'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

I am waiting for my Box set of your favourite Doctor @MajorDSmythe it should be interesting to watch, as those Doctor adventures never made the TV in the Netherlands.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    SaintMark wrote: »
    I am waiting for my Box set of your favourite Doctor @MajorDSmythe it should be interesting to watch, as those Doctor adventures never made the TV in the Netherlands.

One of the BR sets?
    I believe so, after the first of July I get to pay extra costs as any webshop outside of the EU zone gets to pay extra custom for any article there is no more minimum for which is does not apply.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I believe so, after the first of July I get to pay extra costs as any webshop outside of the EU zone gets to pay extra custom for any article there is no more minimum for which is does not apply.

Nice. I’m tempted to buy them myself. I think i’m just holding off to see if they bring series 25 to BR. That way, I can be sure to have all three series. It would be annoying to say the least, if they drop the line of classic Who on BR, just as they have nearly done with the DVD line. I think they would have turned their back on the DVD releases, were it not for the fan petitions that popped up online.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Nice. I’m tempted to buy them myself. I think i’m just holding off to see if they bring series 25 to BR. That way, I can be sure to have all three series. It would be annoying to say the least, if they drop the line of classic Who on BR, just as they have nearly done with the DVD line. I think they would have turned their back on the DVD releases, were it not for the fan petitions that popped up online.

Was there anything left to release on DVD? Was it Underwater Menace and that was it?

I have just for the first time watched "Time and the Rani" which is something I am sure, it is certainly not my favourite classic DW, nice to see the start of a new Doctor, and visually it is pretty decent.

I recently also received the First Davison season on BR which meant I finally saw that regeneration for the first time. I do like these season releases especially on BR, I finaly get to see some serials I never did see, which is certainly the case with Davison and McCoy.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The Sun: Doctor Who star Peter Capaldi plans to release debut album written in lockdown – so move aside Lewis....
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/15447861/peter-capaldi-debut-album/
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 5,772
    YIPPEE !!! "Evil of the Daleks to be released in animated form, on september 1st 2021 !

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/doctor-who-evil-of-the-daleks-animation-newsupdate/

evil-blu-ray.jpg

evil-steel-1.jpg

evil-steel-2.jpg

I have just for the first time watched "Time and the Rani" which is something I am sure, it is certainly not my favourite classic DW, nice to see the start of a new Doctor, and visually it is pretty decent.

I recently also received the First Davison season on BR which meant I finally saw that regeneration for the first time. I do like these season releases especially on BR, I finaly get to see some serials I never did see, which is certainly the case with Davison and McCoy.

The best description I have seen of series 24. was that it was like a musty old comic shop, where someone had opened up all of the windows, and sprayed a lemon scented air freshner everywhere. An apt description I think.
    Gerard wrote: »
    YIPPEE !!! "Evil of the Daleks to be released in animated form, on september 1st 2021 !

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/doctor-who-evil-of-the-daleks-animation-newsupdate/

evil-blu-ray.jpg

evil-steel-1.jpg

evil-steel-2.jpg

We were only just talking about the classic era DVD/BR line. I was hoping that we might get The Wheel In Space next, but it's another Troughton era story for ourcollections, so i'm not complaining.
    The Happiness Patrol
    Not considered a classic by any stretch, but i'm quite fond of this story. If (and i'm aware that this is a big IF) you can get past The Kandy Man, coloured wigs and costumes, you'll find a wonderfully subversive story. The Happiness Patrol is full of great little moments, The Doctor talkign down the two snipers, The Doctors's interactions with Earl (now there was a possible companion), The Doctors interactions with the Cenus taker (especially the 3rd time), and even the fate of Fifi (along with her plans, the one thing that Helen A really cared about, also goes south).

This story is also proof that Doctor Who hasn't just become political, though The Happiness Patrol isn't preachy white man bad, in the way that current political stories are. It's a satire of Thatcher, even predicting how her closest colleagues will turn on her (both Joseph C and Gilbert M, give Helen A the Spanish Archer).

Happiness will prevail!

1. Rememberance Of The Daleks
    2. The Happiness Patrol
    3. Dragonfire
    4. Delta And The Bannerman
    5. Paradise Towers
    6. Time And The Rani
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I can never get through it, to be honest. It's just a bit too badly-made for me, and I was a Seventh Doctor kid.
    That life. Genesis Of The Daleks has been called the #1 story in the shows history, but I don't think it is the best story of the Tom Baker years, nor do I think it's the best Dalek story.

Silver Nemesis
    On paper, my favourite Doctor meeting my favourite monster should make Silver Nemesis a winner. But the cybermen realy don't come off too good this time around, quite weak actually. And do I detect some sassiness from them?

I also think it was a mistake to have this as the 25th anniversary story, swapping Silver Nemesis and Remembrance Of The Daleks around would have been better.

2. The Happiness Patrol
    3. Silver Nemesis
    4. Dragonfire
    5. Delta And The Bannerman
    6. Paradise Towers
    7. Time And The Rani
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I like the basic idea of Silver Nemesis: it's kind of Raiders of the Lost Ark but with Cybermen. But of course they couldn't quite pull it off: I kind of wouldn't mind it being remade in a way!
    And obviously it having the same basic plot (and ending) as Remembrance is a big problem.
    mtm wrote: »
    I like the basic idea of Silver Nemesis: it's kind of Raiders of the Lost Ark but with Cybermen. But of course they couldn't quite pull it off: I kind of wouldn't mind it being remade in a way!
    And obviously it having the same basic plot (and ending) as Remembrance is a big problem.

That and just not being as well written as Remembrance Of The Daleks. I also think there are maybe too many groups of people. Remove Der Flores and his men, leaving the Doctor & Ace, Lady Peinforte & Richard, and The Cybermen. And at the same time, dont make the Cybermen appear so weak.

I don't want to make it out to be an apalling story, it just doesn't live up to being the 25th anniversary story.
    Digital Spy: Doctor Who's Peter Capaldi teases The Suicide Squad villain role.
    http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a36938700/the-suicide-squad-peter-capaldi-thinker-villain-role/
    Bringing series 25 to a close with The Greatest Show In The Galaxy.

103a8b9e3152a70a1943b462054ebfa4.gif

Can' t say that I have any gripes with this story. I don't have a fear of clowns, but these chaps were sinister. And I know that JNT got accused of stunt casting a lot, but Peggy Mount was always watchable. "CIRCUS RIFFRAFF!". It was only a few dats ago that I rewatched the Terry-Thomas / Peter Sellers film, The Naked Truth (1957). 31 years on hadn't quietened her down.

Looking back on series 25, after a bumpy prior series, this is where the McCoy era finally starts to find its feet. It's where the references to the Doctor being more than just a time travelling alien, start to come in. The writing also had improved, even if I could pick at elements of The Happiness Patrol and Silver Nemesis, both are still better than the series 24 stories.

2. The Greatest Show In The Galaxy
    3. The Happiness Patrol
    4. Silver Nemesis
    5. Dragonfire
    6. Delta And The Bannerman
    7. Paradise Towers
    8. Time And The Rani

edited July 2021 Posts: 13,384
    Radio Times: Remembering Jon Pertwee, the ultimate showman who loved life – and loved being Doctor Who.
    https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/doctor-who-jon-pertwee-tribute/

Digital Spy: Doctor Who confirms John Bishop's first appearance with Jodie Whittaker.
    http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a36959396/doctor-who-john-bishop-first-appearance-panel/
    Daily Express: Jodie Whittaker's Doctor Who 'replacement' to be EastEnders and Tenet star Himesh Patel?.
    https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1462842/Jodie-Whittaker-Doctor-Who-replacement-rumours-Himesh-Patel-EastEnders-Tenet-BBC
    Daily Express: Jodie Whittaker's Doctor Who 'replacement' to be EastEnders and Tenet star Himesh Patel?.
    https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1462842/Jodie-Whittaker-Doctor-Who-replacement-rumours-Himesh-Patel-EastEnders-Tenet-BBC

I do hope Jodi stays on now more than ever.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2021 Posts: 5,834
    I'd be down for that. He's a good actor and I enjoyed the little part he did have in Tenet.

My biggest problem is Chibnall's writing. It just doesn't seem to be working, and I haven't properly sat down to watch any of his series during its actual run. I've only seen them by going back later on just to see what he did.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2021 Posts: 23,102

I am not that familiar with his work I know he was in the film Yesterday and to be honest I barely remember him in TENET though only watched that once all the way through.

The Jodie era is one I am least likely to revisit when her tenure is up.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2021 Posts: 14,861
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I'd be down for that. He's a good actor and I enjoyed the little part he did have in Tenet.

I like him, but he plays stuff very understated: perhaps not the best for the Doctor.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    My biggest problem is Chibnall's writing. It just doesn't seem to be working, and I haven't properly sat down to watch any of his series during its actual run. I've only seen them by going back later on just to see what he did.

Yes indeed. The next series is going to be one long 8-part story, but with him writing it I haven't got high hopes.

looking forward now I have to rewatch the last series, a tad much with all the recent Bluray releases of classic DW.
    Recently re-watched on BritBox a couple of Jon Pertwee stories
    The Ambassadors of Death and Inferno. Great stuff :)
    The Curse Of Fenric
    Not just my favourite McCoy-era story, but my favourite story overall. The budgest might be tighter than Scrooge McDuck by this point, but in other aspects, such as the writing, the show was starting to find its feet. And while JNT still gets criticised for "stuntcasting", i'm going to come right out and say that Nicolas Parsons is one of the best guest stars the show. He brought so much dignity to the part of Rev. Wainright, a man of the cloth grapping with his faith.

1. The Curse Of Fenric
    2. Rememberance Of The Daleks
    3. Ghostlight
    4. Battlefield
    5. The Greatest Show In The Galaxy
    6. The Happiness Patrol
    7. Silver Nemesis
    8. Dragonfire
    9. Delta And The Bannerman
    10. Paradise Towers
    11. Time And The Rani
    Daily Mail: Peter Capaldi claims Doctor Who has a 'B-movie, cobbled together quality'.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9834135/Peter-Capaldi-claims-Doctor-B-movie-cobbled-quality.html
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2021 Posts: 14,861
    Daily Mail: Peter Capaldi claims Doctor Who has a 'B-movie, cobbled together quality'.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9834135/Peter-Capaldi-claims-Doctor-B-movie-cobbled-quality.html

A horrible article engineered to make it look like he's criticising Dr Who when he actually says that's what he loves about it. Also written by idiots because it says that Steven Moffat worked on Suicide Squad, which he did not: they haven't even read the article they lifted much of that from properly.
    Inevitably moronic comments at the bottom saying stuff like 'the BBC is too woke now'.
    I think all Who fans know how much Peter loves the programme.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes indeed, that's why it annoyed me to see another comment at the bottom saying 'has he even watched the show?'. Very stupid people on that site.