List of Bond pop culture references lost on modern audiences

Comments

• w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    edited August 2021 Posts: 2,252
    The reason I single out Kojak is I don't tend to hear "Joseph Wiseman of ____ fame", or "Curt Jurgens, best known for playing _____". The Kojak connection seems to be mentioned in every review and his Blofeld performance is judged against it, which is the reason I started the thread in the first place. So you're right, it's not a reference within the movie. Same goes for The Avengers.

But you make a fair point. Sean Bean and Diana Rigg, for example, are better known to younger audiences for Game of Thrones. And in your defence, Waltz's Blofeld performance is judged against his Tarantino appearances.

Let's say I'll sleep on the idea

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2021 Posts: 14,861
    Yeah I think even if Kojak had come before it wouldn't be a 'reference': it's just a talented actor playing more than one part. I wouldn't say Andrew Scott appearing in Spectre is a reference to Sherlock (and he's playing a baddie in both, unlike Savalas).

I can't think if any Bond guest actors (other than cameos) have ever referenced their other roles in a Bond movie...? There's no Dracula references in TMWTGG for example.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I suppose the ghetto blaster joke in TLD is lost on many young people today.
    Of course, in DAF, we have Willard Whyte, who's an expy of Howard Hughes. People at the time would have been aware of the later days of his life, where he was a recluse at the top of the Desert Inn. Nowadays, the reference would be lost.

@Thunderfinger What is the joke? I like the line because of the delivery but never got the joke
    @ProfJoeButcher @mtm I've taken out Kojak and Avengers.

Added:
    Goldie (TWINE)
    Deborah Moore (DAD)
    Sébastien Foucan (CR)

I think cameos need a separate thread.

Other famous actor appearances (not sure if they are considered cameos, or just bit parts: Gerard Butler, Charles Dance, Dolph Lundgren, Oona Chaplin

Not sure if "Call Me Bwana" deserves a mention. It's more of an insider joke rather than a pop culture reference

Also:
    Beach Boys cover?
    Frank Sinatra (SP)?
    London Calling??
    w2bond wrote: »

@Thunderfinger What is the joke? I like the line because of the delivery but never got the joke

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boombox
    Oh I see. Ghetto refers to "the ghetto"
    The newsreader in TWINE is Martin Lewis, the Huw Edwards of his day.
  • aaron819aaron819 Switzerland
    edited August 2021 Posts: 1,208
    Wrong thread, apologies
  • cwl007cwl007 England

I always took that 'joke' to be a play on the word Blaster rather than Ghetto. As in blasting the music out in the real world or blasting a rocket out of it as a weapon in Bond's world.
    Another pop culture reference that comes to mind is the Barbara Woodhouse "sit" gag, completely lost on anyone who didn't grow up in the '80s.
    I always took it as MI6 aiding the Americans in blasting people in the ghetto.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited August 2021 Posts: 17,727
    Another one you could include for TWINE would be the former BBC newsreader Martyn Lewis who had a small cameo in the film playing himself reading a news report on Elektra King's kidnapping. It would be doubtful that young people today would know who he was. They might just think he was an actor playing a bit part in the film.

Edit: Oops. I see @vzok's just mentioned that above. I didn't notice that as I'd only read the first page of the thread!
    cwl007 wrote: »
    Another pop culture reference that comes to mind is the Barbara Woodhouse "sit" gag, completely lost on anyone who didn't grow up in the '80s.

• cwl007cwl007 England
    I remember this being on the telly at home when I was a kid. Jeez there was some crap on British TV in the 80s, there were only 4 channels to fill as well!
    I remember this being on the telly at home when I was a kid. Jeez there was some crap on British TV in the 80s,

And now there isn t?
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    I remember this being on the telly at home when I was a kid. Jeez there was some crap on British TV in the 80s,

And now there isn t?

There is yes, but now we have 67 million channels you can more easily avoid Barbara Woodhouse.
    She'd probably get her own Netflix series
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I don't know when exactly the bumbling cop trope started in the US--and it's replete in DAF, LALD, and AVTAK (and notably not in GF)--but audiences probably wouldn't think it was so funny now.
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 3,564

I always took that 'joke' to be a play on the word Blaster rather than Ghetto. As in blasting the music out in the real world or blasting a rocket out of it as a weapon in Bond's world.

Maybe you need to be a certain age to get it... when that film came out, great big radio/tape players were popularly called "ghetto blasters" in the USA because their most common use was in just that fashion, blasting out music WAY LOUD on inner-city streets.
    echo wrote: »
    I don't know when exactly the bumbling cop trope started in the US

Well, the Keystone Kops started in 1912...
    ...and it's replete in DAF, LALD, and AVTAK (and notably not in GF)--but audiences probably wouldn't think it was so funny now.

It was never a good idea in Bond's world, which is populated by professionals who are at worst middling and rarely outright incompetent. That was true at the start of the series, but by the time of DAF self-parody had set in.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    There's also a thing where I just never really like the police getting involved with Bond whether they're comedy or not: they really do just get in the way and pretty much slow the plot down. The Octopussy car chase is maybe one of the better times they showed up as they added actual tension.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited August 2021 Posts: 4,415
    daphnedeckers1.jpg

Daphne Deckers who introduce Bond as new banker in Tomorrow Never Dies and doing speach in English/German and be fired by Carver after Bond put Carver speach down. She was interviewd with Desmond about the movie and January 1998 there was special Playboy.

MV5BOTgzNTU0NDItNDhlOC00MzQ4LTk3YzktNTY4YWIxNzc5MGZkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDY3NDY4Mzg@._V1_.jpg

She is Dutch model and actres, wife of the at time fames Dutch tennis player Richard Krajicek. Barbara Broccoli meet them at tennis match in the UK (England).

Her cameo and delay of Titanic (8 January 1998) be part of why Tomorrow Never Dies was moost succesfull movie in 1997 in The Netherlands. She was second Dutch element who work on movie, Dicky Beer stunt guy also.

Earlier this year her daughter Emma (Born in January 1998) get a part in Amazon (MGM) movie with her Australian boyfriend (Oscar ''Fleming'') movie: Natural Disasters.

Gupta was first plan to be played by Belgium actor Jan Decleir.

With Twine not Heineken was suporter, but Grolsh and that brand you not realy see much any more. I have t-shirt with poster 1 (Bond and girl of fire and 007 credit) with logo of them.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    A lot of good updates, @w2bond.
    Not sure if "Call Me Bwana" deserves a mention. It's more of an insider joke rather than a pop culture reference
    I think it does, in line with Another Time, Another Place.

For consideration: maybe group references to other movies. To collect the Close Encounters, The Magnificent Seven, Lawrence of Arabia items as well.

Suggest adding: "Play it again, Sam" as an (incorrect) Casablanca reference.

81d7f7d8-d7c5-48d8-8c02-2314056b31cc_text.gif

For consideration: maybe group references to other movies. To collect the Close Encounters, The Magnificent Seven, Lawrence of Arabia items as well.

Suggest adding: "Play it again, Sam" as an (incorrect) Casablanca reference.

81d7f7d8-d7c5-48d8-8c02-2314056b31cc_text.gif

Good one. Added, and split the movie references.

What Magnificent Seven?

Added Ricky Jay, Martyn Lewis
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    How about Bond's "Well, I guess it's, uh, a farewell to arms." while at Hemingway House.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/899dcc321d00be74b5bd4b5cda0606a6/tumblr_nmr7v20Mth1qaxihzo1_500.jpg
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 5,772
    What Magnificent Seven?

That :

Same with "Lara's Theme" from Doctor Zhivago used as a ringtone for Anya Amasova in TSWLM.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited August 2021 Posts: 12,914
    QBranch wrote: »
    How about Bond's "Well, I guess it's, uh, a farewell to arms." while at Hemingway House.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/899dcc321d00be74b5bd4b5cda0606a6/tumblr_nmr7v20Mth1qaxihzo1_500.jpg
    I like that, @QBranch. So from A Farewell to Arms, Ernest Hemingway, 1929.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Farewell_to_Arms

How about the line "once more unto the breach, dear friends", from Henry V, Act III, Scene I, 1599.
    https://poets.org › poem › henry-v-act-iii-scene-i-once-...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_V_(play)
    Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
    Or close the wall up with our English dead!
    In peace there's nothing so becomes a man,
    As modest stillness and humility;
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;

Used in From Russia With Love, Terence Young, 1963.
    Bond: "Once more unto the breach, dear friends." [Regarding his assignment involving Tatiana.]

And as used by Fleming in Goldfinger, 1959.
    Chapter 18 - Crime de la Crime
    And now! Now it was not a rabbit in the rabbit hole, not even a fox, it was a king cobra -the biggest, most deadly inhabitant of the world! Bond sighed wearily. Once more into the breach, dear friends! This time it really was St George and the dragon. And St George had better get a move on and do something before the dragon hatched the little dragon's egg he was now nesting so confidently. Bond smiled tautly.
    41dbdXTQeqL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_QL70_ML2_.jpg
    Does CR '67 count ? Because there are references galore in that mess of a movie.
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    As I've written somewhere before about Bond's "Sit!" in OP (I guess it doesn't count, though, since it's only in the dubbing): In the German dubbing, Bond makes a reference to the then famous ESSO gasoline commercial 'Put a Tiger in your Tank'. So, instead of "Sit!", Bond tells the tiger: "You belong in the tank!" 🙃