NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• It's MI6, this site :O Lol
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Aren't there other currently available releases that also don't have Chinese release dates yet? Besides, China has been shuttering some film festivals while simultaneously capping or limiting audience numbers for cinemas. I wouldn't say NTTD not having a Chinese release date yet signifies a delay is inevitable or anything like that.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited August 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Nothing worrying. Blockbusters usually reveal the Chinese date 4/5 weeks in advance… if not with even shorter notice.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Aren't there other currently available releases that also don't have Chinese release dates yet? Besides, China has been shuttering some film festivals while simultaneously capping or limiting audience numbers for cinemas. I wouldn't say NTTD not having a Chinese release date yet signifies a delay is inevitable or anything like that.

Indeed. F9 may have been the last big US film to get released there
    China have been clamping down on the amount of American films that get released there lately.It looks like Marvels Shang-Chi and Eternals are not getting released there because of some controversy regarding the director of latter and one of the actors of the former.

Even Black Widow hasn’t been released there ( and it really needs it if it has any chance of breaking even ).

With China shuttering their cinemas again and the ongoing uncertainty what state the pandemic will be in in two months time,it’s a huge gamble for NTTD to stick to its current release date.Unless of course,behind the scenes they have resolved themselves to the reality that they are going to take a financial hit on the film.
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    China have been clamping down on the amount of American films that get released there lately.It looks like Marvels Shang-Chi and Eternals are not getting released there because of some controversy regarding the director of latter and one of the actors of the former.

Even Black Widow hasn’t been released there ( and it really needs it if it has any chance of breaking even ).

With China shuttering their cinemas again and the ongoing uncertainty what state the pandemic will be in in two months time,it’s a huge gamble for NTTD to stick to its current release date.Unless of course,behind the scenes they have resolved themselves to the reality that they are going to take a financial hit on the film.

Now that there is no ethical considerations (before, it was arguably unethical to release in a theater but now with vaccine it is not), it shifts to a financial question. It's all a gamble — what's the environment look like in 2022? Is COVID any better? Are people interested in movie theaters? Of course, there's the other elephant — if Bond (and other tentpoles) leave, will theaters survive? It's not like EON/MGM will shut down if the film doesn't make a gazillion. Far from it.

I was angry in the moment, but ultimately all the prior delays I understood. Frankly, if they delay it now, I would not understand. The reality is NTTD is going to underperform relative to budget — whenever it is released. Punting another year would incur more interest expense. And by then, would there be any intrigue in a film that's been in purgatory for years? Who knows.

All I know is, at this point, a delay would be greed. Pure and simple.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    BMB007 wrote: »

Now that there is no ethical considerations (before, it was arguably unethical to release in a theater but now with vaccine it is not), it shifts to a financial question. It's all a gamble — what's the environment look like in 2022? Is COVID any better? Are people interested in movie theaters? Of course, there's the other elephant — if Bond (and other tentpoles) leave, will theaters survive? It's not like EON/MGM will shut down if the film doesn't make a gazillion. Far from it.

I was angry in the moment, but ultimately all the prior delays I understood. Frankly, if they delay it now, I would not understand. The reality is NTTD is going to underperform relative to budget — whenever it is released. Punting another year would incur more interest expense. And by then, would there be any intrigue in a film that's been in purgatory for years? Who knows.

As if there is ever any other motivation.

I'm starting to think they're going to delay it until late 2022 just for the 60 year anniversary. Especially with the suspected Dr. No callbacks in the movie.

Just release it! This is getting ridiculous.
  • matt_u wrote: »

How about that? 1/3 of F9 gross came from China.

MI6 HQ are drama queens ... as you were.
    matt_u wrote: »

How about that? 1/3 of F9 gross came from China.

MI6 HQ are drama queens ... as you were.

The following post I said it’s perfectly normal that NTTD doesn’t already have a Chinese release date.

Try again, 🤡.
    ‘Venom: Let There Be Carnage’ Has Been Delayed Again

As I mentioned earlier, it truly is a fairly inhospitable time to be a blockbuster at the box office. We have had a string of flops recently. Having noticed the change in the air, Sony have moved Venom 2 to October 15 in the USA (this is one week after NTTD's scheduled release). If MGM are adamant to keep their date, they might consider moving NTTD up a week (or two) in the US and perhaps even the UK as September is looking sparse now.

However, given the current landscape and that the Bond films skew older, Bond may struggle to scrap together $100m in the USA. Remember, when Craig ushered in the 'young, cool, edgy' reboot nearly 15 years ago! I was 15 at the time and now I'm 30...So that gives you an idea of the audience this time out. That isn't to say Bond hasn't gained more fans and audience over the years, but there is reason to be anxious about releasing this film in a post-Covid world at any time in 2021 or 2022.

There have been a zillion thinkpieces why The Suicide Squad underperformed. The NTTD articles practically write themselves: (i) Bond is a stale brand, (ii) Younger auds don't want to watch middle-aged white men save the world, (iii) Craig outstayed his welcome, (vi) The film couldn't keep pace with Mission Impossible and Marvel, (v) older audiences who would see the film avoided due to Delta variant, etc....

We really really really want to avoid those articles. We want the headlines to say that 'Bond has saves box-office.'

However, as I've said....you have to release the film now. Even if it underperforms, it just has to come out. However, currently Free Guy is estimated to gross $18m this weekend (disaster) and I can't see Shang-Chi making $40m opening weekend (bigger disaster). If NTTD makes anything $50m+ it be a success. But still, it's a pretty crummy number....I'm praying they secure a China release date this month.

Bond really needs Europe (especially England, France and Germany) and Asia. How are those markets for people living in those areas?

2021-movie-release-dates-second-half.jpg?q=50&fit=contain&w=943&h=500&dpr=1.5
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    (i) Bond is a stale brand, (ii) Younger auds don't want to watch middle-aged white men save the world, (iii) Craig outstayed his welcome, (vi) The film couldn't keep pace with Mission Impossible and Marvel, (v) older audiences who would see the film avoided due to Delta variant, etc....

I really hate to jump on this bandwagon but that's the kind of vibes I'm getting. CR was revolutionary, and from the looks of things, NTTD shakes things up, but more delays means the themes will be very old news. Hopefully they pulled it off and good word of mouth boosts BO numbers

• w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    And there's no guarantee next year will be any better so they're gonna have to bite the bullet
    There have been a zillion thinkpieces why The Suicide Squad underperformed. The NTTD articles practically write themselves: (i) Bond is a stale brand, (ii) Younger auds don't want to watch middle-aged white men save the world, (iii) Craig outstayed his welcome, (vi) The film couldn't keep pace with Mission Impossible and Marvel, (v) older audiences who would see the film avoided due to Delta variant, etc....

We really really really want to avoid those articles. We want the headlines to say that 'Bond has saves box-office.'

However, as I've said....you have to release the film now. Even if it underperforms, it just has to come out. However, currently Free Guy is estimated to gross $18m this weekend (disaster) and I can't see Shang-Chi making $40m opening weekend (bigger disaster). If NTTD makes anything $50m+ it be a success. But still, it's a pretty crummy number....I'm praying they secure a China release date this month.

The one thing, that counts, is: Is NTTD a really good movie?

When you look at the IMdB-ratings of all the movies, that had a theatrical release during the pandemic, there is NOT ONE movie, that had a 7.5 or better rating on IMdB. So THE ONE movie, that catches everyone is missing. Lots of mediocre movies came out.

The only movies with a really good rating are "Demon Slayer" (8.3/foreign language) and "The Father" (8.3/the Anthony Hopkins-Oscar-winning movie).

In 2019 you had "Avengers: Endgame" (8.4), Toy Story 4 (7.7.), Spider-Man: Far From Home (7.5), Joker (8.4), Knives Out (7.9), 1917 (8.3), Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (7.6), Ford vs. Ferrari (8.1) and many more.

Where are all those high-rated movies in 2020 and 2021?

I assume, that the studios hold them back, and only release solala-movies, because they don't want the really good ones to tank at the box office.

But maybe NTTD will be the first big, really good movie for 2 years?
    Bond really needs Europe (especially England, France and Germany) and Asia. How are those markets for people living in those areas?

Here in Germany it will become expensive for non-vaccinated-people to go to the movies from October on.

Of course when entering the theatre everyone has to prove, that he or she is vaccinated, healed or tested negative. That was always the case. But from October on un-vaccinated people have to pay for their tests themselves. In some german states they only accept PCR-tests, that cost about $50. So if someone who is not vaccinated wants to see NTTD, they have to pay $50 in addition to the cinema ticket.

You see: that will bring the box office down by at least one third, I think.

And then you have distance seating in many states aswell, so that only 1/3 to 1/2 of the auditorium can be filled.

So it's impossible to get the numbers, that "Skyfall" or "Spectre" made in Germany. Both made almost $100 million each, which is huge - considering, that Germany has only 1/4 of the US-population. So $100 million in Germany is like $400 million in the US.

But let's see what happens.
    EoN must find a way to hype general audiences again. Everybody must know there’s a new cool Bond movie coming out. It’s very hard but they need that kind of buzz SF had in order to save this film. And the sad truth is, even if they succeed and people will love it, they won’t be able to break even.
    Did anyone notice that to watch Disney's Jungle Cruise, one must not only subscribe to Disney +, but pay $30.00 ? Of course, that's only for people who actually pay, and don't manage to watch it without paying. (Yes, another part of why and how some younger folks prefer to watch at home on a big flat screen rather than go to a theater, and at home they can pause, re-watch, eat, drink, smoke, etc.) Regardless of the pandemic, getting home viewers may already have become more and more of a concern. If you are used to paying for just two people then $30 is expensive in comparison. For more than two people it can be a lower price than at the theater, but: All the conveniences of home (food, etc.) and Perceptions. I think many people don't do a price comparison and just figure that $30 is a LOT to watch it at home. With Bond, will people now have to add yet ANOTHER streaming service, and not Netflix or Amazon or even HBO Max, which many folks already have ? Adding yet another streaming service, and then having to pay what will strike many as a stiff price, won't help. They'll wait until it comes out in broader home release. My point is this: it not only Cinema attendance which presents a challenge, but getting folks to pay up what is needed to watch it at home.
    EoN must find a way to hype general audiences again. Everybody must know there’s a new cool Bond movie coming out. It’s very hard but they need that kind of buzz SF had in order to save this film. And the sad truth is, even if they succeed and people will love it, they won’t be able to break even.

Here's how you get buzz, the same way Skyfall did.

Make a good movie!

Thankfully they did that.
    That’s not entirely correct. I remember everyone was obsessed with Bond before the actual film came out. The media were obsessed with 007. Newspapers filled with JB stuff. TV channels showing Bond films all day. The boost from the British Olympics. SF had a hell of a buzz even before the film actually came out and proved to be actually good.
    That’s not entirely correct. I remember everyone was obsessed with Bond before the actual film came out. The media were obsessed with 007. Newspapers filled with JB stuff. TV channels showing Bond films all day. The boost from the British Olympics. SF had a hell of a buzz even before the film actually came out and proved to be actually good.

But if it sucked, it wouldn't have had the legs — and all that buzz would've been worth nothing.

But if it sucked, it wouldn't have had the legs — and all that buzz would've been worth nothing.

Correct.
    Buzz only helps on the first weekend.
    Later on a movie needs legs, and that's only possible with good word-of-mouth,
    and people who go and see the movie again and again.
    Even fans would not do that, if the movie sucked.
    Look, there's really only one film series with Buzz....Toy Story...
    Since62 wrote: »
    Look, there's really only one film series with Buzz....Toy Story...

Let's hope, that the NTTD box office will go "to infinity and beyond". ;-)
    Touche ! Or, as some of us like to say, "Touchy, touchy !"
    Jan1985 wrote: »

Buzz only helps on the first weekend.
    Later on a movie needs legs, and that's only possible with good word-of-mouth,
    and people who go and see the movie again and again.

It’s no rocket science: if they want to really achieve something they desperately need an incredibly good opening weekend. Based on the past experience of previously released blockbusters throughout this year, 40% of NTTD’s overall gross will likely come from the first weekend.

If the film is indeed very good and people will love it, that would be a plus and will help the film making more money. But without a massive opening weekend, it’s gonna be a disaster and that is not about the film itself but about generating hype around it.

The notion of general audiences going to see a movie again and again throughout a pandemic doesn’t make sense to me.

Anyway my point is: they need both. They need the right hype to get people excited and then they need the film to be loved in order to be the first pandemic release without a huge 2nd weekend drop.
  • Post week 1 excitement due to younger people attending, a film needs older people to fill seats in week 2 and beyond and right now many older people aren't too keen on attending, particularly for a 163 minute movie in non social distanced theatres.
  • BMB007 wrote: »

Easy to say if it's not your money being flushed down the toilet.
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 500
    Yeah, I don't care about corporations.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome

People actually work for those hated corporations. I'm all for fair taxes and all, but...
    JamesCraig wrote: »

People actually work for those hated corporations. I'm all for fair taxes and all, but...

Comcast (Universal) or MGM (soon to be Amazon) is not going to shut down or lay people off if NTTD doesn't make a gazillion dollars.
    Post week 1 excitement due to younger people attending, a film needs older people to fill seats in week 2 and beyond and right now many older people aren't too keen on attending, particularly for a 163 minute movie in non social distanced theatres.

But older people are vaccinated even more than young people. So why should they be more afraid?