Quick Big Mi6 Community Bond girl Ranking Game

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Swann is dead last for me. Horribly acted (thanks to the script and direction, as Seydoux is a phenomenal actress otherwise) with almost no chemistry shared between her and Bond. Only serves to add more danger to the bloated and forgettable action sequences. I hope she's actually enjoyable in NTTD but I have my doubts.

@Creasy47 and I usually agree about everything. This is where we disagree. ;-) This is where we are polar opposites. But that's okay. ;-) We can still hang out together.

That we can; surely it won't turn into violent bloodshed over said disagreement, right? Right?...

I'll put my knives down.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I'm afraid the next reveal will devastate our feathered friend @Max_The_Parrot.

MIE HAMA
    as Kissy Suzuki
    in YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

Bond-and-girl-lobby-card.jpg

She barely misses out on the top 15, but she does have a fine fan base nonetheless.

Five top 10's were noted, with one bronze medal being her highest rating. Additionally she ended up in eight more top 15's.

Alas on the other hand of the spectrum, five bottom 5's were also given to her. Her lowest score was penultimate, on one occasion.

Kissy Suzuki acquired 118 points in total.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I have Kissy at 19. She's better than the bottom entrants, but as far as some of the heavyweight Bond girls go, she just lacks that certain something. I found Aki to be the far more interesting and written character. Would've preferred if the roles were reversed.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    Awwwwwww Kissssssyyyyyyy!!!!!!! =((

YOLT was first broadcast on British TV in November 1977. I would have been too young for this showing but I watched it on ITV when I was round about 8 years of age, sat on the floor inches away from the CRT screen and instantly fell head over heels in love with Kissy. I’ve been in love with her ever since. I’m proud to be her Bond-girl-ranking-thread #1 fan and I’m pleasantly surprised to see she has her supporters too.

Love you Kissy!! 😍
    I had her at #15. Kissy has disappointingly little to do in the film but she's quite lovely and, though late in the game, she makes her presence felt in a positive way. I simply wish the balance between Aki and Kissy would've been different.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I had her at 15. Aki would have been an easy top ten.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Top half, but not top ten for me.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Damn, I love Kissy and the girls of YOLT as a whole. She made #5 for me, shame to see her exit the game so soon.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited May 2021 Posts: 2,598
    I had Kissy at number 15 in my rankings, and as I stated in an older post, I do find it interesting that a picture of Aki (Akiko Wakabayashi) adorns the disc slot for YOLT in the BOND50 Box Set – and not her. That said, I still like her.

At-least @Max_The_Parrot and I can take comfort in observing Kissy’s (Mie Hama) huge popularity in the Twittersphere. Last Saturday night here in the US while “King Kong Escapes” (1967) played on one of the cable channels, every other twitter post seemed to be about her.
    mieseductive5.jpg

Ms. Hama today:
    https://midcenturybond.wordpress.com/2020/11/27/mie-hama-2020/

• Madeleine had great potential as a character and was played well by Seydoux. The problem had more to do with the film than the character and the forced importance of a relationship between her and Bond that was ultimately overshadowed by the more organic chemistry apparent in any number of Bond's previous romances. I'm confident Madeleine will come across much better in the next one.

And there's nothing wrong with Kissy, except that she's overshadowed in every way imaginable in her own film by would-be main Bond girl turned sacrificial lamb Aki. Given how little opportunity Kissy has to shine, I think this a pretty fair ranking for the character.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited May 2021 Posts: 2,002
    Pretty bummed I missed this thread but here’s my list all the same.

1. Teresa di Vicenzo
    2. Domino Derval
    3. Tatiana Romanova
    4. Solitaire
    5. Pussy Galore
    6. Honey Ryder
    7. Octopussy
    8. Pam Bouvier
    9. Anya Amasova
    10. Natalya Simonova
    11. Madeleine Swann
    12. Kissy Suzuki
    13. Melina Havelock
    14. Vesper Lynd ‘06
    15. Tiffany Case
    16. Sévérine
    17. Wai Lin
    18. Vesper Lynd ‘67
    19. Domino Petachi
    20. Kara Milovy
    21. Camille Montes
    22. Mary Goodnight
    23. Holly Goodhead
    24. Stacey Sutton
    25. Jinx
    26. Christmas Jones
  • Pretty even spread across the eras as far as the top 15 goes:

Connery: 4
    Lazenby: 1
    Moore: 4
    Dalton: 2
    Brosnan: 2
    Craig: 2
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Am I the only person on Earth who can absolutely not stomach Pam Bouvier? It certainly seems that way as per podcasts, the people on here, etc.

Ah, did you listen to the JBR anniversary episodes? She did come up a lot as people's favorite (!). I know I'm a big fan,but I look forward to hearing why you aren't!
    Half of my Top Ten are already gone.

I'm surprised to see only three of my top ten are gone. My opinions on Bond tend to be pretty out of wack to the usual consensus.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Am I the only person on Earth who can absolutely not stomach Pam Bouvier?

Sorry, pal.
    Our next reveal clearly overshadows the other Brosnan Era candidate for a spin-off.

MICHELLE YEOH
    as Wai Lin
    in TOMORROW NEVER DIES

dde07509b3198f739d10c7ac03d8f377.jpg

Six top 10's were awarded to Wai Lin. Her best ranking was 6th on no less than three occasions. Eight more top 15's were noted, four of those came in at #15.

Not a bad showing for Wai Lin, who ended outside the top 20 on only five occasions. Three 24th places were her worst showings.

Wai Lin gathered 118 points in total.

That's the same amount as Kissy, but Wai Lin won the toss-up with more top 10 notifications.
    Finally! I had her at 24.

There are no two characters in the Bond series who have less chemistry than Pierce's Bond and Wai Lin. Green Four and Necros? Adam and JW Pepper? Professor Dent and the tarantula? All are more believable romantic couples.

Michelle Yeoh just looks like she's in the movie entirely against her will, and I have to assume she's only in it to enhance her star power in the Western market.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Nah, she is a tough cookie. I had her at #7 and enjoy all her scenes very much.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I like a girl who can kick henchman ass alongside me. There's something romantic about that.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I had Wai Lin at #15. She's serviceable enough, brings some real skill to the fight sequences, but it's all hampered by the TV movie quality parts of the film has for me, which helps make it my least favorite of Brosnan's tenure. I don't hate her by any stretch but there are many girls that are so much better.
    I quite like Wai Lin. Skilled, intelligent and likeable. Easily one of the better aspects of TND for me.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Wai Lin was 15th for me. A nice comrades in arms tryst for ol' Jimmy.

Bit saddened to see the delectable Kissy leave this competition so early. Charming and competent in equal measure.

And let's have a word for the athletic prowess displayed by Kissy. First she dives with the Ama, then climbs up the volcano with Bond. Then descents it in a hurry. Swims back to Ama Island, dodging a SPECTRE helicopter too boot. Then Kissy climbs back up the bloody volcano, with Tiger and his ninjas. She takes part in the assault. Then flees the base, in haste! Well done Kissy. All to provide something for Bond to neck with, in the inevitable boaty conclusion.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    @Dwayne thanks for sharing the Mie Hama love! 👍😍.
    @royale65 quite right, Kissy was a Wonder Woman!
    I also had Wai Lin high up on my list, number 6, didn't expect to see her go so soon.
    QBranch wrote: »
    I like a girl who can kick henchman ass alongside me. There's something romantic about that.

Great one, @QBranch! :-)
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited May 2021 Posts: 2,598
    While TND isn’t in the same league as TSWLM (film wise), is Barbara Bach’s Anya Amasova really better than Wai Lin? :-q
    Dwayne wrote: »
    While TND isn’t in the same league as TSWLM (film wise), is Barbara Bach’s Anya Amasova really better than Wai Lin? :-q

Barbara Bach isn't better than anybody.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I have her pretty low. Only Natalya really worked for me as Pierce leading ladies go. I guess I’m just tired of the leading lady as Bonds equal.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    I have Anya Amasova at #24 and it is high time she shows up in this ranking ;-)
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I'm very fond of Wai Lin - she's interesting and fun, and the handcuffed-to-the-bike stuff is probably my favourite part of TND. I agree there isn't a romantic spark with Pierce, but I don't see that with Natalya either TBH; for both of them it seems more like a friends with benefits relationship and that's fine.
    Ask you shall receive @zebrafish. Because our next reveal is:

BARBARA BACH
    as Anya Amasova
    in THE SPY WHO LOVED ME

Spy-Who-Loved-Me-lobby-card-8.jpg

A very divisive character, apparently. For some she's amongst the very best, for others amongst the very worst.

For instance, she was put dead last by two members, but also received one gold and one bronze medal. That makes her the only Bond girl to end up both first as well as last.

Furthermore, seven more top 10's were noted, though also four more bottom 5's. In contrast she only ended up twice between 11th and 15th.

In total Anya Amasova received 132 points.