The Eurovision Song Contest Thread

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    jobo wrote: »

That was pretty funny.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I'm surprised this thread is still about the 64th Eurovision Song Contest, May 2019. Is there any news about that one...or should the thread title be updated somehow?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited April 2021 Posts: 17,728
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I suppose this contest will be one thing that we won't have the good fortune of being cancelled due to the pandemic then?

Alas, this shameful event with politically motivated, talentless singalongs for the masses is going to happen, no matter what, @Dragonpol. I wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't for the fact that this BS keeps the news and pretty much everything people talk about for a week hijacked. It's an insult. ;-)

It seems that not even Brexit combined with the Covid-19 pandemic can withstand the might of the Eurovision bandwagon. And you're right, it is an insult that anyone takes this politically motivated song contest seriously at all. I suppose the countries that repeatedly win it do but surely nobody else does.
    edited April 2021 Posts: 17,728
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I'm surprised this thread is still about the 64th Eurovision Song Contest, May 2019. Is there any news about that one...or should the thread title be updated somehow?

It would have to be a mod that updates it now as the member who started it, @forgotmyusername, was banned back in July 2014. I assume a mod changed the title last time around in 2019.

A suggestion would be to change the current title to something like "The Eurovision Song Contest Thread" and then the title wouldn't constantly need updated each year.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I've edited it for you, @Dragonpol, apologies for not seeing this sooner.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Thank you for editing the thread title for us, @Creasy47. It was really @j_w_pepper in his comment above who spurred me to suggest the title change. That'll keep the thread title updated for good. :)
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Thank you. To tell you the truth, my interest in the ESC is extremely limited, but I found the thread subject somewhat outdated.
    There is definitely an element of "it's so bad that it's good" with ESC, or at the very least "it's so bad that it's reasonably entertaining". The video I linked to above illustrates this. Watching the whole show is a drab, but I often find myself popping in occationaly to see which terrible song is on, what absurd costumes they wear this time, how many notes out of tune this singer will have, and giggle ;))
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Thank you. To tell you the truth, my interest in the ESC is extremely limited, but I found the thread subject somewhat outdated.

My interest in it is extremely limited too though I have commented on this thread a few times over the years, often in a facetious manner. I agree that the thread subject did sound outdated. It's good to get it changed to something that won't sound so dated for those who are interested in this subject and want to contribute. :)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Thank you for editing the thread title for us, @Creasy47. It was really @j_w_pepper in his comment above who spurred me to suggest the title change. That'll keep the thread title updated for good. :)

I would've done it ages ago but I don't follow the contest, nor this thread (now that Gert isn't here to force everyone to participate!) so I didn't even realize.

I would've done it ages ago but I don't follow the contest, nor this thread (now that Gert isn't here to force everyone to participate!) so I didn't even realize.

No, nor do I really. Only noticed it when this thread was revived recently. Yes, Gert was a great man for Eurovision and took it all very seriously with scores and assorted data. Each to their own I suppose. :)

No, nor do I really. Only noticed it when this thread was revived recently. Yes, Gert was a great man for Eurovision and took it all very seriously with scores and assorted data. Each to their own I suppose. :)
    ^

OK, you people take care...I may think about this again if ther eis ever another ESC....

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The UK seems to have taken over from Norway for getting Nil points :((
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I watched this last night, and even gave a vote to Switzerland.
    Vote for lovelist girl and coolest stage act would go to Greece.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Still salty over Brexit.

Absolutely gutted France didn't win personally.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The UK seems to have taken over from Norway for getting Nil points :((

@Thunderpussy, One wonders why Brexit Britain even wants to show up. ;-) But hey, I didn't mind the song. (My fiancee made me watch this terrible show.)
    I watched this last night, and even gave a vote to Switzerland.
    Vote for lovelist girl and coolest stage act would go to Greece.

@Thunderfinger, I have to agree with that. Very lovely girl. Though I was rather pleased with Cyprus's act too.

That being said, I have begged my soon-to-be-wife never to let me suffer through this event ever again.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited May 2021 Posts: 4,416
    I was suprised Greece not get atleast 2 points from my own country, because she is partly Dutch. England i have give 1 point. Nice act for charts, but les Eurovission.

My favorites be Bulgaria, Litouwen, Norway, Switzerland. France (for girl and her performance) and Germany. I also like Polish one more then it get credits for. Italy i am happy there won and not Finland and not realy dislike it. It is more rock and there be funny and also there have more personalaty then guy from The Netherlands. Also that yellow dance act from Litouwen get second moost votes, very simple but funny. Malta was not bad, but not that great as earlier and lost his magic after more views.
    Still not as camp as some of the late Connery early Moore films, eh Dimi?! :O)

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Haven't watched it in years, used to love the commentary from Wogan and Norton though. :D
  • Euro vision? We Brexit and then finish with nil points. How predictable! Fake and irrelevant.
    Euro vision? We Brexit and then finish with nil points. How predictable! Fake and irrelevant.

Indeed. No big surprises there. It seems that political pointscoring continues unabated, no matter how the contest voting system is reformed.
    I actually like the event, its a crazy evening once a year, but it appears the other countries don't like us anymore.

Feel sorry for James, he didn't deserve nil points. [-X
    Euro vision? We Brexit and then finish with nil points. How predictable! Fake and irrelevant.

But no one is arguing it is relevant not a barometer of popular music. It’s just a rather silly but vaguely entertaining singing competition.

No one likes Britain really. I can’t blame them. Large numbers of our countrymen turn up to their hotter, more beautiful, more cultured cities in summer / at football matches and get drunk and trash the place.
    edited May 2021 Posts: 7,969
    Matt007 wrote: »

No one likes Britain really. I can’t blame them. Large numbers of our countrymen turn up to their hotter, more beautiful, more cultured cities in summer / at football matches and get drunk and trash the place.

Then they should really like us more after Brexit not less.
    Didn't watch the whole thing, but from the songs I bothered to sit through last night, the best entry won. Also a plus that they sang in Italian.

Indeed. No big surprises there. It seems that political pointscoring continues unabated, no matter how the contest voting system is reformed.

Yes, there is no possible way the song was actually not that great. That would be unthinkable...
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I caught the last 20 minutes at work I am not a fan, the voting seemed like a cluster #*%£.
    jobo wrote: »

Yes, there is no possible way the song was actually not that great. That would be unthinkable...

The songs must never have been great then for the last near quarter of a century? What are the chances? Or could there be another reason... 🤔
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade

I actually saw most of the show and thought it was fun entertainment and had a good number of decent and very good songs, much of it far better than the eurotrash that one usually associates with the ESC.

Portugal's The Black Mamba - "Love Is On My Side" even has the makings of a proper Bond song.

And the British song? Let's not talk about that. Let's just say that none of the juries found it good enough to be in the top 12 of the competitors and that the audience-voting agreed completely. That had nothing to do with Brexit.