Mr Whites return

edited June 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 76
Just got Quantum of Solace on ITV 2 in the backround and saw bond walk past Mr White at the opera, and it just occured to me. Thats the last we see of him. Im a bit gutted skyfall is a separate story, I want to see Bond find Mr White because he was just forgotten about.

Quantum will most likely be back in a future entry but do you think wel see Mr White again or will we just have to settle on the hope that one day we will see that deleted scene?

Comments

• edited June 2012 Posts: 11,425
    I think they're going to forget about Quantum for a while. And forget about Mr. White too.

Also, watching QoS on a big HD TV is weirdly making me reassess my views on the film. The HD makes it look cheap and made for TV - I like my movies more grainy. There's almost too much detail with HD.

After enjoying QoS at the cinema I'm now feeling that it's really not very good at all.
  • I think (and hope) that we haven't seen the last of QUANTUM, but they aren't involved in this one, at least I don't think so. If we were done with QUANTUM and White, we would have gotten the alternate ending with him and Guy Haines. As for Jesper Christensen, if the money, script, and timing are right, he'll do White again. If not, they'll get someone else to do the role. Money talks, and BS walks.

Although they hinted at Quantum and Camille returning for Bond 24 but after the lukewarm reception QOS got and supposidly how well SF has been going, I fear they might just ditch Quantum and Mr. White alltogther. Especially if SF does better than QOS in the box office. As @SirHenry said, money talks and bs walks.
    I am sad to say this but I fear that Babs and Mikey will forget Quantum and Mr. White. I think this a mistake because there's so much promise there.
    Be smart to bring them both back for the next film (similiar to the way SPECTRE and Blofeld were given a hiatus between FRWL and TB) but I seriously doubt we will ever see or hear what became of Quantum and Mr. White.
    I think future directors and writers will want to explore fresh ideas. Having just rewatched QoS I actually think this is a good thing - Quantum feels like a forced concept to me and Mr. White is best forgotten.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 3,494
    Well, EON has insisted that QUANTUM at least is an organization that they can use like SPECTRE and build future stories on, and they like the concept. SPECTRE worked and so can QUANTUM if done correctly. We still have yet to meet the head of QUANTUM and it took them 4 films before we even saw what Blofeld looked like. There's a lot they can do with the concept. Based on their actual statements, which carry a lot more weight rather than feelings, I feel it's too early to say they will never use QUANTUM in the future. Right here and now, it just makes more sense to establish Craig as a normal type of Bond and not invite comparison to the previous two films by making QUANTUM a part of things in this one, and they've said that too.

Furthermore as a PS, if they had the rights to the SPECTRE name and used it in place of QUANTUM, would anyone in their right mind say it was best forgotten???

• echoecho 007 in New York
    edited June 2012 Posts: 5,921
    I think (and hope) that we haven't seen the last of QUANTUM, but they aren't involved in this one, at least I don't think so. If we were done with QUANTUM and White, we would have gotten the alternate ending with him and Guy Haines. As for Jesper Christensen, if the money, script, and timing are right, he'll do White again. If not, they'll get someone else to do the role. Money talks, and BS walks.

I think White and QUANTUM will be back. We've just gotten to start to figure them out--in CR they didn't have a name (that we knew), and in QoS, M asked, "What the hell is this organization?" It's a flexible concept, SPECTRE-like, and they can have their fingers in many pies. As someone who grew up in the Moore years with one disconnected megalomaniac after another, I appreciated the continuity of the last two films.

Jesper Christensen is a great villainous actor. (See The Debt, if you haven't already.) And I like the idea of a recurring henchman who keeps getting away until, of course, he doesn't.
  • They may be taking a GF type break as they did with SPECTRE. A more fun SF after the serious QoS (just as GF was more fun than FRWL) and then bring back Quantum in a bigger, more fun film as was done with SPECTRE in TB. Or they could save Quantum for Craig's last film to "close the loop".

@Getafix: check the refresh rate on the screen. Too high of a refresh rate (along with other settings) can make even the most expensive, lavish film look like it was shot on cheap videotape for the local cable station. I saw a bit of Lord of the Rings on Blu-ray on a full hi-def screen with the wrong settings and it looked like it was shot on a cheap camcorder back in 1985!
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 5,745
    I can't stand people who rap on Quantum and claim there's nothing good about it, but this isn't the place for that.

Even if they end White and Quantum in a PTS ala FYEO I'd be happy. I see know reason why Barb and Mike would just drop Quantum. They're adults and realize Quantum was poor due to writing stresses and a poor director. If anything it's a family (Eon) that tries to make up for lagging work. I honestly hope they close the 'loop' because if they don't, in a decade we'll look back and think of it as messy.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    We still have yet to meet the head of QUANTUM and it took them 4 films before we even saw what Blofeld looked like.

Yeah, and they got that wrong. DP as a Pantomime villain. Nothing like he is in the books, Awful.
    I believe Quantum and White will return in Bond 24. Obviously they need a good script and then surround Daniel Craig with fantastic cast members like they have with this movie.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I too think Bond 24 will see their return along with maybe even Mr. White. Quantum will be back and I'm looking forward to when that is the case.
    I hope Mr. White returns, and along with all his Quantum buddies! I really don't want to leave this portion of Bond history unanswered. Fine by me if SF is going to take the GF approach and interrupt the flow of events with a bigger organization briefly, but after SF, yes, please bring Quantum back, along with Mr. White. Chances are, Mr. White could be like Largo, in the number 2 position.
    I wanna see Bond running for his life through Eastern Europe trying to get to the top of the organization for the film :) SO many great locations. Especially the futuristic Soviet monument fields in the Yugoslov countries.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited June 2012 Posts: 28,694
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    I wanna see Bond running for his life through Eastern Europe trying to get to the top of the organization for the film :) SO many great locations. Especially the futuristic Soviet monument fields in the Yugoslov countries.

Yeah, but then we'll have idiots say "well, Bourne went all around Europe and America too, and he, uh...got back at Treadstone, which is kind of like Quantum...uh...PICKLES!!!". 8-|
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The problem with Quantum is that it grows too slowly. Within one year of DN, we already saw Blofeld, and knew lots about SPECTRE... even with the GF break, it was only 2 years after FRWL that TB expended even more the SPECTRE organization.

If Bond 24 is released in 2014, it will be 6 years since QOS, 8 years since CR, and we still have no motives, no clear idea on them or any mention of the head of the organization.

Quantum has been a failure, so it's best to forget about them and move on. Not a lot of people in the general audience will remember Mr White, Vesper's boyfriend and what not, so there's no point in mentioning them again.

Quantum didn't work, so EON should forget that and move on to something else.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The problem with Quantum is that it grows too slowly. Within one year of DN, we already saw Blofeld, and knew lots about SPECTRE... even with the GF break, it was only 2 years after FRWL that TB expended even more the SPECTRE organization.

If Bond 24 is released in 2014, it will be 6 years since QOS, 8 years since CR, and we still have no motives, no clear idea on them or any mention of the head of the organization.

Quantum has been a failure, so it's best to forget about them and move on. Not a lot of people in the general audience will remember Mr White, Vesper's boyfriend and what not, so there's no point in mentioning them again.

Quantum didn't work, so EON should forget that and move on to something else.

Most of the general audience (at least these days) wouldn't care regardless. Show most of them an explosion and they think they got their moneys worth. The thing is, as dismal as Quantum's backstory/motives are, it would be far more fatal for EON to pretend like it never existed and move on.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2012 Posts: 15,686
    Well @0Brady the films are made for this general audience... and I very much doubt they would care if Bond 24 didn't feature Quantum, an organization we haven't heard about since 2008 in QOS... and we barely know anything about them.

IMO it's best for EON to move on to something else, either one-off films like before, or if they want to try another organization, get the ball rolling faster next time.

I doubt when CR was released that the general audience even remembered Mr White from the beginning of the film when he showed up at the end. And I have heard many non-Bond fans asking if Gettler ( Venice dude with black glasses ) was Le Chiffre... I mean really, they don't have the attention to remember the start of a 2.5 hours film, how do you expect them to remember a character/organization that we know nothing about that hasn't shown up in 6 years ?
    PLEASE God don't do two organizations so close. Please. Build and finish Quantum, or at least end the White loop. They could do that in a PTS if they wanted! Just so it doesn't look sloppy.

As said before, The Broccolis are not about giving up on something, that should be obvious by now.
    The Broccolis may not be about 'giving up on something', but it seems evident that the general audience has given up on Quantum, if they even cared about it in the first place, so EON may well be forced to 'give up' on Quantum because they failed to get the ball rolling to keep the general audience invested in multi-story arc organization.

I doubt the general audience remembered Mr White from the beginning of CR when he showed up in Venice at the end of the same film, so it's very much not likely they'll remember him again after not hearing from him in 6 years.
    The Broccolis may not be about 'giving up on something', but it seems evident that the general audience has given up on Quantum, if they even cared about it in the first place, so EON may well be forced to 'give up' on Quantum because they failed to get the ball rolling to keep the general audience invested in multi-story arc organization.

I doubt the general audience remembered Mr White from the beginning of CR when he showed up in Venice at the end of the same film, so it's very much not likely they'll remember him again after not hearing from him in 6 years.

Exactly, most people, myself included, couldn't care less about Quantum. Ditch it and move in.
    Getafix wrote:

Exactly, most people, myself included, couldn't care less about Quantum. Ditch it and move in.

When you look back in 10 years, you won't think it's sloppy?
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

When you look back in 10 years, you won't think it's sloppy?

Definitely not. I'll be grateful they stopped flogging a dead horse.
    At the end of the day, we are talking about the general audience, meaning people who need some information spoon-fed to them at a regular basis to keep them being invested in multi-films story arcs. And no matter how 'interesting' Quantum seems like to us hardcore Bond fans, and how much we want to know more, it has been a failure for the general audience, who most likely have lost all interest in Quantum, since in 2014 it will be 6 years since we last heard of them, and there wasn't much mention of them in the first place.

You need to keep the general audience invested, meaning you need to spoon-feed information regularly to remind them of what happened before. I sincerly doubt that many people in the general audience remembered that the Mr White in Venice was the same guy at the beginning of the film. I even heard many people asking if Gettler was Le Chiffre. This shows the very low level of attention the general audience have. And it is even worst for Bond films, where they don't expect to have to make their brains work.

At the end of the day, we are talking about the general audience, meaning people who need some information spoon-fed to them at a regular basis to keep them being invested in multi-films story arcs. And no matter how 'interesting' Quantum seems like to us hardcore Bond fans, and how much we want to know more, it has been a failure for the general audience, who most likely have lost all interest in Quantum, since in 2014 it will be 6 years since we last heard of them, and there wasn't much mention of them in the first place.

You need to keep the general audience invested, meaning you need to spoon-feed information regularly to remind them of what happened before. I sincerly doubt that many people in the general audience remembered that the Mr White in Venice was the same guy at the beginning of the film. I even heard many people asking if Gettler was Le Chiffre. This shows the very low level of attention the general audience have. And it is even worst for Bond films, where they don't expect to have to make their brains work.

If people didn't "get" LeChiffre getting a bullet in the forehead in extreme closeup maybe 15 minutes before, there is no hope for them (or indeed, humanity).

Don't dumb down the arc for the Transformers audience. Bring back QUANTUM.
  • Quantum was never fully realised. Such a powerful organization who worked within the heart of the british government and now they have been written out of the next film or have they? Either way I'm so glad mr.black wasn't the bad guy that would have been an issue in these times.

Rather like the modern captain scarlet when rogue agent black was written out of it.
    echo wrote:
    Don't dumb down the arc for the Transformers audience. Bring back QUANTUM.

The problem is that Bond films are made for the general audience, which englobes the Transformers audience. They are the ones who dictate where the franchise should go, etc... I mean, these films aren't made for a recluse group of hardcore fans like us.
    Craig's reign has shown that the films don't have to pander to the lowest common denominator in order to be successful.
    CR and QOS were still made primarly for the general audience, not for Bond fans.

CR wasn't successful because they pleased to Bond fans, because we only make for about 5% of the box office attendance/gross. The fact that the film was based on a Fleming novel and was Flemingesque is completly irrelevant, because 95% of those who saw CR have never read a Fleming novel. So it wasn't the Fleming touch that made CR successful.

Even if CR gave a bigger importance to 'mature adults & Bond fans', the films are still primarly made for the 'lowest common denominator', because it's them who make for the majority of the box office gross.