Quick Big Mi6 Community Bond girl Ranking Game

Comments

• Scores would be fun. Looking forward to it!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Main title sequences could also be fun.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I think a PTS ranking could be really fun to go over.
  • These are all great ideas. I'm excited to rank scores!
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Main title sequences could also be fun.

+1!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Would love to do the scores, absolutely. But, to be honest, I'm game for all the suggestions so far. All sound like fun.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @GoldenGun will just have to quit his job for us. I mean, we're not asking a lot, are we?
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »
    Villains next, please 😊

Agreed. Does the villain make the movie, or does the movie make the villain? Interesting question IMO.
  • Tertiary villains next please!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I promised a medal table, but first let's have a final look at our results:

1. Tracy
    2. Vesper
    3. Tania
    4. Domino
    5. Honey
    6. Natalya
    7. Solitaire
    8. Pam
    9. Melina
    10. Octopussy
    11. Pussy
    12. Camille
    13. Kara
    14. Anya
    15. Wai Lin
    16. Kissy
    17. Madeleine
    18. Sévérine
    19. Holly
    20. Stacey
    21. Christmas
    22. Tiffany
    23. Domino '83
    24. Mary
    25. Jinx
    26. Vesper '67

Right, so here we go with the medal table. In total 19 heroines collected at least one medal. In case of a draw, I considered how many more top 5's were received. If that didn't separate them, I went with top 10's.

Bond-girl-medal-table.jpg
    Thank you, @GoldenGun! This is very interesting, indeed.
  • I'm sad I couldn't participate in this, thanks for the medal table @GoldenGun !
    If we consider the actresses' nationalities, this would be our medal table (at the bottom our final podium):

by-country.jpg

Wow, since we see it framed that way, looking at the Top 10s, I'm surprised 3 people ranked Melina #1. And that Tania was not ranked #1 by anyone. However I'm not going to raise the ire of the Natalya defenders anymore ;) But at least Tracy finished where many of us thought she should.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited June 2021 Posts: 2,619
    Thanks again @GoldenGun.

I showed these results to my “coffee guy” before work on Friday, and he couldn’t believe that Halle Berry finished so low. I think he mumbled something about us being “idiots” or some such term. It took a while to calm him down!!!! =))

Question: By my count there were 26 participants in this game, yet the “silver metal” total only adds up to 25. Did I miss something?
    Blimey, you're right @Dwayne. One second spot for Vesper sneaked under the radar. Brings her total to 3 second places and 204 points. Luckily, that doesn't change the outcome of the contest.
    edited June 2021 Posts: 6,778
    If you folks feel like we're in for another one, feel free to send me your ranking of the film scores. Please include CR67 and NSNA, so we can have a complete overview. Eventually, you can just put them at the bottom if you dislike them.

To give everyone time enough to consider their preferences, let's say Sunday 20/6 at Midnight will be the deadline.

Cheers
    GG
    Film scores! Yes! You got it. :-) Perhaps you can set up the new thread already, GG. That may bring a few members who rarely visit this one on board too.
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 1,469
    Thanks for being willing to do the work, GoldenGun. Just checking out some of the soundtracks, and one thing I find is the progression by David Arnold from DAD to the next film CR, the soundtracks are like night and day. The DAD soundtrack to me sounds scattered and bombastic in areas, whereas the relative simplicity and subject matter of the CR storyline seemed to have inspired Arnold to much greater heights and focus. And the difference in the title theme songs, which are played upon in the soundtracks, probably play some role in this too.
  • Thrasos wrote: »
    Thanks for being willing to do the work, GoldenGun. Just checking out some of the soundtracks, and one thing I find is the progression by David Arnold from DAD to the next film CR, the soundtracks are like night and day. The DAD soundtrack to me sounds scattered and bombastic in areas, whereas the relative simplicity and subject matter of the CR storyline seemed to have inspired Arnold to much greater heights and focus. And the difference in the title theme songs, which are played upon in the soundtracks, probably play some role in this too.

I found CR's approach a bit too stripped down personally. There are lovely themes, for sure, like "I'm the Money," "Dinner Jackets," "Vesper," "City of Lovers," and "Death of Vesper" and rousing ones like "Blunt Instrument" and "The Name's Bond...James Bond," but the rest of the action and suspense cues, which make up the greater portion of the score, are Arnold's least involving work for Bond in my opinion. He really took his sound for the Craig era up a significant notch with QoS.

So as a whole, I actually find more to enjoy in DAD's score than CR's. A couple of tracks get a bit too experimental with the techno at times, but there are wonderfully lush cues ("Jinx Jordan," "Going Down Together"), bombastic fanfares ("On the Beach," "Welcome to Cuba," "Bond to Iceland"), cool beats ("Kiss of Life," "Wheelchair Access"), engaging suspense cues ("Some Kind of Hero," "Ice Spy," "It Belongs to His Boss/Double Agent"), riveting action tracks ("Jinx, James, and Genes," "Whiteout"), and marvelous themes woven throughout.

I surprised myself when I discovered that CR was my least favorite of Arnold's Bond scores given how terrific a select few of the tracks are, but there it is. I think this ranking will be particularly interesting because fans hold such diverse opinions of the series' scores.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Do we also include the title song or only the rest of the score?
    I leave everything up to @GoldenGun, but wouldn't it be more fun to keep both separated? :>
  • DarthDimi wrote: »
    I leave everything up to @GoldenGun, but wouldn't it be more fun to keep both separated? :>

It would also make more sense. Some films have quite the disparity in quality between title song and score. Not all, but some. I wouldn't even know where to begin with ranking the films in some cases if song and score were combined.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »

It would also make more sense. Some films have quite the disparity in quality between title song and score. Not all, but some. I wouldn't even know where to begin with ranking the films in some cases if song and score were combined.

Spot on, that's a great reason to keep them separate (plus, even more games for us to enjoy in the future if we do).

I agree - that being said, the integration of the title song is an important aspect of each score for me so that will likely factor in, still.
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 6,844

I agree - that being said, the integration of the title song is an important aspect of each score for me so that will likely factor in, still.

With certain films, the theme heard in the title song is also used throughout the score (Goldfinger's popping up in "Alpine Drive," A View to a Kill's in "Bond Meets Stacey," Skyfall's in "Komodo Dragon"), but then you're rating how the theme is used in the score orchestrally as opposed to its use in the title song.

With certain films, the theme heard in the title song is also used throughout the score (Goldfinger's popping up in "Alpine Drive," A View to a Kill's in "Bond Meets Stacey," Skyfall's in "Komodo Dragon"), but then you're rating how the theme is used in the score orchestrally as opposed to its use in the title song.

Yes, that's correct.
    Sure thing, folks. Let's just rate the scores and the songs separately. So only film scores for now :)
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I might sit this one out as I don't know the scores that well; the music isn't something I tend to notice much in films. But I'll be watching with interest!
  • MonsieurMerciMonsieurMerci France
    Working on it, this one needs some re-listenings. Especially for the Arnold era