Quick Big Mi6 Community Bond girl Ranking Game

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited May 2021 Posts: 23,447
    I'm in the Basinger camp. (Those lips!) She brings a ray of sunshine in a film that opens on a ridiculous training mission accompanied by an ill-chosen '80s pop ballad, continues with Bond defeating a baddie with his own urine and ends with a boring gunfight on a sound stage. Basinger looks good and acts "okay". I had her at #19.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I had her in second to last place. She's bad across the board and, for me, one of the areas of the film that, if switched, would've made it even more enjoyable. Still, I really enjoy NSNA.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    NSNA did more for Kim than Kim did for NSNA.
    NSNA did more for Kim than Kim did for NSNA.

Too right.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I always liked Basinger to be honest. I am not arguing she's the best Bond girl ever, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit liking her. She was #18 for me.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited May 2021 Posts: 2,598
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I'm in the Basinger camp. (Those lips!) She brings a ray of sunshine in a film that opens on a ridiculous training mission accompanied by an ill-chosen '80s pop ballad, continues with Bond defeating a baddie with his own urine and ends with a boring gunfight on a sound stage. Basinger looks good and acts "okay". I had her at #19.

As a fan of Lani Hall I resent that remark! :))

Back to the topic at hand: While there is no denying that Kim Basinger is very attractive, IMO her roles in The Natural, Batman (1989) and L.A. Confidential served her talents better.
    Rounding out our bottom 5 is, also maybe a bit surprising I might add:

JILL ST. JOHN
    as Tiffany Case
    in DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER

diamonds-are-forever-lg.jpg

Tiffany's best scores were one 5th spot, one 8th spot and a 10th spot. She also collected an 11th spot, and 5 more top 15's.

Nine bottom 5's, of which two were last place finishes, sealed her fate however.

Tiffany Case collected 95 points in total.

Makes perfect sense to me. Not because of DAF, but because I find Jill neither attractive nor a particularly good actress. I must admit I haven't seen her in anything else, ever, apart from Batman Ep. 1. Another problem is how the character was written, a far-cry from her counterpart in the book. Her cool "I don't dress for the hired help" doesn't suit her. When Jill St. John is doing her chicken dance around Franks's corpse, I think she's mentally retarded. Her "YOU JUST KILLED JAMES BOND" is the sort of acting one expects to get in a TV sitcom. When she's angry or trying to be (Blow up your pants!, RELAAAAX, you have a friend named Felix..., or the gas station scene we've talked about in another thread) it feels like nails on a chalkboard. But none of that is quite as bad as her dumb-damsel routine on the oil rig or her "iiiik" reaction to Bond's fight with Kidd and Wint. Is it Jill St. John or the script and Hamilton's direction? Doesn't matter. I loath this character from start to finish. I only condone her because this is DAF after all, and nothing is played for anything but laughs. But there's funny, and there's obnoxious. Tiff is the latter.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    edited May 2021 Posts: 1,664
    I guess I'm the biggest Tiffany fan. I had her at 5.

I enjoy her fun "tough cookie" character, and Jill is certainly gorgeous. Her alleged slide into being an idiot at the end of the movie is quite overstated. It was probably bloody hard to switch those tapes, and it's hardly Tiffany's fault that Bond gave her very unclear instructions!

And while there's certainly not much serious competition, her chemistry with Sean is unbeatable.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    Kissy's doing well! 👍
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited May 2021 Posts: 2,598
    I had Ms. St. John at number 11.

Ultimately, my “Bond Girl” rankings were based on three – roughly equal – factors:
    1. The actress’s role in the context of the film (i.e., does she contribute to the story)
    2. The actress’s performance in that role.
    3. Do I personally find the actress attractive? (Sorry about that one folks, but it is a factor for me).

Given my criteria, “Tiffany Case” was one that I debated a lot before I submitted my rankings. Attractive? Definitely. I would certainly date her at-least once, and for a time, many powerful men agreed with me. 😊
    be0d25b8cccc6e057fef26b6b874deea.jpg

And given that the role of “Tiffany Case” was written in a sassy /comic vain (compared to “Domino”, for example), I think Ms. St. John’s performance was reasonably successful. While her acting ability wasn’t/isn’t going to make anyone forget Greer Garson, Barbara Stanwyck, etc., I’ve always found her a fun watch. Think Stella Stevens….

Where she comes up short is the role, and here I disagree with @ProfJoeButcher. While she starts out DAF as a sassy (if not too bright), woman, by the oil rig final the role descends into “Bimbo” territory. The real problem isn’t her, it’s the film itself.

daf_jill-machine-gun.gif?w=380

- my two cents anyway (could it be that I have a fondness for redheads?)
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Yeah, there is the machine gun thing. But that's it. And I love how she's calls Blofeld "Ernst"! =))
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I had dearest Tiffany at 22. All three of the Hamilton trio of the 70's are played with enormous charm, yet are let down in the writing department. Still, Jill and Sean had a nice, mischievous chemistry.
    I was one of the two to put her last. I'm afraid she's my least favourite of them all. Hardly any redeeming factors for me. To be fair, I saw St. John in Tony Rome and she fared much better in that one.
    Are we actually
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    I was one of the two to put her last. I'm afraid she's my least favourite of them all. Hardly any redeeming factors for me. To be fair, I saw St. John in Tony Rome and she fared much better in that one.

Right! I has forgotten. She was a lot better in that film.
  • Tiffany is the one listed so far you could say I had relatively high. She’s fantastically portrayed in the film’s first half: cool, confident, no-nonsense. But once she turns “good guy,” well, much like the film itself, the character becomes nothing but nonsense.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I like Tiffany. Terrible hairstyle though.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Collars and cuffs don’t match ;)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I find it hard to disagree with the Tiffany placement. She's an incredibly grating character and St. John gives the appropriate performance.
    edited May 2021 Posts: 6,757
    Just outside the top 20, but also just outside the bottom 5 we get:

DENISE RICHARDS
    as Christmas Jones
    in THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH

7a6ba0c2-7fdd-4f5a-bf4f-ff7dc3346585_1.fdc11e1e9ad5bf203d10d6b25f129501.jpeg?odnWidth=612&odnHeight=612&odnBg=ffffff

Christmas appears to remain a divisive character with 9 bottom 5 finishes. Only a single one of those was a last place though.

On a more positive note, she does seem to have her fans as well, collecting two 4th places, one 7th and one 9th place. Two more top 15's were noted as well.

In total Christmas Jones was awarded 95 points.

That's the same as Tiffany by the way, but with more top 10's and fewer last places, the toss-up ended up in her favour.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I was the one who placed her last. Whilst there is no denying that Denise Richards is a very attractive woman, I simply cannot get past her misplaced casting. TWINE as a whole is a massive mess, that I just don't enjoy as a Bond film. Richards casting as a nuclear physicist is a step too far for me. Bond films have to have at least some believable parts. Or their tongue firmly placed in their cheek. DAD kind of delivers this. TWINE tries to take it self seriously, when it really shouldn't. At least for me.
    Agreed in full, @Benny she was my last place EON pick.
    I'm hit and miss with Tiffany, though I do like her for the most part. Christmas Jones ranking above her (and some others) does surprise me.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I gave her fourth place. Who is the other superfan?

It s the weakest film, but she is one of the redeeming features. I don t understand why she couldn t be a nuclear physicist. There are no good arguments against.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I put Denise in 19th place. Good character, but perhaps a slight miscasting on EON's part. She does have some nifty lines though.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    I also had her in 19th place. She is a fun and uncomplicated character, totally unbelievable as nuclear physicist, though. I would place her in the Mary Goodnight camp of simple delights (if the metaphor is not a stretch too far...).
    She's not great, but as I've said before, TWINE has bigger problems than Denise.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I gave her fourth place. Who is the other superfan?

It s the weakest film, but she is one of the redeeming features. I don t understand why she couldn t be a nuclear physicist. There are no good arguments against.

I put her in 8th place.
    I ansolutely love Christmas. Had her in my top 10. I know she's not a convincing nuclear physicist, but ranking them as subjectively as possible I can't put her anywhere lower than 9th.
    I find her extremely attractive and likeable. But you know, de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum, as they say ;)