NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions vs. Current Reactions

Comments

Just seen it last night and ultimately I think the real miracle of the film is that it feels like this is where the previous 4 were headed- a synthesis albeit an occasionally sloppy and unwieldy one.

This is the only Bond with a beginning so it only makes sense he should have a comprehensive ending. In a way Fukunaga is the ideal fella for this assignment - like his other films plot is almost a perfunctory consideration and this is a film about its protagonist's soul, his quest to find, finally his centre and the realisation that it is an impossibility.

Also well done to the poster with the death god theory as that is manifest tenfold and becomes the raison d'etre for the ending- CraigBond's tendency for everything he touches tending to wither and die becoming quite literally his curse. If Spectre's question was "could Bond stop being Bond and everything that involves" then NTTD's answer is a full blown scream of "NO".

I wish it was a little tighter in the middle and Malek's character given a bit more shape and a lot more screentime but honestly I'm almost as jubilant as I was in 06 and 12. I'm always going to be disappointed Craig didn't get one more boilerplate Bond film but if the trade off is this special interregnum where we get a series of films actually about James Bond rather than featuring him then I couldn't be happier. It's not for everyone - indeed not all of it is for me but at least nobody involved is going to die wondering.
    TR007 wrote: »
    bondywondy wrote: »
    Got back an hour ago from midnight showing, my good I went in with low expectations but this really was like trying to polish a turd.
    It is so bad, poor wishy washy villain, Craigs Bond flips between angst ridden killing machine to some kind of retarded emotional Mod Edit wit, everybody dies, Felix, Blofeld, all of bloody Spectre, this previously invincable shadow organisation and to top it off Bond is blown to bits......?

I'm sorry but this is a Bond I'll be glad to see the back of. Loved CR, even quiet liked QoS but started to go wrong as I've said before with SF.

Some of the action set pieces were good but overall it was a bloody big mess.

Thanks for your review. I was hoping I was in a bad dream and was imagining the reviews about Bond actually dying! Oh well... it really happens.

I don't want to see a film where Bond dies but then... guess what.. he's alive in Bond 26! It's silly and in my opinion disrespectful to Barbara's father's legacy.

If Bond isn't really dead, no body found and missing in action and that is confirmed in Bond 26's teaser trailer, I can buy into that premise. However, if Eon have 100 percent killed off Daniel Craig's James Bond then no thanks. I don't want to invest 2 hours 40 mins waiting to see him die.

It's also incredible/mind boggling/depressing to know all the positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and on YouTube don't seem to care Bond dies. A 59 year long cinematic hero dies and it's like "who cares?" If you're a genuine Bond fan or even a paid critic you would think you would question the decision to kill off James Bond (albeit in a contrived way as we all know James Bond will return.)

How do you kill off James Bond but in the end credits state Bond will return? It's a contrived gimmick. Eon are literally having their cake and eating it. They can exploit the emotional impact of Bond's death but also dismiss that impact in three/four years time when they make Bond 26 with the new back from the dead/rebooted Bond.
    Once you watch it you’ll see that they 100% kill him off.

Then how do you do Bond 26? It's not the original James Bond unless it's set before Dr. No. I doubt Amazon want to make period Bond films set in the 1950s.

Eon have torn up the reality rulebook. If Bond is dead but comes back, there is no real danger. Bond dies but he lives. Er... okay. Does that make continuity sense? Not really.

I've no idea how they're going to do Bond 26. My guess is most casual fans won't care and just accept Bond is alive and with a new face.

I guess a full reboot is the only way forward. Eon have boxed themselves into a corner and will have to reset the franchise from zero.

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Got back an hour ago from midnight showing, my good I went in with low expectations but this really was like trying to polish a turd.
    It is so bad, poor wishy washy villain, Craigs Bond flips between angst ridden killing machine to some kind of retarded emotional Mod Edit wit, everybody dies, Felix, Blofeld, all of bloody Spectre, this previously invincable shadow organisation and to top it off Bond is blown to bits......?

I'm sorry but this is a Bond I'll be glad to see the back of. Loved CR, even quiet liked QoS but started to go wrong as I've said before with SF.

Thanks for your review. I was hoping I was in a bad dream and was imagining the reviews about Bond actually dying! Oh well... it really happens.

I don't want to see a film where Bond dies but then... guess what.. he's alive in Bond 26! It's silly and in my opinion disrespectful to Barbara's father's legacy.

If Bond isn't really dead, no body found and missing in action and that is confirmed in Bond 26's teaser trailer, I can buy into that premise. However, if Eon have 100 percent killed off Daniel Craig's James Bond then no thanks. I don't want to invest 2 hours 40 mins waiting to see him die.

It's also incredible/mind boggling/depressing to know all the positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and on YouTube don't seem to care Bond dies. A 59 year long cinematic hero dies and it's like "who cares?" If you're a genuine Bond fan or even a paid critic you would think you would question the decision to kill off James Bond (albeit in a contrived way as we all know James Bond will return.)

How do you kill off James Bond but in the end credits state Bond will return? It's a contrived gimmick. Eon are literally having their cake and eating it. They can exploit the emotional impact of Bond's death but also dismiss that impact in three/four years time when they make Bond 26 with the new back from the dead/rebooted Bond.

Then how do you do Bond 26? It's not the original James Bond unless it's set before Dr. No. I doubt Amazon want to make period Bond films set in the 1950s.

Eon have torn up the reality rulebook. If Bond is dead but comes back, there is no real danger. Bond dies but he lives. Er... okay. Does that make continuity sense? Not really.

I've no idea how they're going to do Bond 26. My guess is most casual fans won't care and just accept Bond is alive and with a new face.

I guess a full reboot is the only way forward. Eon have boxed themselves into a corner and will have to reset the franchise from zero.

Of course they’re gonna reboot. It’s what Spider-Man has already done twice so far and no one has an issue with it.

But... Craig's Bond is set in a separate continuity from the others so this already happened...?
    Just seen the
    death
    scene and I must say:
    That missile hit the silo in front of him, and honestly, one may believe he was thrown up unto the air and the sea, severely mangled, amnesiac maybe. And that the sheer impact destroyed the nanobots and the smarblood. And that Bond was lost, castaway to the other islands.

Hey, if you put your back into it, you can imagine all you want :)
    I think it's a fair point that, once you make a character disposable, in the long term, you devalue both the character and the franchise thats built around that character. It's now perfectly reasonable, when the next Bond actor is announced, to consider how they will "meet their destiny" and the one after that - before you know it, you have a production line. We are seeing the effect of the DC writers wanting a connection and full character arc from beggining to end. Is it co-incidence that CR and SF are broadly loved and they did not have the baggage re connections. They are great movies in their own right rather than an episode within a Bond lifespan.

Of course they’re gonna reboot. It’s what Spider-Man has already done twice so far and no one has an issue with it.

Okay. I suppose fans unhappy with Bond dying will have to accept it or if not, boycott the film. I don't mean that to sound harsh but if you don't want to see James Bond die... there is no option but not to see NTTD. Just give it a miss and pretend Daniel Craig's era ended with SPECTRE. Bond and Swann driving away from London. The end.

• Of the title sequence is the song scored differently and is it shortened compared to the single?!

8:30pm tonight needs to hurry up!!!
  • Saw it this morning.

Really enjoyed the pre-credit sequence - starts off like a Nordic Noir thriller and then switches to Matera and to some first rate action. Enjoyed the first act, quick punchy, very Bond. But the 2nd act and the family in peril stuff didn't do it for me - seen it done before and better - and watching daddy Bond watching his daughter eating breakfast, his lip quivering in pride just didn't do it for me. 3rd act ok - Rami Malek totally wasted as one dimensional villain (especially after the pre-credit build up) , Bond saving his family predictable and the ending, Bond sacrificing himself ala Tony Stark was what it was. Emotionally, I felt sad that the 60 year old franchise, as it is, was over, but no tears from me.

What really surprised me though,was my reaction to the playing of Louis Armstrong "We Have All the Time in the World" over the end credits. I cringed. Perhaps because I relate the song so strongly to the Bond/Tracy courtship montage. I don't know. Didn't work at all for me and it was the thing that annoyed me most.

But thats just my opinion. I am sure others will really enjoy it. And I hope they do. Looking forward to the future now (I hope).

Found this online. Personally, it's a very well directed sequence and gives some little clues about the plot (e.g. the statue which florishes)

As I've been pointing out, it's going to be interesting going forwards. Do the producers attempt a continuation of Craig's Bond with a new face in Bond 26 or do they wipe the slate completely clean and go back to the standalone movie? The MCU universe was clearly adopted for the last 2 Craig Bonds, but will they jettison that for Bond 26 onwards? I know some are adamant that Craig's Bond was self-contained and we're starting anew, but how is that going to work and how are they going to sell it to the general public? It was much easier to make the transitions when your movies were basically standalone features, with the new actor picking up where the previous one had left off. Not so with Craig's Bond. Will the producer's instruct us that the new Bond will have a different trajectory and won't die the same way at the end of his tenure? It feels like they've made a rod for their own back going forward and it could ultimately end up being the demise of the whole franchise. Of course, we won't know until after the release of Bond 26 whether NTTD has had a negative impact on the next actor's incarnation.
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    Got the gunbarrel:
  • Question for those who have seen the film:

I have seen a few people saying that NTTD will be like OHMSS. Not because of all the references to it, but because OHMSS was disliked by many for years and is now regarded as one of the best in the series.

Do you think this will be the case?
    I'm not sure what it says about that state of health re the franchise that, when they want to introduce emotion at a crucial time, they choose to refer to previous soundtracks. (it's piggy backing on previous iconic scenes created by another team)

Surely, great movies create their own heritage rather than borrow/steal from others? I could understand references to CR as it's part of/bookends the DC arc but from another "universe" and 52 years ago!

Just time for a quick bacon sandwich and then off the the 12.30 show
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 295
    Just throwing this
    bondsum wrote: »

As I've been pointing out, it's going to be interesting going forwards. Do the producers attempt a continuation of Craig's Bond with a new face in Bond 26 or do they wipe the slate completely clean and go back to the standalone movie? The MCU universe was clearly adopted for the last 2 Craig Bonds, but will they jettison that for Bond 26 onwards? I know some are adamant that Craig's Bond was self-contained and we're starting anew, but how is that going to work and how are they going to sell it to the general public? It was much easier to make the transitions when your movies were basically standalone features, with the new actor picking up where the previous one had left off. Not so with Craig's Bond. Will the producer's instruct us that the new Bond will have a different trajectory and won't die the same way at the end of his tenure? It feels like they've made a rod for their own back going forward and it could ultimately end up being the demise of the whole franchise. Of course, we won't know until after the release of Bond 26 whether NTTD has had a negative impact on the next actor's incarnation.

There is another scenario. Next year Eon announce they're no longer making Bond films. They sell their stake to Amazon. That way Babs and MG leave the franchise bringing Eon's 25 Bond films to a logical (if very controversial) end... the death of James Bond.

B Broccoli said the search for the next Bond actor begins next year but you never know, things can change. If this is the end of the 1962 to 2021 Bond era (accepting Craig's era was at the start of Bond's career) the producers may feel the franchise has reached its natural conclusion so selling up, handing the franchise to a new owner, is the only way forward.
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    Zarozzor wrote: »
    Question for those who have seen the film:

I have seen a few people saying that NTTD will be like OHMSS. Not because of all the references to it, but because OHMSS was disliked by many for years and is now regarded as one of the best in the series.

Do you think this will be the case?

I think it's going to be the same in the way that there'll most likely be a switch in tone with Bond #7, thus causing a sort of backlash to Craig just like Pierce was thrashed after Casino Royale. I think, in due time NTTD will be reappraised as being bold, unique and a very good bookend to an actor's tenure.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    The only way forward to become officially billionaires. :D
  • I saw that the death of Bond is the main theme here, but i saw little comments about the soundtrack which in other movies was "the thing" so how good or bad is the soundtrack and how bondian?
  • mrlynxmrlynx Maine
    I swore I'd try to be spoiler-free for this one, but after 6 years of being Bond-starved I was on here scouring this forum the night of the premiere. I don't regret it. I think my reaction next week would've been of disappointment that led to gradual appreciation. Now, I've already processed that "oh...." reaction to the ending and am applauding it for Craig's Bond. Remember, literary Bond was all too ready to light a cigarette in the fuselage of a nuke in "Moonraker", and there are echoes of "Live and Let Die"'s Bond who promised to drown Solitaire and himself if the sharks got too close when Craig holds Camille in the burning building with a cocked pistol ready to go.
    I'll be interested to marathon the Craig era to see how the entire arc flows. it may be a controversial wrap-up, but I suppose not every Bond era can end on a cruise ship with a red-headed moll asking him, "How the hell do we get those diamonds back down again?"
    Just throwing this

There is another scenario. Next year Eon announce they're no longer making Bond films. They sell their stake to Amazon. That way Babs and MG leave the franchise bringing Eon's 25 Bond films to a logical (if very controversial) end... the death of James Bond.

B Broccoli said the search for the next Bond actor begins next year but you never know, things can change. If this is the end of the 1962 to 2021 Bond era (accepting Craig's era was at the start of Bond's career) the producers may feel the franchise has reached its natural conclusion so selling up, handing the franchise to a new owner, is the only way forward.
    Very true. Barbara did say that the search begins next year but didn’t explicitly say that EON would be the ones searching. Having seen the movie twice now it does seem like an exit for EON.
  • phantomvicesphantomvices Mother Base

Found this online. Personally, it's a very well directed sequence and gives some little clues about the plot (e.g. the statue which florishes)

I am LOVING the massive
    OHMSS references, like the clock face numbers and the sand timer.

I was on the ball about the DNA motif, too!
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    I find it kind of amusing that even the most hardcore Bond fans are willing to look past what is arguably the biggest continuity issue in the series, namely Bond and Blofeld not recognizing each other in OHMSS... but on the other hand they can't wrap their heads around the idea of "James Bond will return" after killing him off.
    I personally think it's best to just view the Craig films as kind of a mini-series, completely detached from the rest of the franchise.

On a side note, I did watch said scene on YT and I have to say the music completely ruined what could have been a much more understated and impactful scene.
    And yes, it was definitely like watching a Metal Gear Solid bloated cutscene (a frequent pet peeve fans of the beloved series have with Kojima, a man not primarly known for his subtlety) - swelling strings and dramatic close-ups, all designed to pull at your heart strings like the filmmaker wanted to say "it's ok, you can cry now".
    I realize I saw that short clip on a tiny Iphone screen and without the proper context surrounding it, but so far it doesn't bode well for my appreciation of the film.
  • phantomvicesphantomvices Mother Base
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »
    I find it kind of amusing that even the most hardcore Bond fans are willing to look past what is arguably the biggest continuity issue in the series, namely Bond and Blofeld not recognizing each other in OHMSS... but on the other hand they can't wrap their heads around the idea of "James Bond will return" after killing him off.
    I personally think it's best to just view the Craig films as kind of a mini-series, completely detached from the rest of the franchise.

On a side note, I did watch said scene on YT and I have to say the music completely ruined what could have been a much more understated and impactful scene.
    And yes, it was definitely like watching a Metal Gear Solid bloated cutscene (a frequent pet peeve fans of the beloved series have with Kojima, a man not primarly known for his subtlety) - swelling strings and dramatic close-ups, all designed to pull at your heart strings like the filmmaker wanted to say "it's ok, you can cry now".
    I realize I saw that short clip on a tiny Iphone screen and without the proper context surrounding it, but so far it doesn't bode well for my appreciation of the film.

It looks so much like a video game cutscene! I was telling a friend that.

Funny you should mention Kojima given how many plot points resemble MGS plot points.
  • DoubleOhKevinDoubleOhKevin Far, far away
    I work in the media and have been speaking to cinema owners who said the fan feedback so far has been extremely positive with most people raving about how good it is. Some are suggesting it's the best Bond yet.
    So :
    What the goal of Safin with the weapon ? Why does he want to kill millions of people? I didn't understand
    Bond's death is on YouTube. Some naughty Spectre agent has uploaded it. ;)

It's an interesting hypothesis, but I have it on good authority that Eon will not be selling their 50% stake and the search for the next 007 begins next year.
    So :
    What the goal of Safin with the weapon ? Why does he want to kill millions of people? I didn't understand

Well, Thanos plan didn't work out, so...
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 295

It's an interesting hypothesis, but I have it on good authority that Eon will not be selling their 50% stake and the search for the next 007 begins next year.

Any idea how Bond survives being atomized? Do you have inclination how Eon will (quite literally) resurrect the franchise? Seems a tricky problem to solve!

Bond walks into Moneypenny's office:
    "I thought you were dead, James."

😉
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 3,333
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »
    If they call themselves "the most hardcore Bond fan" then they'd know that OHMSS was filmed out of sequence from the books and should have proceeded YOLT. I wouldn't even call it a "continuity issue" as the past Bond movies have mostly been standalone affairs with the thinnest of threads tying them together, if at all. Also, they did sort of recognise each other, hence the lines: "It'll take more than cutting off your ear lobes, Blofeld, to turn you into a count" and Blofeld's response: "It takes more than a few props to turn 007 into a Herald."