"Just One More Thing..." - The COLUMBO Discussion Thread

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I have to say the quality of the dvd played through my blu-ray player is great. Far superior to when shown on television. As I know the player slightly upscales the image

I have a 4K TV and 4K player both with HDR, my Columbo dvd's look good upscaled so not been compelled to rush out and buy upgrades as yet.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    When did they release the two first seasons in Blu-ray, @Dragonpol?

I think I bought them both from Amazon UK back in 2019, @Torgeirtrap, more or less as soon as I found out that they existed. I believe they are produced in Australia but they're Region 2. Looking at them on Amazon UK just now it says Season 1 was released on 22 October 2018 and Season 2 was released on 10 March 2017. It seems odd that Season 2 would be released before Season 1 like that so perhaps they've simply mixed the dates up? Anyway, here's a YouTube review I found of them, or Season 2 in particular:

My Season 2 copy is the same as the one shown in that unboxing video but my Season 1 Blu-ray is more in keeping with the Season 2 cover and has the same type of episode details inside so I'm guessing it's a newer release than the one he has.

Releasing season 2 before season 1 seems odd, unless they were able to source the original material from season 2 for restoration first and decided to just release it. Probably unlikely though.

I hadn't heard about these Australian releases before, and for me they're probably not worth getting unless they decide to release the rest of the series as well – at least the 70's episodes. A complete set like the cigar box DVD set would be fantastic.

I know you can get the whole of Columbo on Blu-ray in Japan but it seems that it's very expensive indeed (currently £336.08 on Amazon UK!) and it's not always clear if they ship it internationally from Japan either. Here's two YouTube videos looking at that Japanese full Columbo Blu-ray set:

Unlike the Australian release, I am familiar with the Japanese cigar box set, but as you point out, it's very, very expensive – and shipping might prove difficult. I find it very strange that there's been no American or European Blu-ray releases yet. That must surely happen at some point?

The first few seasons of Columbo have been available in HD digital format to buy on Amazon Prime Video for some time, though I rather have the physical copies in HD.

Physical copies or downloads are equally interesting to me, really. And for not so important releases, digital downloads are preferable just because you save the shelf space. I rather have a physical HD release of Columbo though, and HD downloads from Amazon are still not possible to buy here in Norway…

Digital media has made me lazy, the amount of films I have bought either in HD or 4K Digital Download that already own on Bluray or 4K disk is getting ridiculous. some films I have four copies of, I think I have 6 versions of Superman The Movie :))

I'm familiar with that problem too :))

Most of the titles I own both as physical media and as digital downloads are upgrades though. If I own a film on DVD that I want to upgrade, I often just buy the digital download instead of purchasing the Blu-ray.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2021 Posts: 23,105
    Five times Columbo gets angry

This just popped up on my feed.

I always felt the hatred between Columbo and Robert Conrads character was intense.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    One of the fantastic things about Columbo is the standard of acting.
    Everyone seems to be on their game.
    Hence why we can re-watch them so
    Often and always be entertained .
    One of the fantastic things about Columbo is the standard of acting.
    Everyone seems to be on their game.
    Hence why we can re-watch them so
    Often and always be entertained .

It's been several years since I did a full revisit of the show, very much like Star Trek ToS and Next Gen I leave Columbo alone for a long period so I forget aspects of the show and makes the rewatch all the better for it. I do the same with Bond and classic movies.
    When did they release the two first seasons in Blu-ray, @Dragonpol?

I think I bought them both from Amazon UK back in 2019, @Torgeirtrap, more or less as soon as I found out that they existed. I believe they are produced in Australia but they're Region 2. Looking at them on Amazon UK just now it says Season 1 was released on 22 October 2018 and Season 2 was released on 10 March 2017. It seems odd that Season 2 would be released before Season 1 like that so perhaps they've simply mixed the dates up? Anyway, here's a YouTube review I found of them, or Season 2 in particular:

My Season 2 copy is the same as the one shown in that unboxing video but my Season 1 Blu-ray is more in keeping with the Season 2 cover and has the same type of episode details inside so I'm guessing it's a newer release than the one he has.

Releasing season 2 before season 1 seems odd, unless they were able to source the original material from season 2 for restoration first and decided to just release it. Probably unlikely though.

I hadn't heard about these Australian releases before, and for me they're probably not worth getting unless they decide to release the rest of the series as well – at least the 70's episodes. A complete set like the cigar box DVD set would be fantastic.

I know you can get the whole of Columbo on Blu-ray in Japan but it seems that it's very expensive indeed (currently £336.08 on Amazon UK!) and it's not always clear if they ship it internationally from Japan either. Here's two YouTube videos looking at that Japanese full Columbo Blu-ray set:

Unlike the Australian release, I am familiar with the Japanese cigar box set, but as you point out, it's very, very expensive – and shipping might prove difficult. I find it very strange that there's been no American or European Blu-ray releases yet. That must surely happen at some point?

The first few seasons of Columbo have been available in HD digital format to buy on Amazon Prime Video for some time, though I rather have the physical copies in HD.

Physical copies or downloads are equally interesting to me, really. And for not so important releases, digital downloads are preferable just because you save the shelf space. I rather have a physical HD release of Columbo though, and HD downloads from Amazon are still not possible to buy here in Norway…

Digital media has made me lazy, the amount of films I have bought either in HD or 4K Digital Download that already own on Bluray or 4K disk is getting ridiculous. some films I have four copies of, I think I have 6 versions of Superman The Movie :))

Most of the titles I own both as physical media and as digital downloads are upgrades though. If I own a film on DVD that I want to upgrade, I often just buy the digital download instead of purchasing the Blu-ray.

I am getting more disciplined with my spending, its way to easy to click purchase on streaming services :)) There are films I bought years ago that I have not watched yet.
    I can't help myself at times with old shows I love. My latest the complete box set of Monarch of the Glen :D
    I can't help myself at times with old shows I love. My latest the complete box set of Monarch of the Glen :D

I don't think I ever watched that, was it a Scottish detective series?
    edited August 2021 Posts: 13,384
    It was about a Scottish family trying to keep their castle and lands going. It was a light hearted Sunday night drama from the BBC . It had Richard Briers and Tom Baker to name a few in it.
    It joins my Rockford files, Dept S
    And A team box sets.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited August 2021 Posts: 17,728

I don't think I ever watched that, was it a Scottish detective series?

You might possibly be thinking of Hamish Macbeth.
    It was about a Scottish family trying to keep their castle and lands going. It was a light hearted Sunday night drama from the BBC . It had Richard Briers and Tom Baker to name a few in it.
    And A team box sets.

James Garner was great I watched his TV shows and films a kid. I have a few seasons of the A Team on dvd in storage, I watched several episodes of the A Team a few months ago on TV late at night I cant remember which channel. It was the season the Hulk Hogan appeared in. Must have been around Wrestlemania or Wrestlemania 2. 1985 - 86, when Mr. T was wrestling with Hulk.
    My pride and joy @Fire_and_Ice_Returns is my
    Complete collection of The Saint with my favourite , good old Roger. I even have the Return of the Saint, and just like Alan Partridge I do love the Theme.
    :))
    edited August 2021 Posts: 23,105
    My pride and joy @Fire_and_Ice_Returns is my
    Complete collection of The Saint with my favourite , good old Roger. I even have the Return of the Saint, and just like Alan Partridge I do love the Theme.
    :))

I have the full colour series Boxset of The Saint with Sir Roger on DVD though not the Black and White series. I have the Partridge dvd Boxset and other DVDs though not including the This Time series 1 and 2.

Its been decades since I watched Ian Ogilvy as the Saint.
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 17,241

I am getting more disciplined with my spending, its way to easy to click purchase on streaming services :)) There are films I bought years ago that I have not watched yet.

I have several films I have yet to watch too. When I want to sit down and watch something, I often go for something I've already watched and that I know I like – such as Columbo!
    And A team box sets.

Monarch of the Glen is a series I've forgotten all about until you brought it up now, @Thunderpussy. I remember watching the series on Saturday nights as a kid. Here in Norway, the series went under the name Kar for sin kilt (A Guy for his kilt).
    @Torgeirtrap (A Guy for his kilt). :)) great title.
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 17,241
    @Torgeirtrap (A Guy for his kilt). :)) great title.

It almost sounds like a sitcom translating the Monarch of the Glen to that, but Monarch of the Glen wasn't that translatable, I guess. :))

The three faces of Jack Cassidy

Sorry if this has been posted before.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I never knew he was such a fine artist.
    Agreed @Thunderfinger he was a talented guy. Watching another video today I learned that one of his daughters actually became a private detective ! That must be worth a few points in a pub quiz
    Agreed @Thunderfinger he was a talented guy. Watching another video today I learned that one of his daughters actually became a private detective ! That must be worth a few points in a pub quiz

I wonder if she inherited his coat.

I wonder if she inherited his coat.

He kept it at home (not in the Smithsonian as was rumoured) and it his was his own coat even before he started filming so anything's possible.
    In France, Columbo was isolated. We didn't get all the series(es) that made up the line-up of the Wednesday Mystery Movies. For example, The Snoop Sisters are completely unknown here.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Thanks @Gerard . And I am unfamiliar with THE SNOOP SISTERS myself.

That was shown here in Norway. Also McCloud (a favourite for many) and McCoy. Under the moniker Detektimen, they would air Friday night some weeks at the time. That is also where Columbo aired, of course. Other shows included Cannon, Kojak, The Rockford Files, Baretta, The Persuaders, Ironside, Paul Temple, Lord Peter Wimsey, Ellery Queen, Gemini Man, The Saint, the list goes on.
    Columbo was simply so well made, more like a movie than a tv series. I think this has
    Helped in keeping it fresh over the years.
    Far Out Magazine: The legendary filmmaker who directed the first episode of 'Columbo'.
    https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/filmmaker-directed-the-first-episode-of-columbo/
    I just happen to be watching a classic COLUMBO episode right now: PUBLISH OR PERISH.
    Always been a big Mickey Spillane fan. Great to see him as the victim here.

Jack Cassidy was an excellent Columbo villain.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I just happen to be watching a classic COLUMBO episode right now: PUBLISH OR PERISH.

I remember when he died. Horrible death!

That was intense.

Yes, that was a terrible fire that robbed us of a brilliant actor.

Yes, that was a terrible fire that robbed us of a brilliant actor.

And he was only 49. Great actor. He's in one of my favorite Jack Kelly episodes of MAVERICK playing a real weasel.