Feedback and Suggestions V2

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I trust everyone was thinking on their sins during the downtime.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Just wanted to give a word of praise to the quote conversation thread. It's always fun, I regard it as my " Bond sudoku ". Having to try and come up with a response that will obviously fit as a conversation but hopefully be a little humorous. Given the laughs I've had on it, I think many of the contributors think the same way , so a hearty well done to all =D>
    Just wanted to give a word of praise to the quote conversation thread. It's always fun, I regard it as my " Bond sudoku ". Having to try and come up with a response that will obviously fit as a conversation but hopefully be a little humorous. Given the laughs I've had on it, I think many of the contributors think the same way , so a hearty well done to all =D>
    "We aim to please"
    @mattjoes I knew Mi6 is an organisation that does not accept failure ! ;)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    When it becomes too challenging to take the conversation in a new direction, you can just revert back to the classic sexual innuendo.
    @QBranch Can't beat some classic innuendo. :D
    Lots of spammers on here today and I'm getting a ton of spam on my name page.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited June 2021 Posts: 17,728
    Thrasos wrote: »
    Lots of spammers on here today and I'm getting a ton of spam on my name page.

Yes, 77 members (and counting) have joined in the last short while which is very unusual. I expect it's an invasion of bots posting links to their stupid and useless websites.
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 1,469
    Thanks for your reply. I'm guessing we members can do nothing except flag posts. I can't find a way to get the stuff off my activity page but I spose once the bots are purged from the site that will disappear.
    Thrasos wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. I'm guessing we members can do nothing except flag posts. I can't find a way to get the stuff off my activity page but I spose once these fembots are purged from the site that will disappear.

I'm just an ordinary member too of course. Only the mods and admins can remove these types of spam posts on the Activity page and ban the bot accounts that make them. I'm sure they'll attend to it as soon as they can.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Been working all day so haven't noticed this until now. I'm working on deleting the accounts, everybody, thanks for the heads up.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Been working all day so haven't noticed this until now. I'm working on deleting the accounts, everybody, thanks for the heads up.

Thanks, @Creasy47. We appreciate that mods have a life to live outside of the forum too, of course. It's really only popped up in the last few hours anyway. Good luck with your work in clearing up the bots and thanks for keeping our community tidy and safe. :)
    Barring any overlooked profiles (and only including ones who were foolish enough to post on the Activity Page), they've been taken care of.

And no problem, @Dragonpol, thanks for the support. I don't check the Activity Page as often as I should but today's chaos clearly demonstrates I should be.
    edited June 2021 Posts: 17,728
    Barring any overlooked profiles (and only including ones who were foolish enough to post on the Activity Page), they've been taken care of.

And no problem, @Dragonpol, thanks for the support. I don't check the Activity Page as often as I should but today's chaos clearly demonstrates I should be.

Thank you, @Creasy47. That's good to know it's "all wrapped up." ;)

I do look at the Activity page daily as I often post little messages on some members profiles. Any ne'er-do-wells can usually be spotted there first when they join up before they wreak havoc on the forum proper.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Stunning job in taking care of all those bots @Creasy47 By my count you took care of 46 of them in a row!
    Many thanks as always for those who flag and alert us to the spammers, bots and trolls. We don’t always see them, though we do check the activity page regularly. Please don’t engage with these troublesome members. Commenting in the activity page or on the forum only makes clearing up their mess harder.
    Thank you all, and thanks again.
    Spammers have started to appear on the Activity page again, just now. 189 of them.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I’m deleting any with links as fast as I can.
    But thanks for the heads up.
    edited June 2021 Posts: 40,372
    Yes, thanks for the heads up yet again, everyone, seems they're piling on quickly this morning again.
    I don't think I've never before in all my time here seen an influx of bots like this. By my counting there's been about 500 of them joined over the last day. The problem is there's no way to reason with them as they seem to be spambots sent en masse to spam the forum. Hopefully it'll all come to an end before too long.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I don't think I've never before in all my time here seen an influx of bots like this. By my counting there's been about 500 of them joined over the last day. The problem is there's no way to reason with them as they seem to be spambots sent en masse to spam the forum. Hopefully it'll all come to an end before too long.

It's seemingly all by one (or a few) people, as they have similar e-mail address extensions. Not much we can do on the moderating end aside from banning them once they join. Annoying but it's the best we can manage.

It's seemingly all by one (or a few) people, as they have similar e-mail address extensions. Not much we can do on the moderating end aside from banning them once they join. Annoying but it's the best we can manage.

Yes, I was reading up a little on spambots earlier and that must be how they get past the unique email address requirement when joining up. It's obviously a quicker method that setting up hundreds of individual email addresses. Hopefully whoever controls them will get fed up with all of their accounts being banned and move on to wreak havoc on another site.
    It'd be nice if there was some mini questionnaire you had to fill out upon joining, with basic, simple questions any fan would know. Facebook Groups work that way, definitely helps cut down on the BS and bots.

I'm deleting one or two a minute now, it seems, so hopefully they grow tired eventually.
  • Is there a way to stop new members from joining or is that at the admin level?
    Is there a way to stop new members from joining or is that at the admin level?

That's up to the admins.

The problem with that is it'd stop genuine Bond fans from joining up here too. We always need new blood to secure the future of the forum. I like @Creasy47's suggestion of having a Bond questionnaire before joining. That might stop some of these type of spambots from joining in the first place. Something for the admins to consider maybe?

The problem with that is it'd stop genuine Bond fans from joining up here too. We always need new blood to secure the future of the forum. I like @Creasy47's suggestion of having a Bond questionnaire before joining. That might stop some of these type of spambots from joining in the first place. Something for the admins to consider maybe?

Considering the admins aren't on here daily, I think it'd be best to put that sort of control in the hands of mods. That way, anytime we're on, we can sift through new additions and accept them accordingly. It's better than us having to delete new bots every minute or so, anyway.

Considering the admins aren't on here daily, I think it'd be best to put that sort of control in the hands of mods. That way, anytime we're on, we can sift through new additions and accept them accordingly. It's better than us having to delete new bots every minute or so, anyway.

Yes, that sounds like a good practical solution to the problem these annoying spambots present. Hopefully such a change can be introduced to reduce the workload of the mods having to delete spamming account individually.
  • Dragonpol wrote: »

I was thinking just temporarily, until the bot attack is over, seems there are hundreds of them!
    Bandai%2BBattle%2BDroid%2B%2526%2BSTAP%2B%25281%2529.png

I was thinking just temporarily, until the bot attack is over, seems there are hundreds of them!
    Bandai%2BBattle%2BDroid%2B%2526%2BSTAP%2B%25281%2529.png

Yes, I was thinking that's probably what you meant after I posted that. Hopefully it won't come to that. If it gets any worse we may have to raise a militia to help fight off the hordes of bots.
    I take it these spambots are clever enough to pass the Captcha 'I am not a bot' test when signing up?
    Benny wrote: »
    I’m deleting any with links as fast as I can.
    But thanks for the heads up.
    Was it painful? Banning those spammers who selected Octopussy as their favourite Bond film?