Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    mtm wrote: »
    Interesting, so clearly Ms Broccoli considered it! :)

https://www.gamesradar.com/no-time-to-die-daniel-craig-interview-james-bond-25/
    “Two years ago I took Barbara to my favourite Japanese restaurant in New York,” says Fukunaga who, coincidentally, is regaling TF over coffee in New York. Alas, he won’t reveal his culinary hotspot, lest TF attempt to crash his dinner. “I tried to wine and dine her. At that point Daniel said he wasn’t doing another one, so we spit-balled all the potential new Bonds – that was exciting.

Ah, to be a fly on the wall…

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    QBranch wrote: »
    I think I just heard on the radio, that apparently DC has revealed discussions are underway on who will be the next 007.

Maybe EON and co, are planning to follow NTTD in a much shorter time frame than usual?
    Here's hoping.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Benny wrote: »
    I think I just heard on the radio, that apparently DC has revealed discussions are underway on who will be the next 007.

Maybe EON and co, are planning to follow NTTD in a much shorter time frame than usual?
    Here's hoping.

Yes, and all the delays on NTTD's release over the last two years may have reinforced the need to really hit the ground running with the next Bond actor and film.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »

Here's hoping.

Yes, and all the delays on NTTD's release over the last two years may have reinforced the need to really hit the ground running with the next Bond actor and film.

yeah next year give us the annoucment Hardy is the new bond... ok i am dreaming but still ;)
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    talos7 wrote: »
    Interesting, so clearly Ms Broccoli considered it! :)

https://www.gamesradar.com/no-time-to-die-daniel-craig-interview-james-bond-25/
    “Two years ago I took Barbara to my favourite Japanese restaurant in New York,” says Fukunaga who, coincidentally, is regaling TF over coffee in New York. Alas, he won’t reveal his culinary hotspot, lest TF attempt to crash his dinner. “I tried to wine and dine her. At that point Daniel said he wasn’t doing another one, so we spit-balled all the potential new Bonds – that was exciting.

Ah, to be a fly on the wall…

It would probably the same stuff you get in this thread (only with much more expensive wine in the mix):

"You can't really mean him - he's too short!"

"Isn't he a bit too TV?"

"It's a shame he's contracted to Marvel, he'd have been great."

"If only he was five years younger."

Plus probably a few ideas that would horrify us:

"I love the codename idea!"

"007's getting stale... why don't we make him a cyborg with super-strength?"

His voice 😍😍😍

His voice 😍😍😍

Does him getting the lead in the Saint improve or diminish his chances of being the next 007?
    Wait - WHAT ? Yes, I think if he's going to be the Saint then he'd be out of the running for Bond. That last iteration of the Saint was just offal...and I mean that, not only "awful", but "offal." Hope they make a top effort, well-funded, with this one.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    His voice 😍😍😍

Does him getting the lead in the Saint improve or diminish his chances of being the next 007?

Well it hasn't always ruled people out of playing Bond! :)
    Indeed, but for Roger Moore a significant amount of time had passed since he portrayed the Saint, and he also had taken another role -- in The Persuaders -- which preceded his being signed to portray James Bond.
  • His voice 😍😍😍

The guy does sound suave. If he can throw a punch, he’s got my vote.
    His voice 😍😍😍

Well it hasn't always ruled people out of playing Bond! :)

LOL, I was thinking just the same thing.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Since62 wrote: »
    Indeed, but for Roger Moore a significant amount of time had passed since he portrayed the Saint, and he also had taken another role -- in The Persuaders -- which preceded his being signed to portray James Bond.

It was only four years. Which may be a shorter gap than to the next Bond film! :)

It was only four years. Which may be a shorter gap than to the next Bond film! :)

That was then though. And it was Roger Moore: his fame as a TV star was needed as Connery was casting a very large shadow.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ludovico wrote: »

That was then though.

And this is now: anything could happen.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    His voice 😍😍😍

Another boyband type proposition by our ever precious pierce2daniel. No thanks.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Whilst we don't always agree on who should be the 'new' Bond. And likely never will.
    I don't think your post is fair or appropriate @JeremyBondon
    @Pierce2Daniel is free to comment, just like anyone else.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    His voice 😍😍😍

Every time this fella gets mentioned, I think of rom-coms or period dramas, I can't picture him being a ruthless dangerous assassin with a licence to kill. Admittedly Page isn't the only candidate I could say that about
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    His voice 😍😍😍

Every time this fella gets mentioned, I think of rom-coms or period dramas, I can't picture him being a ruthless dangerous assassin with a licence to kill. Admittedly Page isn't the only candidate I could say that about

I think he looks like a nice guy who would be a substitute elementary school teacher, one that the kids wish would replace their own teacher.
    One -- if you want to know how a particular actor would be received, ask someone who'd care about their attractiveness in a knowing way. A lady or a gent so inclined.
    For those still advocating for the terrific Tom Hardy to portray Bond, a recent article discusses an aspect that I -- though I appreciate his films greatly -- noted long ago: his height. Hardy, at 5'9" tall, wore boots with 3 inch heels to try to match him up better with Christian Bale, who is 6 feet tall. Morgan Freeman, also in The Dark Knight Rises, is over 6' tall.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited August 2021 Posts: 12,459
    Coming here, first time since 2019 for me, to see what new candidates there are. So basically ... none. Certainly none mentioned in last few pages appeal to me at all. Barbara has surely been thinking of this, though, for a couple of years. Even talked with Cary about potential next Bond. She adores Craig's Bond (rightly, in my opinion) but hey, she can multi-task. No way she has not given this some thought already. I'll have to look over some current actors to see if anybody jumps out at me as potential Bond. Back later ... B-)
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 15,785
    Seems every day on social media sites like Facebook we see names like Rene Jean Page, John Boyega, Tom Hardy, Peter Frampton, etc touted as Craig's replacement.

This is usually followed by comments such as :

I would NEVER under any circumstances watch a James Bond movie. However if William Shatner were cast as 007, I'd be first in line.

Obviously I'm using Shatner and Frampton as over the top exaggerations but it seems to me the general public who aren't Bond fans will accept anyone who happens to be popular at the moment.
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 9,730
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Seems every day on social media sights like Facebook we see names like Rene Jean Page, John Boyega, Tom Hardy, Peter Frampton, etc touted as Craig's replacement.

I would NEVER under any circumstances watch a James Bond movie. However if William Shatner were cast as 007, I'd be first in line.

Obviously I'm using Shatner and Frampton as over the top exaggerations but it seems to me the general public who aren't Bond fans will accept anyone who happens to be popular at the moment.

Well Frampton as 007 can help Show Me The Way to be more Bond like...

I'll be here all week
    Seems every day on social media sights like Facebook we see names like Rene Jean Page, John Boyega, Tom Hardy, Peter Frampton, etc touted as Craig's replacement.

Well, it makes sense: it's generally someone who has no interest in/has an active dislike for the franchise and the type of people or things it traditionally entails, but is very interested in a particular actor and feel the addition of that actor would change the property into something they might find worth watching.

It's like someone saying they're an atheist and would never watch a film about the life of Jesus, but might actually be enthusiastic about it if Jesus was played by Florence Pugh in a loincloth. It makes sense, but of course you don't really want to change the property to target that person, because that person needs the property to be something actively different to what it is, and different to what the long-term fans want.

For what it's worth I don't think most of the people who say things like that are actually actively lobbying for that change to happen, they're just commenting on how much they love that particular actor.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Well that's what movie stars are for: to bring an audience with them to a film.

If Sean Connery was still alive, there'd still be people advocating for his return as 007.
    Risico007 wrote: »

Well Frampton as 007 can help Show Me The Way to be more Bond like...

I'll be here all week

Here's what he might look like as Bond in an origin story...........

c612894cc734c1ceec5674e39f4c7953.jpg

Anybody mentioned Jordan Patrick Smith? Don't know much about him but from wgat I saw in Lovecraft County (haven't seen the whole series yet) he was capable.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited August 2021 Posts: 17,727
    Seems every day on social media sites like Facebook we see names like Rene Jean Page, John Boyega, Tom Hardy, Peter Frampton, etc touted as Craig's replacement.

Well I've heard William Shatner called "a portly James Bond" in his portrayal of Captain James T. Kirk in Star Trek: The Original Series so I suppose he's got that going for him. ;)
  • Goldeneye1994Goldeneye1994 Milford, Michigan
    With The Suicide Squad coming out this weekend how long do you think it will take for the Idris Elba Bond rumors to start again?