Jan1985 wrote: »
    Bentley007 wrote: »
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    ertert wrote: »
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    F9 has passed 600 million worldwide which is good news and at least they can see a path for NTTD…what exactly is UK’s situation as far a closures or restrictions?

That’s actually bad news as that’s a severe underperformance compared to the last few entries in that series ( Both F7 and F8 crossed the billion dollar mark worldwide with ease ).

NTTD will be lucky to make the amount F9 has if things go tits up in the next few months.And they certainly won’t be happy with that kind of return.

True, but it seems like they are all systems go at this point with that latest TV spot which would have cost a lot of money to show during the olympics. I’d say short of sudden business closures in Europe and elsewhere they are proceeding.

True.But they were “ all systems go “ with that second trailer and new marketing nearly a year ago and we all know what happened next...

They would have had their eye close on F9 and still decided to release this trailed and put it all over social media. There is a vaccine now, the world is not out of the woods yet but in a much better place than one year ago. Trust me I'm still extremely skeptical but this latest TV spot gives me some cautious optimism.
    matt_u wrote: »
    Daniel’s exit after 15 years without some kind of public celebration would be just depressing.

More important things going on in the world right now than massaging Craig’s ego with a big public event.The guy got paid a kings ransom for the flick so don’t feel bad for the guy.

Getting the movie out there for people to see ( safely ) is the priority.

It's not about Craig, it's about Bond.

Bond deserves a traditional big red carpet premiere.

I dont think anyone wants to be in a position where we are talking about staggered release strategies and no red carpet premiere but we are living through a pandemic which has caused many things to change. My worry is with another delay does No Time To Die feel dated when it is released. I also worry that restrictions and changes in public health orders will be the norm for the next few years so further delays may not have the desired outcome. I hope that if it is at all feasible to make some money they release in September and make a major push for at home sales and streaming service rights for a christmas season release.

I didn't say, that they should postpone it again.
    They should do a red carpet premiere in London at the end of September.
    It will be possible, because it's already possible in England to stage events like that.
    Last weekend they had a music festival with tens of thousands of people. Tom Jones and others performed.

Okay I misinterpreted your comment thought that you were saying that if they can't do it the big event way that they should delay. I apologize. I am at the point where I feel that the film needs to be released before it gets stale to the general audience. Obviously the bond fans will see the movie even if it takes 10 years but casual audiences may write off a movie that has been on the shelf for 2 or more years
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Really, I think we’ll be okay without a big red carpet premiere.
    Really, I think we’ll be okay without a big red carpet premiere.

But will Eon?
    Sure, they have a future ahead of them.
    No cause for concern but here in the U.S, the CDC today reversed their position regarding masks and are now recommending vaccinated folks wear a mask indoors in more affected areas. The president released a statement supporting this but explaining that shutdowns are not in consideration due to us being in a very different place now than we were in 2020.

No cause for concern but here in the U.S, the CDC today reversed their position regarding masks and are now recommending vaccinated folks wear a mask indoors in more affected areas. The president released a statement supporting this but explaining that shutdowns are not in consideration due to us being in a very different place now than we were in 2020.

In the UK cases are falling every day.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    This is great news.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    here in California, the Delta news is terrible; if this continues, I see them pulling the plug. Again.
    edited July 2021 Posts: 4,343
    The Delta is gonna really hurt NTTD, since it looks they’re gonna release it at all costs.
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 490
    here in California, the Delta news is terrible; if this continues, I see them pulling the plug. Again.

Yeah things have dramatically escalated in the last few days, with the White House signaling they’re open to more lockdowns. Nothing would surprise me at this point. The next month is gonna be pretty bad and I’m concerned it will spook Eon, even if it passes fairly quickly like happened elsewhere with the Delta wave.

But who knows maybe they are counting on this being more under control by October so they’re staying the course.

One to keep an eye on is Marvel’s Shang Chi which has a Los Angeles premiere on August 16 and then theatrical release 9/3.
    As for now this early October release is a HUGE gamble, box-office wise.
    matt_u wrote: »
    As for now this early October release is a HUGE gamble, box-office wise.

Yeah .Bracing myself for an announcement in the next 1-2 weeks.
    I guess the question is whether it is just the US facing the prospect of more cinema closures over Delta, plus remember that it is on a state by state level there...

If the UK (most importantly - and it is really worth noting just how different the reaction to Delta is in the States vs. over here) and Europe are still open then we'll be OK I think.
    antovolk wrote: »
    I guess the question is whether it is just the US facing the prospect of more cinema closures over Delta, plus remember that it is on a state by state level there...

If the UK (most importantly - and it is really worth noting just how different the reaction to Delta is in the States vs. over here) and Europe are still open then we'll be OK I think.

Zero chance of a simultaneous nation-wide lockdown in the states. That just isn’t how it works here. It’s up to the states. I could see California and maybe New York implementing more closures but people would just flock to cinemas in other nearby states.

Maybe I’m being too alarmist.
    The Delta variant has proved to be no worse than any other here in the UK. The vaccine is just as effective against it. Of course many Americans still have not taken up the vaccine yet
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    The Delta variant has proved to be no worse than any other here in the UK. The vaccine is just as effective against it. Of course many Americans still have not taken up the vaccine yet

It’s getting pretty bad here in the states due to the high numbers of unvaccinated. Luckily my area is highly vaxxed so I don’t feel too uncomfortable in my daily life. Ironically, for strictly tribal/political reasons, the states most likely to lockdown here are the ones with he highest % vaccinated .

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    cooperman2 wrote: »

It’s getting pretty bad here in the states due to the high numbers of unvaccinated. Luckily my area is highly vaxxed so I don’t feel too uncomfortable in my daily life. Ironically, for strictly tribal/political reasons, the states most likely to lockdown here are the ones with he highest % vaccinated .

Not only the unvaccinated but vaccinated as well. I know many who's vaccinated and are still testing positive. Personally, I think it had swept through my house before it was even a thing.
    My roommate knows two people who caught it and they were both vaccinated.
  • But... The vaccine has nothing to do with preventing getting Covid, it just helps to fight it so you don't end up in hospital.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    But... The vaccine has nothing to do with preventing getting Covid, it just helps to fight it so you don't end up in hospital.

This is the metric they use when considering lockdowns though so it is relevant. Increased vaccinations means likely less hospitalization.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    The vaccine makes the coronavirus more like the flu for the vaccinated.

Those who choose not to vaccinate are gambling with hospitalization or death.
    Yeah the cases metric is not so important now as it’s not translating into deaths. Can only speak for the UK but I am still seeing high abidance of mask wearing in shops and leaving gaps in queues. Simple behavoir that make a difference while we get back to getting back
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    NTTD still scheduled for Oct in Japan for cinema release and fully vaccinated, double-masked me will be there! Could not be happier about that. So glad EON held out for a cinema release.
  • But... The vaccine has nothing to do with preventing getting Covid, it just helps to fight it so you don't end up in hospital.

But ... do we close society because people get flu, do we close roads because people can end up in road accidents ... the vaccine prevents serious illness and that is all that really counts. If people aren't getting seriously ill there is no need to shut down society.
  • I think I jumped in without realizing where the current conversation was. I'm double vaxxed and I think there should be no restrictions in place l, in my province the restrictions were lifted early July. No more masks.
    Indeed, people are getting seriously ill, some for months on end, and others are dying. My home state in the USA presently is the epicenter, and just now set its own record for the highest number of new cases since this pandemic began, and with -- particularly for just one state -- and with 409 deaths just this past week (for a statewide total since March 2020's officially recognized commencement of over 39,000). People don't put a "-duh" at the end of the state's name for no reason.
    People who have been vaccinated generally get past it in short order. Those who chose against (and not by reason of health issues making them inappropriate candidates for it) are getting worse cases, and some are dying. People may well be tired of it all, but the virus doesn't care whether its host feels that way. It certainly was different, but simply in terms of a bug making its way around, one may note the pandemic of 1918 lasted two years. We're a year and four months in on this one.
    So...do I reeeeaaaally feel, after getting this far successfully avoiding it, like getting into a large, closed room with a bunch of strangers, of whose conditions and practices I know nothing ? One gets this far, why screw it up now ?
    On the other hand -- no, I don't want NTTD to open on home video at the same time as theaters. I want it to do very well, popularly, critically and financially ! I do think, though, that Sales tracking should be changed so as to include home video as well as theatrical results, at least for the initial ## days/weeks/months. Until the recent surge here, I'd have felt much better about getting into an IMAX theater, were the folks spread out and with its wonderfully high ceiling. Now ? Not so much. Perhaps by the time of release we'll be past it. Reportedly, more folks who had not been vaccinated seem to be aware of the numbers and are seeking out vaccinations. For the sake of people already patients, and with a hope to avoid more deaths from it, regardless of the film, I sure hope we get past the "hump" soon.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    But... The vaccine has nothing to do with preventing getting Covid, it just helps to fight it so you don't end up in hospital.

But ... do we close society because people get flu, do we close roads because people can end up in road accidents ... the vaccine prevents serious illness and that is all that really counts. If people aren't getting seriously ill there is no need to shut down society.

Apples and oranges comparison. The flu and car accidents are not current pandemics. If it gets bad enough (i.e. people continue to resist taking vaccines so that new, more virulent strains spread), then there will have to be lockdowns, again.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I'm fortunate to be fully vaccinated now and will be watching NTTD in a rather spacious cinema, double masked (don't mind at all); no food or drink, which is my usual habit anyway. I am so VERY glad this is a theatrical release only. Makes me happy to see it on the big screen and also to know box office is from cinemas. Get it in other ways later, but not at the initial release.
    I’m beyond happy with the idea of finally seeing it but I’m also sad this fourth wave will likely jeopardize its box office run. After a 1.5 year delay it’s a real shame.
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 1,394
    I feel sorry for Australian Bond fans..

And remember folks, it’s still a few months away,things could go pear shaped and they will have to delay NTTD again.