Badlands (Predator 6) and the Predator franchise.

Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
edited February 9 in General Movies & TV Posts: 23,102
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ign.com/articles/new-predator-movie-skull-plot-details-origin-story-featuring-female-hero?amp=1

New details have been revealed for Dan Trachtenberg's upcoming Predator movie, as the final leg of production gets underway.

During a recent interview with Collider, producers John Davis and John Fox revealed the title of the new Predator movie is Skull and that it is "probably three-quarters of the way through" production. They also shared that Trachtenberg's film will be a female-fronted origin story tracing the Predator's first journey to Earth.

"It goes back to what made the original Predator movie work," Davis said of Predator 5, which he likened to the Leonardo DiCaprio-starring film The Revenant. "It's the ingenuity of a human being who won't give up, who's able to observe and interpret, basically being able to beat a stronger, more powerful, well-armed force."...

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2021 Posts: 14,861
    It’s hard not to lose interest in all of these attempts to make new Predator films.
    Strange not to say who’s in it if they’ve been shooting it for a while? Unknowns?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I liked 10 Cloverfield Lane directed by Trachtenberg, I will give SKULL a chance.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    It'll probably be better than whatever the last film was attempting to be but still, I can't muster up much excitement for this concept.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    "It goes back to what made the original Predator movie work," Davis said of Predator 5, which he likened to the Leonardo DiCaprio-starring film The Revenant. "It's the ingenuity of a human being who won't give up, who's able to observe and interpret, basically being able to beat a stronger, more powerful, well-armed force."...

She wins in the end then? :)
    Even the Bond film producers don't give away that 007 beats the baddie in their synopses, and he wins every time! :D
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Quite honestly, I think they should give the AvP series another go, not as a direct sequel to AvP and Requiem, mind, but with a new angle. Somehow I'm worried that the predator, by himself, may have a hard time keeping a film interesting. That said, I love the first film and, yes, Predators, which I find underrated as a cool action flick. And I don't even hate Predator 2 or The Predator as much as many people seem to.
    I love Predator 2. It's utter nonsense but it's very enjoyable.

It's especially got an awesome score by Alan Silvestri. And it's got Gary Busey in it, which is always a good thing.

Always.
    A Predator film with a primarily female cast and a PG rating.

Yeah I’m sure that’s going to go down well with the fans..
    edited July 2021 Posts: 23,448
    AstonLotus wrote: »

Now I picture Alicia's Lara Croft opposite this badass predator. Yeah, I'm game alright. ;-)

Look, we were hit hard with testosterone and steroids in the first and third film, and to some degree in the second film as well. They threw Olivia Munn -- whom I'm particularly fond of -- in an almost all-male cast in the fourth one. We can't exactly complain about the male presence in this series, can we? ;-) Surely it's okay for them to shift gender for once.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

It's especially got an awesome score by Alan Silvestri. And it's got Gary Busey in it, which is always a good thing.

Always.

That score is masterful. One of Silvestri's best. I listen to it regularly. I think I might even play it more than the original.... 8->

And yes, all hail Gary Busey!
    Hmm removing the character title to be edgy where have I heard this before
    That is also an origin story

Also a nearly all female cast of a classic 80’s series

Are we sure the scripts of Prometheus and Ghostbusters 2016 weren’t just thrown in a blender and given to Dan to film?

I am seeing more Red alarms with this film then almost any other film
  • I liked 10 Cloverfield Lane directed by Trachtenberg, I will give SKULL a chance.

Didn't realize this was the same director as 10 Cloverfield Lane. 10 Cloverfield Lane was fantastic. This pumps me even more for the next Predator.

Always.

That score is masterful. One of Silvestri's best. I listen to it regularly. I think I might even play it more than the original.... 8->

And yes, all hail Gary Busey!

I'm loving the Silvestri love! Predator 2 did have a killer score, and I too think the movie is more enjoyable than some give it credit for. It was more than a bit silly having Danny Glover's haggard LA cop successfully go toe-to-toe with the same species that gave Schwarzenegger in his prime a run for his money (love Glover's character in this, but really?)—but what a supporting cast (Gary Busey, Bill Paxton, Rubén Blades, Robert Davi, Adam Baldwin) and what fun and imaginative go-for-broke action sequences.

Any chance you think they might be able to get Silvestri back for this one?
    AstonLotus wrote: »

Now I picture Alicia's Lara Croft opposite this badass predator. Yeah, I'm game alright. ;-)

Look, we were hit hard with testosterone and steroids in the first and third film, and to some degree in the second film as well. They threw Olivia Munn -- whom I'm particularly fond of -- in an almost all-male cast in the fourth one. We can't exactly complain about the male presence in this series, can we? ;-) Surely it's okay for them to shift gender for once.

While the original Predator is known for having more testosterone than most reels of celluloid could safely handle, there's no reason to decry a female-led Predator film. The Predator films have always featured strong female characters, and the novel spinoffs are already way ahead of this new film in that regard.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Hmm removing the character title to be edgy where have I heard this before
    That is also an origin story

Also a nearly all female cast of a classic 80’s series

Are we sure the scripts of Prometheus and Ghostbusters 2016 weren’t just thrown in a blender and given to Dan to film?

I am seeing more Red alarms with this film then almost any other film

Ghostbusters? There’s nothing here to suggest it’s a comedy.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    What is it with some guys being scared of women?

It worked great for the ALIEN films.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

This has been my Mobile Phone Ringtone for years, the Predator score is one of my favourite's. Silvestri's score is amazing.

---

@Some_Kind_Of_Hero I thought that 10 Cloverfield Lane had great tension and atmosphere with some good character work.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

No, that was a lady being scared of some aliens.

:)
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Alan Silvestri's Predator main theme is sinister in a delicious way. I've always loved it. His predator scores are simply electrifying.

After the last Predator film, I'm not sure I'm super-excited for this one. But I'll give it a chance still.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Part of what made the last film a major disappointment was that it was by Shane Black, a filmmaker who had a pretty strong history with action films. I don't know what the hell he was thinking with THE PREDATOR.

Maybe he should get back on cocaine.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Part of what made the last film a major disappointment was that it was by Shane Black, a filmmaker who had a pretty strong history with action films. I don't know what the hell he was thinking with THE PREDATOR.

Yeah it was sort of strangely unfocussed. It entertained me well enough though, even if I can't remember much of it now.
    I remember mostly Boyd Holbrook having a nice jacket in it :) Which I think Dan Craig nicked for NTTD!
    edited July 2021 Posts: 4,247

Exactly. I was really looking forward to it, based on Shane Black's action prowess. I was shocked to see it looking like a B -movie most of the time.
    I'm loving the Silvestri love! Predator 2 did have a killer score, and I too think the movie is more enjoyable than some give it credit for. It was more than a bit silly having Danny Glover's haggard LA cop successfully go toe-to-toe with the same species that gave Schwarzenegger in his prime a run for his money (love Glover's character in this, but really?)—but what a supporting cast (Gary Busey, Bill Paxton, Rubén Blades, Robert Davi, Adam Baldwin) and what fun and imaginative go-for-broke action sequences.

Any chance you think they might be able to get Silvestri back for this one?

Getting Silvestri back would be a masterstroke, indeed. I don't know if there is a chance of that, though. I get the impression that he has moved past the series now. I think he was asked back for Predators and turned it down.

Re: Predator 2, I always get a kick out of the fact that the final 40 minutes are essentially just one long chase sequence.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes I imagine Silvestri doesn't want to do it, especially as they did a soundalike score for Predators. It's not like he's doing highbrow stuff now: I guess he just doesn't want to go back to that style he did 30 years ago- he probably also couldn't. John Barry couldn't/didn't want to do his 60s Bond style only 20 years later.
    Although didn't he do some new material for the Back To The Future musical a couple of years back? I've not heard it if he did, no idea if it fits in; and BTTF isn't on quite the same high energy level as Predator.
    I have the Predator Trilogy Box Set (all solid films, the original is a classic), AVP 2 Movie Pack and Predator Ultimate Edition all on Blu-ray.

I am due a rewatch of the films, I have never been compelled to buy The Predator, I may if I see cheap for completionist reasons, the film is garbage.
    Sometimes I feel Bruce Willis would have suited Predator 2 more. Since he's good at frenetic action scenes.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I quite like that Danny Glover is playing both Lethal Weapon characters at the same time though: he's simultaneously 'too old for this shit' and the crazy live wire unpredictable maverick :D
    I like him in it. Bruce would have been good but maybe a bit close to to his McClane character?
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Sometimes I feel Bruce Willis would have suited Predator 2 more. Since he's good at frenetic action scenes.

Not a bad shout, coincidentally I am watching Die Hard with a Vengeance right now, cracking film Bruce Willis is hilarious great dialogue. Of course its John Mctiernan (Predator) directing.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    One thing I only learnt recently which shocked me: Arnie's character in the first movie has the macho name.... Alan.

:))
    edited July 2021 Posts: 4,247
    mtm wrote: »
    I quite like that Danny Glover is playing both Lethal Weapon characters at the same time though: he's simultaneously 'too old for this shit' and the crazy live wire unpredictable maverick :D
    I like him in it. Bruce would have been good but maybe a bit close to to his McClane character?

Yeah, I know what you mean about Danny Glover. But I can envisage Willis in it though.

Not a bad shout, coincidentally I am watching Die Hard with a Vengeance right now, cracking film Bruce Willis is hilarious great dialogue. Of course its John Mctiernan (Predator) directing.

Yeah. Action, combined with hilarious dialogue is what Willis is so good at. And John McTiernan is one of Hollywood's early action directors that understands the genre a lot.
    mtm wrote: »
    One thing I only learnt recently which shocked me: Arnie's character in the first movie has the macho name.... Alan.

:))

Lol. But DUTCH was the dominant name though.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Lol. But DUTCH was the dominant name though.

I bet Alan begged them for weeks to call him Dutch. Because it sounds a bit like 'butch' :)

Agreed look i want well written characters and a strong plot for a predator fim