194901/new-james-bond-movie-finland-actress-daniel-craig-love-interest/amp

Well, the film did borrow from the novel YOLT, and we know how that ended and how TMWTGG started.

Well, in retrospect: I’m with Boyle on this one.

Me too. Sounds like Boyle made a stand against killing the character off, and they axed him for it. I’m going to send the guy an appreciation letter or something. At least he tried.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    The film has already leaked online. That certainly didn't take long at all.

I actually wouldn't mind watching it online before catching it in the cinema.
    Cowley wrote: »

I didn't find it cheesy but I didn't think it worked as a line though. Maybe if it was years later and Mathilde had been older and not remembered him. "Let me tell you about that man..." would have made more sense.

Bless Bond for stopping to pick up her 'Doo Doo' despite being in the thick of things.

He picked up what? Can you explain? Surely this wasn’t in the movie. Sigh. Sounds like a lot of humor in this movie. I’m a CR and QOS guy in terms of humor. Don’t care for it in Bond movies.
    From 2018:

Daniel, and Barbara are believed to have wanted Bond to die in the “spectacular finale” but Danny refused labelling the idea “ridiculous”, according to sources.

One insider told the Sun on Sunday: “There were discussions about killing off Bond in dramatic fashion at the end.

“It would also leave it open for a twist in the next instalment — either Bond hadn’t died or there could be a Doctor Who-esque regeneration with a new actor.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/7194901/new-james-bond-movie-finland-actress-daniel-craig-love-interest/amp

Well, the film did borrow from the novel YOLT, and we know how that ended and how TMWTGG started.

Me too. Sounds like Boyle made a stand against killing the character off, and they axed him for it. I’m going to send the guy an appreciation letter or something. At least he tried.

Maybe Boyle could become the next Kevin McClory , get the rights to some Bond story and do his own NSNA type film? I'd almost rather see that than NTTD.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited September 2021 Posts: 5,834
    So I just got back from my screening of No Time to Die. I've left some larger thoughts on the other pages but wanted to just off the top of my head say and ask...
    This film really felt like a classic, old-school James Bond adventure, even with the parts that make it feel fresh and modern, with some moments even paying great homage to old James Bond films. Two moments in particular with Logan Ash made me think:

1) His fight with James Bond on the boat with the harsh red lighting made me think of the fight between Red Grant and James Bond on the train in From Russia With Love.

2) And then his death made me instantly think of Emile Locque's death when James Bond coldly kicks the car over the edge of the cliff as revenge for killing Ferrara and Lisl in For Your Eyes Only.

There's probably loads more but those two really struck me as I was watching the film, and in a great way. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 12
    Did he have any good fist fights with henchmen ? Apart from the train fight in Spectre this was a bit lacking during Craig's run.
  • I’m stunned by the film…stunned…for me they shown too much of Matera in the trailers, it was an immense sequence but there was very little in it that we hadn’t seen. I loved the scene in Norway at the start and the Jamaica / Cuba section. Then in London I felt it got quite muddled and they spent too much time trying to develop Safins plot without developing Safin himself.

Norway was very good, I enjoyed the car chase etc but was a lil surprised by the revelation albeit it was one that was all over the news and papers a year ago.

The ending was very emotional, albeit I found the build up to it to be very repetitive. They could have trimmed 15/20mins of the third act easily and still made it as impactful.

Overall, I think the film ultimately stands on its own and can’t really be compared to any other bond film. It didn’t really feel like a bond film for huge parts of it to be honest but it is a very very good action film….as a bond film, I don’t know where I rate it, will need to watch it a few times.
    Denbigh wrote: »

2) And then his death made me instantly think of Emile Locque's death when James Bond coldly kicks the car over the edge of the cliff as revenge for killing Ferrara and Lisl in For Your Eyes Only.

I forgot about that already but it was a great moment. You're wondering if he'll do Roger from FYEO and he indeed did. A nice, or should I say brutal call back.
    timmyv123 wrote: »
    Then in London I felt it got quite muddled and they spent too much time trying to develop Safins plot without developing Safin himself.

That's a fair point. They seemed to cover the same ground a little too much about the nano bots when we should have felt the threat of Safin much more. I'm surprised they had not intel on him whatsover.
  • Cowley wrote: »

I didn't find it cheesy but I didn't think it worked as a line though. Maybe if it was years later and Mathilde had been older and not remembered him. "Let me tell you about that man..." would have made more sense.

Bless Bond for stopping to pick up her 'Doo Doo' despite being in the thick of things.

He picked up what? Can you explain? Surely this wasn’t in the movie. Sigh. Sounds like a lot of humor in this movie. I’m a CR and QOS guy in terms of humor. Don’t care for it in Bond movies.

Cuddly toy rabbit she dropped, he only wanted to give it back to her.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited September 2021 Posts: 2,002
    Imo, you should not walk out of a Bond movie crying or with a heavy heart. Isn’t there enough doom and gloom these days? Anyways, I’m just going to leave it at that. And that you should never kill off James Bond. It’s never been done in 24 films, and after around 60 years. Why are we doing it now?

OHMSS (and to a lesser extent CR) didn’t exactly end on a happy note but it closely followed the source material and most importantly, Hunt and his lead actors handled it beautifully.
    For those who weren't familiar with the novel, Tracy's death must have been a shock at the time... I'd argue it was an even bigger upset than Bond himself dying 52 years later, if only because the Craig era has (sadly) always been filled with doom and gloom and incessant rumours leading up to the movie's release always hinted at that possibilty, even if people refused to believe it.
    And that's the main problem I have always had with the Craig movies. They just take themselves too damn seriously. His movies feature top notch acting (for the most part), action sequences and cinematography, but so do other action thrillers.
    But there is no sparkle, humour is practically non existant and what passes for witty or profound dialogue is more often than not cringe worthy or feels unnatural.
    For all its (many) flaws, SPECTRE is the only Craig outing that has any semblance to a Bond movie, which is why it remains my favorite of his films.
    Someone mentioned earlier that the producers had the necessary talent at their disposal to create a purely entertaining Bond movie, in the vein of the older classics we all know and love... but do they really? I'm not so certain.
    As I said, I'm reserving final judgment until I see the movie on the big screen.
    I am sure the visuals, stunts and set pieces will be very impressive but I don't expect much else and certainly not to be moved to tears by the finale, based on what I've read and seen.

Yeah that above comment needs more context.
    She has a doll with her that she drops and that's just her name for it.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

My impression was that there was unusually little humor in this movie, even for a Craig film There were few one-liners and irony. It took the audience this afternooon ages to first chuckle about something (which I can't even remember what it was). f don't mean this as criticism per se; there is ample stuff to be said against turning this into a Moore-style nonsense comedy. And give me this over 80 per cent of the other Bond films anytime.

Yeah that above comment needs more context.
    She has a doll with her that she drops and that's just her name for it.

Ha. Knew I should have expanded on that. Seemed quite rude when typing it. I found it a touching bittersweet moment.

I like the dour Craig Bond of CR and QOS too and that scene doesn't undermine it at all but he's undeniably the more experienced veteran agent here than the blunt instrument of those films.
  • ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    Bond765 wrote: »
    Did he have any good fist fights with henchmen ? Apart from the train fight in Spectre this was a bit lacking during Craig's run.

The fignt in the boat is the main one coming to mind.
  • ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    JohnBarry wrote: »
    Maybe I missed something, but can anyone explain why Madeline lied about the child being Bond's daughter. I don't get why she initially said "she isn't yours". Bond even questions that by mentioning her blue eyes.

I took it to be "ok it's your daughter, but don't think you can just barge in and play at being daddy."
    Chevron wrote: »

Loved the red lighting for the boat sequences.

He has a reasonably good fight on the stairwell of Safin's lair too, reminiscent of his fight with Obanno in CR albeit with a comedic pay off this time.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 3,160
    I noticed something very awkward during the tunnel-scenes. Anyone notice this?
    In regards to Madeleine and Mathilde Bond is saying to Nomi: "yes....they are my...." and then his lips keep moving. The subtitles in my country continues "..."family".
    Did they really mute the last part of that sentence?
  • A couple of things crossed my mind, the end scene driving off in the car reminded me of Beautrix Kiddo & BB driving of at the end of Kill Bill Vol. 2, then I thought all the main protagonists end up dead, Pow it hit me! the hole bloody thing is basically a third rate Tarentino style rip off.

One other thing of interest, been talking to the friends and family on whatsapp, those who've seen it that is, basic straw pole 14 people, 9 liked & 5 including oneself didn't, however the interesting thing is the 9 who liked comprise 8 women & my openly gay nephew, 5 who didn't like are all long time Bond fans all hetrosexual males.

So I've come to a simple conclusion, Danny, Babs & crew have succeeded in turning James Bond into a Chick Flick....... ;)
  • Cowley wrote: »

He has a reasonably good fight on the stairwell of Safin's lair too, reminiscent of his fight with Obanno in CR albeit with a comedic pay off this time.
    Against Dali Benssalah I guess ?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited September 2021 Posts: 5,834
    I actually really enjoyed nearly every villain death scene. Ash's one was a nice call back to For Your Eyes Only, and quite creative I thought. Valdo and Primo's both felt classic in their approach of henchmen being killed by their own weapons, and I also really enjoyed the final confrontation with Safin, and his death. While yes just shooting the main villain can be boring sometimes, the small fight in the water (which should've been longer even though I understand what they did in terms of Safin's capabilities against Bond, and with the timing of the missiles with what they had left to wrap up), but the way it was shot was really satisfying, with the way we saw Bond shoot a few times, and Safin's body hit the water with the blocking of the violence really cool. The only deaths I didn't really like were the SPECTRE agents and Blofeld himself. With the agents, it felt almost comedic and abrupt, and then Blofeld's just felt abrupt. I did find it strange how we never really got a good shot of the virus taking effect.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 1,009
    Because of my job, I'll have to wait until it gets released on home media, so I "self-spoiled" the movie for me. I have to say that reading all the drama and sadness this movie was supposed to have, I kinda figured out what would happen at the end. Like Birdleson, I think it was, and others, I thought about not going to see it, but at the very end I decided to… Until I realized a) its runtime, b) my working schedule, c) my laziness when it comes to go to watch movies on the silver screen. I'm kind of a stay-at-home cinema buff.

That said, can we say we now have 5 cinematic Bond canons?
    1) Barry Nelson as Bond from the CIA.
    2) Classic Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton and Brosnan Bond.
    3) Pathetic (but hilarious nontheless) multi-Bonds on CR'67.
    4) Old feller Bond from NSNA.
    5) Craig's Bond from his first mission to his untimely passing.

and

6) "James Bond Will Return"… Will it be a be a continuation of 2 or another reboot? I know you're already discussing that.

Now, out of curiosity… Is it true that despite the tragic / bittersweet (no need to answer this. For me it would be spoiling it for real) ending, this movie es the most comedic of all of the Craig era?

And with all that, the only thing left to say is RIP to another member of the Bond Family: Takao Saito, author of the 007 manga and creator of Golgo 13 passed away today.
  • ToTheRight wrote: »
    From 2018:

Maybe Boyle could become the next Kevin McClory , get the rights to some Bond story and do his own NSNA type film? I'd almost rather see that than NTTD.

Have Boyle go to Canada and make an adaption of For Your Eyes Only when the book enters public domain there
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I actually really enjoyed nearly every villain death scene. Ash's one was a nice call back to For Your Eyes Only, and quite creative I thought. Valdo and Primo's both felt classic in their approach of henchmen being killed by their own weapons, and I also really enjoyed the final confrontation with Safin, and his death. While yes just shooting the main villain can be boring sometimes, the small fight in the water (which should've been longer even though I understand what they did in terms of Safin's capabilities against Bond, and with the timing of the missiles with what they had left to wrap up), but the way it was shot was really satisfying, with the way we saw Bond shoot a few times, and Safin's body hit the water with the blocking of the violence really cool. The only deaths I didn't really like were the SPECTRE agents and Blofeld himself. With the agents, it felt almost comedic and abrupt, and then Blofeld's just felt abrupt. I did find it strange how we never really got a good shot of the virus taking effect.

Agree with all of that!

Against Dali Benssalah I guess ?

Yep. Quite rare these days for a henchman to be in the pre-credits and still around for the finale.
  • JohnBarryJohnBarry Dublin
    timmyv123 wrote: »

It didn’t really feel like a bond film for huge parts of it to be honest but it is a very very good action film….as a bond film, I don’t know where I rate it, will need to watch it a few times.

I agree with this. I think once he gets back to London, it starts to feel less like a Bond movie and more like a generic aging action hero movie. But a very well made and engrossing action movie. During my first screening, when Bond was protecting Madeline and his daughter in the forest, I was thinking this could be the plot of a Harrison Ford or Liam Neeson action movie where the hero has to protect his family.

I think this could be one of the main differences between judging the movie as the general public / movie critics versus diehard Bond fans. Aside from a few quibbles here and there, I do recognise it as an excellent piece of action entertainment. But as a Bond fan, there are definitely issues I have with it.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    The film has already leaked online. That certainly didn't take long at all.

I actually wouldn't mind watching it online before catching it in the cinema.

ToTheRight- You have been much like me about the film. Have you changed your mind and decided to go see it?