NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

• edited September 2021 Posts: 1,314
    Looking forward to the score being released?

I must have listened to OHMSS 100 times while wfh since covid started
    There’s a nice snippet in the new music podcast at around 26 mins with a Cuban flair over the traditional bond vamp
  • HeinsenbergHeinsenberg France
    Yes! It reminds me "Welcome to Cuba" in Die Another Day.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    A note to anyone who wants to listen to the podcast to hear a bit of score but who is saving hearing the theme song until they see the movie (I think that was you @GadgetMan ?) - there is a bit of theme song in this podcast.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    mtm wrote: »
    A note to anyone who wants to listen to the podcast to hear a bit of score but who is saving hearing the theme song until they see the movie (I think that was you @GadgetMan ?) - there is a bit of theme song in this podcast.

Oh, yeah. It's me. Thanks for the mild red flag @mtm :) I'll avoid it. We're almost there. I can't give in now :)>-
    So is this really from the podcast? Sounds good.

• At first I thought it was an arrival/source cue (IE party music that Zimmer had written as part of the score), but based on how it transitions in...I do think that's "Cuba Chase"!

Sounds intense and surprisingly...humorous?
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    At first I thought it was an arrival/source cue (IE party music that Zimmer had written as part of the score), but based on how it transitions in...I do think that's "Cuba Chase"!

I believe there'll be plenty of humour in those scenes, having seen the way Paloma acts around Bond and then Bond
    throwing the tray at Valdo and drinking the martini
    . What a treat that'll be :)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2021 Posts: 14,861
    At first I thought it was an arrival/source cue (IE party music that Zimmer had written as part of the score), but based on how it transitions in...I do think that's "Cuba Chase"!

That would be a bit of a first for Bond music, wouldn't it? We've obviously had 'local'-flavoured music several times before as an introduction to a new foreign location (as in DAD, Octopussy, Moonraker etc.), but has that local flavour persisted beyond that before? Such as into an action scene? I can't think of any examples.

I think it could be 'Bond arrives in Cuba' music. I'm guessing from the trailers (and might be wrong) that he arrives by yacht or seaplane, and both of those could work as sort of epic arrivals that this music might work with I guess.
  • That Cuba sequence seems to be chaotic but a lot of fun. Makes sense to give this one a lighter touch since the other action sequences seem to have the emotional intensity/stakes cranked up to 11.
    That Cuba sequence seems to be chaotic but a lot of fun. Makes sense to give this one a lighter touch since the other action sequences seem to have the emotional intensity/stakes cranked up to 11.

Yeah, I think Cuba is basically going to be "old fashioned Bond" action. Totally bombastic and flashy spectacle like only Bond can do.
  • Has anyone been able to grab the music from the first 30 or so seconds of the latest podcast? Probably my favourite snippet yet along with the one from 17:20 from the episode before. Such beautiful, lush melodies with Zimmer’a goosebump inducing orchestration that’ll be breathtaking with the visuals for sure. I wonder where these pieces fit, if I had to guess
    17:20 from the Bond Around the World episode I would guess is for an establishing shot of either Matera or the Atlantic Ocean road. The one from the latest pod, feels like an emotional climax of sorts, maybe after Madeleine and Mathilde are rescued or Bond’a “death”
    Seems some brand new Zimmer bits here https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00100pr
  • I can't remember a week where we, Bond soundtrack fans, were so spoiled. First the official podcast, and now a dedicated two hours of special content from James King covering the entire franchise -- with an entire half dedicated to Craig's era.

I've never been so ready for a new score. Roll on, NNTD!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I can't remember a week where we, Bond soundtrack fans, were so spoiled. First the official podcast, and now a dedicated two hours of special content from James King covering the entire franchise -- with an entire half dedicated to Craig's era.

I've never been so ready for a new score. Roll on, NNTD!

I guess the weeks where the actual scores have been released have probably spoiled us more ;)

(Just being facetious! :D )
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Wow, it certainly seems like, from the music playing under the NTTD of the Radio 2 show, that there are quite a few different tracks using the melodies of the theme song through this movie. Slow and sad version, big and powerful one, slightly ominous ones...
  • mtm wrote: »
    Wow, it certainly seems like, from the music playing under the NTTD of the Radio 2 show, that there are quite a few different tracks using the melodies of the theme song through this movie. Slow and sad version, big and powerful one, slightly ominous ones...

Need to give it a listen! Does a lot of the music in the episode sound like it's from Zimmer?
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool

Need to give it a listen! Does a lot of the music in the episode sound like it's from Zimmer?

When they're talking about NTTD yep :-bd
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2021 Posts: 14,861

I wouldn't say so, it doesn't sound very Zimmer to my ear (although he's obviously embraced a few styles over the years) but it must be from the score, because there's nowhere else it can be from! :)
    If you go to about 30 mins in there's a version playing under Lynch's interview, and then a couple more after that.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00100pr
  • It sounds like Billie had actually contributed vocals to the score? Have we had that before?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It sounds like Billie had actually contributed vocals to the score? Have we had that before?

I thought I could hear some singing in there; glad I wasn't the only one! :)

I must say, I don't really follow her career or know a huge amount about her, but she does seem very charming in these interviews.

On another subject, the R2 James King interview bit with Paul Epworth really made me respect Skyfall even more as a song: just hearing about its clever construction, its place in the film, the emotions that its chords are designed to provoke- it really is a brilliant piece of work.
  • If this is guess is right, it might be the lightest of spoilers. But I'll put it in tags anyways.
    The wonky background chord in the audio clip from NTTD that starts the second episode -- the "Bond, James Bond" moment at the desk in MI6 -- seems to be from the end of that ripping, classic Bond theme piece which originally ended the first official podcast episode. And was used in the soundtrack promo clip.

Which suggests to me, that classic Bond theme rendition is indeed the track "Back to MI6" on the score.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    edited September 2021 Posts: 231
    Not sure if anyone has seen this? It's interesting as David Arnold picks his favourite cues from each film and he's had some time to reflect which I think is interesting. Quite a good interview. Sounds like he's keen to hear the NTTD score like the rest of us.

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/five-time-james-bond-composer-david-arnold-favourite-007-musical-cues-132636515.html
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Satorious wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone has seen this? It's interesting as David Arnold picks his favourite cues from each film and he's had some time to reflect which I think is interesting. Quite a good interview. Sounds like he's keen to hear the NTTD score like the rest of us.

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/five-time-james-bond-composer-david-arnold-favourite-007-musical-cues-132636515.html

Excellent pick of cues by Arnold.

Only one I would quibble over is SP, Donna Lucia is the best cue on the album.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    I agree with quite a few of Arnold's choices - particularly for his own scores. As for Spectre I'd probably pick 'Madeline' myself (I do like Donna Lucia but find it a little too similar to Severine from SF). Los Muertos Vivos Estan is also a lot of fun.
    I'm looking forward to hearing Zimmer's score in its entirety. From the snippets I've heard so far, it does sound an improvement over Thomas Newman's two poor scores.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    I hope @phantomvices takes on the task of cleaning up the new queues heard on James King's BBC radio show. :D
    I just want to say a big thank you to @marketto007.

I didn't know that the opening track features...
    We Have All The Time in the World
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 6,665
    bondsum wrote: »
    I just want to say a big thank you to @marketto007.

I didn't know that the opening track features...
    We Have All The Time in the World

Really? Had no ideia. And when do we think it features?
    Where did you find the info?