Lost but now found! The Unreleased Bond Music Thread!

Comments

• edited August 2021 Posts: 6,682
    Regarding those filtered instrumentals, other songs that are worth processing are the Stay on These Roads version of TLD and Shirley Bassey's No Good About Goodbye. No distracting artifacts or volume changes in the filtered versions, and they're great to listen to.

Yesterday I was thinking about Yannick Zenhäusern's recreation of the music in GE that plays when Bond arrives in Russia. I'd always felt it was missing something; the melody wasn't as full-bodied as it was meant to be. And then it became clear: the piano! Yannick used a soft synth pad for the melody, but the original piece uses a piano sound (and as far as I can tell, nothing else). The piano is louder and much more striking than the synth. So I thought, why not add the piano myself? It's simple enough, and the rest of the piece is already in place. So I set out to add the piano.

I searched for the video of Yannick's track on YouTube but didn't find it. Fortunately it was only hidden, rather than deleted (IIRC, Yannick had been considering deleting his Bond videos after the GE25 situation). I found the URL through this very forum.

I added a synthesized piano with very soft attack and a slightly out-of-tune touch, like a saloon piano. I thought I was done, but then I also noticed the original cue features some background synth pads playing chords. These were either missing or not audible enough in Yannick's version, so I added them too. I also added a few background piano notes that were missing near the end, and made the end of the piece a little less abrupt with a reverb crossfade.

I'd like to remove the synth pad playing the melody but that's beyond my capabilities. At any rate, the piano obscures it well enough.

In my opinion, the piece is now closer to Eric Serra's original, though whatever my additions, it goes without saying that Yannick did most of the heavy lifting by putting the piece together in the first place. Have a listen!

His version:

My hopefully improved version:
    https://mega.nz/file/wdJjTCKI#5yXp9pA2s2X72rbDRQZowoTdYe2YHAVP9nrXxVC_zrI

Presented in FLAC but sourced from lossy audio (from the YouTube video).

P.S.: I'm working on the Goldfinger cues I have left.
    @mattjoes that's a great addition to that cue.
    Thank you!
  • mattjoes wrote: »
    A virtual instruments recreation of Moonraker's Venini Glassworks, by yours truly:

https://mega.nz/file/4UAnWYLQ#n9lE2dwUiC6XfFaIuFpuG8V-L6cxWF6BlJoM98tcSqo
    mattjoes wrote: »
    This was inspired by an edit vzok did of the freefall music from Moonraker, where, taking advantage of the repetitive nature of the music, he pasted different bits and pieces of the audio together to get around the more prominent SFX. He also used the reverb tail off from gkgyver's synth recreation of the music. I applied the same principles but refined the editing a little, got rid of a few more SFX, and used a reverb plugin for the tail off rather than sourcing it from the synth recreation. The result? About the cleanest version you can get of this music without recreating it or seeking out the original recordings, wherever they are. No sounds of kicks, parachute fasteners or the screams of "Jean-Pierre Castaldi" aka "Kabir Bedi" aka "Andreas Wisniewski".

It's a lossless file, though it's sourced from a DVD with lossy audio.

https://mega.nz/file/FFhw0AJT#O5hSiq-nmriIg9Gj2rqDi1RrdlNUtz7zAWsSszR8m2k

Can I thank you SO much for posting these cues, in particular the freefall sequence. You and @vzok have done a phenomenal job of cleaning it up and it's been something I've been trying to track down for years.

And I cannot wait to hear some more of your Goldfinger reconstructions, in particular the music when Pussy and Bond frolic in the hay at Goldfinger's ranch :)
    You're welcome. I too look forward to finishing and sharing the Goldfinger music.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 17,241
    Thank you, Surrender sounds great!

jake24 wrote: »
    I’ve always wanted to hear the instrumental version of DAD so that I can enjoy the cool beat and orchestral elements without Madonnas’s constipation sounds over it.
    There's also an actual instrumental version that was released or leaked at some point.

DAD certainly is a bare-bones song. Always loved the strings and intro to this song, but the rest (which isn't much), and Madonna's vocals is a big "meh" for me.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 6,682
    I know it's not the most popular song out there, but I've grown to really like it. Much of the appeal rests on the backing strings you mention, but I also love the simple melody, and even Madonna's robotic, chopped-up vocals. I also like that so much of the lyrics consists of these dramatic statements, which reflect Bond mentally preparing to face torture. As if he was saying a mantra.

I also like the Deepsky remix.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 252
    vzok wrote: »
    This is all I can do with Derval Vs Angelo

Pls can u reup this one? And maybe the other unreleased cues from TB like "Fionas Wild Car Ride" "In Bed with Fiona" etc..., that would be awesome, thank you

This is a key unreleased piece of music of the NTTD score which I have reconstructed. I couldn't wait for the Blu-Ray to come out, so I just used the audio of the streaming release for reference purposes in recreating it.

Download link in FLAC (includes both the track by itself and mixed with WHATTITW):
    https://mega.nz/file/UVwEVbpa#VYGp-3wX6DOva1yMIYOh3AG5qY2lJworBFiW6x8sEWk

I actually interrupted work on the unreleased Goldfinger music for this. Now I'll go back to that.

(crossposted in the NTTD score thread)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @mattjoes
    You are a god among us, puny men. Thank you!
    @mattjoes
    Another winner
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @mattjoes
    You are a god among us, puny men. Thank you!
    Sneaking under your skin? ;)
    You're welcome!

@mattjoes
    Another winner
    Thank you sir.

Listening to this, I was thinking the first part with the brass chords reminds me of M's theme in Skyfall (from Voluntary Retirement and Mother). I wonder if that's a coincidence or intentional.
    Bernie99 wrote: »
    This is all I can do with Derval Vs Angelo

Pls can u reup this one? And maybe the other unreleased cues from TB like "Fionas Wild Car Ride" "In Bed with Fiona" etc..., that would be awesome, thank you

@Bernie99

I don't have "Derval vs Angelo" but I have the other two:

https://mega.nz/file/gBgEWCxI#gciA0rIjx2QlZZmyI1ZWYtZnOdnMtVT8zUbxj7xGMaE

https://mega.nz/file/UFJmkZSC#sjAhSXpBEWxEqtkouVW9tHJUJxZOeKMkxMXhvUpnUog

---

And the end credits suite of NTTD:

https://mega.nz/file/YM4gzYxJ#mBMbtJoona1xl7F5__spOEEfR2nJ5HJy6xCqOv0JSig
    Derval - a bit of a bodge, but all I have.
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/8ntuxz
    Missing Daylights
    Nice work, and I like how it is extended.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Is this from the final 'wouldn't miss this performance' scene?
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    mtm wrote: »
    Is this from the final 'wouldn't miss this performance' scene?

Right you are @mtm it is :D I've always loved that scene and the way The Pretenders' if There Was A Man starts immediately after Dalton's Bond finishes his short and stylish speech....a perfect double entendre with Barry starting the build-up.
    Missing Daylights

Wow thank you
    Does anyone know anything about the De Wolfe library music used in Bond? I know there was a lot of circus music in Octopussy, but apparently AVTAK and TLD use some tracks too. Any ideas?
    TLD uses Chris Blackwell's Sacred Heart for the Ghetto Blaster music.

According to Bond music expert The Cat, the car music played when Chuck Lee dies in AVTAK also comes from De Wolfe. Last year I searched their online catalog to try to find it, but came up empty. I tried filtering their library through genre and year. I assumed the track had been composed no earlier than 1980.

I also asked about it at a library music forum but nobody knew.

According to Bond music expert The Cat, the car music played when Chuck Lee dies in AVTAK also comes from De Wolfe. Last year I searched their online catalog to try to find it, but came up empty. I tried filtering their library through genre and year. I assumed the track had been composed no earlier than 1980.

Thank you

Thank you

De nada.
  • edited March 2022 Posts: 6,682
    This took a while, but I give you...

bHjwU8b.jpg

GOLDFINGER: RECONSTRUCTION OF THE UNRELEASED MUSIC:

This album contains a reconstruction of all the unreleased music heard in the James Bond film GOLDFINGER. It was created by listening to the film audio, transcribing each cue to sheet music by ear, and rebuilding it using high-quality virtual instruments, while aiming to be as faithful as possible to the original version. Although creating the album took plenty of time and effort, it was a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy listening to these terrific compositions by the maestro John Barry.

While I had already released the first six tracks, for this complete album, I went back to those tracks and applied some mixing fixes and improvements. So, if you downloaded any of the older tracks, I recommend you replace them with the new versions.

LISTEN HERE:

DOWNLOAD HERE:
    https://mega.nz/file/JRxwUbIZ#BoXIK3vxGKtPJYNo4wmJ5JTA3cZlWbBm1j4qMnn0YVY

(includes music in lossless quality, cover art, and digital booklet with more information on the reconstruction, plus a music sequencing guide)

Enjoy!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Amazing stuff! Many thanks!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited March 2022 Posts: 23,447
    @mattjoes
    You are genius, sir! Thank you, from the bottom of my heart!

Edit: I almost daren't ask but if you could somehow find a way to pull another one like this off, say... Moonraker... I'd be most grateful. Not that I'm not grateful now. ;-)
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Amazing, @mattjoes! Congratulations and thank you very much!
    Amazing! Heard it earlier when I got your channel notification @mattjoes. oh my days! must have been a lot of work! one of my favourite scores has now pretty much got a definitive release. More inevitable requests are going to come....congrats!
  • edited March 2022 Posts: 4,023
    Thank you @mattjoes for your hard work. Much appreciated.
    You're all welcome!

DarthDimi wrote: »
    Edit: I almost daren't ask but if you could somehow find a way to pull another one like this off, say... Moonraker... I'd be most grateful. Not that I'm not grateful now. ;-)
    I'd rather slash my wrists.

Okay, no, that's not true, but I couldn't resist that joke!

I'm not sure about working on another complete score at the moment. But speaking of Moonraker, I do have a desire to do the Gondola Chase music. Back in 2010 or 2011, gkgyver posted his recreation of it over at the CBn forums, and eventually inspired me to work on this kind of thing myself. I'd like to revisit that track and improve it. But it's not a promise.

Also, I have a request, from a while back, for a track, that I want to honor now that GF is done. I've decided that's the only request I'll formally accept, because doing this takes time, so I must work on what really tickles my fancy at the moment.

---

I'm wondering if there are any Goldfinger tracks that you fellas like best?

Personally, I enjoy the beginning of Car Crash, the percussion of Teasing Mei-Lei, the first 35 seconds of Auric Stud and the GF instrumental in Bond and Pussy.

I love all the music but especially that.