Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    Ever notice how it’s perfectly acceptable to bash LeBeouf and blame him for the movie, but if he wasn’t a white male, you’d be a monster for even suggesting he was bad.

I'm trying to do the mental gymnastics to figure that one out...
    TR007 wrote: »
    Zekidk wrote: »
    All the silly stuff, the CGI animals, who seem to pop out everywhere, is pure Lucas. It has been reported that the first 40 minutes was pretty much Spielberg, and the rest of the movie a Lucas vehicle. Im glad that Lucas isn't attached to Indy V.
    I don’t think that’s true. Where was that reported?
    I don't remember where, but I remember it as remarkable. That was probably the moment I thought to myself "that's why I prefer the first half hour." I loved Darabonts script, too. Sadly Lucas had made up his mind about all the alien-stuff. I envy those who don't have an issue with this.

I'll believe that when I see it.
    Believe what you want. I am not here to convince anyone.
    All the silly stuff, the CGI animals, who seem to pop out everywhere, is pure Lucas. It has been reported that the first 40 minutes was pretty much Spielberg, and the rest of the movie a Lucas vehicle. Im glad that Lucas isn't attached to Indy V.
    I don’t think that’s true. Where was that reported?
    I don't remember where, but I remember it as remarkable. That was probably the moment I thought to myself "that's why I prefer the first half hour." I loved Darabonts script, too. Sadly Lucas had made up his mind about all the alien-stuff. I envy those who don't have an issue with this.

I'll believe that when I see it.
    Believe what you want. I am not here to convince anyone.
    Good man.
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 669
    I thought Shia was rather good. He was a bit of a jerk then and has proven himself to be an even bigger jerk since, which I genuinely think colors a lot of people's opinion of the acting and the character. But I do believe that if people knew nothing about him going into this movie - his comments, his antics, even his silly name - almost everyone would find it to be a perfectly solid performance.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I only have 2 real beefs with Crystal Skull- the refrigerator in the air, and the 'pretend the snake is a rope' thing. I like the rest of the movie.
    "Close your eyes, Marion!" And that's what saved them? LOL.
    Drinking shitty blood from a skull goblet made Indy evil. Got it.
    Indiana Python & The Holy Grail? ;)
    These movies are pulpy silly enjoyable popcorn antics. It's all good.
    Great to know that Ford is ok and on the mend and filming will recommence soon! :-bd
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It's not Indy, but kind of related: Disney+ are apparently eyeing a Rocketeer sequel- good news if it happens.

Sounds like it may be set 50s or 60s?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/david-oyelowo-to-produce-the-rocketeer-reboot-for-disney-1235005473/
    Yay!!! Love THE ROCKETEER.
    The entire reason I went to see it was for Dalton. It ended up being one of my favorite films of the '90's. Be interesting to see what someone else does with it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes indeed, it would need to keep some of that fun action/adventure feel though, hopefully that's what the plan is. It's good to hear they seem to be planning on keeping a period setting too- if it were 50s or 60s I don't think it would spoil it at all.

I guess we'll see if Oyelowo would be planning to take the lead: I've not seen him do something fun before so I'd be a bit nervous. I was thinking that John Boyega would be really good: he's obviously shown he can do that sort of movie acting before.
    "On set yesterday" (From Mikkelsen's FB account)
    241128643_400829788065084_7783165723492115299_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=5p1G_OfTJuoAX-A2XGp&_nc_ht=scontent-cph2-1.xx&oh=919f5a691f61f32d482ca0221d673ee4&oe=61379119
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think it seems that he was on the set of an advert he was shooting though, not Indy.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    mtm wrote: »
    I think it seems that he was on the set of an advert he was shooting though, not Indy.

But I’m sure that the blonde hair does have something to do with Indy.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes I suppose it could be blond: I thought he was just a bit grey to be honest! :)
    Phoebe Waller Bridge destroys everything she comes near.Especially Harrison Ford led franchises...

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    Phoebe Waller Bridge destroys everything she comes near.Especially Harrison Ford led franchises...

After the Shang Chi prediction, Indy 5 being a classic must be nailed on!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Just a rumor being repeated in an echo chamber.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    I'm gonna ignore such a comment regarding Waller-Bridge cause it's ridiculous.
  • I have genuine concerns about the film but my concerns arise out of Hollywood’s track record of destroying franchises, they don’t arise out of Pheobe Waller-Bridge. She might save the film entirely for all we know.
    Some people prefer to burn a bridge...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2021 Posts: 14,861
    This seems to happen with pretty much every movie sequel now: a group of weirdos get upset that there’s a woman or a black person in it (“they have their own, African/female characters which are actually really brilliant actually, why do they need to come near ours? It’s actually them who are the REAL racists/sexists, not me” etc. etc.) . It’s quite easy to filter out because it’s the same old rubbish each time.
    It's not even the first time we've had it with Ms Waller-Bridge (you can usually tell it's from the less knowledgable corner of the internet because they only know her from her acting appearance in a Star Wars film and think she writes/acts every role like that).

Anyway, Harrison's back on set and they're shooting in a lovely town in Sicily soon, that should be fun- I'm sure some paps will be there and we'll get a glimpse of full Indy with luck.
    This is a Kathleen Kennedy production.So most likely,Indy will be humiliated by the young female star who will know everything and be better than him at everything.He will also most likely die at the end in a horrible way and the young female star will carry on after him.

Basically pretty much how they humiliated Han Solo in The Force Awakens.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    This is a Kathleen Kennedy production.So most likely,Indy will be humiliated by the young female star who will know everything and be better than him at everything.He will also most likely die at the end in a horrible way and the young female star will carry on after him.

No n oooo nnoooo ooo NO! If so, I won't bother seeing it. But James Mangold might not let her mess about. But then again.... Logan....
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

I loved when all of these things happened in those other Kathleen Kennedy productions like ET, Jurassic Park, Munich, The Sixth Sense etc. as well.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited September 2021 Posts: 5,834
    I think that's a bit of a leap to be honest. Also, didn't Han Solo die cause Ford wanted him to?
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 6,665

I loved when all of these things happened in those other Kathleen Kennedy productions like ET, Jurassic Park, Munich, The Sixth Sense etc. as well.

ET was particularly bad in that department, I mean, the way Drew Barrymore just undermined ET's role and presence. And don't get me talking about how Dr. Sattler could battle velociraptors on her own, while Dr. Grant was left dealing with a brachiosaurus's giant sneeze. Or about that all women spy team in Munich. And Jeez, in The Sixth Sense, the men were portrayed as really dumb, particularly Bruce Willis character, not knowing about you know what till the very end. Damn it Kathleen Kennedy! Damn it! ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2021 Posts: 14,861
    Is Star Wars fandom the weirdest one? I remember when it was actually thought as being quite cool to be a Star Wars fan (compared to being a Trek fan, or of Dr Who or any of those other fandoms) but now it seems to be where all the crazy and angry lives. They're all supposed to be from different planets, guys: one of them is even a giant dog. If you can accept a giant dog as your hero then you should be able to cope with women and black people.

Anyway, is it okay if I ask that we please try to keep talk in this thread about the new Indiana Jones film and what's actually happening in it (and not the weird blatherings of bitter guys on YouTube) as it's my happy place :)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I really wanna get a glimpse of Shaunette Renée Wilson's character :)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I really wanna get a glimpse of Shaunette Renée Wilson's character :)

Ask and thou shall receive :)