Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2021 Posts: 14,948
    Oh I quite like it as a title, it's snappy and silly, just as it should be.

But I'm not 100% convinced this leak is real just yet- the twitter account it has come from seems to have appeared out of nowhere a bit. The image of Die Glocke is also pretty much the same design as seen all over the net, which seems a bit rum.
    mtm wrote: »
    These could be fake but they do look fairly convincing.

Could we get a title announcement on Saturday?

These are very fake.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    They're a bit... convenient, aren't they?

I don't think it's impossible that they're real but I wouldn't call banco on it.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited June 2021 Posts: 5,869
    Also, I just want them to be fake for the sake of production. They've already had quite a few leaked set pics, this would be the gut punch I think.
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 121

I don't think it's impossible that they're real but I wouldn't call banco on it.
    As it was pointed out on twitter, one of the art on the display is from this page: https://magnus_peccatori.artstation.com/projects/qA8Oy2

All of those images are very likely from the internet, and the one with Mikkelsen wearing a Nazi uniform a quick photoshop creation.

The worst thing is that the attention seeking person who created these will likely create fake leaks again.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Here is that image of Die Glocke as featured on that board: I guess it's possible they use online images on their mood board, but it doesn't make this look more real.
    https://magnus_peccatori.artstation.com/projects/qA8Oy2
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Mr_Beach wrote: »

As it was pointed out on twitter, one of the art on the display is from this page: https://magnus_peccatori.artstation.com/projects/qA8Oy2

All of those images are very likely from the internet, and the one with Mikkelsen wearing a Nazi uniform a quick photoshop creation.

The worst thing is that the attention seeking person who created these will likely create fake leaks again.

If it's photoshopped I would say it's a damned good job, that's the only thing. And the photo is even hi res, which is a gamble for a faker. What puts me off is the blue glow on the Glocke: I'm not sure it would print out like that- things like that tend to only work in RGB onscreen. And obviously the story about it 'deleted from Reddit' sets alarm bells ringing.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Maybe even Disney thought they were real haha
    anyone else remember seeing Raiders at the cinema in 81? Unforgettable.

Absolutely. Back then, there wasn't a whole lot of buzz, at least where I was. Here in the U.S. we basically had Starlog Magazine to keep us up to date with genre stuff and I was focused on any scrap of FYEO info I could get, so Raiders slipped in. I can't recall any real preview coverage of it in that publication, mostly Superman II and such. I got my first glance at Raiders with an article through the old Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine and knew I had to see it.

A family friend took me and my brother to a Saturday afternoon showing and it exceeded any expectations I had. You came away knowing the bar on action films had just been raised to a new level. That may be partially why I didn't take to FYEO as much.

It was that kind of experience.
  • Like it if true. Let's hope we get to see Indy kill lots of Nazis.
    Oh I quite like it as a title, it's snappy and silly, just as it should be.

But I'm not 100% convinced this leak is real just yet- the twitter account it has come from seems to have appeared out of nowhere a bit. The image of Die Glocke is also pretty much the same design as seen all over the net, which seems a bit rum.

I like the title as well. If INDIANA JONES AND THE EMPIRE OF EVIL were announced as the title, I'd more more than happy.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I think as with everything like this, when the title for the final Indy movie is unveiled, we'll be a bit underwhelmed. It won't be an incredible title, it'll just be a title.
    If they called it 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' and we'd never heard that before we'd all be going 'huh? 'Ark'? What does that mean? How are they raiding it?' and picking it apart until it disintegrates.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I don't know. Empire of Evil just feels like you could attach it to anything, probably even another Jones film. I prefer when the title is less easily swappable.
    Outside of Nazis in a flashback sequence I can't see them being a big threat in the film that's set in the 1960s in NYC and Scotland.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I read and heard a few reports of worm holes featuring in Indy 5 and Time travel may be involved, probably fan speculation going a bit too far.
    oh fudge...Indy films always had some fantastical elements, but -- worm holes ? time travel ? Ugh.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited June 2021 Posts: 5,869
    I imagine time travel might have come from someone trying to explain the Nazi set photos.
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 440

The second picture looked potnetially believable but given that the first is 100% photoshopped, the whole thing is undoubtedly a fake.

That man in front of the title, has been cut out of a photo and placed into this one, and the whole image has had a fake-looking filter placed over it to make it look like it was taken secretly with a phone.

Also, very unlikely that this movie will have the Disney logo so prominently featured as none of the SW films did, and those are fully owned by Disney which Indiana Jones is not.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Could the Empire of Evil be a Joke about the Disney Corporation ? ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

The second picture looked potnetially believable but given that the first is 100% photoshopped, the whole thing is undoubtedly a fake.

That man in front of the title, has been cut out of a photo and placed into this one, and the whole image has had a fake-looking filter placed over it to make it look like it was taken secretly with a phone.

I do a lot of photoshop work, and if that is a blur effect it's very well done and quite restrained. I'm not saying it's definitely real, but it's not fake-looking and that's a good piece of work if it is 'shopped.

Here is a logo which popped up somewhere today and instantly gives itself away as being a non-professional effort:

0c1d28ba163b610c8b18d526b2f296c7.jpg
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 121
    Remember that very crazy rumour from many months ago that Brad Pitt will be in the film? Well, Brad Pitt is rumoured to be in the Newcastle area next week. (Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/indianajones/comments/nwwmhk/television_report_this_morning_by_bbc_breakfast/from 1:24)

His movie Bullet Train is already in post-production, the movie Lost City of D is being filmed in the Dominican Republic (and Brad only has a mall role in it) and Babylon will be filmed in LA. Now, I am not saying Brad will be in Indy 5, but it would be kind of crazy if he was.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That's funny, years ago I sort of imagined an Indy story where there's a younger, upcoming archaeologist wanting to steal Indy's thunder and I kind of had Pitt down for that in my mind (although calling him young and upcoming would probably be a bit kind now! :D )

I like the guy who has decided very specifically that Ford is in his top six actors ever. Not top three, not top five: top six :D

I do a lot of photoshop work, and if that is a blur effect it's very well done and quite restrained. I'm not saying it's definitely real, but it's not fake-looking and that's a good piece of work if it is 'shopped.

Maybe it's my imagination, but there's just something about that first image that just screams fake to me. I'm not entirely sure why.

On reflection, I think it's less that the whole blur looks fake, and more so that the whole area around the man's arm and the square featuring the film's title looks as if someone pasted that picture into the image.

Then tried to blur it to match but didn't quite get it right.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The cut out of the guy looks very good to me (if that is what it is). I maybe would have added some grain on the title image. I also wouldn't have uploaded them at full size if I wanted to hide any fakery, which is what these are.
    The cut out of the guy looks very good to me (if that is what it is). I maybe would have added some grain on the title image. I also wouldn't have uploaded them at full size if I wanted to hide any fakery, which is what these are.

Yeah, I'm now 50-50 about whether he's a cut out or not, but there is certainly something wonky going on around his arm and the area with the title.

You're right about uploading it to Twitter in HQ. The real trick would be to upload them to somewhere like 4chan in extremely low quality, then let them leak by themselves.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    It might be due to the bad editing of the logo behind him as opposed to him being also photoshopped.
    OK this may sound waaaay too specific, but I am approaching this with catchiness in mind, and ease of pronunciation in mind just as much as other aspects. My comments are limited to the title in English. I am not saying I do or do not think the title will be "Indiana Jones and the Empire of Evil." For all I know, they may wish to go back to a title, as with Raiders of the Lost Ark, which does not start with "Indiana Jones and" -- a consideration since this would likely be Harrison Ford's last film as Indy. I think you will find my observations would apply to many titles, and "IJAT Empire of Evil" may be considered here simply as an example, which illustrates my observations.

In no particular order:

1. As I enunciate it, it isn't bad, but I think it would roll off the tongue more easily were the first letter of the next word after "Indiana Jones and the" to be a consonant. With this title, one goes from the vowel "e" in "the" to the vowel "E" in "Empire." Try it with a word beginning with a consonant, following the vowel ending of "the" and you may, like me, find it more poetic and easy to state. For example: Indiana Jones and the Town of Evil. "Town" would be ridiculous, and I use it here only to demonstrate what I mean about going from a vowel to a consonant. This worked well in the prior three titles, which included these wording sequences, with consonants following the vowel "e" in the word "the": the Temple, the Last, the Kingdom

2.Short and direct works well. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls is not merely too many words -- it has too many syllables. In this regard, IJATEOE -- whether used or not -- is an example of keeping it brief and punch.

You may have noticed that when Raiders of the Lost Ark (6 syllables) is changed to Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark -- a ridiculous thing done in some marketing -- it becomes QUITE a mouthful, at 13 syllables.

For the same of completeness:
    Raiders... 6 syllables
    Temple 11 syllables
    Crusade 10 syllables
    Skull 14 syllables
    Were it used, IJAT Empire of Evil would have 12 syllables
    For those who like this title -- though it seems it will not be the subject of the upcoming film -- Indiana Jones and the Lost City of Atlantis is rather long, at 14 syllables. One might consider, for example, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis to get to the same story, with a briefer title (12 syllables).

How about this for my bottom line --- longer titles do not work as well as briefer ones.

3.Alliteration works nicely. This title -- whether used or not -- has that poetic effect, despite the vowel-to-vowel criticism in Number 1, above. Between the two, I think the observation in Number 1, above, matters more.
    Since62 wrote: »
    OK this may sound waaaay too specific, but I am approaching this with catchiness in mind, and ease of pronunciation in mind just as much as other aspects. My comments are limited to the title in English. I am not saying I do or do not think the title will be "Indiana Jones and the Empire of Evil." For all I know, they may wish to go back to a title, as with Raiders of the Lost Ark, which does not start with "Indiana Jones and" -- a consideration since this would likely be Harrison Ford's last film as Indy. I think you will find my observations would apply to many titles, and "IJAT Empire of Evil" may be considered here simply as an example, which illustrates my observations.

In no particular order:

1. As I enunciate it, it isn't bad, but I think it would roll off the tongue more easily were the first letter of the next word after "Indiana Jones and the" to be a consonant. With this title, one goes from the vowel "e" in "the" to the vowel "E" in "Empire." Try it with a word beginning with a consonant, following the vowel ending of "the" and you may, like me, find it more poetic and easy to state. For example: Indiana Jones and the Town of Evil. "Town" would be ridiculous, and I use it here only to demonstrate what I mean about going from a vowel to a consonant. This worked well in the prior three titles, which included these wording sequences, with consonants following the vowel "e" in the word "the": the Temple, the Last, the Kingdom

2.Short and direct works well. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls is not merely too many words -- it has too many syllables. In this regard, IJATEOE -- whether used or not -- is an example of keeping it brief and punch.

You may have noticed that when Raiders of the Lost Ark (6 syllables) is changed to Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark -- a ridiculous thing done in some marketing -- it becomes QUITE a mouthful, at 13 syllables.

For the same of completeness:
    Raiders... 6 syllables
    Temple 11 syllables
    Crusade 10 syllables
    Skull 14 syllables
    Were it used, IJAT Empire of Evil would have 12 syllables
    For those who like this title -- though it seems it will not be the subject of the upcoming film -- Indiana Jones and the Lost City of Atlantis is rather long, at 14 syllables. One might consider, for example, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis to get to the same story, with a briefer title (12 syllables).

How about this for my bottom line --- longer titles do not work as well as briefer ones.

3.Alliteration works nicely. This title -- whether used or not -- has that poetic effect, despite the vowel-to-vowel criticism in Number 1, above. Between the two, I think the observation in Number 1, above, matters more.

I love forums like this just so people like me can geek out and write these kinds of posts! This is so fun. I agree that shorter is better, and alliteration usually makes things catchier. I would be quite thrilled if the title were INDIANA JONES AND THE EMPIRE OF EVIL. Short, simple, easily remembered and rolls off the tongue.

I also agree with @mtm that no title is ever going to please everyone. I just watched some behind the scenes footage of ROTLA the other day and Spielberg himself said, "We had no idea the film would be this popular. We were just making a B-movie with a really silly title."
    These could be fake but they do look fairly convincing.

Looks like Mads Mikkelsen is wearing a nazi uniform. Nice one if it truly is fake.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Ford looks great in those "candid" shots. Call me cynical, but I think that a publicist is wisely getting these photos out to counter the "he's too old" voices.

If so, it's a great move.