Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited July 2021 Posts: 14,799
    In any case (and I know nothing of the actor himself) Dan Steven will be a bit old when the time comes to choose a successor. If he was to be cast now for a Bond film being released next year, maybe he'd have a chance, but again I think he might have missed the train.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    I think we seem to be in a bit of a bind regarding actor's ages. Everyone over 40 is considered too old, but everyone under 35 is considered 'baby faced'. That leaves only a very specific and narrow window that could prove restricting when it comes to casting.

People look younger these days. 40 year olds don't look as old as they used to. I don't think we should rule people out just because of the numbers on someone's birth certificate.

Of course, if they are in their late 40s then it might be more difficult for them to make 4 or 5 films, but I don't think 40 or early forties is too old to get a run in the role.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited July 2021 Posts: 4,247
    I think we seem to be in a bit of a bind regarding actor's ages. Everyone over 40 is considered too old, but everyone under 35 is considered 'baby faced'. That leaves only a very specific and narrow window that could prove restricting when it comes to casting.

People look younger these days. 40 year olds don't look as old as they used to. I don't think we should rule people out just because of the numbers on someone's birth certificate.

Of course, if they are in their late 40s then it might be more difficult for them to make 4 or 5 films, but I don't think 40 or early forties is too old to get a run in the role.

Yeah. With Moore, Dalton & Brosnan. EON of old didn't bother about them being in their 40s. So EON can still bring back that style of casting. Personally, I think they should, because Craig should have made more than 5 Bond films, considering he joins Connery & Lazenby as the youngest Bonds.
    GadgetMan wrote: »

Yeah. With Moore, Dalton & Brosnan. EON of old didn't bother about them being in their 40s. So EON can still bring back that style of casting. Personally, I think they should, because Craig should have made more than 5 Bond films, considering he joins Connery & Lazenby as the youngest Bonds.

Yes I agree with this. Obviously the optimum is to get an actor who is 35. But 35 year old good looking actors are likely to look mid/late twenties these days.

Yes I agree with this. Obviously the optimum is to get an actor who is 35. But 35 year old good looking actors are likely to look mid/late twenties these days.

Exactly.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    The only trouble with hiring an actor who's slightly older, say in their 40's is they become more and more susceptible to being injury prone. Not always of course, but the risk is probably high enough for the studio and EON to be concerned.
    One of the reasons I believe factored in Pierce Brosnan not returning for a fifth film, was the injury his sustained to his knee whilst film DAD. It's never been confirmed obviously, but at the time it put the film schedule into disarray. Just a theory I have with bringing in the younger Daniel Craig, and rebooting the series with CR.
    Benny wrote: »
    The only trouble with hiring an actor who's slightly older, say in their 40's is they become more and more susceptible to being injury prone. Not always of course, but the risk is probably high enough for the studio and EON to be concerned.
    One of the reasons I believe factored in Pierce Brosnan not returning for a fifth film, was the injury his sustained to his knee whilst film DAD. It's never been confirmed obviously, but at the time it put the film schedule into disarray. Just a theory I have with bringing in the younger Daniel Craig, and rebooting the series with CR.

I think this might be a consideration. But it still leaves us with the same problem. That actors who are between 30-35 look very young these days, are still going to look younger than previous actors in the role until they get to 40, and then they are considered too old.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Craig got an injury on only his second film, I'm not sure they'd worry too much about that.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    • run
    mtm wrote: »
    Craig got an injury on only his second film, I'm not sure they'd worry too much about that.

I agree 100% ; as a man who has always been heavily involved in health and fitness, and has a very physically taxing occupation as a firefighter, I can confidently say that physical durability for an actor in his 40’s , into his 50’s is a non-issue for an actor who maintains their body.

• peterpeter Toronto

Didn’t he get a couple of his teeth knocked out in a fight rehearsal in CR?
    Right out of the hop, Craig’s body got mangled in one way or the other— was SF his only injury-free film?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    peter wrote: »

Didn’t he get a couple of his teeth knocked out in a fight rehearsal in CR?

I don't know; I feel like that may have been in that round of 'Craig can't drive a manual car' silly season rumours from people who didn't like a blond guy playing 007. I'm not sure if it was true or not.

• All this talk about all these fellas, and it's just going to end up being Jack Lowden.
    edited July 2021 Posts: 7,889
    All this talk about all these fellas, and it's just going to end up being Jack Lowden.

One of my top 3 choices. He’s got more than a hint of Connery’’s mischievous confidence

zWon4kS.jpg

talos7 wrote: »
    All this talk about all these fellas, and it's just going to end up being Jack Lowden.

One of my top 3 choices. He’s got more than a hint of Connery’’s mischievous confidence

zWon4kS.jpg

Yeah. Lowden works for me as well. His performance in Dunkirk was good.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Shallow comment from me here, but I just find his face incredibly... bland, I guess. I don't hate him, but I don't find him interesting at all.

It's not so much about looking old or mature enough as it is about lasting in the position for a good time. Now that the delays are quite long between Bond films, an actor will age considerably more between them. And even a youthful looking man I'm his 40s, like Moore and Brosnan were, will sooner or later look old, and often sooner than later. Ideally, I'd say a new Bond actor should be in his early 30s to late 30s when cast. I'd take a younger actor, providing he can act the part and is sufficiently masculine, to mature in the role, over one that may look mature but can quickly look like someone's dirty minded uncle.
  • talos7 wrote: »

zWon4kS.jpg

I've said for a couple of years that I feel it's going to be him. Like some sort of sixth sense thing. He ticks all the boxes. I was a little concerned his profile might go up too much. He feels so right.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier

zWon4kS.jpg

I've said for a couple of years that I feel it's going to be him. Like some sort of sixth sense thing. He ticks all the boxes. I was a little concerned his profile might go up too much. He feels so right.

How about Tintin? Fits the bill just right.
  • talos7 wrote: »

zWon4kS.jpg

How about Tintin? Fits the bill just right.

Lol!!! He does. Nothing wrong with taking both roles on.
    It's gearing up to be the most competitive James Bond screen test yet. I can imagine a Bond candidate sipping a martini with the wrong facial expression and missing out on the role. That's how tight it might be.
  • GadgetMan wrote: »
    It's gearing up to be the most competitive James Bond screen test yet. I can imagine a Bond candidate sipping a martini with the wrong facial expression and missing out on the role. That's how tight it might be.

Definitely. Launching a new Bond is always squeaky bum time, but this feels especially monumental. Craig is the best since Connery, Amazon acquisition, and post-Covid.

Definitely. Launching a new Bond is always squeaky bum time, but this feels especially monumental. Craig is the best since Connery, Amazon acquisition, and post-Covid.

Honestly. The upcoming Bond screen test feels so huge. Apart from the usual FRWL scene, maybe scenes from some of Craig's Bond films might also be used to test the candidates, because Craig has been great. Maybe Bond and Dryden's exchange from CR or Bond & Severine's exchange from SF might be used to test the candidates.
  • How about Tintin? Fits the bill just right.
    Don't give me hope about the return of Tintin to the big screen. Nevertheless, Lowden could be a great choice.
    edited July 2021 Posts: 737
    Ludovico wrote: »

It's not so much about looking old or mature enough as it is about lasting in the position for a good time. Now that the delays are quite long between Bond films, an actor will age considerably more between them. And even a youthful looking man I'm his 40s, like Moore and Brosnan were, will sooner or later look old, and often sooner than later. Ideally, I'd say a new Bond actor should be in his early 30s to late 30s when cast. I'd take a younger actor, providing he can act the part and is sufficiently masculine, to mature in the role, over one that may look mature but can quickly look like someone's dirty minded uncle.

In which case people have to stop moaning about actors looking baby faced. Let's stick to the point. I am not saying the actor has to be in his forties. I am saying that on these boards people have a tendency to complain that actors look too young, but as soon as they hit 40 they say they are too old.

We all want a mature looking 33-36 year old to take the role. The problem is that there's never one of those around when you want one.
    As far as an actor aging in the the role, that is why it’s important to have a blueprint, and a path mapped out for the tenure of the next actor; they can’t just wing it.
    As far as an actor aging in the the role, that is why it’s important to have a blueprint, and a path mapped out for the tenure of the next actor; they can’t just wing it.

I agree. Best idea for moving forward. However, I have a feeling they'll continue to release the films at their own leisure pace without a blueprint for the era planned. They'll take things as they come. Enough time will pass between films that there will be no point in planning ahead. Plot and character ideas created years previously may be deemed irrelevant by the time they get around to producing another film.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I agree. Best idea for moving forward. However, I have a feeling they'll continue to release the films at their own leisure pace without a blueprint for the era planned. They'll take things as they come. Enough time will pass between films that there will be no point in planning ahead. Plot and character ideas created years previously may be deemed irrelevant by the time they get around to producing another film.

Yes, they have never had a coherent blueprint for any of the actors, so there's no reason to think they will start now. I agree with @talos7 that it would make sense, though.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

There are a few things that will remain timely for a while I think: cybersecurity issues, biological warfare, terrorism. So plot wise I think we might be covered, to a degree at least.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I think I just heard on the radio, that apparently DC has revealed discussions are underway on who will be the next 007.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2021 Posts: 14,861
    Interesting, so clearly Ms Broccoli considered it! :)

https://www.gamesradar.com/no-time-to-die-daniel-craig-interview-james-bond-25/
    “Two years ago I took Barbara to my favourite Japanese restaurant in New York,” says Fukunaga who, coincidentally, is regaling TF over coffee in New York. Alas, he won’t reveal his culinary hotspot, lest TF attempt to crash his dinner. “I tried to wine and dine her. At that point Daniel said he wasn’t doing another one, so we spit-balled all the potential new Bonds – that was exciting.