Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• echoecho 007 in New York
    Limit the story to one location after the PTS and London briefing.
    Would you consider DN to be a one location film once Bond arrives in Jamaica ? I know Crab Key is supposed to a different island, but reachable by boat from Jamaica in not very long a period of time.
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 207
    I do hope we get a film soon where it's limited to one location.
  • echo wrote: »
    Limit the story to one location after the PTS and London briefing.
    It may depend what it understands by one location (is it a city? a country?), but, I definitely agree about a limitation of the story to a specific geographical area, like in YOLT or TMWTGG.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I like a bit of variation, not sure I see the need to stick to one place.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited August 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Let’s just use the Stagecraft technology used on Mandalorian and save a lot of money, if the goal is reduce the budget. Anyway I’d love to see a modern Bond film sticking in just one cool locations, with very little variation and a bit of London of course.
  • Not a general idea about what should be the direction of the series post-Craig, but something more specific: in view of the recent Afghan events, a reinvention of Kamal Khan - an exiled Afghan prince, described as motivated by political ambitions in the original script - could be very interesting in a future installment.

It's never really touched on in Octopussy, and therefore could still a great basis for a vilain. It's easy to imagine such antagonist in Bond 26 or 27, whose plan could be to manipulate Western secret services in order to create an international crisis to allow him to then return to Afghanistan and take power for himself.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 503
    Given what MI6 has been up to lately in the real world:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/mi6-flies-trans-pride-flag-123406426.html

And also given the general decline in pop culture masculinity, the advent of the feminist Me Too movement, the racial justice movement, the Gamergate movement, the "Destroy Statues of Old White Men" movement, and the upheaval of just about every traditional British-Western ideal...

I'd say Bond 26 is going to be very different from anything we've seen yet.

- I am 99% certain we will not get a white, straight non-transgender male actor in the role.

- I am 99% certain the trend of feminism being a central component of Bond girls (now just called "strong women in Bond films") first initiated in 1995 will continue, even accelerate.

- I am 99% certain there will be some direct mention of the social issues going on in real life right now, in a way that makes traditional Bond movies and Bond fans look bad.

Virtually every other popular traditional movie franchise has been subject to this "Woke" narrative injection, and the 007 franchise hasn't had a new movie be produced since all this social upheaval occurred. Portraying a straight white male hero (who isn't completely limp-wristed) just isn't going to happen in the 2020s.

So Bond fans.... buckle up.

The sky is falling.
  • I think we’ll be seeing a hard reboot in the sense that it will be completely divorced from Craig’s continuity and the previous 20 films before it, but I’m curious to see how they’ll re-establish the character. Do they go to Bond in his prime at a nondescript point in his career? Do we have a young Bond who is still developing as a character/agent? Do we get a re-imagining of the origin story? Many interesting routes to go and could all be hugely successful or unsuccessful depending on the execution.
    I think we’ll be seeing a hard reboot in the sense that it will be completely divorced from Craig’s continuity and the previous 20 films before it, but I’m curious to see how they’ll re-establish the character. Do they go to Bond in his prime at a nondescript point in his career? Do we have a young Bond who is still developing as a character/agent? Do we get a re-imagining of the origin story? Many interesting routes to go and could all be hugely successful or unsuccessful depending on the execution.

I'm really hoping it's not a Bond learning his trade origin story with the next actor. We just had an entire era of that with Craig. However, it's the trend these days, so I wouldn't be surprised.
    At this point, I'd be open to the idea of returning Bond back to the cold war with a period piece.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I think we’ll be seeing a hard reboot in the sense that it will be completely divorced from Craig’s continuity and the previous 20 films before it, but I’m curious to see how they’ll re-establish the character. Do they go to Bond in his prime at a nondescript point in his career? Do we have a young Bond who is still developing as a character/agent? Do we get a re-imagining of the origin story? Many interesting routes to go and could all be hugely successful or unsuccessful depending on the execution.

I'm really hoping it's not a Bond learning his trade origin story with the next actor. We just had an entire era of that with Craig. However, it's the trend these days, so I wouldn't be surprised.
    At this point, I'd be open to the idea of returning Bond back to the cold war with a period piece.

I don't think Eon is ever going to do that as their main cinematic offering, but I have been wrong plenty of times before.
    And I am at the point as well, where I just want a "Bond in his prime on a stand-alone mission"-film. I would personally also love it, if they went back to the old muddled non-continuity where they pull out stuff from previous films when they want to and totally ignore it at other times. But as everyone is saying: I don't now if audiences weaned on the Marvel Continuity Universe will accept that.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2021 Posts: 14,935

I guess it has been 15 years since they did that though so maybe not too soon; it’s beyond me how they can make it feel fresh and different though I must admit. I think it’s likely we’ll get something like that; maybe the tone will even be steered by the actor choice- his strengths etc.
    mtm wrote: »

I guess it has been 15 years since they did that though so maybe not too soon; it’s beyond me how they can make it feel fresh and different though I must admit. I think it’s likely we’ll get something like that; maybe the tone will even be steered by the actor choice- his strengths etc.

CR was the perfect opportunity to tell an origin story, being the first novel and all. Eon did this to perfection in my eyes. I suppose if they wanted to go much younger they could adapt the Young Bond novels and use that an another route to tell Bond's beginnings. I would actually love that if it were set during WW2 like those books.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I would enjoy a WW2 Bond (someone a while ago christened the idea 'War Bond' which I thought was rather excellent :) ) but I think I'd prefer it as books rather than films.
    mtm wrote: »
    I would enjoy a WW2 Bond (someone a while ago christened the idea 'War Bond' which I thought was rather excellent :) ) but I think I'd prefer it as books rather than films.

I suppose it would have to be done right, really. Seeing Young Bond on a WWII mission could be exciting. One of the elements I liked best about the Fleming biopics (like SPYMAKER) was the uniforms and WWII espionage feel. Of course those films were television movies and Bond would have much more of a budget to focus on the period details.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    The problem is that you run the risk of isolating the fandom even more, because general audiences have already moved away from Bond as an important experience and franchise so to make it a period piece, would do the opposite of what the producers need to do to keep the franchise going, and keep people interested.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    The reason mainline Bond films will never be done as period pieces is all down to merchandising. Can't advertise those expensive new Omega watches if your movie takes place in 1941.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited September 2021 Posts: 12,994
    Seeing Young Bond or War Bond isn't really my interest especially if it replaces the focus on/affects the release of straightforward 007 missions. Probably best served as a project for streaming on some venue.

At the same time I realize it could be well done, as the Young Bond books have a good reputation.

So I'd receive it as I would Black Bond or other possibilities: a film experiment that exists on its own. To definitely watch and give it a chance.

Seeing Young Bond or War Bond isn't really my interest especially if it replaces the focus on/affects the release of straightforward 007 missions. Probably best served as a project for streaming on some venue.

At the same time I realize it could be well done, as the Young Bond books have a good reputation.

So I'd receive it as I would Black Bond or other possibilities: a film experiment that exists on its own. To definitely watch and give it a chance.

In all honesty I'd much rather have the next iteration of Bond focus on straightforward missions with little personal angst. Bond in his prime. I prefer tradition to experimentation. However, since the trend these days are re-boots and origin stories I have my doubts that will ever happen again.
    edited September 2021 Posts: 5,962
    Minion wrote: »
    The reason mainline Bond films will never be done as period pieces is all down to merchandising. Can't advertise those expensive new Omega watches if your movie takes place in 1941.

Easy fix: time-traveling Bond.
    echo wrote: »
    Minion wrote: »

Easy fix: time-traveling Bond.

The next Bond can have an invisible Delorean.
    By the time we actually get B26, DAD will have had it's resurgence.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited September 2021 Posts: 1,006
    I’m guessing Bond in-his-prime and straightforward missions for the next fella.

We are operating under the assumption that all Bond films take place between Quantum of Solace and Skyfall… right?
    I like to think of Craig’s run as providing the bookends to the character.
    I’m guessing Bond in-his-prime and straightforward missions for the next fella.

We are operating under the assumption that all Bond films take place between Quantum of Solace and Skyfall… right?
    I like to think of Craig’s run as providing the bookends to the character.

I always think of Craig’s era as totally separate, and the other ones all in a very loose continuity. After all, Dalton being referenced to having had Tracy in ‘89, looking around the same age as Lazenby in ‘69, doesn’t add up. Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton, and Brosnan all have the same “history” but are different I suppose.
  • silva13silva13 Australia
    My hopes for Bond 26 is that they keep the grittiness of the Craig film's and the raw emotion but maintain mostly standalone plots. And if they are going to do overlapping plot threads or build up to bigger villains, I hope they plan it out and lace it with breadcrumbs.
    I'd always like them to use Fleming as a springboard for a new era if they can. But only if they can actually update it in a way that makes sense like they did with CR. It's not going to be possible to do that with all of the books, and even harder now considering bits and pieces have been cherry picked through the years.

If they can't update the stories in a way that makes sense, I'd rather they went their own way with things. The Fleming "reimagined" doesn't really do it for me. With that in mind, a film like GoldenEye would be a great template to use, I feel.

Yes, using Fleming as a springboard is the best idea for a new Bond. I think of TLD...there wasn't a ton of Fleming, but there was enough.

That being said, there's not a lot of usable Fleming left. It's now so dated and picked over. I can't see Eon dropping in, say, a giant squid, just to tick the boxes skipped over in 1962.

Perhaps pieces of MR, TMWTGG, and THR.

there is plenty of unused fleming
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I'd always like them to use Fleming as a springboard for a new era if they can. But only if they can actually update it in a way that makes sense like they did with CR. It's not going to be possible to do that with all of the books, and even harder now considering bits and pieces have been cherry picked through the years.

If they can't update the stories in a way that makes sense, I'd rather they went their own way with things. The Fleming "reimagined" doesn't really do it for me. With that in mind, a film like GoldenEye would be a great template to use, I feel.

Yes, using Fleming as a springboard is the best idea for a new Bond. I think of TLD...there wasn't a ton of Fleming, but there was enough.

That being said, there's not a lot of usable Fleming left. It's now so dated and picked over. I can't see Eon dropping in, say, a giant squid, just to tick the boxes skipped over in 1962.

Really, there's really a lot. And most of it isn't dated at all. How is a giant squid dated? Or swimming amongst barracudas? Or partaking in a game with M? Or being brainwashed and assigned a deadly mission to prove yourself? Not to mention the characters, names and all, still left on the page. I say there's plenty.

And coming back to Fleming doesn't necessarily mean using the original product per se. Think of the scenes we've seen of Bond on his yacht, spear fishing. That is pure Fleming right there. It's all about the spirit of it. And EON knows it well, fortunately.
    Agree, so very much. Some of the entertaining sequences in the books were comparatively quiet moments. For example: a relaxed discussion with the heroine of the story, discussing her life or some aspect of it. Were something like that included now I am sure some would scream out about their ideas of why such a scene really were included. That would be unfortunate, and ignorant. Fleming did it much more than once, with the heroines and with other characters, as well. It has been used in the films, albeit with brief scenes. I know movie-watchers now -- notice I did not say "film-goers" since watching at home already was becoming popular pre-pandemic -- seem to have no patience and need everything to move quickly. However, in a film well laced with action setpieces, the setup scenes can be very effective and draw viewers in...I think... Excellent reference, too, to Bond's book scenes with M out of the office, such as at M's club, before they engage in a game of skill and chance with the suspicious character.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Apparently even Barbara has no idea where Bond would go after Craig.
    Univex wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »

Really, there's really a lot. And most of it isn't dated at all. How is a giant squid dated? Or swimming amongst barracudas? Or partaking in a game with M? Or being brainwashed and assigned a deadly mission to prove yourself? Not to mention the characters, names and all, still left on the page. I say there's plenty.

And coming back to Fleming doesn't necessarily mean using the original product per se. Think of the scenes we've seen of Bond on his yacht, spear fishing. That is pure Fleming right there. It's all about the spirit of it. And EON knows it well, fortunately.

Exactly and while I am in the minority I love the smaller plots of the craig films even Skyfall and Spectre (which i am not fans of) have these sort of smaller intimate plots and with the right screen writer you can develop fleming into modern day thrilled.

I remember saying this years ago even in the smaller stories Fleming adds a line or two that could be developed into films on their own.. Case in point in the hildebrand rarity Bond is at the Seychelles Islands invsting the security of a potential military base... if I was witing the next bond film that would be my starting point. well why is Bond there? Is there issues on the island? Threats? etc and build it into a good 2 hour film