NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions vs. Current Reactions

Comments

Zarozzor wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Is there any ambiguity about the ending at all like even a 1% bit... I just it breaks my heart that after all this waiting this is what we get
    None. One of the missiles land right in front of him and the explosion engulfs the screen in a light so bright that you can’t see a body or anything, but it’s made clear that he dies. If they say he survives that, it’s more ridiculous than all of of the crazy things in the Moore movies combined.
    Ha — so they really are doing Bond as Christ/World Redeemer. That's neat.

All I'll say is:
    If there is no body, the filmmakers want a level of uncertainty. It's a choice — everything is a choice.

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Garth007 wrote: »
    This is apalling. So, let me get this straight. The gunbarrel looks like a 3rd grader edited it. The big dots cut of the little dots. Almost again zero Bond theme, the only decent theme with the motif, is that agent who has 30 seconds of screentime, which she is completely dominate in the scene. I though the bond theme was for Bond and not anyone else. Hans Zimmer did a disservice, scoring a bond film, and not even using the theme LOL. That is utterly pathetic, plus these themes from other bond movies being used within the film that have nothing to do with it is a joke. The film was delayed over a year and this is the best score they came up with. I do not care what the film is about, but to score it like it is a love story is utter crap. You had plenty of time to properly do this. Then this nanobot technology, and bond dies at the end from some missile nonsense. Of course, he has a daughter, we got to continue the bs script of Craigs era, and this is why his movies aren't even bond movies, in my humble opinion. Missing complete parts of the formula. Yet, these young generation seems to be more important to Barbra broccoli, as well as Daniel Craig to appease them versus your entire cliente. This movie, I do not think i will ever see this crap film. I had high hopes but this is unforgivable. Been a fan for 25 years and this is a laughing stock. Just to appease Daniel Craig as a sign off. Not worth it, at all.

Well I mean that's like your opinion man. The rest of us will enjoy the film wether good or bad. Even the worst of the bond films still have enjoyment to them. This one is no different...

That is what separates true Bond fans from amateurs.

There are few amateurs here.
    So wait
    is the franchise really Noomi’s now
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 6,665
    TripAces wrote: »
    This is apalling. So, let me get this straight. The gunbarrel looks like a 3rd grader edited it. The big dots cut of the little dots. Almost again zero Bond theme, the only decent theme with the motif, is that agent who has 30 seconds of screentime, which she is completely dominate in the scene. I though the bond theme was for Bond and not anyone else. Hans Zimmer did a disservice, scoring a bond film, and not even using the theme LOL. That is utterly pathetic, plus these themes from other bond movies being used within the film that have nothing to do with it is a joke. The film was delayed over a year and this is the best score they came up with. I do not care what the film is about, but to score it like it is a love story is utter crap. You had plenty of time to properly do this. Then this nanobot technology, and bond dies at the end from some missile nonsense. Of course, he has a daughter, we got to continue the bs script of Craigs era, and this is why his movies aren't even bond movies, in my humble opinion. Missing complete parts of the formula. Yet, these young generation seems to be more important to Barbra broccoli, as well as Daniel Craig to appease them versus your entire cliente. This movie, I do not think i will ever see this crap film. I had high hopes but this is unforgivable. Been a fan for 25 years and this is a laughing stock. Just to appease Daniel Craig as a sign off. Not worth it, at all.

Well I mean that's like your opinion man. The rest of us will enjoy the film wether good or bad. Even the worst of the bond films still have enjoyment to them. This one is no different...

There are few amateurs here.

Oh, I'm an amateur. Wouldn't want to be short for fanatic. :D

Amateur etymology actually comes from loving something, from the latin amare - to love, amateur - lover. So, I'm fairly sure I'm an amateur.

No fanaticism here ;)
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    So wait

Given Barbara Broccoli’s comments about how there won’t be spin-offs and that there’s a very special text at the end of NTTD, no. This is not going to be Nomi’s franchise. She’s a one off character.
    So wait

Given Barbara Broccoli’s comments about how there won’t be spin-offs and that there’s a very special text at the end of NTTD, no. This is not going to be Nomi’s franchise. She’s a one off character.

So
    Bond dies
    and then James Bond will return shows up.
    Love it, really do :D
    Barbara Broccoli even just confirmed they’ll start looking at actors in 2022, once the dust has settled for Craig’s finale. Bond is here to stay.
  • Garth007Garth007 Missouri, USA

So your the amateur then,Got it.
    Barbara Broccoli even just confirmed they’ll start looking at actors in 2022, once the dust has settled for Craig’s finale. Bond is here to stay.

I'm thrilled she said that, but at the same time I won't hold my breath. I seem to recall the intention was to find a new distributor a few months after SPECTRE. It took a few years.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

There is really no need for this kind of talk. There are different kinds of Bond films that appeal to different kinds of people. It's been that way for a long time. And all of them are true fans. I'm not a big fan of the Moore era (and I have big gripes with the Craig era, too) in the same way people aren't fans of the Brosnan era but I'd never dare tell them that they aren't real Bond fans. As a fully grown adult, surely you must understand this.
    I hope you all are right cause I have a scary feeling
  • Garth007Garth007 Missouri, USA

There is really no need for this kind of talk. There are different kinds of Bond films that appeal to different kinds of people. It's been that way for a long time. And all of them are true fans. I'm not a big fan of the Moore era (and I have big gripes with the Craig era, too) in the same way people aren't fans of the Brosnan era but I'd never dare tell them that they aren't real Bond fans. As a fully grown adult, surely you must understand this.

Exactly! Very well put! When I was 4 (yes 4 lol) my mom took me to see goldeneye in theaters and it was the First time I got to experience bond Fandom from all different ages groups. We all got to express our likes and dislikes of the films and actors. Till this day wether the film is good or bad at the movie premieres waiting in line or sitting in the theater before the film discussing them all with the fans is such a great treat. A bond fan is a bond fan thru and thru but to degrade others for not being a purist is just ridiculous.

Exactly! Very well put! When I was 4 (yes 4 lol) my mom took me to see goldeneye in theaters and it was the First time I got to experience bond Fandom from all different ages groups. We all got to express our likes and dislikes of the films and actors. Till this day wether the film is good or bad at the movie premieres waiting in line or sitting in the theater before the film discussing them all with the fans is such a great treat. A bond fan is a bond fan thru and thru but to degrade others for not being a purist is just ridiculous.

Especially when there is no established, perfect definition of "purist."
    BMB007 wrote: »
    Is there any ambiguity about the ending at all like even a 1% bit... I just it breaks my heart that after all this waiting this is what we get
    None. One of the missiles land right in front of him and the explosion engulfs the screen in a light so bright that you can’t see a body or anything, but it’s made clear that he dies. If they say he survives that, it’s more ridiculous than all of of the crazy things in the Moore movies combined.

All I'll say is:
    If there is no body, the filmmakers want a level of uncertainty. It's a choice — everything is a choice.
    He gets absolutely annihilated by the missile strike. What’s all this talk of there being no body? He’s dead. It’s a visceral moment where he literally gets wiped out by a hail of mussels. The way the scene is framed and shot leaves absolutely no chance of him surviving.
    Plus he had been shot several times by Saffin and poisoned at this stage.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    My sad confession. When they first started putting the "you won't believe what happens in the 25th film" out there (emphasis on the 25th), part of me harbored a quiet wish/fantasy/strained belief that they would somehow find a way to tie all of the films together (maybe even through some weird sci-fi means). That wasn't quite what they were getting at.

I made a wisecrack spoiler comment a few pages back that would have tied the films together. It was funny when I typed it. Of course I was tired and a bit silly.
    I do appreciate that despite the reboot, they still consider NTTD the 25th film, telling everyone that in spite of different continuities ALL the films matter. Even DAD.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 613
    There's a scene in this movie where Rami Malek's character blathers on about free will and how people secretly desire to be controlled. I was sitting there thinking, isn't this just a paraphrase of speeches by probably hundreds of other villains in movies and books? I liked Malek -- his bug-eyed yet soft-spoken performance is unsettling -- but he's not given any dialogue or even a plausible motivation to make his supervillain really pop.

I had a similar reaction to Ralph Fiennes's monologue about the good old days of being able to see the bad guys and not having to find them in the cloud. I haven't seen SPECTRE in awhile, but doesn't he basically say the same damn thing in that movie?

I kind of admire the effort that went into getting this lumbering, fatally overlong thing finished, but it's all just so shopworn.

I've been critical of SKYFALL and SPECTRE on the boards, but in those two entries at least Mendes and Deakins/van Hoytema developed captivating, nightmarish visuals and set-pieces to make up for the shortcomings at the story level.

Unfortunately, Fukunaga isn't in the same league and can't do much with a script that is so thuddingly obvious and corny. One of the critics described it as having "big, big laughs," but most of the attempts at humor involve Craig nonchalantly guzzling drinks in the middle of otherwise tense scenes, which got old when Dean Martin was doing it over 50 years ago.

Craig, by the way, is fine with what's he's given, but at times he doesn't even appear to be playing the same character -- especially in his misfire of a scene opposite Christoph Waltz/Brofeld, where Bond acts in ways that I didn't find credible or consistent with what's gone before. The scenes with Lea Seydoux never take off, and she still has zero chemistry with her leading man. The highlight is Ana de Armas, who is charming and tough but not in the film long enough.

It's not unwatchable, but I found NTTD to be a "meh" experience and the weakest of Craig's tenure.

Also, I could have done without that song in the end credits. It's a great song, but it doesn't belong here.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 9,731
    TR007 wrote: »
    BMB007 wrote: »

All I'll say is:
    He gets absolutely annihilated by the missile strike. What’s all this talk of there being no body? He’s dead. It’s a visceral moment where he literally gets wiped out by a hail of mussels. The way the scene is framed and shot leaves absolutely no chance of him surviving.
    Plus he had been shot several times by Saffin and poisoned at this stage.

Michael Myers survived worse…. He survived The Love Guru….

Sorry had to
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    I hope you all are right cause I have a scary feeling
    Video of the end credits confirms that "James Bond Will Return" makes an appearance
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    There's a lot of pointless discussion here.

This is EON's franchise and they can and will do anything they believe is right and lucrative, regardless of what some fans think. I think we should all accept that, and stop lecturing them about what James Bond franchise is or isn't. It's whatever they think it is. It's their property.

I've had my share of complaining here, but I think I've learned to accept that Bond films will never again be the way I want them to be, at least not entirely.

Having said that, I'll just say I'm gutted with the way NTTD ends and I'm not paying to see this movie. I'll watch it for free, probably when it airs on TV in a year or two.

I'll be rewatching Connery, Lazenby, Moore and Dalton instead.
    No body. I believe he was teleported. To a Japanese island. I am sure of this. Thus ends Craig’s tenure as Bond.

May I please steal this thought to help myself next week?
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited September 2021 Posts: 2,598
    While I’ll reserve final judgement until I see NTTD on October 9th, like some of you, I must admit to some level of disappointment with the film’s ending. Emotionally, I really hoped for a “upbeat” ending – and certainly not the one we got. On the other hand, if one accepts the premise that Craig’s tenure as Bond stands apart from the other entries in the series, I guess anything is game. It will be interesting to see if NTTD will garner repeat business from long time Bond fans, like myself.
    While the analogy is far from perfect, last night in reading the various postings here (spoilers don’t really bother me), the first thing that popped into my head was the controversy surrounding Godzilla vs. Destoroyah in 1995 (this is silly, I know...). At the time Godzilla fans were quite upset that Toho should kill off (for real this time 😊) the title character. There were letters of protest, memorial sculptures erected, and a ton of news reports (including – believe it or not – an Op-Ed in the New York Times). Even long time “G” composer Akira Ifukube described writing the music for that scene as among the most difficult things he ever had to do – before finally approaching the task as if he was writing the music for his own death.

But as with the “JAMES BOND WILL RETURN” title card, in the end, Toho wound up ensuring everyone that the death of the character was not permanent. Like the Danial Craig films, the Godzilla of the Heisei era (1984-1995) had a definite and unique “character arc” (or as much as a fake 400 -foot-tall monster could have). And, in retrospect, his “death” was entirely in keeping with the spirit of wanting to have some type of “conclusion.” (*)

** That said it took a number of years before I finally mustarded the courage to watch the final moments of the movie after I purchased the DVD. And of course, I shed a tear or two at the ending.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    No body. I believe he was teleported. To a Japanese island. I am sure of this. Thus ends Craig’s tenure as Bond.

If this is the case, I’d almost want B26 to start with an gravely injured, amnesiac Bond who travels to Russia to figure out who he is, attempts assassination on M and then redeems himself as an agent similar to YOLT/TMWTGG
  • tqbtqb
    So wait
    No. There is literally a moment in the film where she gives her 007 number back to him.

If this is the case, I’d almost want B26 to start with an gravely injured, amnesiac Bond who travels to Russia to figure out who he is, attempts assassination on M and then redeems himself as an agent similar to YOLT/TMWTGG

Now we are really talking! Someone get ahold of Broccoli's kid and plant that thought in Jr.'s head pronto! We could salvage everything!

Actually. Mathilde grows up having gender identity issues, transitions to being a male, assumes the name...

250px-JamesBondJrTitleCard.jpg

...and we're off and running for Bond 26...set fifteen years in the future! ;)
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    @Dwyane , I was a little perturbed, but Godzilla died in his first outing. Afterward he's sometimes been a more or less (implied) legacy character.
    I just wish he took Destroyah out himself when he went

@Birdleson. True enough. But remember in 1954 Godzilla was not yet a film franchise. From then on, regardless of how the films ended, it was always implied that he (Godzilla II?) would live another day (“…he’s too tough…”). To be fair, it you see the ending of Godzilla vs. Destoroyah, Toho gave themselves a big “get out of jail free card” regarding the Godzilla that we would see in any future films – in the form of “Jr.”

I know the analogy is a bit silly, but at 1:00AM one thinks of such things.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited September 2021 Posts: 2,002
    Here's a question. I think we all assume that it was Craig's decision to leave, and the producers reluctantly gave him this send off. Not that I expect this to happen, but let's say Craig, once again, has second thoughts. In a year or so, before the replacement has been established/revealed to the public, Craig wishes to return. Hypothetically, do you think Broccoli and Co. say, "No we're done, thank you". Or, do they find a back door solution (maybe not teleportation, but something even tangental to a physical possibility) in order to bring him back for one more? Or do they just make a stand alone and not even bother to explain anything?

Don't bother telling me how ludicrous or impossible the scenario is, this is all in fun (though, now that it is in my head...).
    Everything is possible. Look at 'The Irishman' and how they managed to make De Niro, Pacino and Pesci look 30 years younger.
    With that kind of technology (which has probably evolved since then) they could easily shave 10-15 years off Craig and concoct a story/mission taking place between the events of SP and NTTD.
    That would be the only 'plausible' way of bringing him back to the franchise... him somehow surviving a direct missile to the face still seems far fetched, even for a Bond movie.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    There's just so much to unpack with this film. The plot is totally fine, I actually don't mind the
    selective, genetic killer serum.
    The acting is fantastic with Craig and Seydoux who FINALLY have chemistry together and thus redeeming their thin love story in SPECTRE. Loved the opening flashback scene as well. Someone will eventually create an edit with adult Madeleine narrating over the action. The ending though... I was completely teary eyed seeing those missiles strike. Even typing it out now I want to cry. I still don't know if that was the right decision or if I just can't see the sheer brilliance yet.
    At least Craig's Bond was given a final 'one man saves the day solo' scene. He was amazing.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    I wouldn’t be in to seeing a de-aged Craig.
    Me neither, to be honest. In 'The Irishman' the de-aging served the story so it's different.
    I'd rather see Bond go gracefully than have him drink from the fountain of youth... except when it comes to recasting the role.
    My question regarding the ending is: Does Bond...............
    go to a Heavenly spot, or a place where it's terribly.........................HOT?