Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Isn't that show supposed to be really bad?

Who says so? Idiotic reviewers through rottentomatoes? Don't make me laugh. The show is pretty good actually. You obviously haven't seen it. In fact, perhaps better to comment after have watched something yourself, rather than projecting what others think.

Reminds me of the days of the CR boycott. So called Bond fans screaming for Craig to be let go. Boycott the movie, as he was terribly miscast. All before anyone had seen it.
    And we all know how that turned out. ;)
    I haven't seen Leonardo, but I'll pass judgement after I've seen it.
    I think you're getting your hopes up a little @JeremyBondon concerning Amazon buying MGM. They now have a catalogue of thousands of shows and movies. I can't see how it will improve Aidan's chances. And even with Amazon's backing, EON will still have a major part in who's going to be the next Bond. Amazon are unlikely to cause to much of a problem to their ace in the hole...the golden goose who is James Bond.

• Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Although Aidan Turner is my preferred choice for Bond #7, I think he's possibly aged out now. Although if the Amazon offers Bond more financial stability, maybe Bond 26 will arrive sooner than we think and Turner would still be able to play the role. But I doubt it

Turner is the only one of the candidates I could picture as Bond right now. I'm just praying they don't make a radical change to the character, to appease the social climate
    I trust Eon and I trust they'll make the right decision ultimately
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2021 Posts: 14,861
    I reckon you all have heard/ read about Amazon having acquired MGM. Funny little detail: Amazon has just released 'Leonardo' starring future Bond potential Aidan Turner. Let's just say I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if this could turn out very well for mr. Turner. Perhaps Amazon sees a lot of potential in him as well.

I think that's a bit of a reach. A man being hired by a company doesn't mean they want to hire him for everything.
    Benny wrote: »

Who says so? Idiotic reviewers through rottentomatoes? Don't make me laugh. The show is pretty good actually. You obviously haven't seen it. In fact, perhaps better to comment after have watched something yourself, rather than projecting what others think.

Reminds me of the days of the CR boycott. So called Bond fans screaming for Craig to be let go. Boycott the movie, as he was terribly miscast. All before anyone had seen it.

Goon was just asking, he didn't pass any judgement. When you google it doesn't exactly have stellar reviews, and the people who have written the reviews have seen it. It's not really anything like the CR boycott.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    It's nice to see Aaron Taylor-Johnson getting more work. I wonder if this new Kraven movie rules him out or gives him a chance to shine as a leading man to gain EON's interest? And he actually got this Kraven role based on the new Bullet Train film, where he plays an assassin. Can we let Barbara see those dailies? Haha :D
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Denbigh wrote: »
    It's nice to see Aaron Taylor-Johnson getting more work. I wonder if this new Kraven movie rules him out or gives him a chance to shine as a leading man to gain EON's interest? And he actually got this Kraven role based on the new Bullet Train film, where he plays an assassin. Can we let Barbara see those dailies? Haha :D

According to Empire he has said 'flat out' that he wouldn't want to play Bond though.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    mtm wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    According to Empire he has said 'flat out' that he wouldn't want to play Bond though.
    Yeah, I saw that, but didn't Craig also say the same thing before he was.
    I reckon you all have heard/ read about Amazon having acquired MGM. Funny little detail: Amazon has just released 'Leonardo' starring future Bond potential Aidan Turner. Let's just say I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if this could turn out very well for mr. Turner. Perhaps Amazon sees a lot of potential in him as well.

I think that's a bit of a reach. A man being hired by a company doesn't mean they want to hire him for everything.

Goon was just asking, he didn't pass any judgement. When you google it doesn't exactly have stellar reviews, and the people who have written the reviews have seen it. It's not really anything like the CR boycott.

If you take the time to read my post, you'll notice I didn't quote @ImpertinentGoon rather @JeremyBondon
    The CR boycott was similar in the way people past judgement without seeing the finished product. Bit like you post @mtm ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

If you take the time to read my post, you'll notice I didn't quote @ImpertinentGoon rather @JeremyBondon
    The CR boycott was similar in the way people past judgement without seeing the finished product. Bit like you post @mtm ;)

If you'd taken the time to read Jeremy's post in context, you'd have noticed he was describing Goon's statement- incorrectly. By comparing his description of Goon to the CR boycott you were, perhaps inadvertently, also criticising Goon unfairly. ;)
    I'm not sure what you mean about me passing judgement without seeing the finished product? What does that refer to?
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited May 2021 Posts: 1,318

If you'd taken the time to read Jeremy's post in context, you'd have noticed he was describing Goon's statement- incorrectly. By comparing his description of Goon to the CR boycott you were, perhaps inadvertently, also criticising Goon unfairly. ;)
    I'm not sure what you mean about me passing judgement without seeing the finished product? What does that refer to?

Of course, MTM at it again. The usual. The way 'Goon' constructed his post wasn't really constructive it all, rather it insinuated 'Leonardo' is bad because some reviewers thought it was so-so or bad. Posts like that aren't really helpful, but since you are the master of pot stirring I'll leave it at that, as you are a priori a contrarian.

@Benny I agree with your post, makes sense. Of course I know I am speculating, but that's the gravy of this thread which makes it all the more delicious, in the end. Speculation all around.
    I think you’re a little confused ‘old man’
    First time for everything. ;) Let’s leave it at that. No need to take it further.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Henry Cavill have the same favorite exercise, planking. ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Of course, MTM at it again. The usual. The way 'Goon' constructed his post wasn't really constructive it all, rather it insinuated 'Leonardo' is bad because some reviewers thought it was so-so or bad.

That is generally what reviews are for. I've heard Nomadland is great and I plan to watch it, is that somehow awful of me to think that's generally regarded as true?
    First time for everything. ;) Let’s leave it at that. No need to take it further.

So you can't even back that up then? That was a really unnecessary thing to say to me.
    @mtm you're looking for an argument that isn't going to happen. Why don't you let it go. You don't always need to have the last word.

Of course, MTM at it again. The usual. The way 'Goon' constructed his post wasn't really constructive it all, rather it insinuated 'Leonardo' is bad because some reviewers thought it was so-so or bad. Posts like that aren't really helpful, but since you are the master of pot stirring I'll leave it at that, as you are a priori a contrarian.

@Benny I agree with your post, makes sense. Of course I know I am speculating, but that's the gravy of this thread which makes it all the more delicious, in the end. Speculation all around.

Thanks @JeremyBondon we might not agree on certain things, but at least we can have some fun, and be civil. Cheers.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    @mtm you're looking for an argument that isn't going to happen. Why don't you let it go. You don't always need to have the last word.

You've been incredibly unpleasant to and really offended me, and I have no idea why. All I did was to ask what you meant by your insult; I think that would have been civil.

Thanks @JeremyBondon we might not agree on certain things, but at least we can have some fun, and be civil. Cheers.

I'm not sure how Jeremy's post was civil in that he threw several insults out, but I'm happy to leave it.
    Unpleasant? Offensive? If you're going to dish it out @mtm then you're going to have to take it too. Something that you appear to lack. But I'm happy you'll leave it. Thanks.

Of course, MTM at it again. The usual. The way 'Goon' constructed his post wasn't really constructive it all, rather it insinuated 'Leonardo' is bad because some reviewers thought it was so-so or bad.

That is generally what reviews are for. I've heard Nomadland is great and I plan to watch it, is that somehow awful of me to think that's generally regarded as true?

So you can't even back that up then? That was a really unnecessary thing to say to me.

Unintentionally you've just proven my point. I quite disliked Nomadland and I think it should 've never received the Oscars it got. Then again, Oscars aren't worth much these days. A lot of paid critics loved it however.

@Benny Exactly! Cheers to you 🍻
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Unpleasant? Offensive? If you're going to dish it out @mtm then you're going to have to take it too. Something that you appear to lack.

I haven't dished anything out: you've insulted my character several times, called me 'confused' etc. If you didn't intend to offend me by doing that then I'm not sure what your aim was. I haven't called you anything.

Unintentionally you've just proven my point. I quite disliked Nomadland and I think it should 've never received the Oscars it got. Then again, Oscars aren't worth much these days. A lot of paid critics loved it however.

Well that's okay that you didn't like it, but it doesn't really prove your point. It is true to say that Leonardo isn't regarded all that well. It doesn't mean it is bad, just that it isn't 'supposed to be' all that great.
    And as it doesn't seem to be held as a big hit critically, I think it's possibly reasonable to say that Amazon are maybe more likely to not be interested in Turner than they are to be interested in him. That said, I don't think his being in an Amazon show, hit or not, will make much difference over Bond either way.
  • ThunderballThunderball playing Chemin de Fer in a casino, downing Vespers
    edited May 2021 Posts: 776
    I reckon you all have heard/ read about Amazon having acquired MGM. Funny little detail: Amazon has just released 'Leonardo' starring future Bond potential Aidan Turner. Let's just say I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if this could turn out very well for mr. Turner. Perhaps Amazon sees a lot of potential in him as well. Very interesting timing. Perhaps one little hint could be that our beloved Mathis stars in it, as well.

original.gif

As long as Aidan is on EON’s radar, which I don’t know why he wouldn’t be. It is ultimately up to them. I would be quite happy if he gets the nod, of course. Way, way more than any other actor that’s been floated on here (except Michael Fassbender, but we agree he can’t do it now, too late). I vehemently dislike Bezos and Amazon, but this could perhaps be an upside of the sale.

@Jordo007 Aidan hasn’t aged out of Bond yet. He’ll turn 38 next month and he looks a handful of years younger than that. Pierce was 41 when he got was cast and Timothy was 40. I think people need to rethink this “aged out” description.
    Unpleasant? Offensive? If you're going to dish it out @mtm then you're going to have to take it too. Something that you appear to lack.

I haven't dished anything out: you've insulted my character several times, called me 'confused' etc. If you didn't intend to offend me by doing that then I'm not sure what your aim was. I haven't called you anything.

Well that's okay that you didn't like it, but it doesn't really prove your point. It is true to say that Leonardo isn't regarded all that well. It doesn't mean it is bad, just that it isn't 'supposed to be' all that great.
    And as it doesn't seem to be held as a big hit critically, I think it's possibly reasonable to say that Amazon are maybe more likely to not be interested in Turner than they are to be interested in him. That said, I don't think his being in an Amazon show, hit or not, will make much difference over Bond either way.

It still proves my point in the way opinions are inherently subjective and that even a majority of opinions could be deemed wrong in the opinion of someone else. Also, 'not all that great' is quite different from 'really bad'. Turner gets relatively more praise than the show itself, the script if you will. Agree to disagree, yet again. Oh well.
    edited May 2021 Posts: 1,318

It still proves my point in the way opinions are inherently subjective and that even a majority of opinions could be deemed wrong in the opinion of someone else. Also, 'not all that great' is quite different from 'really bad'. Turner gets relatively more praise than the show itself, the script if you will.

@Thunderfinger Wholeheartedly agree with your post
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I reckon you all have heard/ read about Amazon having acquired MGM. Funny little detail: Amazon has just released 'Leonardo' starring future Bond potential Aidan Turner. Let's just say I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if this could turn out very well for mr. Turner. Perhaps Amazon sees a lot of potential in him as well. Very interesting timing. Perhaps one little hint could be that our beloved Mathis stars in it, as well.

original.gif

As long as Aidan is on EON’s radar, which I don’t know why he wouldn’t be. It is ultimately up to them. I would be quite happy if he gets the nod, of course. Way, way more than any other actor that’s been floated on here (except Michael Fassbender, but we agree he can’t do it now, too late). I vehemently dislike Bezos and Amazon, but this could perhaps be an upside of the sale.

@Jordo007 Aidan hasn’t aged out of Bond yet. He’ll turn 38 next month and he looks a handful of years younger than that. Pierce was 41 when he got was cast and Timothy was 40. I think people need to rethink this “aged out” description.

Yes, I would be amazed if he didn't get an interview or test - if he wants it of course :D

It still proves my point in the way opinions are inherently subjective and that even a majority of opinions could be deemed wrong in the opinion of someone else.

No-one really said otherwise, though. But generally we do tend to talk in terms of 'Spectre is generally regarded as one of the weaker Bond films' etc. even if some people really like that film. It's just how people talk about this stuff, it's nothing to take personally.
    (I don't dislike Spectre as much as some people do but I accept that it's not seen as one of the good ones)
    Also, 'not all that great' is quite different from 'really bad'.

Well, two star reviews from a couple of papers that I saw, which is verging on bad. I was just trying to phrase it in a non-inflammatory way.
    Turner gets relatively more praise than the show itself, the script if you will.

Well that's fair enough. So you do agree that the script/story isn't praised highly, then.
    @JeremyBondon I don’t see a post on this page by Thunderfinger. You might’ve meant me, in which case, thank you. People sometimes get me and Mr. Finger mixed up. Perhaps it’s time to change my username.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    @JeremyBondon I don’t see a post on this page by Thunderfinger. You might’ve meant me, in which case, thank you. People sometimes get me and Mr. Finger mixed up. Perhaps it’s time to change my username.

'Fingerball'?

'Fingerball'?

Sounds like a spy-themed porn movie. 😅
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Though I thought the trailer was bad, Leonardo has a respectable 7.1 at IMDb, with an interesting spread of reviewers giving it either very high marks or very low marks, with few in the middle. I'd guess that it's sort of shlocky and lowbrow, but with enough good people in the cast to make it watchable. If that's the case, I can't really look down on it for veering far from the facts considering I watched the ludicrous but entertaining Da Vinci's Demons (which actually sits at 8.0 in IMDb's ratings).

Whatever, I'm sure it won't affect Aidan Turner's chances one way or another.

I watched the short-lived Marvel show Helstrom recently. I liked Tom Austen much more than I thought I would, but wow I felt the show took a nosedive in the last few episodes.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    @Thunderball truthfully mate didn't realise he was only 37 going on 38 haha. He's a great age in that case.
    The only thing I will say is I can picture them going younger for the next version of Bond, but I'd be pleased if Eon went for Turner. He at least deserves to be on the list
  • While I don't think Aidan Turner would have been considered by the past considering Eon's production pace (with a movie every four years on average, Turner would have been quickly too old), Amazon could impose a higher frequency. I don't know if it's good or bad if it could impact the quality of the films, but, with such a pace, Turner has all his chances. Still, I think a younger actor will be chosen.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    the-haunting-of-bly-manor-peter-oliver-jackson-cohen-social-600x338.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=750&dpr=1.5
    Oliver Jackson-Cohen 34 London Born.

Unsure if he has been mentioned, I started watching The Haunting of Bly Manor on NETFLIX, Oliver shows a subtle underlining menace with the character he plays. Later I realised I had also seen him in the recent Invisible Man reworking which was a good film.
    the-haunting-of-bly-manor-peter-oliver-jackson-cohen-social-600x338.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=750&dpr=1.5
    Oliver Jackson-Cohen 34 London Born.

Unsure if he has been mentioned, I started watching The Haunting of Bly Manor on NETFLIX, Oliver shows a subtle underlining menace with the character he plays. Later I realised I had also seen him in the recent Invisible Man reworking which was a good film.

He sure has the right face.
    Ok I have to admit I have not (yet) read all 800 pages of this thread. I’m new here this is my first post! So I apologize if this has been suggested....but I’ve always thought that Jon Hamm (Mad Men) would be a great Bond, IF and I stress IF, he could do a convincing British accent!