Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

• Whatever they are I hope they use the real thing again this time.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I wouldn't mind some sharks or crocodiles- they feel the sort of thing he should have some trouble with! :)
    Hornets are good though, I like that.
  • Maybe something really gross like maggots or some kind of worm
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited June 2021 Posts: 5,869
    Not a casting announcement just to clarify.

• anyone else remember seeing Raiders at the cinema in 81? Unforgettable.
    mtm wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind some sharks or crocodiles- they feel the sort of thing he should have some trouble with! :)
    Hornets are good though, I like that.

Crocodiles is a very good idea, too! I had never thought of that.
    Truly an exciting move, as were the following two. There were plenty of action movies at the time, but none like Raiders ! It sure brought on a lot of copycats, too. Recall TV's (I think ABC) Tales of the Gold Monkey ?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2021 Posts: 14,951
    Seems like Toby Jones may have joined the cast, but that's kind of not surprising really! :)

Thanks for that: a bit of an instant turnoff when he says he's going to ignore a quarter of the set though, that's not really a review. Also I'm not sure my BRs ever looked as red as his ones seem to.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Seems like Toby Jones may have joined the cast, but that's kind of not surprising really! :)

Thanks for that: a bit of an instant turnoff when he says he's going to ignore a quarter of the set though, that's not really a review. Also I'm not sure my BRs ever looked as red as his ones seem to.

I thought it was a good review, the comments on the packaging is what I was fearing. Regarding KOTCS as the film is relatively modern and the film is terrible I was not that interested in the upscale of the film personally though I appreciate some would be... Its all about the Original Trilogy for me.

I will likely get the steel book Indy set now, also I want that Rambo 4K set that looked fantastic.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I thought it was a good review, the comments on the packaging is what I was fearing. Regarding KOTCS as the film is relatively modern and the film is terrible I was not that interested in the upscale of the film personally though I appreciate some would be... Its all about the Original Trilogy for me.

I'm really interested in the changes they've made to Skull: it seems pretty stupid of him to do a review about picture quality changes and just ignore the image improvements on one of them.

I'm really interested in the changes they've made to Skull: it seems pretty stupid of him to do a review about picture quality changes and just ignore the image improvements on one of them.

Once its easier for reviewers to get hold of the set, I am sure another reviewer will do a extensive look at KOTCS.
    @mtm This website has some good comparisons between the 2008 release of KOTCS and the new version. Much improved in my view, as it tones down at least some of sepia colour grading.

I don't remember where I read it, but I distinctly recall someone involved with the post-production saying that the blown-out golden look was decided upon after filming was completed and not before.

g1CGNLo.jpg
    uwMEI3H.jpg
    vKeLihK.jpg
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    MYB6HOP.jpg
  • He looks in better shape than Craig!
    Regarding the new 4K Transfers, Wow! Can't wait to watch these new versions, and happy they fixed the colour timing on KotCS.
  • Just heard the rumour of Toby Jones. Great news if true. He played a Nazi scientist, Zola.. in Captain America.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I can imagine him playing more of the Brody role :)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Once its easier for reviewers to get hold of the set, I am sure another reviewer will do a extensive look at KOTCS.

Well it's on sale now :D
    @mtm This website has some good comparisons between the 2008 release of KOTCS and the new version. Much improved in my view, as it tones down at least some of sepia colour grading.

I don't remember where I read it, but I distinctly recall someone involved with the post-production saying that the blown-out golden look was decided upon after filming was completed and not before.

Thanks: yes indeed, I saw those (among others) on this website this morning and that's why I think it's interesting: it's a totally new version of this film.
    Exciting images from North Yorkshire emerging. Indy in German uniform riding a motorbike and side car and a nazi train

They also filmed at bambirgh castle which looks like it is doubling for a German prison, something like Colditz

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9657127/Indiana-Jones-5-shoots-scenes-dead-night-North-Yorkshire-Moors.html

Well it's on sale now :D

Thanks: yes indeed, I saw those (among others) on this website this morning and that's why I think it's interesting: it's a totally new version of this film.

I think it really shows the difference between color grading that's decided upon before filming has started and one that's been chosen in post-production.

The 2008 one often is totally at odds with the lighting and visuals that are on screen*, while the 2021 one is much more sympathetic.

*Two great examples in the pictures above, where the dark cell has been brightened so much the shadows look blue, and the rainy New England day that inexplicably looks incredibly yellow and bright.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2021 Posts: 14,951
    I think it seems that the bloom we get on the light sources was maybe part of the lens though as that seems to have stayed.

I would be curious to see the jungle chase as I remember a lot of that did look very blown out and over-contrast-y. It might actually help that- a lot of people remember it being all CGI but there's actually a lot of stuntwork on location (there are two stunt performers having a swordfight really standing on moving jeeps for example): the lighting and grading actually made it look more fake than it was.

I don't know if it's rainy: I think they've done that thing of hosing down the pavements to make them look nicer! It's a strange thing lots of film crews do, although usually at night!
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 440
    I would be curious to see the jungle chase as I remember a lot of that did look very blown out and over-contrast-y. It might actually help that- a lot of people remember it being all CGI but there's actually a lot of stuntwork on location (there are two stunt performers having a swordfight really standing on moving jeeps for example): the lighting and grading actually made it look more fake than it was.

Yeah, a lot of the stuff people attribute to unconvincing CGI, I think is really down to the very odd looking colour grade.

It's sort of trying to look faded and sepia while also being incredibly saturated and rich at the same time, which really doesn't work that well.

Especially when it's being done digitally after the fact and not when they were actually choosing the film stock.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    Toby Jones has also spent three seasons of a TV show chasing artefacts.
    But there was less action.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Toby Jones has also spent three seasons of a TV show chasing artefacts.
    But there was less action.
    That was a good show. Yeah, I'd really like Toby Jones in a Brody-type role. He'd be great.
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 15,804
    Fascinated we're getting new colored timed versions.
    I always thought the DVD of KOTCS did look a bit too sepia and saturated. I don't think it quite looked like that in the cinema, though I could be mistaken. The other INDY films looked more natural.
    And yes Ford looks amazing. Even better now than he did in the last film, IMO.
    I like his haircut, as well.
    I agree that Ford actually looks more physically fit than in KotCS. Which is amazing considering it's 14 years later.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited June 2021 Posts: 8,025
    My understanding is that KOTCS looked the way it did on the original blu-ray because the color timing was only done on 2K DI, so as a consequence the color timing looked more artificial than the first three films.

By going back to the original negatives and doing a new 4K remaster it results in a more natural color timing that’s closer to the look of the original three. Now the skies in South America actually look blueish!

Here’s detailed screencap comparisons: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=15966&d2=15967&c=6064
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    These could be fake but they do look fairly convincing.

Could we get a title announcement on Saturday?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I don't know seems more like a working title to me, and would definitely be the worst title of the series haha :D