NTTD & Corona

Comments

BMB007 wrote: »
    I understand the difficulty with moving the opening again but surely the box office would benefit from the 2022 60th anniversary publicity. + this year respiratory infections are expected to be a real issue as we go into Autumn/Winter. Many older people are unlikely to risk going back to the cinema this year particularly for a film lasting 163 minutes.

Isn't next Summer a possibilty? It used to be the choice for Bond openings

Bond has never done a summer release since LTK.

Frankly, if you're trying to gamble on when rates will improve — good luck. There's been no correlation of seasonality with it. I also think fans overestimate how much impact a "60th anniversary" will really have.

It's going to lose money whether released now, a year, or five years from now. It's unfortunate, but there's nothing they could have done to stop it. There comes a time to recognize the sunk cost.

If it is a good movie (which all indications are it is), people will spend money to see it. Simple as that.

Exactly. There will be other variants. Covid is never going away. It will be circulating in some form forever with outbreaks popping up year after year.

I highly doubt anyone outside of these boards cares or is even aware of the 60th anniversary. That isn't going to move the needle. Anyone who thinks it will is living in a bubble. The reason Skyfall was so successful was due to the Olympics, hype around Javier Bardem, the anticipation after the long gap after QoS, and the hugely positive word of mouth. The 50th anniversary was an added tagline, but nobody really went to see the movie based on that.

Eon either need to accept that the movie just isn't going to make $1bil. or delay it another 2-3 years until that becomes more likely.

I'm most concerned now about that closures in China and Australia and how much revenue the film stands to lose with that, and if that will push them to delay it again given that they've been clear they will only release it when it can be seen in theaters everywhere.
    ertert wrote: »
    I understand the difficulty with moving the opening again but surely the box office would benefit from the 2022 60th anniversary publicity. + this year respiratory infections are expected to be a real issue as we go into Autumn/Winter. Many older people are unlikely to risk going back to the cinema this year particularly for a film lasting 163 minutes.

Frankly, if you're trying to gamble on when rates will improve — good luck. There's been no correlation of seasonality with it. I also think fans overestimate how much impact a "60th anniversary" will really have.

It's going to lose money whether released now, a year, or five years from now. It's unfortunate, but there's nothing they could have done to stop it. There comes a time to recognize the sunk cost.

If it is a good movie (which all indications are it is), people will spend money to see it. Simple as that.

Exactly. There will be other variants. Covid is never going away. It will be circulating in some form forever with outbreaks popping up year after year.

I highly doubt anyone outside of these boards cares or is even aware of the 60th anniversary. That isn't going to move the needle. Anyone who thinks it will is living in a bubble. The reason Skyfall was so successful was due to the Olympics, hype around Javier Bardem, the anticipation after the long gap after QoS, and the hugely positive word of mouth. The 50th anniversary was an added tagline, but nobody really went to see the movie based on that.

Eon either need to accept that the movie just isn't going to make $1bil. or delay it another 2-3 years until that becomes more likely.

I'm most concerned now about that closures in China and Australia and how much revenue the film stands to lose with that, and if that will push them to delay it again given that they've been clear they will only release it when it can be seen in theaters everywhere.

> I'm most concerned now about that closures in China and Australia and how much revenue the film stands to lose with that, and if that will push them to delay it again given that they've been clear they will only release it when it can be seen in theaters everywhere.

I hope they've changed this mindset because there is literally no way theaters are open uninterrupted everywhere for years. When you have countries operating under zero tolerance policies, it's a high-stakes gamble. If they are open in Europe, UK, and US, they should just go for it. It's not like this is something just impacting Bond.

Total agreement on the 50th anniversary not mattering. Skyfall made a bazillion dollars because it was an amazing film with genuine award buzz due to its image and outstanding acting performances. A lot of Bond fans, I've noticed, tend to ignore that part.
    ertert wrote: »

> I'm most concerned now about that closures in China and Australia and how much revenue the film stands to lose with that, and if that will push them to delay it again given that they've been clear they will only release it when it can be seen in theaters everywhere.

I hope they've changed this mindset because there is literally no way theaters are open uninterrupted everywhere for years. When you have countries operating under zero tolerance policies, it's a high-stakes gamble. If they are open in Europe, UK, and US, they should just go for it. It's not like this is something just impacting Bond.

Total agreement on the 50th anniversary not mattering. Skyfall made a bazillion dollars because it was an amazing film with genuine award buzz due to its image and outstanding acting performances. A lot of Bond fans, I've noticed, tend to ignore that part.

These zero-tolerance policies are frankly delusional, and yeah I really hope they've adapted to the circumstances but they seem very stubborn and determined to have the biggest box office debut ever, which the franchise absolutely deserves, but will not happen til at least 2023 I think.

Yeah I cringe every time I hear someone mention the 60th as a selling point. Nobody cares.

It would be cool though if they used the 60th to announce the next actor though, but aside from that it literally means nothing.
  • Exactly. Skyfall had fantastic legs thanks to the great word of mouth. If NTTD is anywhere near that quality, we can expect much better legs than what this year's major releases have been showing so far.

c3143c8146518027b1b515046eef60c1.jpg
    Exactly. Skyfall had fantastic legs thanks to the great word of mouth. If NTTD is anywhere near that quality, we can expect much better legs than what this year's major releases have been showing so far.

c3143c8146518027b1b515046eef60c1.jpg

LOL Nice picture

Yeah I think part of the reason films have struggled recently, in addition to Delta, is that what's released has kind of sucked! There's no reason to go to the theaters — even for the vaccinated. Give the people a reason to go!
    James00789 wrote: »
    JET007 wrote: »
    I’d like to believe NTTD will hold firm. My Corgi DB5 from the movie arrived yesterday! It was previously delayed to coincide with the film’s release. The Venom 2 move is baffling to me. What’s changing in 3 weeks? Plus, it’s a week after Bond, so I’d assume 007 should be safe where he’s at. Everyone seems to realize NTTD isn’t going to get the response financially that it would have gotten in a pre-Covid world. Here’s hoping the PTB see that and hold to the current date.

Im glad your having same thoughts as me :) I agree, they will keep the date im certain. I have plenty of details this week to confirm this will remain firmly on 30th in uk

Do you have any information to back this up? You've alluded to having "sources"
    Since62 wrote: »
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    Since62 wrote: »
    Will all the theaters suck the air out quickly and efficiently?

I don't know where you live, but that's the case already with 99% of all theatres for years, long before covid.
    Here in Germany the air gets exchanged about ten times per hour. So every 6 minutes you breath completely new fresh air from the outside. And those ACs don't make any noise.
    They made lots of tests over the last year and the experts say, that it's almost impossible to get infected while sitting in the auditorium. Another reason for that is, that the air gets sucked out from the ceiling, so no used air will spread out in the room.

People still would be concerned about the persons next to or near them. Did those tests account for persons sitting right next to each other ? So close that the arm-rests cannot be shared, and one person or the other gets to use it.

Of course the person right next to you could be infectious.
    But that's like winning the lottery. We will have to live with that risk. It will not go away. Not next year, not in 10 years.

But then: even IF the person next to you (that has to be vaccinated or tested aswell) is still infectious, you would not get severe ill, because you are vaccinated yourself.

When you're not vaccinated the risk is higher, of course. But even then you need someone who is a spreader right next to you. And that's not the case in most cases.
  • The point about the 60th anniversary is that it will generate publicity and consequently interest in the new film. Another issue is the Amazon takeover of MGM. A Bond film that seriously disappoints at the box office could jeopardise that deal. It's all about money not about keeping the hardcore fanbase happy.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Without mentioning that hardcore fans are never gonna be happy. :D
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    The point about the 60th anniversary is that it will generate publicity and consequently interest in the new film. Another issue is the Amazon takeover of MGM. A Bond film that seriously disappoints at the box office could jeopardise that deal. It's all about money not about keeping the hardcore fanbase happy.

I doubt it. NTTD’s BO performance wont be impacted due to lack of interest or viability of the series. You can argue about the “product quality” of the last few films, but the series as a whole is still highly regarded. Its not a Star Wars situation, far from it.
    "...what we have gone through so far for the release of this." Really ?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    The virus crisis is still with us.
    The point about the 60th anniversary is that it will generate publicity and consequently interest in the new film. Another issue is the Amazon takeover of MGM. A Bond film that seriously disappoints at the box office could jeopardise that deal. It's all about money not about keeping the hardcore fanbase happy.

This is, uh, not true. Bond has very little to do with the MGM deal, as MGM does not own Bond outright.
    People are loosing interest in the film, its been far too long.

Normal people don't wait (like fans do). They forget about all the delays.
    And there are movies, that got delayed more than Bond.
    "Minions 2" should have be released in June 2020, now it will be June 2022, two years later.
    I don't think anyone will say: "Oh, that was a long wait. I'm not interested any more."
    Or "Ghostbusters 3": 1,5 years. People still will be intetested in the film.
    And many more ...
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    People are loosing interest in the film, its been far too long.

Normal people don't wait (like fans do). They forget about all the delays.
    And there are movies, that got delayed more than Bond.
    "Minions 2" should have be released in June 2020, now it will be June 2022, two years later.
    I don't think anyone will say: "Oh, that was a long wait. I'm not interested any more."
    Or "Ghostbusters 3": 1,5 years. People still will be intetested in the film.
    And many more ...

But people who go see NTD will be fans. Not everyone is a fan of bond but if your off to see a 5th daniel craig bond then you must be a fan. More fans than not who will go see it. There's more people who will feel this film release feeling like a lifetime than those not feeling it. Ok really going now see you all in 6 weeks.

Nope.
    No movie will only be seen by fans.
    And with Bond it's maybe 1% fans, 99% "normal" people.

Someone who goes to the movies and watches every James Bond film is not a fan.
    A fan is someone who's engaged in everything James Bond.

But 99% of the people who watch NTTD in the cinema will be people who know about James Bond, who like James Bond. But those are not "fans". Those people don't care about when the movie was originally planned to be released. They don't care about how many trailers came out or what kind of information leaked. And they don't worry about delays and stuff like that.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    James Bond world premiere in Monaco
    The British secret agent arrives in the Principality in a tuxedo for the preview screening of the latest film.

The Opéra Garnier will host the big event on 29 September in the presence of His Highness Prince Albert II, director Cary Joji Fukunaga and Hollywood stars. Cast members, however, will not be present. The film is due to be released in cinemas on 6 October.
    https://www.monaco-tribune.com/en/2021/08/james-bond-world-premiere-in-monaco/
    The British secret agent arrives in the Principality in a tuxedo for the preview screening of the latest film.

The Opéra Garnier will host the big event on 29 September in the presence of His Highness Prince Albert II, director Cary Joji Fukunaga and Hollywood stars. Cast members, however, will not be present. The film is due to be released in cinemas on 6 October.

Wonder if Fukunaga will be at this and not the London one on the 28th or if he'll do them back to back?

Wonder if Fukunaga will be at this and not the London one on the 28th or if he'll do them back to back?

Why not. Free food and booze etc is hard to resist...👍

Hell after how long he's waited for people to see his banger, I'd understand him going to literally every showing.

Hell after how long he's waited for people to see his banger, I'd understand him going to literally every showing.

Who wouldn't ???? He's be mad not to.
    Once in a lifetime experience....✌
    At this point he might be watching it rather like other members of the audience !
    As I said many times I’m more inclined to believe NTTD will stick, but what IF they will delay again? April 22 seems the only reasonable window, since it’s basically the only month that’s not filled with other big releases. It’s certainly far less crowded than October 21 (with Venom and Dune) and I refuse to believe things will be more uncertain by then, speaking about the spread of the pandemic and the confidence of the audiences.
    If delaying one last time would mean grossing let’s say $150/200 million more shouldn’t they do it?

I’m thinking about this only because one last six months delay could be still kinda sustainable and I just don’t see how they can accept to gross just something like $500 million (likely a best case scenario if they’ll stick) after a 1.5 year delay…

Obviously, as a fan, another delay would be more than frustrating.
    Without accounting for the release dates for other films, and with regard only to the pandemic...Might April 2022 be too soon ? If one gives pandemic two years to run, then April 2022 may be too soon, particularly if audiences might need a little time to perceive and feel that it's time, including a "cushion" of time for that perception to develop ? I know. Vague as could be, eh ?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited August 2021 Posts: 8,000
    From what I understand they can’t afford to push it back again. They’re stuck with the current release. The only thing that MAYBE actually force them is if a massive amount of theaters shut down like in 2020.
    From what I understand they can’t afford to push it back again.

That’s the THR take about this situation, based on their sources.
    The Sincara-Group pretends to know, that the royals will attend the premiere on th 28th:

Cool.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

One step closer now...