NTTD & Corona

Comments

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited August 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    If Bond ultimately manages to do $700m, that’s impressive given the times. No ifs or buts about it. Saying it didn’t make its ROI will be more of a footnote than a reflection of what a failure it is.

Right.
    If it tops F&F9 it would be the most theatrical seen movie of 2021 (besides the chinese "Hi, Mom") worldwide.

Spidey has a chance to outgross F9.
    If Bond ultimately manages to do $700m, that’s impressive given the times. No ifs or buts about it. Saying it didn’t make its ROI will be more of a footnote than a reflection of what a failure it is.

$600 million would be absolutely impressive, a SF level of success. $700 million it’s out of Bond’s reach. Grossing $500 million would still be a success, since given the current situation with the business down a 40/50% a $500 million theatrical gross would’ve meant something like 1B pre COVID and that was more or less the prediction back then. NTTD has always been projected to stand in between SP and SF level of success. Ah, and F9 was always projected to gross more than Bond.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    edited August 2021 Posts: 1,664
    The $928 figure comes from the return on investment approach, which is different from simply breaking even.

Say you put $20 for a lottery ticket, but you only win $20. You essentially got your money back, but you didn't make MORE money than you spent. That's kind of where MGM is at. If the movie makes $600m, it broke even, but it didn't make anyone richer than they already were.

At least, that's my rough understanding of ROI.

Yeah, but it's also made up. The writers seem to have no special knowledge of how these films are financed or to what degree product placement and other deals factor in. Applying their calculations to QoS and SP would suggest those films lost money, only to be followed up by even more expensive movies, which would make Barbara and Michael formidably stupid and incompetent people, which I suspect is not the case.

Or on this new article, their random "calculation" involves averaging out SF and SP grosses (for some reason) and, among other random things, multiplying that by the total difference in total annual box office (for some reason). The number of seats that can be sold is somehow factored in too. But it should be obvious that a screening with restricted capacity is more likely to sell out than a film with maximum capacity. But they just multiply the numbers for no reason.

Beyond that, the 25% capacity restriction they give for Germany (where I live) is not accurate, and they say Australia "cannot be projected" but then do project it to be zero dollars.

And just fundamentally, they're comparing apples and screwdrivers. There is simply not enough data to model how a movie like NTTD will perform in the current climate. These articles are written so that tabloid writers who are allotted 15 minutes a day to turn in a Bond article will quote them and send traffic to the website.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I genuinely don’t understand why they aren’t marketing this film. Free guy made “a lot” of money, and they marketed that film so hard. Billboards everywhere, trailers, special trailers, adverts on social media- all like 3 months before. Everyone I talk to doesn’t even know a bond film is coming out
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 500
    I genuinely don’t understand why they aren’t marketing this film. Free guy made “a lot” of money, and they marketed that film so hard. Billboards everywhere, trailers, special trailers, adverts on social media- all like 3 months before. Everyone I talk to doesn’t even know a bond film is coming out

Circle back to this in a week or two.
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 625
    Beyond that, the 25% capacity restriction they give for Germany (where I live) is not accurate.

Correct. It differs from state to state.
    In some german states they allow 100%, in others 50%.
    But 25% is not accurate at all any more.
  • There's still a virus out there, where's the MI6 HQ open letter begging them to delay ...

They pretty much blew their marketing budget advertising the film over the last two years.

• brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    matt_u wrote: »
    Point is that with a mask on is almost impossible to get COVID in a movie theater with a reduced capacity.
    "Almost" > not good enough

We will never in our lifetime see a time where the risk is down to 0.
    So "almost" is as good as it gets.
    Hence my logic for waiting til the stream and disc.
    Point is that with a mask on is almost impossible to get COVID in a movie theater with a reduced capacity.
    "Almost" > not good enough

We will never in our lifetime see a time where the risk is down to 0.
    So "almost" is as good as it gets.
    Hence my logic for waiting til the stream and disc.

There's nothing wrong with your opinion, it's your life. Everyone has different risk tolerance. Totally defensible position.

However, if we're going to look at risky situations — let's look at riding in an automobile. Very dangerous thing! Thankfully, we have seatbelts and air bags and other safety mechanisms that greatly reduce the risk (but not to 0!) of death and serious injury if an accident occurs.

Sort of like vaccines, distancing, and masks.
    In some places the risk is NOT down. My home state unfortunately is carrying a highly disproportionate share of cases and deaths. ICUs are filled. Not so long ago there would have been much less risk going into a theater. It's peaking here again, and then some. Sucks. Waiting it out. Thing is -- will we be past this peak by the time NTTD gets released ? Hope so.
    Personally I think they have left it too late. A Summer opening in late July august would have been better. September October time is highly risky and tbh after the original optimism around the vaccine, I fully expect restrictions back this winter.

Maybe even circuit breaker lockdown

I’m actually interested as to what they will do- whether it will be delayed again
    Since62 wrote: »
    In some places the risk is NOT down. My home state unfortunately is carrying a highly disproportionate share of cases and deaths. ICUs are filled. Not so long ago there would have been much less risk going into a theater. It's peaking here again, and then some. Sucks. Waiting it out. Thing is -- will we be past this peak by the time NTTD gets released ? Hope so.

We were talking about the risk in a movie theatre compared to other locations like a restaurant, school, public transport etc.

And the risk of getting the virus in a movie theatre is way lower in a movie theatre than elsewhere.

Who are the cases and deaths in your home state?
    90% of them not vaccinated?

Then a vaccinated person would not have a high risk to get severe ill.

So, yes. Of course the risk is not down (and will never be) if you're not vaccinated. But for vaccinated people the risk is down as down as it can get.
  • Matt007 wrote: »
    Personally I think they have left it too late. A Summer opening in late July august would have been better. September October time is highly risky and tbh after the original optimism around the vaccine, I fully expect restrictions back this winter.

Maybe even circuit breaker lockdown

I’m actually interested as to what they will do- whether it will be delayed again

Are you refering to the UK? Why on earth would there be another lockdown?
    It will depend on how fast they will offer everyone the third jab.

If not, all the people who were vaccinated in spring and summer will be without vaccination in December/January/February.

I got my second jab in mid-July. So I think the vaccination will work until Christmas. But then I'm not so sure anymore.

We were talking about the risk in a movie theatre compared to other locations like a restaurant, school, public transport etc.

And the risk of getting the virus in a movie theatre is way lower in a movie theatre than elsewhere.

So, yes. Of course the risk is not down (and will never be) if you're not vaccinated. But for vaccinated people the risk is down as down as it can get.

Agreed.There is always going to be a risk no matter what you do.To stay at home because of risk is no way to live.You take a risk every time you get behind the wheel of a car,does that mean you give up driving? You take a risk every time you board a plane,does that mean you give up flying?

By all means take precautions,but get out there and live your life.

AstonLotus wrote: »

Agreed.There is always going to be a risk no matter what you do.To stay at home because of risk is no way to live.You take a risk every time you get behind the wheel of a car,does that mean you give up driving? You take a risk every time you board a plane,does that mean you give up flying?

Huge +1.
  • Jan1985 wrote: »
    It will depend on how fast they will offer everyone the third jab.

If not, all the people who were vaccinated in spring and summer will be without vaccination in December/January/February.

I got my second jab in mid-July. So I think the vaccination will work until Christmas. But then I'm not so sure anymore.

Erm, it will still work after Christmas ...
    FWIW, the IMAX Cinema in Fort Lauderdale -- north of Miami, in Florida, USA, on the Southeastern Florida coast -- shows the following in its schedule of films coming up, in chronological order with soonest first:
    Shang-Chi
    Dune
    NTTD
    Eternals
    Top Gun: Maverick
    Spider-Man: No Way Home (for me, more like "Spiderman: No Way Another One")
    The IMAX theater there is nice and LARGE, with a very high ceiling. I don't know their policies now, but we'll see what they'll have as time goes by during the course of these releases, particularly in terms of density of the audience...I mean placement of their bodies, not their brains.
  • AstonLotus wrote: »

From the point of view of someone living with someone who is clinically extremely vulnerable in an area where COVID cases are nearly double as high as where they were in the first wave, I must disagree. Data from Israel (with high vaccination like the UK) shows that 60% of people severely ill with COVID are double jabbed. This comment is not designed to scare, but everyone should judge whether it's safe based on their situation, and what is going on in their area.
  • In most situations though it's appropriate, but people should be able to choose whether they deem it so.

This comment is not designed to scare, but everyone should judge whether it's safe based on their situation, and what is going on in their area.

In Italy for example 94% of people in ICU has NOT been vaccinated.
    The only thing I really can’t stand is the notion that theaters are riskier places than trains, bar, restaurants etc etc. Theaters are not riskier. They’re just more expendable.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

Driving in a car is not the same as a highly communicable disease. C'mon.
  • matt_u wrote: »

This comment is not designed to scare, but everyone should judge whether it's safe based on their situation, and what is going on in their area.

The only thing I really can’t stand is the notion that theaters are riskier places than trains, bar, restaurants etc etc. Theaters are not riskier. They’re just more expendable.

That is true. Public transport and schools are the most transmittable places
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited September 2021 Posts: 12,914
    echo wrote: »

Driving in a car is not the same as a highly communicable disease. C'mon.

Still, the levels of risk based on fatalities, hospitalizations can be compared.

DoctorNo wrote: »

Don’t wanna jinx it and I know I’ve been one of the more pessimistic voices here but after this marketing blowout they’ve unleashed, combined with recent statements from MGM, venues secured for the premiere, all of which are promoting it…they’ve reached the point of no return now.

Top Gun was likely delayed because they think Covid will be hitting much worse in late November when it was scheduled to release. That’s pretty different from September. And MI7 seems to still be filming so it makes sense that was delayed.
    DoctorNo wrote: »

No Time to Die is not delaying unless they are legally required to (shutdowns), which will not happen.

I don't know how clearer they can be with this point!
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

And no where near as popular. People can live without movie theaters, but god forbid they can’t have their live concerts, restaurants, bars, etc. Theaters are the place where you can’t even talk and socialize like in other venues, so it’s “less cool”.

And no where near as popular. People can live without movie theaters, but god forbid they can’t have their live concerts, restaurants, bars, etc. Theaters are the place where you can’t even talk and socialize like in other venues, so it’s “less cool”.

Yeah, this is something that's really frustrating me. There is no world where a movie theater — where at most a couple hundred people are silent — is significantly more dangerous than an NBA arena with 20,000 people screaming for the same length of time.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    There's still a virus out there, where's the MI6 HQ open letter begging them to delay ...

It's being drafted as we speak.