Bond Character Spin-off Thread

I'm creating this thread so that you can talk about which minor character in the main EON Bond films deserves their own spin-off film/series. Mine would be Francois Derval, so that we could gain an insight into work as a SPECTRE agent from their perspective. Some suggestions in the Controversial Opinions thread so far have been very interesting too.

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I'm glad that my suggestion of a spin-off Bond spin-off thread has been implemented. It will therefore neatly house all the Bond spin-off discussions in one place. :)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2021 Posts: 14,861
    Whoops, just saw this one! I'll repost my recent contribution to the 'Controversial' thread:

If I was to do a spin-off I think I'd do THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN. A sort of Hannibal/Bates Motel/Americans style TV show about an antihero, following the rise of Scaramanga as he becomes the world's greatest assassin. Base it on the film version to some extent (give him the same golden gun for example) but like those other TV shows or Joker or whatever, don't be constrained by fitting the exact continuity. So no messing around with Solexes, no need for Nick Nack (unless they can think of a good reason for him), the new lead wouldn't have to be a Christopher Lee lookalike. In fact Mads Mikkelson would be perfect, if he hadn't already done Bond! :)

He's basically the anti-Bond anyway, so this way you get a Bond spin-off where the main character is kind of a Bond substitute and lives in the world of 007 (expensive travel, fast cars, beautiful women, gadgets, assassination), but is still his own character and actually quite an iconic figure on his own, separate from Bond. So you feel like you're watching something that is in Bond's world, but I don't think you'd feel the absence of 007 himself, which I think you might do with a Leiter spinoff or whatever. He's even got a pretty decent John Barry theme tune which you could adapt, Bond theme-style.

And you could open it with a gunbarrel sequence- a golden gunbarrel sequence where the guy who turns around in the middle of the screen gets shot dead :D

45617-1540279623.jpg
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    I've always thought Bambi and Thumper would make a good buddy TV show - kind of security for hire. If you need guarding, if no-one else can keep you safe, call Bambi and Thumper. A recurring occasional guest slot for Cha and Nara would be written into the contract.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I quite honestly hope we're not getting Bond spinoffs, except in the comic book medium. We call it the "Bond" series, not the "MI6" or "Secret Service" or "Cold War" or whatever series. Without Bond, there's little to work with.

Example: Francois Derval

Surely, we know what we need to know about this man. Insight in SPECTRE? The OP says that we "could gain an insight into work as a SPECTRE agent from their perspective", but do we want that? Is SPECTRE even interesting without Bond? It's difficult to say because we've never actually had to sit through a full feature-length film like that. I just don't think any of that could amuse or entertain us.

Several film and TV series have spawned spinoffs everywhere. And each time one is inclined to think, "yeah, that could work". Until we see them and the same sentiments show up: something is missing. And that very something is the original thing that made the original series work in the first place. Even when THE WALKING DEAD was still good, FEAR THE WALKING DEAD wasn't. The BATTLESTAR GALACTICA spinoffs were abysmal. US MARSHALS? THE SCORPION KING? SOLO? FANTASTIC BEASTS? ... There's always something missing. A Bond spinoff would have a very big something missing, in fact: 007. It may sound like a good idea, but would it ever be any better than mediocre fanfic? I doubt it. Ideas galore, until we see them executed.

STAR TREK was brought up in the other thread. Clearly not the same thing. STAR TREK has multiple characters, few boundaries in time and space, and adventures revolved around mankind and not just one central figure. It's not Kirk Trek or Spock Trek. TNG merely goes forth with the same missions, its temporal and spatial infinities and its unlimited possibilities for fantasy and myth-building. But Bond is Bond. It's all about Bond: 98% 007 + 2% everyone and everything else. Save M's adventures, MP's fantasies and Q's adventures in technoland for comics, shall we? And the villains can be interesting cases, especially in Fleming's books, but give them their own films exempt from Bond's inquiries and sabotage? Sounds like a recipe for either boredom or an insult to the main series.

I'd just prefer a good Bond film every few years. And I don't mind dreaming about spinoffs. I just don't think it'd be wise to actually make them.
  • DarthDimi wrote: »
    I quite honestly hope we're not getting Bond spinoffs, except in the comic book medium. We call it the "Bond" series, not the "MI6" or "Secret Service" or "Cold War" or whatever series. Without Bond, there's little to work with.

Example: Francois Derval

Surely, we know what we need to know about this man. Insight in SPECTRE? The OP says that we "could gain an insight into work as a SPECTRE agent from their perspective", but do we want that? Is SPECTRE even interesting without Bond? It's difficult to say because we've never actually had to sit through a full feature-length film like that. I just don't think any of that could amuse or entertain us.

Several film and TV series have spawned spinoffs everywhere. And each time one is inclined to think, "yeah, that could work". Until we see them and the same sentiments show up: something is missing. And that very something is the original thing that made the original series work in the first place. Even when THE WALKING DEAD was still good, FEAR THE WALKING DEAD wasn't. The BATTLESTAR GALACTICA spinoffs were abysmal. US MARSHALS? THE SCORPION KING? SOLO? FANTASTIC BEASTS? ... There's always something missing. A Bond spinoff would have a very big something missing, in fact: 007. It may sound like a good idea, but would it ever be any better than mediocre fanfic? I doubt it. Ideas galore, until we see them executed.

STAR TREK was brought up in the other thread. Clearly not the same thing. STAR TREK has multiple characters, few boundaries in time and space, and adventures revolved around mankind and not just one central figure. It's not Kirk Trek or Spock Trek. TNG merely goes forth with the same missions, its temporal and spatial infinities and its unlimited possibilities for fantasy and myth-building. But Bond is Bond. It's all about Bond: 98% 007 + 2% everyone and everything else. Save M's adventures, MP's fantasies and Q's adventures in technoland for comics, shall we? And the villains can be interesting cases, especially in Fleming's books, but give them their own films exempt from Bond's inquiries and sabotage? Sounds like a recipe for either boredom or an insult to the main series.

I'd just prefer a good Bond film every few years. And I don't mind dreaming about spinoffs. I just don't think it'd be wise to actually make them.

I wasn't actually saying that I would want a spin-off. I think they practically ruined the Star Wars franchise (Disney didn't exactly help either). I was just thinking mainly about what it would be like to have one (envisioning it) and if there was one, who it would be? I understand what you say about Bond being a single character, and I personally think there probably shouldn't be a spin-off anyway, but I think it's an interesting concept that's popped up recently mostly due to Amazon buying MGM. Maybe I phrased my original post wrong, sorry :) I wasn't actually hoping there'd be a spin-off, just wondering about what it would be like.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I liked Solo, I thought it delivered on all the Star Warsy thrills.
    And for every Scorpion King there's a The Simpsons or Better Call Saul or Logan or Joker or Frasier or Creed (seems there's something about spinoffs and one-word titles! :D )
    So although I'm inclined to agree that the appeal of Bond movies is usually Bond himself, I don't think it automatically rules out the possibility of a decent spinoff. As long as they look at what a Bond audience wants and satisfies that, or perhaps go somewhere completely different (I still kind of think that a Harris Moneypenny spinoff could work) I don't think it's impossible.
  • mtm wrote: »
    And for every Scorpion King there's a The Simpsons or Better Call Saul or Logan or Joker or Frasier or Creed (seems there's something about spinoffs and one-word titles! :D )
    So although I'm inclined to agree that the appeal of Bond movies is usually Bond himself, I don't think it automatically rules out the possibility of a decent spinoff. As long as they look at what a Bond audience wants and satisfies that, or perhaps go somewhere completely different (I still kind of think that a Harris Moneypenny spinoff could work) I don't think it's impossible.

I actually preferred Solo to Rogue One. Back on the topic of a Bond spin-off, I think it would have to function as a standalone film and not rely heavily on the link to Bond, as if it did function as a standalone film, it could be viewed separately and not always be compared to the main franchise. I think if they push the Bond link too much, then it probably won't work.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2021 Posts: 14,861
    mtm wrote: »

I actually preferred Solo to Rogue One. Back on the topic of a Bond spin-off, I think it would have to function as a standalone film and not rely heavily on the link to Bond, as if it did function as a standalone film, it could be viewed separately and not always be compared to the main franchise. I think if they push the Bond link too much, then it probably won't work.

Yes I agree. If you feel like Bond is missing from the film/TV show you're watching then it isn't working.
    Kind of makes me think of that video game spinoff they tried: was the main character called GoldenEye? He was a villain in Bond's world... not sure it entirely worked.
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 6,844
    I could go in for an Everybody Loves Raymond-style family comedy featuring the home antics and drama of Klaus Hergesheimer.

“Hi honey, how were things in G section today?”
    “It was a nightmare. Some nut decided to take one of the moon buggies for a whirl.”
    “Did I mention my mother’s coming for dinner?”
    “I really am having a nightmare. Do me a favor and wake me before she appears?”
    [studio audience laughs]
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Colthorpe from TMWTGG, who could try and out do Q in the Quartermaster's
    department, as Young Nerds on the road to becoming the new Armour. ;)
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Mr. Mendel is a worthy focus as he meets the untold career challenges of his position. Expertly and happily managing passwords alongside money transfers. Pausing, then erupting with laughter at the slightest comment. Always standing by to help his clients.

Important character reveals could include his personal life. When not on international travel, what does he drive. Does he live alone or with family--his mother maybe. Pets or otherwise. Is he a sporting man. Is he vaccinated, and for what protections. Did he ever bring (Swiss) chocolates to an associate and where did that notion come from.

Probably only works with the original actor. Could function equally well with or without a laugh track. I don't do emoticons.

ludger-pistor_2268692.jpg
    A series about Draco’s organisation from OHMSS might be fun? At least you could vary the stories and characters a bit each week. One episode might be a bank heist, the next one might be sorting out a corrupt politician, the next one a protection racket problem, the series finale a helicopter raid on a Swiss mountaintop base, something like that
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    A series about Draco’s organisation from OHMSS might be fun? At least you could vary the stories and characters a bit each week. One episode might be a bank heist, the next one might be sorting out a corrupt politician, the next one a protection racket problem, the series finale a helicopter raid on a Swiss mountaintop base, something like that
    Good thoughts, @IGotABrudder, including the story arc.

Would Draco's out of control daughter be a fixture, for humor or more likely drama? Or Olympe could serve either purpose. Guest appearances by M, back at MI6 simultaneously frustrated and amused by reports of Draco's activities. Regardless, each installment Marc Ange could take screen to passionately explain the history and workings of things addressed in the story. And offer money to get what he wants.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I quite like Draco. Could be a sort of family business gangster show, but in the glamorous world of Bond.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    mtm wrote: »
    Whoops, just saw this one! I'll repost my recent contribution to the 'Controversial' thread:

If I was to do a spin-off I think I'd do THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN. A sort of Hannibal/Bates Motel/Americans style TV show about an antihero, following the rise of Scaramanga as he becomes the world's greatest assassin. Base it on the film version to some extent (give him the same golden gun for example) but like those other TV shows or Joker or whatever, don't be constrained by fitting the exact continuity. So no messing around with Solexes, no need for Nick Nack (unless they can think of a good reason for him), the new lead wouldn't have to be a Christopher Lee lookalike. In fact Mads Mikkelson would be perfect, if he hadn't already done Bond! :)

He's basically the anti-Bond anyway, so this way you get a Bond spin-off where the main character is kind of a Bond substitute and lives in the world of 007 (expensive travel, fast cars, beautiful women, gadgets, assassination), but is still his own character and actually quite an iconic figure on his own, separate from Bond. So you feel like you're watching something that is in Bond's world, but I don't think you'd feel the absence of 007 himself, which I think you might do with a Leiter spinoff or whatever. He's even got a pretty decent John Barry theme tune which you could adapt, Bond theme-style.

And you could open it with a gunbarrel sequence- a golden gunbarrel sequence where the guy who turns around in the middle of the screen gets shot dead :D

45617-1540279623.jpg

I read this and thought, wow that is a show that I’d watch. Great idea @mtm.
    The mirror image / anti Bond angle works for me. And the character as a whole is an intriguing one. Seeing him as a young man recruited by the KGB and learning his trade, could make for a good mini series.
    However, I wonder if any spin off for a Bond character would have generic appeal?
    As Bond fans, yes it would be interesting. But do general audiences care about the adventures of Eve Moneypenny. The Union Corse - story of Marc Ange Draco?
    I wonder if this is why we haven’t seen such a spin off, after various ideas have been mooted over the years.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited June 2021 Posts: 4,416
    Besides Judi Dench ''M'' (M The Movie aka Mom aka Master Of Mysterie) who have played as Twine prequel in 1972 on day of Olympics in Munich. For some time i even think about it to at a litle bit of love life from her in to a Bond movie, where Bond 25 starts of with there wedding and after she kild her self her husband turn in to Q (Rodney Llewelyn played by Jared Harris). Inspyed by QOS novel. I think about a video message from her after her death that also have mean return of Charles Robinson. Funny enough years later Spectre include video message from M.

And ''007 in New york'' with 009 take over Bond his number. Whyle this not realy a spinoff but another Bond sequel with Bond losing his number for a short time.

Sonny-Robertson-as-009-29-may-2016.png

, mabey only other one i care about is Felix Leiter spinoff ''Felix Leiter: Password to make contact''.
    Mr. Mendel is a worthy focus as he meets the untold career challenges of his position. Expertly and happily managing passwords alongside money transfers. Pausing, then erupting with laughter at the slightest comment. Always standing by to help his clients.

Important character reveals could include his personal life. When not on international travel, what does he drive. Does he live alone or with family--his mother maybe. Pets or otherwise. Is he a sporting man. Is he vaccinated, and for what protections. Did he ever bring (Swiss) chocolates to an associate and where did that notion come from.

Probably only works with the original actor. Could function equally well with or without a laugh track. I don't do emoticons.

ludger-pistor_2268692.jpg

You beat me to it. I was just about to advocate a Mendel spin off! Yes!!!!
    Mendelicious.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Didn't we already get a Leiter spin-off where Jeffrey Wright eats de peppers?