Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    mtm wrote: »
    Is Ford the oldest action hero in film history? I'm not being negative, I'm genuinely curious.

In terms of actually being the lead, I can’t think of much older unless you count Gran Torino or Harry Brown maybe, but they weren’t really on the level of an Indy action-wise.
    That was the one I thought of but it wasn’t really an action film. Charles Bronson did some stuff in his later years. Ford may be the champ.
    A similar question: has a movie this big ever had a lead actor this old?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    You’d imagine the insurance on him must be incredibly expensive.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    mtm wrote: »
    You’d imagine the insurance on him must be incredibly expensive.
    Just don't let him fly any more planes.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    As I had said a couple of weeks ago, people are definitely happier to see that Indy will fight Nazis rather than Russian commies. They're not at all in the same league for enemies.
  • Can't wait for this. Almost as much as NTTD. Also does anyone think Boyd Holbrook could potentially be playing younger Indy?
    Can't wait for this. Almost as much as NTTD. Also does anyone think Boyd Holbrook could potentially be playing younger Indy?

I doubt it, in this era, digital de-aging is the way to go.
    For the senior action hero club here are the standings in terms of age:
    Harrison Ford clearly is in 1st, b 1942
    Coming close behind is Samuel L, Jackson, b. 1948
    Next comes Sigourney Weaver, b. 1949
    I give her full credit for still making action films, particularly since I sometimes read of her being brought in for another Alien film.
    Sometimes noted for his age while still making action films, but coming with a birth year 10 years subsequent to Mister First Place, is Liam Neeson, b. 1952
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Also consider

Clint Eastwood 1930 (next film: Cry Macho)
    Sylvester Stallone 1946
    Arnold Schwarzenegger 1947
    Well done, Sir ! Yup, those three -- and certainly the younger two -- still are in action. Of course, Stallone was born when HF already was school-age, as was Ahhhnuld, so, those fellows are comparative pups.
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 1,469
    About Sly and Arnold, they found a great vehicle, which also pokes a little fun at their age I think, in The Expendables series...I enjoy watching that sometimes. And yeah, Harrison was in the third one. Bruce Willis is out of the running for age though, born in '55.
    RED - also featuring Bruce Willis -- works over the same territory. Fun. Also has Morgan Fairchild, on a day off from not portraying the Almighty, b. 1937. When you get to Clint Eastwood and Morgan Fairchild, it gets more and more accurate that they APPEARED in an action film, but were not necessarily one of the action-actors. Was Morgan Fairchild an action actor in RED (which came out in his 73rd year, in 2010, leaving Harrison Ford well ahead as being one of the action actors in an action film) ? Yeah, somewhat. At any rate, in terms on not only being in an action film, but being an action actor -- Harrison Ford really is setting that bar waaaaay up high.
    Ah ! To be fair -- Helen Mirren was an action actor in RED (2010) and its sequel (2013). She's made plenty of films since, and if anyone finds any of them to have featured her as an action actor, please say so ! I've not seen them all. She was b. 1945 -- younger than Clint E, Morgan F, and Harrison F, and just older than Sylvester S and the rest -- and the RED sequel came out in her 68th year. (I know not production dates or specific Release date years compared with birth date so I use Birth year and Release date year for all these comparisons.) The more I look at these, the more impressed I am with Mr. Ford.

For those of you trying to keep track:
    1930 Client Eastwood, who just hit his 91st birthday
    1937 Morgan Fairchild
    1942 Harrison Ford
    1945 Helen Mirren
    1946 Sylvester Stallone
    1947 Arnold Schwarzenegger
    1948 Samuel L. Jackson
    1948 Sigourney Weaver
    1952 Liam Neeson
    They really should have left it at a trilogy...

[url="[youtube]

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I was watching the opening of Last Crusade this morning: it seems like he actually is stealing that cross from the rightful owner, is that wrong?
  • From the look of the preproduction shots so far I think we are going to get a much better film than Crystal Skull.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited June 2021 Posts: 23,347
    Indy 5 is in safe hands with Mangold, a recent rewatch of Logan just built up my confidence further.

I was looking through some other of Mangold's movies I own like Night and Day (Tom cruise) and Identity (John Cusack), two films I have a lot of time for. Mangold is a very skilled director, I am confident we will get some iconic Indy shots and cinematography.
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 121
    A location scout called Ross Donnelly has been added to the crew list of Indy 5 on imdb. The interesting thing about him is that based on his filmography, he does location scouting exclusively in the Lake District region of Cumbria. Are they planning some filming there too?
    edited June 2021 Posts: 7,980
    Indy 5 is in safe hands with Mangold, a recent rewatch of Logan just built up my confidence further.

I was looking through some other of Mangold's movies I own like Night and Day (Tom cruise) and Identity (John Cusack), two films I have a lot of time for. Mangold is a very skilled director, I am confident we will get some iconic Indy shots and cinematography.

Ford vs Ferrari is the one that really bolsters my confidence in Mangold; the cinematography is gorgeous and he beautifully captures the 60’s era.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    talos7 wrote: »

Ford vs Ferrari is the one that really bolsters my confidence in Mangold; the cinematography is gorgeous and be beautifully captures the 60’s era.

Still not had chance to watch F vs F, its on my watch list. It looks stunning based on the trailers I have seen.
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 9,770

It’s funny I never saw Logan but I did see Night and Day (because I was told if the film did well enough we would get mission impossible 4 so I did my part) it was a fun action film not amazing not bad

I saw identity and own it. While I have heard many reviewers claim it’s bad I actually enjoy it as a slasher version of And then there were none.

So I think he will do well my concern for the film is still the same though the item Indy is after has to be good and I swear I am not playing my own hand of beliefs but it should be a judeo-Christian artifact as even atheists on this forum have said Indy sucks when he goes after non judeo-Christian artifacts…

My honest hope is The Garden of Eden though some my feel that is a little too close to last crusade…. Aaron’s staff might be cool but that might be to similar to raiders

Like I said currently I will still see it in theaters but like crystal skull I am nervous
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2021 Posts: 14,956
    Mr_Beach wrote: »
    A location scout called Ross Donnelly has been added to the crew list of Indy 5 on imdb. The interesting thing about him is that based on his filmography, he does location scouting exclusively in the Lake District region of Cumbria. Are they planning some filming there too?

Good spot: it sounds plausible. Cumbria is very beautiful- didn’t they use it in Force Awakens too?
    I wonder if they’re maximising their time filming in the U.K. due to covid? I’d be a little sad if they didn’t go somewhere a bit more exotic.
    edited June 2021 Posts: 23,347
    Risico007 wrote: »

It’s funny I never saw Logan but I did see Night and Day (because I was told if the film did well enough we would get mission impossible 4 so I did my part) it was a fun action film not amazing not bad

I saw identity and own it. While I have heard many reviewers claim it’s bad I actually enjoy it as a slasher version of And then there were none.

So I think he will do well my concern for the film is still the same though the item Indy is after has to be good and I swear I am not playing my own hand of beliefs but it should be a judeo-Christian artifact as even atheists on this forum have said Indy sucks when he goes after non judeo-Christian artifacts…

My honest hope is The Garden of Eden though some my feel that is a little too close to last crusade…. Aaron’s staff might be cool but that might be to similar to raiders

Like I said currently I will still see it in theaters but like crystal skull I am nervous

The MacGuffin Indy is seeking has to be on the same level as the original Trilogy for sure, the odds and risk has to be high. One of many major failings of KOTCS was the MacGuffin.

I like the idea of Excalibur

An age or time related Macguffin is the route I would take, the subtext of Indy 5 surely has to look at mortality. Indy's Age, Nazi's out of time and long past there sell by date so to speak in the era the film is set in.

Excalibur is a good one, or Golden fleece maybe look to Greek or perhaps Norse mythology.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2021 Posts: 14,956
    talos7 wrote: »
    I like the idea of Excalibur

I guess the thing is Last Crusade went to English medieval lore a bit (and Arthur even got a mention from Indy)- I’d like something a little different, ideally something not European. Doesn’t have to be Christian either: we’ve done that a bit. Although maybe something satanic could be interesting.
    An age or time related Macguffin is the route I would take, the subtext of Indy 5 surely has to look at mortality.

Yeah time travel wouldn’t upset me.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Valhalla perhaps?
    Valkyrie?
    Not sure Time Travel is right for Indy. Too far I think
    I’m not sure about something satanic; I don’t think they’re going to want to go that dark. If you think about it ,arguably, the two most effective McGuffins, in Raiders and Crusade, were objects of hope that the Nazis wanted for nefarious uses. I think we will see something similar in this entry.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I really hope it’s not another Raiders remake like Crusade and Skull were though. Temple showed he can have different adventures.