Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited June 2021 Posts: 108
    Mark Greenstreet talks about his Bond audition from about 2.37 on Wogan sometime in the mid 80s. I remember this guy and this particular interview.

Greenstreet was one of the actors auditioned when they were considering going young for the part. At the time he was considered a prospect after starring in a dual role in the well received BBC series Brat Farrar. Unfortunately in the early 90s he starred in the BBC series Trainer, a series that was widely panned and Greenstreet especially was singled out for a thorough monstering. Perhaps that experience put him off acting or others off hiring him because he never acted on screen again. He was a good looking chap but obviously was never going to be Bond. It's amusing in hindsight to hear Wogan's thoughts on a blond Bond.

For those of you wondering (and that's undoubtedly no one), the part Greenstreet auditioned for on the Colbys went to Adrian Paul. I remember Paul on that show too. Must be getting on a bit.
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 15,785
    Mark Greenstreet talks about his Bond audition from about 2.37 on Wogan sometime in the mid 80s. I remember this guy and this particular interview.

Greenstreet was one of the actors auditioned when they were considering going young for the part. At the time he was considered a prospect after starring in a dual role in the well received BBC series Brat Farrar. Unfortunately in the early 90s he starred in the BBC series Trainer, a series that was widely panned and Greenstreet especially was singled out for a thorough monstering. Perhaps that experience put him off acting or others off hiring him because he never acted on screen again. He was a good looking chap but obviously was never going to be Bond. It's amusing in hindsight to hear Wogan's thoughts on a blond Bond.

For those of you wondering (and that's undoubtedly no one), the part Greenstreet auditioned for on the Colbys went to Adrian Paul. I remember Paul on that show too. Must be getting on a bit.

Very interesting. Charming. He's a rather intelligent young man by the way. Cool to be related to Sydney Greenstreet.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    They could have done worse.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    They could’ve done worse indeed. Dalton was perfect for TLD, but Mark Greenstreet could’ve been a very credible Bond. His voice works for me, the Etonian schoolboy. Right look , and he’s clearly a Bond fan, or at least knows his stuff.
    Yet another what if. Bond has been so lucky in its casting of the lead role over the years.
    Let us hope it continues with Bond number 7.
    Too bad we couldn't transport the Mark Greenstreet of 1986 to 2021 and get a proper YOUNG BOND adaptation set during WW2.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I remember Trainer, yes that did seem to do for him.

Still, 1987 wasn't all that bad a year. Yes, Dalton may have got the Bond gig, but at least Mark got a role in Doctor Who.

lakerttrb.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2021 Posts: 14,861
    Maybe a little offbeat but I wonder if they've ever looked at Harry Lloyd? I've always thought he gives really good magnetic performances in anything I've seen him in, he's got a sonorous voice, and I think looks-wise he's got something of the Fassbenders about him.

MV5BNGUxOWFkYzQtNGNjMy00NDU1LTk1NmUtMmIyZGU3YTQxYWU2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzY0MTE3NzU@._V1_.jpg
    mtm wrote: »
    Maybe a little offbeat but I wonder if they've ever looked at Harry Lloyd? I've always thought he gives really good magnetic performances in anything I've seen him in, he's got a sonorous voice, and I think looks-wise he's got something of the Fassbenders about him.

MV5BNGUxOWFkYzQtNGNjMy00NDU1LTk1NmUtMmIyZGU3YTQxYWU2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzY0MTE3NzU@._V1_.jpg

I know nothing about him, but a great look .
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    He's maybe not the most classically handsome guy out there, but he is a really really good actor in anything I've seen him in with bags of presence. I don't know: I'm not saying he would be a perfect fit but he would be interesting to consider.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I have never seen him in anything but he has a very interesting face, for sure.

Classically handsome isn't an obligatory requirement for me, personally; someone darkly attractive with a decent amount of magnetic charm would be ideal.
    I don’t see where he’s not classily handsome, Craig on the other hand…
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I recognize him from Doctor Who. Interesting choice.

"You did ask for it stirred, didn't you, Mr Bond?"

YEsO.gif
    I suppose classically handsome is a term that has maybe had its meaning diluted somewhat in recent times. A lot of people just see a look that isn't a current style and apply it to it.
    If casting for the next Bond film was taking place tomorrow for a 2022 release, I'd say Harry Lloyd would be in my top five choices and he'd have very good chances to get the role. Now at 37, I think he might be too old to succeed Craig.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Good shout @mtm
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Cheers Jordo.
    He's certainly one I could see slipping easily into a period adaptation, perhaps.
    Harry Lloyd does look pretty good there. He could be wonderful as Bond.
    However as I firmly believe we're looking at an approximate 20 year gap following NTTD ( and that's being generous) , I'd day actors currently around the age of 17 are the best bet.
    Kit Connor is the actor I think could follow Craig.....................in about 20 years,

D6xww2PXsAIH17O.jpg
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    However as I firmly believe we're looking at an approximate 20 year gap following NTTD ( and that's being generous) , I'd day actors currently around the age of 17 are the best bet.
    Kit Connor is the actor I think could follow Craig.....................in about 20 years,

That's an interesting theory @ToTheRight and who knows, there could be another break between NTTD and the next Bond film. But 20 years!
    I don't think Amazon bought MGM to put it's main draw into hibernation. If anything we could see a deal, where Bond films are churned out on a more regular basis.
    As always, time will tell.
    I think a the next Bond film , featuring a new 007, will be in theaters within 5 years. As stated above, Amazon did not fork out all of that money just to let the Bond franchise hibernate.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2021 Posts: 14,861
    talos7 wrote: »
    I think a the next Bond film , featuring a new 007, will be in theaters within 5 years. As stated above, Amazon did not fork out all of that money just to let the Bond franchise hibernate.

Yes I think you're right there. I think Eon will put their foot down and not agree to anything under three years between films, but I think the next one won't be too far away.
    Benny wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »

That's an interesting theory @ToTheRight and who knows, there could be another break between NTTD and the next Bond film. But 20 years!
    I don't think Amazon bought MGM to put it's main draw into hibernation. If anything we could see a deal, where Bond films are churned out on a more regular basis.
    As always, time will tell.

LOL. That 20 years was certainly a sarcastic exaggeration due to the current gap, and an excuse for me to find a funny pic of some young kid for Bond. I do hope Amazon inspires Eon to get cracking on the next film sooner than later. :)
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I was thinking Mr. Lloyd looks different without his glasses.

harold-lloyd-harold-lloyd-23552460-454-587.jpg
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited June 2021 Posts: 17,727
    I was thinking Mr. Lloyd looks different without his glasses.

harold-lloyd-harold-lloyd-23552460-454-587.jpg

It's just a case of Safety First... ;)
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    edited June 2021 Posts: 686
    mtm wrote: »

He's very good in Counterpart, the parallel world espionage thriller series starring J.K. Simmons. That was a very good show in general, and worth checking out if you have access to StarzPlay (if you're in the UK).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ooh that sounds good, JK is always a good sign; I’ll give that a go, thanks.
  • Not a new suggestion, but I just came across this screenshot from The Banker starring Nicolas Hoult. There is something in his pose, with such lightning, that makes him convincing as a potential candidate for the role.

EbcooOrUYAAj_JF.jpg
    Very, very high on my list.
    Not a new suggestion, but I just came across this screenshot from The Banker starring Nicolas Hoult. There is something in his pose, with such lightning, that makes him convincing as a potential candidate for the role.

EbcooOrUYAAj_JF.jpg

Looks a tad baby face on that pic.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2021 Posts: 14,861
    I don't know if I'm even 100% convinced by him, but in terms of movie experience, position in the industry, age, ability etc. he just seems the most likely to me right now.

If you were interviewing for the job and had a specific set of requirements, you'd give him the job based on his CV alone.
    He was proper nasteh in Those Who Wish Me Dead. Pretty believable as a killer.