NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    BMB007 wrote: »
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    BMB007 wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't care about corporations.

People actually work for those hated corporations. I'm all for fair taxes and all, but...

Comcast (Universal) or MGM (soon to be Amazon) is not going to shut down or lay people off if NTTD doesn't make a gazillion dollars.

We'll see. >:)
    I don't get why people would be afraid to go to the movies, when they have no problems to go to stadium concerts.

Billy Joel yesterday:
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Living in Germany and being in the „older audience“ category obviously (46) I can say that I will see NTTD on opening night with a group of friends. All fully vaccinated I do not have any concern going.

With my family I watched (and enjoyed!) Jungle Cruise (funny family movie) and Black Widow (we liked it) and paid those 22 EUR, each without any regret or hestitation. We would‘ve gone to the cinema eventually I assume at least for „Jungle Cruise“ … but No Time To Die is a MUST-SEE for me and friends 100%. So I would not be surprised if at least here in Germany movie attendance will be higher than expected, because 007 still is very popular over here - despite all the competition it has in the spy/action genre.

I doubt the movie will break even in it‘s initial run though - too many really big blockbusters could not achieve it and Europe alone won‘t help. It needs the US and China money … obviously. But still hope it makes enough so it won‘t be added to the „flop list“
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    So I would not be surprised if at least here in Germany movie attendance will be higher than expected, because 007 still is very popular over here - despite all the competition it has in the spy/action genre.

Yes, NTTD for sure will be by far the most succesful movie of the year here in Germany.

At the same time I'm sure, that it will not have admissions like Skyfall or Spectre:

Skyfall: 7,8 million tickets sold
    Spectre: 7,1 million tickets sold

For comparison: The most succesful Bond film in Germany is "Thunderball" with 11,3 million tickets sold (on par with Avatar, Lord of the Rings and The Lion King). The least succesful Bond is "Licence to Kill" with only 2,5 million tickets sold.

But in 2021 even that would be enough to take the top spot of the year-end-charts.
    That's how low cinema admissions here in Germany are at the moment.

The most succesful films of the Covid-era in Germany are "F&F9" and "Tenet" (both 1,7 million tickets sold).

So 3 million admissions would be a huge success in Covid-times.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    We're in lockdown here until 2 Sep, while Sydney is probably stuffed until the end of year at this rate
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    w2bond wrote: »
    We're in lockdown here until 2 Sep, while Sydney is probably stuffed until the end of year at this rate

Lockdown here in melbourne too,again. Where are you ?melbourne too ?

Slow rollout of the vaccines is dissapointing hence ld.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    edited August 2021 Posts: 2,252

Slow rollout of the vaccines is dissapointing hence ld.

@007InAction Yes, nice to see a local fan!
    edited August 2021 Posts: 2,341

Slow rollout of the vaccines is disappointing hence ld.

@007InAction Yes, nice to see a local fan!

2 Sep lockdown is tough.
  • Matera007_Matera007_ Underneath a mango tree
    Honest opinion.
    $400M - $600M at the box office

It’s never good when a film comes out in the UK first. It’ll leak online. People at this point with rising cases are going to prefer their home over a theater. It should be released worldwide in September.
    Matera007_ wrote: »
    Honest opinion.

It’s never good when a film comes out in the UK first. It’ll leak online. People at this point with rising cases are going to prefer their home over a theater. It should be released worldwide in September.

Almost EVERY James Bond movie came out in the UK way before the US.
    This time it's only one week. That's nothing compared to previous films.

"Fast & Furious 9" came out in Russia, China, South Korea and many other countries in Mid-May.
    SIX (!) weeks prior to the US.

Did anyone bother?
    I believe most people in the US have no clue about theatrical release dates of movies in other countries. They simply don't care. And I don't think, that millions of Americans watched an illegal online-leak of "F&F9" in May.
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 4,400
    This poll got me thinking....

Now that Eon are digging their heels in with that October date, it has me thinking what exactly they are expecting the film to gross on opening in the USA. The highest opening Bond was SF at approximately $80m. SP then dropped to around $70m opening......I think that they are hoping that NTTD can open to $50m. By any conventional logic, that would be disappointing, but for a pandemic, I'd say that would be a success. Especially if the film is leggy and doesn't suffer too big a second and third window drop (though Venom 2 cutting into premium screens in week 2 is going to hurt NTTD).

Personally, I think the best comp for NTTD is Dunkirk. Both are films with a British flavour and part of an esteemed canon (Bond and Nolan). Dunkirk opened to $50.5m in American and went on to make $188m in America. I don't think NTTD will get to that number, but it could get close. Much will depend on reviews, premieres, marketing, etc. (The release of Shang-Chi this weekend will give us a better idea.)

tumblr_inline_otqzp4azm11uw9izn_500.gifv

Does anyone have a clearer idea of what sort of numbers NTTD could open to in the UK?
  • For what it's worth, Forbes thinks it'll gross close to what CR and QOS did. The key will be to have legs at least as those of SPECTRE.

https://forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2021/08/31/james-bond-no-time-to-die-final-trailer-daniel-craig-spoiler-free/

• Matera007_ wrote: »
    Honest opinion.

Most if not all the Craig films have come out in the UK first.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    For what it's worth, Forbes thinks it'll gross close to what CR and QOS did. The key will be to have legs at least as those of SPECTRE.

https://forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2021/08/31/james-bond-no-time-to-die-final-trailer-daniel-craig-spoiler-free/

This is breaking my heart but I think it will make less. IMO the best case scenario would be breaking the $500 million mark. The business is off 40/50% in the US and frankly I don’t feel so much hype surrounding the release, outside for Bond fans of course…
    Shang-Chi's projected record-breaking weekend may harbor good omens for NTTD.

https://deadline.com/2021/09/shang-chi-and-the-legend-of-ten-rings-labor-day-weekend-box-office-1234825437/
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    A $70 million opening is what NTTD deserves and maybe, maybe, there’s a chance to hit it.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Top Gun: Maverick’ has been pushed back from 19 November 2021 to May 27, 2022.
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Top Gun: Maverick’ has been pushed back from 19 November 2021 to May 27, 2022.

More devastating news.......😉
    The studio has also pushed back Jackass Forever, which moves to Feb. 4, 2022, departing an Oct. 22, 2021, date.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    At least Bond is full steam ahead (for the time being, anyway...).
    edited September 2021 Posts: 2,341
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    At least Bond is full steam ahead (for the time being, anyway...).

I can't see it being pushed back again imo, maybe in Australia again ?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited September 2021 Posts: 40,372
    It'd be rough to release the final trailers, only to be forced to delay once more. I don't see it happening but all of these delays in the past 24 hours or so are certainly curious and worrying too.
    It'd be rough to release the final trailers, only to be forced to delay once more. I don't see it happening but all of these delays in the past 24 hours or so are certainly curious and worrying too.

There are so many promotions going on etc that it seems a mere formality that the release is imminent.
    Can't wait for the (unbiased) reviews.
    Are biased reviews (paid, etc) still plausible... ???

There are so many promotions going on etc that it seems a mere formality that the release is imminent.

The Guardian newspaper is shown front and center in M’s office at the start of Spectre.

Spectre review from The Guardian : “ ONE OF THE BEST BOND MOVIES EVER!!!

• AstonLotus wrote: »

The Guardian newspaper is shown front and center in M’s office at the start of Spectre.

I remember almost all the major UK outlets calling it one of the best Bond films. And then once the film released in the US there was an uptick in the ratio of negative reviews.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Bloody yanks.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 500
    AstonLotus wrote: »

I remember almost all the major UK outlets calling it one of the best Bond films. And then once the film released in the US there was an uptick in the ratio of negative reviews.

That always cracks me up. Leaving my American showing of Spectre, I loved it and the audience seemed to dig it. Then I saw the reviews/discourse online by (presumably) Americans and was very confused!
  • I remember my heart sinking in the theater after watching the PTS of Spectre, which even the more negative reviews cited as perhaps its biggest highlight but I did not much enjoy lol, which led me to wonder what the rest of the movie had in store for me.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Do you guys think that you will read reviews before you watch the film. It’s kinda hard to avoid but I do feel like even seeing the RT affects the experience tremendously
    Do you guys think that you will read reviews before you watch the film. It’s kinda hard to avoid but I do feel like even seeing the RT affects the experience tremendously

Some of my favorite blockbuster films ever (TPM, BVS) are hated by critics. There's blockbuster films I don't like that critics loved (TFA, Marvel movies).

I trust my own opinion.
    edited September 2021 Posts: 2,341
    AstonLotus wrote: »

When i watched Spectre at the cinema i liked it.
    After watching it again several times on disk i changed my mind....

Everyone makes mistakes, especially movie reviewers as we all know.

Anyone know if the big name movie reviewers get "bribed" ?
    It could mean several 100's of million dollars at the box office depending on the reviews so i wouldn't be surprised if they do.