Ian’s real inspiration for James Bond

chuckxchuckx Virginia
edited October 2021 in General Discussion Posts: 8
delete

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited September 2020 Posts: 12,914
    Posting the New Yorker article would be a nice tribute, if someone has access to it. I found this one, there may be another you're referring to.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1962/04/21/bonds-creator

It wouldn't be out of line to remember your James and the MANY suggested real life influences on Fleming for creating his Bond character here, @chuckx. Richard included.

41UYgRWwJnL._AC_UY218_ML2_.jpg

• chuckxchuckx Virginia
    edited October 2021 Posts: 8
    delete
  • chuckxchuckx Virginia
    delete
  • chuckxchuckx Virginia
    delete
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 1,469
    chuckx, really cool to read about your great uncle, his connection with Fleming, and the things you mention that your great uncle did! Perhaps you should see if you can add his name to the Wikipedia page, Inspirations for James Bond. Several are already on there, including Conrad O’Brien-ffrench, who I met at least once in the 1980s through friends near Denver Colorado, near where he lived. At that time he was more noted for being an artist, but he'd been a British Secret Intelligence Officer, mountaineer and skier.

Based on your post, I went to the web and learned that, about Fleming's trip to Washington D.C. in 1941, it was because the U.S. and Great Britain agreed to share intelligence regarding the WW2 threat. Winston Churchill had sent Fleming and Admiral Godfrey. They met with the head of the secret British spy organization in the U.S. and held high-level talks with American officials. They also met with FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover. Fleming also apparently wrote two important papers on how to create America’s new intelligence agency.
  • chuckxchuckx Virginia
    delete
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Hi, @chuckx

Any pictures of your great uncle with Fleming? Any letter that you can share?
  • chuckxchuckx Virginia
    delete
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Quite unique life! You have a book to write ;)
  • chuckxchuckx Virginia
    delete
  • chuckxchuckx Virginia
    delete