Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

Ian Fleming himself tried a spinoff of sorts with TSWLM, albeit unvoluntarily: the Bond girl as the main character, a small scale crime story set in an usual (for Bond) location. Fleming himself disowned it. I liked it enough, but surely it can't be a sustainable approach for the franchise.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    There was nothing wrong with the idea for TSWLM, it just wasn’t a good book.

Any spin-off is worthwhile as long as it’s done in a way that can stand on its own without relying too much on the Bond connection.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    BT3366 wrote: »
    I go to James Bond movies because of, well, James Bond. It used to be the visits to Q and Felix popping up were added highlights. But I sure didn't miss Q or Moneypenny in CR or QoS and I wouldn't miss them in future films.

It reminds me of several years ago when a friend's wife suggested a Felix Leiter spinoff film or TV show. Even then I said it wasn't necessary because he's a fringe character and we know enough about him and couldn't see where he was any more interesting. Would a film or series consist of him and a colleague monitoring things from a base or in the field looking through binoculars before it wears him out and he needs to get back to the hotel?

Please just give us more James Bond films of high quality.

Absolutely this. All this talk of spin offs and we've only seen one Bond film in the last 9 years.
    There was nothing wrong with the idea for TSWLM, it just wasn’t a good book.

Any spin-off is worthwhile as long as it’s done in a way that can stand on its own without relying too much on the Bond connection.

But the thing is, any spinoff based on Bond would exist solely because of the Bond connection. It's not like the Marvelverse, the DCverse or the Cthulhu mytho.
    Anything can be spun-off, it just has to be strong enough on its own to be able to work. This is true of ALL successful spin-offs. I’m not just talking about Marvel/DC stuff.
    Yes, you could potentially make a spin-off with Felix Leiter, M or even Q. But it's nothing I'd want to see...
    Unless you’re just exaggerating, I highly doubt a Q and M spin off would be considered. But a Felix Leiter spin-off? I’d be down. I’d even have even accepted a Wai Lin spin off with Michele Yeoh.

I doubt most of you wouldn’t be curious enough to check it out if they had good word of mouth.
    Unless you’re just exaggerating, I highly doubt a Q and M spin off would be considered. But a Felix Leiter spin-off? I’d be down. I’d even have even accepted a Wai Lin spin off with Michele Yeoh.

I doubt most of you wouldn’t be curious enough to check it out if they had good word of mouth.

What does Felix Leiter or Wai Lin do that James Bond doesn't? What do they have that is lacking in Bond and that is worth developing and exploring? What kind of stories they are more suitable to star in than Bond?
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Maybe I'm wrong and it could be made interesting, but I can't conceive of a point to any spinoff.

I mean, Bond is barely a character. Bond movies are mostly about an aesthetic, I'd say. There's not all that much going on with James Bond, and even less with Felix or M. You could certainly make a 20 episode series about Felix or whoever, but you'd have to basically build that character from the ground up, and you'd just be labeling him as the guy who makes brief appearances in a rather more shallow film series with a very different aesthetic. What would be the point?

Would I watch though? Of course. Well, I'd at least start it.
    Ludovico wrote: »

What does Felix Leiter or Wai Lin do that James Bond doesn't? What do they have that is lacking in Bond and that is worth developing and exploring? What kind of stories they are more suitable to star in than Bond?

Find out when they make them.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited June 2021 Posts: 17,804
    jobo wrote: »
    Yes, you could potentially make a spin-off with Felix Leiter, M or even Q. But it's nothing I'd want to see...

The thing is we've already had a Leiter spin off with the James Bond: Felix Leiter six part Dynamite comic from 2017. I know that wasn't a film or TV spin-off but it's a start. Though I've not read it, judging by the reviews it didn't exactly set the world alight which would be something that would concern me in terms of the level of interest any proposed screen Leiter spin-off would attain, never mind any of the other peripheral Bond universe characters.

I think such attempts at diversifying and expanding the Bond universe should be left to the literary sphere alone as less stands to be lost than risking the potential flop of a spin-off TV series or film. In truth even in the literary Bond sphere I'd prefer them to just focus on Bond exclusively as he's the reason we're all here and the reason we're fans. Why mess with a formula after all of these years that clearly works fine? On top of all of that there's the usual old chestnut of Eon barely being able to produce a new Bond film so it doesn't exaxtly need the distraction of producing a Bond spin-off that they're not even sure anyone wants or needs. Eon under Barbara Broccoli is already diversifying enough into other non-Bond films and side projects as it is. It'd be much better for them to stick to what they know and that which is tried and tested now over almost six decades. I can't see them wavering from that position on the Bond spin-off front to be honest when there are other less financially risky avenues such as expanding the Bond universe via comics or continuation novels.

That's a bit of a cop out isn't it? "Well, it's possible." What do they have that would make a spinoff sustainable? You're telling us they are, in effect, breakthrough characters. How?

That's a bit of a cop out isn't it? "Well, it's possible." What do they have that would make a spinoff sustainable? You're telling us they are, in effect, breakthrough characters. How?

They must have to have something about them that hitherto we've not seen over the last 60 years in the Bond films. If people say that James Bond himself hasn't much by way of character (something I disagree with actually, especially when it comes to the Fleming novels and short stories and some of the Continuations) then what hope is there for other characters who are very much peripheral to the action and plot? That's the perception from the audience that has to be overcome and I don't see that as being possible, short of a compete refit of the characters. If you have to rewrite the characters to give them more gravitas then what's the point of the thing? It all goes to show that Fleming only intended them to be more peripheral characters and we shouldn't be messing with that. James Bond should always be the focus and the main attraction. Anything else than that just gets in the way of the Bond story and legend that is approaching its 70th anniversary in another two years.
    Such negativity ! It would prevent many a great story from being told. The estate found it worthwhile to have several writers subsequent to Fleming write novels. Some are set within the timeframe of Fleming's stories, at least one prior, and some subsequent. Three Miss Moneypenny books, too. Additionally, there are Young Bond novels set in period, covering a number of years in Bond's youth. Bond is the primary character in all but the Moneypenny novels. So, for those among you who would tell the folks making the productions that they should ONLY MAKE STORIES IN WHICH JAMES BOND IS THE PRIMARY CHARACTER BECAUSE NOTHING ELSE COULD POSSIBLE BE WORTHWHILE !!!!!! there are a number of stories yet untold, which could provide for additional JAMES BOND productions, in addition to the movies depicting Bond in scripts written anew and set in the present time period.
    Since62 wrote: »
    Such negativity ! It would prevent many a great story from being told. The estate found it worthwhile to have several writers subsequent to Fleming write novels. Some are set within the timeframe of Fleming's stories, at least one prior, and some subsequent. Three Miss Moneypenny books, too. Additionally, there are Young Bond novels set in period, covering a number of years in Bond's youth. Bond is the primary character in all but the Moneypenny novels. So, for those among you who would tell the folks making the productions that they should ONLY MAKE STORIES IN WHICH JAMES BOND IS THE PRIMARY CHARACTER BECAUSE NOTHING ELSE COULD POSSIBLE BE WORTHWHILE !!!!!! there are a number of stories yet untold, which could provide for additional JAMES BOND productions, in addition to the movies depicting Bond in scripts written anew and set in the present time period.

It's not really negativity though, is it? It's more cold, hard, uncynical realism. If I thought Bond spin-offs were a good idea I'd get behind them. I don't and that's not being negative about Bond. I just don't think that spin-offs are a good idea. Sure, other franchises can have them but it doesn't seem to be Eon's bag. They have no history of it, despite rumours of a planned Jinx spin-off after DAD which thankfully never came to pass. Such spin-offs would surely only lead to the dissolution and delay of new Bond films and that's something I'm sure no Bond fan worth his salt wants to see. You raise the point about the diversity involved in the Bond continuation novels, Young Bond and the Moneypenny Diaries. Do you notice that apart from the last one of those mentioned they all have James Bond as the central character. They're also all literary Bond projects and not film or TV ones so that tallies with my point above about it being the best arena to develop such spin-off projects if there is a need for them at all. It doesn't actually help your argument, whatever it is, unless you're actually subconsciously agreeing with me!
    And there's a simple, prosaic reason why the Fleming estate commission fanfics, error, I mean continuations: £££££££. Comic books, continuations, prequels, spinoff are easier and quicker to produce than a Bond film. You can make a quick buck with them, but create a full movieverse? Please.
    And there's a simple, prosaic reason why the Fleming estate commission fanfics, error, I mean continuations: £££££££. Comic books, continuations, prequels, spinoff are easier and quicker to produce than a Bond film. You can make a quick buck with them, but create a full movieverse? Please.

Not all of them are at fanfic level though. Kingsley Amis, for one example, would have been incapable of ever writing anything even approaching "fanfic". Some of them are pretty good too. Well worth a read. We can't really begrudge Fleming's widow Ann and young son Caspar the money from the continuation project as it was a source of income for them and helped see them through at the time. As well as the more base desire for more cash for the Fleming Estate, Amis's Colonel Sun (1968) was Glidrose's response to the unauthorised "Bond" novels that were popping up at the time behind the Iron Curtain. It was all part of a strategy to extend the literary copyright in the James Bond character. An official continuation Bond novel was seen as the best way to suppress the attention the unofficial novels were receiving, along with using legal means to make the publishers cease and desist breaching Fleming's copyright in the Bond character.

Of course money was at the bottom of it all but the desire to extend the copyright was as much a part of Glidrose's plan which included a series of official continuation Bond novels by different authors under the umbrella pseudonym of Robert Markham. Of course that never came to pass at the time beyond the release of Colonel Sun but it set in motion the idea of a series of Bond continuation novels. The idea was later returned to with the John Gardner Bond novels that started to appear from 1981 onwards and has been carried on by various authors since to varying degrees of critical and commercial success. As you say continuation novels and the like are much easier to produce more regularly and are much less high risk in terms of investment than would be a spin-off TV series or film. That is why, in my view, any spin-offs will remain within the realm of the literary Bond and IFP. Eon understandably have bigger fish to fry.
    Well you know my opinion on continuations and spinoffs @Dragonpol . But in the end, Bond is a "closed" universe where everything is centered around him. Marvel, DC, the Arthurian Legend and the Cthulhu mythos are "open" unicerses, with lots and lots of characters that stand easily on their own and a lot of canonical source material to work from. So you can easily create spinoffs, prequels, sequels, teamups, crossovers, what have you.

On a side note, I'm all for a King Arthur's cinematic universe. I've been wanting one since I watched Excalibur as a child.
    On a side note, I'm all for a King Arthur's cinematic universe. I've been wanting one since I watched Excalibur as a child.

I would even settle for a good Arthurian film, though a trilogy would be better. The only truly good Arthurian films are Excalibur, Perceval, and Lancelot of the Lake.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    What about King Arthur and First Knight?

Just joking. ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Just joking. ;-)

Ah well, it's not actually bad, just mediocre, and seeing Connery as King Arthur was worth the price of admission. What other actor could so authoritatively play mythic figures--King Arthur, Robin Hood, James Bond, Agamemnon, Hotspur, and the Green Night?
    Revelator wrote: »

Just joking. ;-)

Ah well, it's not actually bad, just mediocre, and seeing Connery as King Arthur was worth the price of admission. What other actor could so authoritatively play mythic figures--King Arthur, Robin Hood, James Bond, Agamemnon, Hotspur, and the Green Night?

Sean Connery or not, First Knight was terrible. Sean Connery was the right actor for King Arthur, but to write the character as a geriatric bachelor was stupid. As for Richard Gere, the less said the better.
    And what about the film King Arthur, starring Clive Owen? ;-)

The hook would be in casting (which is why I would have been open to Wai Lin, because Michelle Yoeh IS awesome enough to carry her own actin franchise). There’s several spin-offs out there that actually do a substantial job of standing on their own without relying too much on where they originated. For example, when Frasier got his own spin-off series after Cheers, the first thing the creators did was move him as far away from Boston as possible, get rid of the wife and kid, and present an entirely new cast dynamic that effectively made Frasier a different character from the one seen in Cheers. Treat Leiter no differently, put him in a setting that is completely unique from what we expect out of a Bond film. The only real connection is that an actor that played Leiter in one of the Bond films, but he’d have to be an actor who has the ability to carry an audience. I think the closest any of the past Leiters we had that could have had a potential spin-off series was Jack Lord.

I do think if one should set up a Leiter spin-off, the smartest thing to do would be to assume it’s the only film he’ll ever get. Don’t leave too many threads, just focus on making a solid standalone story.
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 14,825

Don't get me started. Oh and if I can buy Sean Connery as King Arthur, I certainly can't buy Clive Owen in the same role. Kind of like my opinion on him as a potential Bond, actually.

Don't get me started. Oh and if I can buy Sean Connery as King Arthur, I certainly can't buy Clive Owen in the same role. Kind of like my opinion on him as a potential Bond, actually.

I was confused by Keira's role at the time. Was she Guinnevere? I couldn't make sense out of her. Stellan was enjoyable, though. Zimmer's score was pretty good. But this so-called more historically accurate take on the Arthurian legend left a sour taste in my mouth.
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 14,825

I was confused by Keira's role at the time. Was she Guinnevere? I couldn't make sense out of her. Stellan was enjoyable, though. Zimmer's score was pretty good. But this so-called more historically accurate take on the Arthurian legend left a sour taste in my mouth.

Maybe it's for another thread, but it's downright fraudulent to call it "historically accurate". Arthur as a Roman soldier? Gueneveer as a warrior? And why have Lancelot there? He was a late addition to the Arthurian Legend!

Anyway, back on topic, sort of: I'm all for a movieverse of the Arthurian Legend, with a trilogy on King Arthur, independent series with Lancelot, Percival and Gawain, among others. And with a prequel series based on the Historia Regum Brittaniae. But I see no interest in Bond spinoffs. If people want a spinoff, they should read TSWLM. It's pretty much what it is: the story of a Bond girl, through her eyes, in her own voice.
    Mallory’ s original book, Mort d’Arthur, is basically a multiverse anyway. Because it’s not just about Arthur. It’s got the stories of all the other knights of the round table too. Mort d’Arthur is the Elizabethan equivalent of a -verse, with the different knights as different superheroes, IMO. (Though it has been over thirty years since I studied it at college.)

Back on topic, I hate the idea of a multiverse for Bond. Absolutely hate it.

There’s only one character, just one, in the films that I would like to have seen a bit more of, and that was the Apollo airways stewardess in MR. “Any higher, Mr Bond, and my ears will pop.”

They should have made a hundred films about her ... ah well
    OK but once again -- Young Bond would be about -- yup -- James Bond. The post-Fleming Bonds would be about --- Bond. The YB are set in period, because they lead up to Bond at WWII and agent age. Some of the post-Fleming Bonds are set in earlier times in Bond's career -- or were written so long ago they'd now be period (late 60s, Colonel Sun). So, they'd be all Bond.
    Mallory’ s original book, Mort d’Arthur, is basically a multiverse anyway. Because it’s not just about Arthur. It’s got the stories of all the other knights of the round table too. Mort d’Arthur is the Elizabethan equivalent of a -verse, with the different knights as different superheroes, IMO. (Though it has been over thirty years since I studied it at college.)

Back on topic, I hate the idea of a multiverse for Bond. Absolutely hate it.

There’s only one character, just one, in the films that I would like to have seen a bit more of, and that was the Apollo airways stewardess in MR. “Any higher, Mr Bond, and my ears will pop.”

They should have made a hundred films about her ... ah well

This dates back way before the Elizabethan era.