No Time to Die production thread

Comments

Agreed. Will be quite entertained by both, but getting Bond back to the Caribbean looks great ! Besides, if it's a DN-ish film, getting Bond to Jamaica, and meeting up with Felix Leiter there, would be quite fitting. So....might we hear Bond -- or another character -- humming a little tune ? "Underneath the Mango Tree", at some point ?
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    Since62 wrote: »
    Agreed. Will be quite entertained by both, but getting Bond back to the Caribbean looks great ! Besides, if it's a DN-ish film, getting Bond to Jamaica, and meeting up with Felix Leiter there, would be quite fitting. So....might we hear Bond -- or another character -- humming a little tune ? "Underneath the Mango Tree", at some point ?

Would be amazing to hear that! As would Vesper’s theme at the right moment… I also think a perfect end titles song would be “You Know My Name” - bring it full circle. Ahhh I’m really getting excited!
  • fadetoblack7fadetoblack7 Chicago IL
    I’m excited to see both Jamaica and Norway. It will be a cool contrast between the tropical green of The Caribbean to the northern forestry.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited June 2021 Posts: 5,834
    I'm excited for Norway, Matera, London, Jamaica, and Cuba... wait...
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Denbigh wrote: »

… Safin’s island!
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    The potential of
    Really long almost 30 minute PTS
    is what I'm extremely intrigued by. I hope it doesn't ruin the pacing. But there are so many various scenes that I'm seeing that it's gonna be odd. Unless they do it right after
    Safin meets Madeline in the past
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited June 2021 Posts: 5,834
    matt_u wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »

… Safin’s island!
    True! I think I always just mesh that with Norway.

I've said this before but I think what's reminding me of old-school James Bond with this one is the seemingly vignette-ish nature of each sequence. It's why I think Skyfall is the only other Bond film in Craig's era that had that as well.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside

Would be amazing to hear that! As would Vesper’s theme at the right moment… I also think a perfect end titles song would be “You Know My Name” - bring it full circle. Ahhh I’m really getting excited!

100% yes mate

@Last_Rat_Standing if it's an extremely long PTS, could it be like LTK or DAD? Whereby we go to the title sequence and then return to the same location after the titles. Do you think that could be possible? Might help the pacing perhaps

I would be right there with you on that except:

1. It sounds like that would work best if Bond dies at the end. In which case, it could be better used as a plaintive, instrumental, slowed down. I have read some things indicating the possibility, but I don't like it. Furthermore, if they went with an ending inspired by Fleming's YOLT, then the next film really ought to have the same actor portray Bond. Even if the next story were not TMWTGG it could still commence with scenes inspired by the novel's beginning. How can this film end ? Craig's last...it seems. They already had: Bond's loved lady dies (CR), Bond gets revenge for love-interest (QOS), M dies (SF), Bond gets to ride off into the sunset with his new loved lady (SP). As for Bond goes off to enjoy life on his own -- this film already will have that in the beginning, and it appears Bond may be getting tired of it. We also had a bit of that when, in SF, Bond got shot and disappeared for a while and chilled, as if he had died, as far as the rest of the world were concerned. I don't think we'll see Bond pass away since, for one thing, that reportedly was a source of disagreement between first chosen director, Danny Boyle, and the producers. Of course, it might have driven them apart, and yet, with another director, the producers come round to the idea. Overall, I still don't see it. It seems NTTD will have a more upbeat vibe, even if Bond and Dr. Swann are not together at the end. Perhaps Bond and Dr. Swann will not be together at the end, but she and he plan to meet up someplace if they both survive, and it gets left hanging a little ? Hmm...seems vague and uncomfortable, unless we know with certainty that Bond survives. Sorry. I'm spinning in circles.

2. Additionally, though I like CR very much, I was never a fan of the theme song. It sounded like generic rock of the day. I like it better as a musical theme throughout the rest of the movie. But that's just me. I do like idea of circularity, though, as I wrote above, the implications are unsettling.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Bringing this back. Less than 4 months!

• phantomvicesphantomvices Mother Base
    so like any guesses as to who the kid Bond is following in the released Matera sequence is? I've been thinking about what his role might be in the chase.

unknown.png

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    so like any guesses as to who the kid Bond is following in the released Matera sequence is? I've been thinking about what his role might be in the chase.

unknown.png

I bet the kid is a lookout and is present when the grave explodes. Bond spots him and gives chase, but the kid leads him to the ambush point on the bridge (the ambush is likely Plan B in the event that the explosion doesn't do its job).
    This isn't nice, but already I despise that kid who stops, looks back, and runs off just before the motorbike and car block off the two, well, more conventional paths for Bond to use.
  • QsCatQsCat London

You know my name would be great! Maybe a cover of it by Eilish..
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Even if NTTD ends on a bittersweet note, Daniel’s era should go out , as it came in , with a bang, and a banger of a song; “ You Know My Name”
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

unknown.png

I bet the kid is a lookout and is present when the grave explodes. Bond spots him and gives chase, but the kid leads him to the ambush point on the bridge (the ambush is likely Plan B in the event that the explosion doesn't do its job).

My thought was that the kid helped direct Bond from the hotel to the cemetery.
    TripAces wrote: »

unknown.png

That's pretty neat, too - and it would explain Bond's confused expression toward him on the bridge. I like it!
    TripAces wrote: »

unknown.png

That's pretty neat, too - and it would explain Bond's confused expression toward him on the bridge. I like it!

Same here. I think the smirk on the kid also hints at something sinister about him
    I love the scene.
    Am I the only one who finds the shot of Bond's run during that scene odd even a bit funny, specifically the shot from behind him. Daniel has always had a really efficient running style and here it seems all over the place
    Perhaps he's disorientated from the explosion at Vesper's grave?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited June 2021 Posts: 13,879
    Bond's eardrums have taken a blow. The sound effects gradually become louder/clearer over the duration of the clip.
    Some neat ideas here. Just hearing bond whistle “mango tree” for 3 Seconds would be incredible.
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Some neat ideas here. Just hearing bond whistle “mango tree” for 3 Seconds would be incredible.

100% I'd have goosebumps in the cinema. As daft as that probably sounds
    Also @QBranch I never noticed that mate.
    What sharp ears you've got
    QBranch wrote: »
    Bond's eardrums have taken a blow. The sound effects gradually become louder/clearer over the duration of the clip.

Good ear! I noticed that the audio started off in the clip degraded but thought that could be just a results of poor compression when it was shown on the talk show. But if Bond had just escaped from the explosion, that definitely makes perfect sense!
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Found this little gem. A rowing blog reports from the Hammersmith filming. You can see Craig and Fiennes in the middle, sitting with their backs to us

o1U1Lps.jpg

Rowing blog: The busy scene with the Bond film crew outside Furnivall Sculling Club (sited to the right of the light blue building). Auriol Kensington Rowing Club, on the far right of the picture, had its bar used as Daniel Craig’s dressing room.

MNSRqrl.jpg

On 12 July, the travelling three-ring circus that is a modern film production unit took over the riverfront along Lower Mall, Hammersmith, West London, for a day to film a scene for Bond 25 depicting a conversation outside Furnivall Sculling Club between Bond (Daniel Craig), M (Ralph Fiennes) and Bill Tanner, M’s Chief of Staff (Rory Kinnear). The director, Cary Joji Fukunaga, decided to complicate this simple scene (no explosions or car chases) by having rowing boats going past in the background. Fours, doubles and singles were crewed by members of Furnivall SC and Fulham Reach Boat Club and they spent many hours going up and down between Hammersmith Bridge and Dove Pier, trying to coordinate their appearance in shot with the actors delivering their lines.

The Port of London Authority closed the river when the cameras were running but traffic was allowed through during breaks. Unfortunately, as filming was at high tide, the backlog of craft coming through served to stir the water up just as it was time for another take. The river closure also allowed the usual strict and particular Tideway navigation rules to be suspended to better position the boats for the camera. However, each boat had a radio to receive strict instructions from the marine coordinator, so safety was maintained.

The paparazzi were also in attendance at Hammersmith and their efforts can be seen on the fan website MI6 and in an online edition of the Daily Mail (though the 12-year-old interns that produce the Mail Online think that the photographer standing on the south bank of the river opposite Hammersmith was in fact on Central London’s Southbank).

https://heartheboatsing.com/2019/07/15/bond-25-sex-snobbery-and-sadism-plus-a-bit-of-rowing/

QBranch wrote: »

Good ear! I noticed that the audio started off in the clip degraded but thought that could be just a results of poor compression when it was shown on the talk show. But if Bond had just escaped from the explosion, that definitely makes perfect sense!

I definitely think compression played a part. Even the 1080p versions of the clips look a bit fuzzy.
    Contraband wrote: »
    Found this little gem. A rowing blog reports from the Hammersmith filming. You can see Craig and Fiennes in the middle, sitting with their backs to us

o1U1Lps.jpg

Rowing blog: The busy scene with the Bond film crew outside Furnivall Sculling Club (sited to the right of the light blue building). Auriol Kensington Rowing Club, on the far right of the picture, had its bar used as Daniel Craig’s dressing room.

MNSRqrl.jpg

On 12 July, the travelling three-ring circus that is a modern film production unit took over the riverfront along Lower Mall, Hammersmith, West London, for a day to film a scene for Bond 25 depicting a conversation outside Furnivall Sculling Club between Bond (Daniel Craig), M (Ralph Fiennes) and Bill Tanner, M’s Chief of Staff (Rory Kinnear). The director, Cary Joji Fukunaga, decided to complicate this simple scene (no explosions or car chases) by having rowing boats going past in the background. Fours, doubles and singles were crewed by members of Furnivall SC and Fulham Reach Boat Club and they spent many hours going up and down between Hammersmith Bridge and Dove Pier, trying to coordinate their appearance in shot with the actors delivering their lines.

The Port of London Authority closed the river when the cameras were running but traffic was allowed through during breaks. Unfortunately, as filming was at high tide, the backlog of craft coming through served to stir the water up just as it was time for another take. The river closure also allowed the usual strict and particular Tideway navigation rules to be suspended to better position the boats for the camera. However, each boat had a radio to receive strict instructions from the marine coordinator, so safety was maintained.

The paparazzi were also in attendance at Hammersmith and their efforts can be seen on the fan website MI6 and in an online edition of the Daily Mail (though the 12-year-old interns that produce the Mail Online think that the photographer standing on the south bank of the river opposite Hammersmith was in fact on Central London’s Southbank).

https://heartheboatsing.com/2019/07/15/bond-25-sex-snobbery-and-sadism-plus-a-bit-of-rowing/

Another scene I'm extremely hyped to see. Given that it's not been in any sort of official promotional material and we haven't seen any video footage of it, I'm assuming that it will be a very pivotal scene in the movie.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Getting close to two years ago now.. :))
    edited June 2021 Posts: 469
    And while we wait, another interesting tidbit to ponder...

unknown.png

I reviewed every released trailer to date (again!) and this scene caught my eye -

This is from one of the earliest trailers, from the first round of marketing before the whole COVID fiasco.

This shot is interesting because we can clearly see Felix injured, bleeding from a chest wound and being knocked by the explosion in this shot.

However, in further promo, when we see this shot again, it is cropped. Cropped so that we cannot see the fact that it is Felix who is injured at the base of the explosion.

Just like how they cropped out the playground set from the Norway photos from a few months back, the choices they make in what they cut out often reveal some very pertinent clues about what is an important scene.

This has got me somewhat worried - are we seeing Felix die here? Recall that after the explosion, Bond is seen swimming away from the wreck. Or does Felix pay a homage to his predecessor here and come back, albeit heavily injured, and inspire Bond to return to duty to avenge him?

I'd like to see your theories here.

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Felix survives, but he loses a hand. The question is: hook, claw or prosthetics?