Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• edited September 2021 Posts: 440
    Interestingly, the new Matrix seems to be focusing much more on the Red-Blue pills as part of the story.

Not only are they incredibly prominent in the trailer and marketing clips. But even the lighting inside the movie seems to feature blue lighting and designs for the antagonists and red lighting and costumes for the heroes.

I know someone who went to a test screening* so I already know the plot. It's definitely as out there as 2/3, arguably more so. So the reaction from the public will be interesting.

*Of course, that edit was about 170-ish minutes so they've undoubtedly cut a lot out since then for the final release.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Great trailer.
    I was wondering: what are all of your opinions on Reloaded and Revolutions? I think it's pretty much universally agreed that the first Matrix is amazing so leaving that out.

I've always enjoyed both THE MATRIX and RELOADED from the first time I ever saw them. I only saw the first on TV, and then the second in theaters. I didn't see REVOLUTIONS in theaters because word of mouth was THAT bad. When I did eventually see it on rental I felt pretty lukewarm about it. That said, in recent years I've actually turned around on REVOLUTIONS and began to appreciate it more. If you treat RELOADED and REVOLUTIONS as one big film, it plays much better than as separate films.

I'm looking forward to RESURRECTIONS.
  • Great trailer.
    I was wondering: what are all of your opinions on Reloaded and Revolutions? I think it's pretty much universally agreed that the first Matrix is amazing so leaving that out.

I've always enjoyed both THE MATRIX and RELOADED from the first time I ever saw them. I only saw the first on TV, and then the second in theaters. I didn't see REVOLUTIONS in theaters because word of mouth was THAT bad. When I did eventually see it on rental I felt pretty lukewarm about it. That said, in recent years I've actually turned around on REVOLUTIONS and began to appreciate it more. If you treat RELOADED and REVOLUTIONS as one big film, it plays much better than as separate films.

I'm looking forward to RESURRECTIONS.

I agree with the double-bill of Reloaded and Revolutions, it works quite well.
  • Interestingly, the new Matrix seems to be focusing much more on the Red-Blue pills as part of the story.

Not only are they incredibly prominent in the trailer and marketing clips. But even the lighting inside the movie seems to feature blue lighting and designs for the antagonists and red lighting and costumes for the heroes.

I know someone who went to a test screening* so I already know the plot. It's definitely as out there as 2/3, arguably more so. So the reaction from the public will be interesting.

*Of course, that edit was about 170-ish minutes so they've undoubtedly cut a lot out since then for the final release.

Yeah similarly for me, I know a Youtuber who knows someone who went to a test screening, so I've already spoilt the plot for myself. I'm looking forward to the next trailer and of course the release. It will be interesting how people react to it. I wonder if people will like it more than the other sequels?
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Interestingly, the new Matrix seems to be focusing much more on the Red-Blue pills as part of the story.

Yeah similarly for me, I know a Youtuber who knows someone who went to a test screening, so I've already spoilt the plot for myself. I'm looking forward to the next trailer and of course the release. It will be interesting how people react to it. I wonder if people will like it more than the other sequels?

I'm guessing that, if what I'm hearing is right, and that the trailer doesn't really give the viewer a good impression of what the new film is about, then there will be a certain amount of disappointment. The new trailer is, imo, just amazing, but it's getting a lot of its kick from the combination of the always atmospheric White Rabbit with the feels you're getting from seeing Keanu and Carrie-Anne back as Neo and Trinity (especially as Keanu has acquired a little more gravitas in recent years), however we know Jessica Henwick is the new star of the franchise, and she's not in this trailer much; I suspect what the trailer is selling and what we're getting might be very different things.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2021 Posts: 23,104
    I watched all 3 original Matrix movies at the Cinema, the first film blew me away so the hype toward the second was at an all time high.

Reloaded takes a while to get going though I was obsessed with that film and watched it numerous times at the Cinema. To be honest I have never analysed one single film as much as I did Reloaded, I even wrote about it when at University in one of my assignments. There is a lot going on in that film.

Revolutions to me was a lazy movie and very disappointing it could have been so much better, there is a lot of needless filler in the third film. I often say that parts 2 and 3 should have just been one 3 hour movie. Of course there being 2 sequels instead of 1 made more money for the studio.

What I have seen in the Resurrections trailer fills me with a lot of confidence 20 years is a long time and plenty of time to develop new idea's and expand the mythology.

Just for the record I feel the original trilogy works better for me on the basis that Zion is in fact in the Matrix.

Edited: The Resurrections trailer has a look very similar to the rebooted Matrix at the end of Revolutions i.e. the colour of the Sky and park that the Oracle and the Architect are in.
  • I watched all 3 original Matrix movies at the Cinema, the first film blew me away so the hype toward the second was at an all time high.

Reloaded takes a while to get going though I was obsessed with that film and watched it numerous times at the Cinema. To be honest I have never analysed one single film as much as I did Reloaded, I even wrote about it when at University in one of my assignments. There is a lot going on in that film.

Revolutions to me was a lazy movie and very disappointing it could have been so much better, there is a lot of needless filler in the third film. I often say that parts 2 and 3 should have just been one 3 hour movie. Of course there being 2 sequels instead of 1 made more money for the studio.

What I have seen in the Resurrections trailer fills me with a lot of confidence 20 years is a long time and plenty of time to develop new idea's and expand the mythology.

Just for the record I feel the original trilogy works better for me on the basis that Zion is in fact in the Matrix.

Edited: The Resurrections trailer has a look very similar to the rebooted Matrix at the end of Revolutions i.e. the colour of the Sky and park that the Oracle and the Architect are in.

filler is the word to describe Revolutions. The battle with Smith was good, but Zion was just SO BORING. I like Reloaded as an action film, it's actually pretty solid if you get the philosophy of the Architect, and The Matrix is amazing.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Just watching the 4K version of the trailer at 0.25 playback speed I am seeing all sorts of crazy stuff.

In one scene
    the first Matrix movie is being projected onto what appears to be a cinema stage/screen, the screen has been torn and a swat team are chasing someone through the screen.

When Trinity screams out wt...
    Its Trinity's image splitting as well as multiple images of a completely different person.

Just realised there is a major spoiler on the thumbnail of the 4K Trailer below.

Looks even better with the extra detail, I need to stop watching this trailer.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I noticed that bit with the footage playing in the background too on my first watch, it was a very cool shot.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I noticed that bit with the footage playing in the background too on my first watch, it was a very cool shot.

Yeah it happens twice in the trailer the first time is just before Neo looks in the mirror and sees another person, at first I thought the other person was Agent Smith.

Yeah it happens twice in the trailer the first time is just before Neo looks in the mirror and sees another person, at first I thought the other person was Agent Smith.

It seems there are a couple of shots where someone else is reflected in a mirror, especially when Neo's around. It's very interesting. Possible remnants of past Neos bleeding through this new iteration of the Matrix? If not, who are they? It makes me wonder if Neo has always looked the exact same or not.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    After the cartoonishly ott kills of the Hatchet films, I would be surprised if Halloween has anything up its sleeve to shock me. Those kills were so ridiculously ott, Jack Crackers death immediately springs to mind, from Hatchet 2.

It seems there are a couple of shots where someone else is reflected in a mirror, especially when Neo's around. It's very interesting. Possible remnants of past Neos bleeding through this new iteration of the Matrix? If not, who are they? It makes me wonder if Neo has always looked the exact same or not.

After watching the trailer I cant help think of some of the concepts from Cloud Atlas and the soul existing in different body's/incarnations throughout time. Resurrections may not be that specifically, though it maybe along those lines, or perhaps Neo and Trinity's consciousness is just inhabiting other peoples bodies hooked up to the Matrix.

The more I think about the Resurrections trailer the more I am talking myself out of the theory of Zion being in the Matrix. Of course the trailer will barely be scratching the surface of whats really going on.

After watching the trailer I cant help think of some of the concepts from Cloud Atlas and the soul existing in different body's/incarnations throughout time. Resurrections may not be that specifically, though it maybe along those lines, or perhaps Neo and Trinity's consciousness is just inhabiting other peoples bodies hooked up to the Matrix.

The more I think about the Resurrections trailer the more I am talking myself out of the theory of Zion being in the Matrix. Of course the trailer will barely be scratching the surface of whats really going on.

There definitely seems to be some ideas of consciousness passing through new iterations on display here. It seems like we'll get to enjoy Neo and Trinity finding one another again, perhaps loving each other from the start without instantly recalling their "past" together. It's going to be a blast.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

I don't like musical's though Spielberg is a shoe in for best director here, visually this looks very impressive.

edited September 2021 Posts: 40,372
    It looks visually wonderful but there's no way it'll come close to the beauty and perfection that is the 1961 version. The fact that they haven't shown much in the way of the song and dance of the film in these trailers is a little disconcerting too.

Also, first poster for Nightmare Alley has been released:

nightmare-alley-poster-1.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=750&dpr=1.5
    Nightmare Alley Trailer

---
    @Creasy47 I have never watched the original West Side Story all the way through, though I have seen clips of the film with Natalie Wood.
    Nightmare Alley Trailer

---
    @Creasy47 I have never watched the original West Side Story all the way through, though I have seen clips of the film with Natalie Wood.

Looks great. A must-see.
    Nightmare Alley Trailer

---

Looks great. A must-see.

Yes, this one looks really incredible and the cast is amazing. I can’t wait for this.
    I know very little of Nightmare Alley though I have several of Del Torro's films I am a fan of his work.

I am still yet to watch The Shape of Water I really need to make time to watch that.
    I know very little of Nightmare Alley though I have several of Del Torro's films I am a fan of his work.

I am still yet to watch The Shape of Water I really need to make time to watch that.

It s a good one, but I think my favourite may be Pan s Labyrinth.

It s a good one, but I think my favourite may be Pan s Labyrinth.

Ditto. Pan's Labyrinth is a masterpiece.
    Pan’s Labyrinth, The Devil’s Backbone, and The Shape of Water are all masterful
    FoxRox wrote: »

Fully in agreement. Cronos is a bit dated but worth a watch too.
    FoxRox wrote: »

Fully in agreement. Cronos is a bit dated but worth a watch too.

True. The man's a master.

edited September 2021 Posts: 40,372

Licorice-Pizza-poster.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=750&dpr=1.5
  • There's a new James Bond movie coming out tomorrow!