NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

• loullersloullers Eskilstuna, Sweden
    Is the score still out there because the link I got sent to me earlier isn't valid anymore?
    I can't seem to find it anywhere either. I'd be grateful to anyone who could send me a DM with a new link. Thanks in advance.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited September 2021 Posts: 40,368
    0iker0 wrote: »
    I can't seem to find it anywhere either. I'd be grateful to anyone who could send me a DM with a new link. Thanks in advance.

As has been noted several times already, any leaked score sharing isn't permitted, as it's not been officially released yet. The previously provided link has been removed for that reason and to cut down on spam. Thanks.

Well, funny/strange they don't released all yet. I mean they probably know the whole thing have leaked, so release it would give a legit way to the people who want to heard it and earn money on it (but no, they give no place to people to listen it except in the "underground" ones where they no a penny to earn on it). Advance the date wouldn't had been the best reaction from a commercial POV?

Outside of a couple of hard core Bond fan sites, not many people know the score was leaked. I've been over to several Bond facebook groups and they have no idea the score was ever leaked. Casual audiences AND casual fans missed the whole event, so I'm sure the studio would not change any of it's plans because of the temporary leak.
    Meanwhile wrote: »
    Matera, though. What a cheeseball, yeesh. Somebody here already pointed out that it is highly reminiscent of Arnold's over-the-top Venice music from CR and I'd have to agree. It's just boilerplate, sappy orchestra noise with little atmosphere
    Blasphemy!
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    There’s an elegant simplicity to how Barry composed his love themes, whereas I think Arnold tends to go way too big and it overwhelms the scenes. The worst is when Bond and Carver embrace. It’s so loud and in your face that it just underlines how the romance is not convincing.

Contrast that to Barry’s use of the love theme in “Kara Meets Bond”, it’s very minimalist but is super effective.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 3,160
    Can someone help me out here.... what is the main cue/motif in the soundtrack? Having a hard time figuring this out. Variation of "No Time to Die", like in the track "Home"?
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    The title song motif, that is clearly Bond and Swann melancholy love theme, that Zimmer reprises and reinterprets in 4/5 tracks.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    There’s an elegant simplicity to how Barry composed his love themes, whereas I think Arnold tends to go way too big and it overwhelms the scenes. The worst is when Bond and Carver embrace. It’s so loud and in your face that it just underlines how the romance is not convincing.

Oh Paris Carver, of course. I had quite the wrong image in my head.

Most definitely not delicious :)
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 3,160
    Thank you. Listened to the whole thing. Oddly I think the best parts are where he reuses Barry's cues ('Matera','Good to have you back') Maybe because they are recognizable. The stand alone track 'Final Ascent' is really fantastic, though, IMO. Reminds me of his older track 'Time' he did for Inception.
    This is most likely played either when one of the protagonists die or is being buried.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Zekidk wrote: »
    Thank you. Listened to the whole thing. Oddly I think the best parts are where he reuses Barry's cues ('Matera','Good to have you back') Maybe because they are recognizable. The stand alone track 'Final Ascent' is really fantastic, though, IMO. Reminds me of his older track 'Time' he did for Inception.
    This is most likely played either when one of the protagonists die or is being buried.

I agree. I hear "Time" in that, as well as "Journey to the Line" from The Thin Red Line. For good measure, Zimmer also seems to be borrowing from the Arvo Part classic, "Cantus."

• DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Now that bit by bit the score gets uploaded on Hans Zimmer's YouTube channel, at least these bits probably aren't illegal anymore.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 820
    I gave in (a tiny bit) and officially purchased the "Matera" and "Shouldn't We Get to Know Each Other First" singles from iTunes.

I'm sitting here nearly in tears. I absolutely love them. That passion, those harmonies, that exact balance of sound, is what I've been longing to hear in a Bond score for what seems like eternity now. I'm a fan of Tom Newman's work on the last two films, but even in the moments where I loved those scores, they never came close to the feeling this is giving me already just from 3 minutes worth of listening.

It sounds like these tracks could have been pulled straight out of the 1960s. And yet they're distinctly modern at the same time.

Bravo, Hans. I've never been more ready for a Bond film and its soundtrack.

But that's it for me until the film. I've already listened to these too much, if I hear any more it will ruin the anticipation in those moments. :D
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited September 2021 Posts: 7,518
    mtm wrote: »

Maybe he's referring to the "Give the people what they want!" scene; that romance certainly is not convincing. ;)
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited September 2021 Posts: 2,032
    Now officially released on Zimmer’s YouTube channel.

As before, spoilers for those who listen.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    mtm wrote: »

Maybe he's referring to the "Give the people what they want!" scene; that romance certainly is not convincing. ;)

Bond does get quite close there, doesn't he? Go on, kiss him! :D
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Everything I have heard from the score so far is really quite excellent.
    Square Escape is the theme right before the pre-credits and ends with the motif of Final Ascent which is the theme at the very end of the movie. Nice one, Hans!
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited September 2021 Posts: 4,311
    Just listened to the 2 tracks above and must say I am in 007-heaven. This film should be a dream come true for Bond fans. I so much enjoyed the style and visuals of Carey's "True Detective" and "Beasts of No Nation" and now the music seems to be a fantastic fit as well. Kudos to Billie Eilish and her brother for the haunting harmonies in her title track, their repeated use throughout the score, as others have noted, should lend an epic, maybe tragic feel to the movie. Bring on Thursday in a week!
  • lechiffre2lechiffre2 Netherlands
    I haven't posted on this forum for years (I used to be Le Chiffre), but after listening to this I just had to head back and leave my comments.

HOW CAN PEOPLE NOT TALK ABOUT THE 'WE HAVE ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD' CUE USED IN 'MATERA'?

I literally cried.
  • NoTimeToLiveNoTimeToLive Jamaica
    lechiffre2 wrote: »
    I haven't posted on this forum for years (I used to be Le Chiffre), but after listening to this I just had to head back and leave my comments.

HOW CAN PEOPLE NOT TALK ABOUT THE 'WE HAVE ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD' CUE USED IN 'MATERA'?

I literally cried.

We've been talking about for days.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Yeah we've been talking about how obvious and manipulative it is.

There is a special place in hell reserved for you

I literally cried.

I literally cried.

Sorry, obviously I am late to the game. I am reading up now, and apparently the whole soundtrack is available through some backdoor? Without posting links, can someone point me in the right direction? After this, I cannot wait to give it a listen!
  • familymottofamilymotto Spain
    edited September 2021 Posts: 24

I literally cried.

I literally cried.

Sorry, obviously I am late to the game. I am reading up now, and apparently the whole soundtrack is available through some backdoor? Without posting links, can someone point me in the right direction? After this, I cannot wait to give it a listen!

All I'll say is that it's pretty easy to find online now. Obviously not legally so it's up to you if you go on the hunt or wait until October 1st.
  • NoTimeToLiveNoTimeToLive Jamaica

I literally cried.

I literally cried.

I literally cried.

I literally cried.

Check your inbox.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    all I know is, I'd love to have some big huge brassy old style Barry for chase scenes, etc. Or the high-tech version like Backseat Driver from TND. Anything else falls short.

There is a special place in hell reserved for you

Agree. Filmmaking IS manipulation and they are using musical quotes that ONLY Eon can use and I'm glad they did.
  • MeanwhileMeanwhile Brooklyn
    It’s amazing how easy it is to trigger people over the Barry fanservice issue. It’s a part of the larger division between future-forward Bond fans and Bond fans who need to continually relive the old movies in the new movies - and then those who coexist which seems kinda rare.

One can feel both. For example, I eventually came around to the reintroduction of Blofeld even though my faith in EON was let down in the final product. He has always been weakly portrayed in the vast majority of Bond media compared to Fleming’s character of surprisingly successful (and rare) portrayals. I thought Craig’s Bond was better served making something new out of Quantum. It wasn’t meant to be.

But the Barry quotes belong to other characters and eras, like Tracy Bond of course. I like Madeleine, but she’s no Countess Theresa - just the same as Vesper wasn’t, Kara, so on. And OHMSS is a stellar title song, not a boring low-key thing to bum when presumably Blofeld is on screen. If I’m wrong and it really works, I’ll eat my words of course. Just going from my listening experience.
    Meanwhile wrote: »
    But the Barry quotes belong to other characters and eras
    Like the Magnificent Seven theme Barry used in MR belonged to Yul Brynner. I had no problem with that. And I think it's nice that Zimmer is working within the parameters of the series. Clearly the score isn't the only OHMSS connection.