NTTD & Corona

Comments

Looks like for Green Knight, also COVID-related....shitshitshitshitshit
    antovolk wrote: »

I’d say that settles it then. So, next Spring?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'd say the early months of 2022 are already pretty packed with releases, aren't they? Watch them delay NTTD another full year. How feasible is that?
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'd say the early months of 2022 are already pretty packed with releases, aren't they? Watch them delay NTTD another full year. How feasible is that?

Those “only in theaters” messages really seem like taunts now. What a mess.
    ertert wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Those “only in theaters” messages really seem like taunts now. What a mess.

"Only In Theaters...one day. Some day. Maybe. We don't know anymore."
    Would Q4 2021 be the best time for EON to rely on their new partners and release via Amazon?
    Surely now that Amazon own MGM would that mean that NTTD can take a financial hit, given their big pockets. It’s not as if they won’t get behind Bond 26 if NTTD has to release on streaming.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    And since Bond is such a UK property, I can't see them move ahead with releasing the film elsewhere (be it mainland Europe or Stateside) before the UK release, so in the words of Mallory:

Then we're all buggered.
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 490
    TR007 wrote: »
    Would Q4 2021 be the best time for EON to rely on their new partners and release via Amazon?
    Surely now that Amazon own MGM would that mean that NTTD can take a financial hit, given their big pockets. It’s not as if they won’t get behind Bond 26 if NTTD has to release on streaming.

An important thing to note is that the U.S. is wide open. there would be literal violence on a large scale if governors tried to close businesses again. The U.S. will stay open.

Despite the producers’ insistence that it will be “Only in Theaters”, could Amazon force them to release it on streaming in UK / Europe if things close down and then still release in theaters in the u.s.? How does Australia play into this which shows no sign of re-opening anytime soon? Asia?

I really hope Amazon forces their hand because this is just getting ridiculous at this point. Isn’t like 70% of the UK at least partially vaxxed?
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium

Too early. Amazon have agreed to buy MGM, but that sale isn't final yet. There are regulators that want to check what the impact on the financial market is first, and they need to greenlight the acquisition.

And then there's EON, who have been very outspoken about the film being in theaters first. They're not backtracking that as easily.
    And thirdly, both Annapurna and Universal have an agreement with MGM to co-release the film in the US and release the film outside the US respectively.
    I'm not familiar with any legal ramifications and how easily things can be broken up, but you bet there are some contracts signed that guarantee a cinema release.

An important thing to note is that the U.S. is wide open. there would be literal violence on a large scale if governors tried to close businesses again. The U.S. will stay open.

Despite the producers’ insistence that it will be “Only in Theaters”, could Amazon force them to release it on streaming in UK / Europe if things close down and then still release in theaters in the u.s.? How does Australia play into this which shows no sign of re-opening anytime soon? Asia?

I really hope Amazon forces their hand because this is just getting ridiculous at this point. Isn’t like 70% of the UK at least partially vaxxed?

I wholeheartedly agree. I never thought I’d say it but if it’s between another delay or Amazon intervening, I’d much rather the latter.
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 3,164

54.6% fully vaxxed, 70% with at least one dose. And looks like things might top out at 75% percent anyway since under 18s will not be getting vaccinated (except those clinically vulnerable)

54.6% fully vaxxed, 70% with at least one dose. And looks like things might top out at 75% percent anyway since under 18s will not be getting vaccinated (except those clinically vulnerable)

Given that we still have a few months til release that’s plenty of time to get those numbers up. Quite ridiculous if they would delay again.

On the other hand, wasn’t it just yesterday that they updated one of the posters to also say “only in theaters”. Maybe they knew that these 2 other films were about to be delayed and were once again reaffirming that they would only release theatrically and they knew they would have to delay it again.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Embrace the 60th anniversary. Call it destiny…
    If it is delayed again, it may very well pass the gap between LTK and GE. That's depressing.
    The world is depressing.
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 3,164

Given that we still have a few months til release that’s plenty of time to get those numbers up. Quite ridiculous if they would delay again.

On the other hand, wasn’t it just yesterday that they updated one of the posters to also say “only in theaters”. Maybe they knew that these 2 other films were about to be delayed and were once again reaffirming that they would only release theatrically and they knew they would have to delay it again.
    Wouldn't be much help if cinemas here close down again due to the current rise in cases (40-50k/day) - which in itself is due to the relaxation of measures... Boris Johnson made the decision to open things up at the current vaccination rates and here we are.

And that poster update is just for the US campaign, not UK. They've been having that messaging there for the past month

Wouldn't be much help if cinemas here close down again due to the current rise in cases (40-50k/day) - which in itself is due to the relaxation of measures... Boris Johnson made the decision to open things up at the current vaccination rates and here we are.

And that poster update is just for the US campaign, not UK. They've been having that messaging there for the past month

Thanks for clarifying about the posters. Would cinemas really close down though? Seems like that would be really ill-received by the public.

Covid is never going away. We have a wonderful vaccine that works really well. There will be waves of Covid coming and going every year. Surely they can’t close cinemas or clubs every winter forever.
    I guess that's the fear with this specific wave, that to compensate for the big opening up they could sharply close everything...

Now, I do think if it is anything less than closure - if it's back to limited capacity + masks - the film isn't gonna get delayed.
    I guess that's the fear with this specific wave, that to compensate for the big opening up they could sharply close everything...

Now, I do think if it is anything less than closure - if it's back to limited capacity + masks - the film isn't gonna get delayed.

I would think that would be political suicide for the government to close businesses again but who knows. It is quite concerning that two releases have chosen to delay. But they don’t seem to be major event films like Bond, or Fast & Furious.
    edited July 2021 Posts: 4,343
    I don’t think theaters will close down again but the problem is the uncertainty surrounding another massive spread of the virus.
    Point is: people would still go to the theaters with 100K daily new cases? I don’t know. EoN clearly wants to make massive box office results, they don’t want 600 million dollars worldwide, especially after a 1.5 year delay and this particular time is still full of uncertainty. Especially since they don’t want to embrace any streaming service solution like big studios.
    matt_u wrote: »
    I don’t think theaters will close down again but the problem is the uncertainty surrounding another massive spread of the virus.
    Point is: people would still go to the theaters with 100K daily new cases? I don’t know. EoN clearly wants to make massive box office results, they don’t want 600 million dollars worldwide, especially after a 1.5 year delay and this particular time is still full of uncertainty.

Hospitalizations are the metric to track, not cases. The vaccines have largely, but not entirely, severed the link between those two outcomes.
    I imagine Eon knew these other films were being delayed before the actual announcements were made and they’re mulling over a decision as we speak.
    Anyone with any industry connections able to give us any info?
    Point is: people would still go to the theaters with 100K daily new cases? I don’t know. EoN clearly wants to make massive box office results, they don’t want 600 million dollars worldwide, especially after a 1.5 year delay and this particular time is still full of uncertainty.

Hospitalizations are the metric to track, not cases. The vaccines have largely, but not entirely, severed the link between those two outcomes.
    I imagine Eon knew these other films were being delayed before the actual announcements were made and they’re mulling over a decision as we speak.

Everybody knows that. Point is we are not talking about opening a bar, we are talking about marketing, premiering and releasing a big giant event film almost like they always did before COVID. Because it looks like that’s what EoN wants to do. They even talked about a premiere night at Wembley and they want this long awaited culmination of 15 years of Bond to really smash the box office. Unfortunately September may be a too uncertain time to achieve that, because of this bloody Indian/Delta variant.

Everybody knows that. Point is we are not talking about opening a bar, we are talking about marketing, premiering and releasing a big giant event film almost like they always did before COVID. Because it looks like that’s what EoN wants to do. They even talked about a premiere night at Wembley and they want this long awaited culmination of 15 years of Bond to really smash the box office. Unfortunately September may be a too uncertain time to achieve that, because of this bloody Indian/Delta variant.

All good points. I forgot about the Wembley premiere. I wonder when they would have to sell tickets for that or reserve the venue for the event. Surely that’s all been put into motion by now and would be difficult to abandon.
    The most depressing part of this is that there will never be a better time to show the film. Even if they delay it another year for no good reason. There will always be another variant. Covid is here to stay. We have a vaccine which many people have access to. Life has to go on. Prolonged lockdowns simply aren’t feasible.

The demand is there. Venues are packed with people.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    F9 has passed 600 million worldwide which is good news and at least they can see a path for NTTD…what exactly is UK’s situation as far a closures or restrictions?
    I really wish they don't hold the release off in other markets. There won't be a time in the near future where a complete global cinematic release will be possible, so a line has to be drawn somewhere. Obviously UK is an important market and especially sentimental about Bond, but frankly it's been a long enough wait as is and from a business perspective the film can make very good money from the markets that are open now.
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    F9 has passed 600 million worldwide which is good news and at least they can see a path for NTTD…what exactly is UK’s situation as far a closures or restrictions?

My understanding is that everything opened back up this week with the prime minister being adamant that things would not shut down again. The problem is that there is currently a huge spike of the Delta variant amongst unvaccinated people, and some are concerned that this will cause things to have to close down again in the coming weeks.

Two films, The Duke, and and The Green Knight have been delayed again due to Covid, which is concerning given that they were scheduled to release before NTTD .

My understanding is that everything opened back up this week with the prime minister being adamant that things would not shut down again. The problem is that there is currently a huge spike of the Delta variant amongst unvaccinated people, and some are concerned that this will cause things to have to close down again in the coming weeks.

Two films, The Duke, and and The Green Knight have been delayed again due to Covid, which is concerning given that they were scheduled to release before NTTD .

Yes, there are no restrictions by the government any more.
    But distributors fear, that some people may still not feel good going to the theatre. That's the reason for the postponement.

True but Bond is not that popular in China that guaranteed 1/3 of F9 overall gross.