Folio Society - Ian Fleming Special Editions

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited May 2022 Posts: 17,727
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    Just got YOLT and I love the illustrations that are there but I need to be critical here… no Garden of Death, no Blofeld and really not much a sense of Japan scenery wise more by character only… that seems like a real misfire to me and I know they talk in advance about moments that should be painted
    Yes, from all I’ve heard of YOLT (I still haven’t read it yet) I was disappointed to flip through the illustrations and not see any of the bizarre, macabre scenes I was looking forward to. What’s there is obviously beautiful, but it does seem to be a missed opportunity.

Like both of you and others above have said I too think it's a real missed opportunity not to have included the Garden of Death, the climactic fight with Blofeld, the Japanese scenery etc. There doesn't really seem to be much pont in doing You Only Live Twice unless you are going to paint in those wild and macabre flights of imagination from Fleming. That is indeed a misfire and a real missed opportunity to help illuminate a part of Bond's world not seen in the films as yet. I've not invested in any of these Folio editions as yet and hearing that good art work like this was passed over doesn't make me want to rush out and buy them either. I'm much more of a fanatical collector of older editions of the novels than I am new editions though I do make exceptions to that rule of course.
    For anyone who has seen both, in your opinion, is the artwork in the Folio editions of the novels as interesting as the artwork in Bond comics ?
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    QsCat wrote: »
    Is Colonel Sun the best non-Fleming book? I was considering getting a copy..

Moneypenny Diaries are terrific

Although PussyNoMore would concur that the best scenes were not picked for YOLT he does think that Dalton is the most influential artist to tackle Fleming since Chopping. Albeit Gerald Wadsworth’s fine art oils are also quite incredible!
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    I guess we can start a countdown for the next Folio too since it should be October, right? Safe to assume TMWTGG.
  • Looks like no MWTGG for Folio’s autumn collection, unfortunately.
    What a shame.
    Isn’t their next release only a couple months later?
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    Isn’t their next release only a couple months later?

Yupp, winter collection in October. We'll get it then. Same drill as every year ;)
  • mybudgetbondmybudgetbond The World
    edited October 2021 Posts: 189
    Delighted that there will be another Bond this winter - looking forward to adding this to the collection!

I also asked on Instagram if there were plans for the short story collections - this was the response:

73-D7974-C-31-A9-47-BF-8-EAA-E874-CD943-C6-E.jpg
    Delighted that there will be another Bond this winter - looking forward to adding this to the collection!

I also asked on Instagram if there were plans for the short story collections - this was the response:

Nice, should be both out next year I would assume (March and October).
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited October 2021 Posts: 7,518

That’s good, because the website says TMWTGG is the last of the Folio series.

Well, it says 'the last novel in the series' which is factually true, but I did wonder about it for a second. Good to have confirmation from them though.
    00Agent wrote: »

Well, it says 'the last novel in the series' which is factually true, but I did wonder about it for a second. Good to have confirmation from them though.

I know; I think it worried me because their exact words were “the last novel in the *Folio Bond* series”. But that confirmation above is a relief.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    My mum emailed me last night to ask which ones I have already. Christmas is coming!
  • I do hope Folio will do the Octopussy/Living Daylights book with the Property of a Lady and 007 in New York stories in. But they may not, because (as far as I know) they've stuck to the original UK 1st edition texts.
    So it may be that our complete Folio collection will have some Bond missing.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    I would guess they won't, but it would be lovely if FS tackled a continuation novel. I'd love to see a Colonel Sun release that matches their Ian Fleming books.
    I do hope Folio will do the Octopussy/Living Daylights book with the Property of a Lady and 007 in New York stories in. But they may not, because (as far as I know) they've stuck to the original UK 1st edition texts.

You may know more about this than I do, but if Folio does FYEO and OP, would that not include all of Fleming / the stories you're referring to?
    Minion wrote: »
    I would guess they won't, but it would be lovely if FS tackled a continuation novel. I'd love to see a Colonel Sun release that matches their Ian Fleming books.

I’d love to see Colonel Sun in this series too.
  • I do hope Folio will do the Octopussy/Living Daylights book with the Property of a Lady and 007 in New York stories in. But they may not, because (as far as I know) they've stuck to the original UK 1st edition texts.

You may know more about this than I do, but if Folio does FYEO and OP, would that not include all of Fleming / the stories you're referring to?

Not necessarily. The UK first edition of Octopussy and the Living Daylights, had only those two stories (Octopussy and The Living Daylights) in the book. I have the 1st edition and it is a slim volume. Reprints of the OP&TD book included the short story Property of a Lady. And even later versions included 007 in New York.
    So when Folio do the second book of short stories, if they stay true to the concept of their Fleming printings, they'll only include the two stories. And people with a complete Folio Bond collection would have two short stories missing. Property of a Lady, and 007 in New York.
    It could be argued neither are essential Fleming, (certainly the latter story), but it would be nice to have the Folio editions containing all the Fleming Bond stuff that was published in Fleming's lifetime.
    I do hope Folio will do the Octopussy/Living Daylights book with the Property of a Lady and 007 in New York stories in. But they may not, because (as far as I know) they've stuck to the original UK 1st edition texts.

Not necessarily. The UK first edition of Octopussy and the Living Daylights, had only those two stories (Octopussy and The Living Daylights) in the book. I have the 1st edition and it is a slim volume. Reprints of the OP&TD book included the short story Property of a Lady. And even later versions included 007 in New York.
    So when Folio do the second book of short stories, if they stay true to the concept of their Fleming printings, they'll only include the two stories. And people with a complete Folio Bond collection would have two short stories missing. Property of a Lady, and 007 in New York.
    It could be argued neither are essential Fleming, (certainly the latter story), but it would be nice to have the Folio editions containing all the Fleming Bond stuff that was published in Fleming's lifetime.

Interesting! Thank you!
    Santa brought me The Man With The Golden Gun this morning!

I love it. The painting opposite page 127 of Mary Goodnight (or is it …?) tied to the railway tracks is exactly how I imagined the scene when I first read the novel, forty years ago.
    I got MWTGG for Xmas and love it... possibly my least favorite Fleming book, but the illustrations are fantastic and rebound of sorts from YOLT's artwork.

A couple months a way now for FYEO... one of my favorite books, so it should be interesting to see the art choices... the cover in particular. I hope The Hildebrand Rarity gets highlighted... I can live without one for QoS.
  • PassengerPassenger Paris
    Hello 👋
    This is my first post on the forum. I’m a long time lurker but I finally decided to register.

Folio just announced their spring collection and I have to admit I’m pretty disappointed that FYEO wasn’t in the new titles.

I have been collecting these Folio editions since 2018 so it’s kind of a bummer to not have a new one to buy that time of the year.
    Hi Passenger.
    I'm a little worried there's been no mention of the short story collections from Folio. I know they've previously said they're doing all the Fleming books, but I feel there's a bit too much of a gap since the last edition.
    I'm also hoping when (and if), they do Octopussy, they'll also include the story Property of a Lady.

By the way, and this is a real long shot, I have a brand new Folio edition (still shrink-wrapped and boxed) of You Only Live Twice, that I don't need, (it was a gift, and I already have it).
    Ideally, I'd like to swap it for a Folio copy of Golden Gun or Spy Who Loved Me.

Told you it was a long shot, but no harm asking.
  • Finally picked up The Man With the Golden Gun. Love the art in this one! Lovely cover image and the scenes look like they have plenty of the villain which I always like to see (can’t believe we didn’t get to see Blofeld in his samurai armor or the garden of death in the YOLT edition at all!)
  • PassengerPassenger Paris
    Folio Society just announced they will unveil their summer collection next week:
    “The Summer Collection is nearly here! There are nine spectacular new editions to add to your shelves. From a trailblazing travel title to a science-fiction collection and a highly-anticipated continuation of a Folio series, there is something here for every reader.”

Fingers crossed we will have a new Bond 😊
    Or maybe a collection of both short stories novels in one volume?

It's hard to tell from the image.
    But fingers crossed.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    00Agent wrote: »

It's hard to tell from the image.
    But fingers crossed.

The green one is too thick to be For Your Eyes Only I'd say. It could still be one of the others though.