Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Well, I think she's beautiful and I don't really care about the "duckface" which is honestly just her natural face, which again is beautiful. And she's an even better actress so my fingers are crossed for the future.

Agreed. She's stunning.

"I give you very best duck." ;)

Just need a few minutes to find out! ;)

"She'll never know what she missed." ;)
    After seeing the oscars, Reese Ahmed. Totally. Forget about a black bond, give us an Asian Bond.
    Henry Golding
  • That actress posted earlier, Natalie Dormer, does have an odd face or something. I can't totally put my finger on it. She looks decently cute in some pictures, and in some others she has a really off-putting look to her. I don't think she'd be up to Bond's standards, but she could work as a villain. Example of what I mean:

DzE4VIcXcAEO8w9.jpg
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited May 2021 Posts: 7,982
    Don't know about duckface, but whoever thinks she's a good fit for Bond must be completely quackers. :P

FYI, don't if anyone has taken a browse of Amazon Prime lately, Aidan Turners new show Leonardo series 1 just dropped recently. He is beginning to age into the area where he would be perfect to take the mantle in a couple years.

As much as some pine for a young, fresh faced Bond, in this day and age I don't think it would ever work. Bond is supposed to be the ultimate chauvinist, who men style themselves after. The most desired men all in their 30's and 40's who have experience and seen the world. Plus after Craig, people will expect him to look slightly knackered. Anyone under 30 will not command the correct gravitas, and would likely be laughed at as "baby Bond" or some such. That one actor people are raving about in 2021 is literally "the about a boy" kid, so his casting would have significant hurdles to overcome.

Remember Craig got destroyed in the press in 2005 for being 'Blonde Bond' and getting his teeth knocked out.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I have long since thought that Natalie Dormer would make for a better Moneypenny than a Bond Girl.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Hoult is just getting into his thirties, looking too young will not be a problem, imo; whether he can look convincingly tough and have that cold intensity in the eyes that has made Daniel Craig's Bond so credible, now that is the question.

And thinking of Hoult, Phoebe Fox who plays Mariel in The Great would be an excellent Moneypenny.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Don't know about duckface, but whoever thinks she's a good fit for Bond must be completely quackers. :P

FYI, don't if anyone has taken a browse of Amazon Prime lately, Aidan Turners new show Leonardo series 1 just dropped recently. He is beginning to age into the area where he would be perfect to take the mantle in a couple years.

As much as some pine for a young, fresh faced Bond, in this day and age I don't think it would ever work. Bond is supposed to be the ultimate chauvinist, who men style themselves after. The most desired men all in their 30's and 40's who have experience and seen the world. Plus after Craig, people will expect him to look slightly knackered. Anyone under 30 will not command the correct gravitas, and would likely be laughed at as "baby Bond" or some such. That one actor people are raving about in 2021 is literally "the about a boy" kid, so his casting would have significant hurdles to overcome.

Remember Craig got destroyed in the press in 2005 for being 'Blonde Bond' and getting his teeth knocked out.

We're usually on the same page, like now. Eloquently put, dear @Mendes4Lyfe
  • edited May 2021 Posts: 17,241
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Has anyone mentioned Shaun Evans?
    He's the fella who plays Endeavour in the series Endeavour. Although he's 41 now so his time has probably passed but he has a strong jawline, a great voice and a commanding presence.
    I've never thought of him till my Mrs suggested it watching the show last night, she does have a crush on him, so that's a factor for her haha
    He is likeable and quite charming on screen
    https://i0.wp.com/morseandlewisandendeavour.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/shaun-evans.jpg?fit=315,348&ssl=1
    Here's a pic of him in a tux, apologies I'm not sure how to share pictures properly on this (it's only been 2 years)

Shaun Evans is great playing Morse (Endeavour is one of my favourite shows), but I've never thought of him as anything Bond like. I could see him fit nicely into a Carré like spy drama though.

Good point about the voice. That's an important factor in casting a new actor, IMO.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited May 2021 Posts: 5,841
    Remember Craig got destroyed in the press in 2005 for being 'Blonde Bond'...
    ...then people got over it and he became one of, if not the, most successful James Bond...

If the actor does a good job, it won't matter whether they're in their 30s or 40s.
    ...then people got over it and he became one of, if not the, most successful James Bond...

If the actor does a good job, it won't matter whether they're in their 30s or 40s.

In any event, we've had both those age ranges before and even actors into their 50s as well so there shouldn't be a problem there.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited May 2021 Posts: 5,841

In any event, we've had both those age ranges before and even actors into their 50s as well so there shouldn't be a problem there.
    +1

I just know some people get concerned when we discuss people in their 20s cause more often than not we're talking about the future, not casting for tomorrow...

+1

I just know some people get concerned when we discuss people in their 20s cause more often than not we're talking about the future, not casting for tomorrow...

Yes, and I get that sentiment of course. However, we have to bear in mind that George Lazenby was 29 when he was filming OHMSS though he looked much more mature in his looks than that. So there isn't a one size fits all approach to ages. I'd say it all comes down to looks and how "lived in" the actor's face appears than specifically obsessing about age. It's really only a number in the end analysis.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

+1

It's terrible that this needs to keep being repeated. In certain cases, with certain suggestions, we're talking potentially four, five or six years down the line from now.

And honestly, I think that's the right age we should be hoping for. Mid 30s. Audiences want to grow and get to know their James Bond these days and that age allows for that to happen naturally enough.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    The

+1

It's terrible that this needs to keep being repeated. In certain cases, with certain suggestions, we're talking potentially four, five or six years down the line from now.

And honestly, I think that's the right age we should be hoping for. Mid 30s. Audiences want to grow and get to know their James Bond these days and that age allows for that to happen naturally enough.

I’ll repeat, a traffic signal doesn’t have to be green when you’re a block or two away; you want it to be green when you come to that intersection.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2021 Posts: 14,861

+1

Yes, and I get that sentiment of course. However, we have to bear in mind that George Lazenby was 29 when he was filming OHMSS though he looked much more mature in his looks than that. So there isn't a one size fits all approach to ages. I'd say it all comes down to looks and how "lived in" the actor's face appears than specifically obsessing about age. It's really only a number in the end analysis.

Yes, I've always thought his face at 29 was a real advert for the benefits of wearing sunblock in Australia! :D
    edited May 2021 Posts: 17,730
    mtm wrote: »

+1

Yes, I've always thought his face at 29 was a real advert for the benefits of wearing sunblock in Australia! :D

Indeed but he certainly looked the part, didn't he? That was all that mattered in my book. A baby faced Bond is not something that the world needs to see.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited May 2021 Posts: 8,009
    talos7 wrote: »
    I’ll repeat, a traffic signal doesn’t have to be green when you’re a block or two away; you want it to be green when you come to that intersection.

Yes, quite right!
  • https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2566911/pierce-brosnans-son-wonder-wants-to-play-james-bond-paris-007

Funny, the last time around we had the same thing with Roger Moore's son Geoffrey Moore.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    A whole article based on one photo? Wow :D
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    In that photo he looks like Tom Cruise in
    “ Cocktail “
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Really cool seeing Callum working with Cary Fukunaga. This was on Cary's IG the other day.

I think he'll do very well out of Masters of the Air, but he is so far removed from Bond in that clip I find it difficult to imagine him in the role.

Definitely an actor who is going places, but I'm struggling to see him acing a 007 casting call.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Good to see that Mr Fukunaga is a Percy Pigs fan.

That show sounds good though.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    https://collider.com/why-nicholas-hoult-is-best-when-he-isnt-the-main-character/

Nice little overview of our friend Nic's career that argues that he is better in weird supporting roles than as a leading man. I would argue that the fact that The Favourite and Mad Max: Fury Road are better films than the stuff he got to be a lead on doesn't really indicate anything other than that he hasn't gotten a lead in a good film yet. But at some point - and possibly especially for Bond - you want an actor to elevate the material.

Has anyone checked out Those Who Wish Me Dead yet?
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for Hoult, when I see this film with the Mrs next week. I haven't seen Hoult in a lot so it's harsh to judge him on his look alone, he looks cool in the trailer admittedly
    One review of the film said he was miscast, another said he was good. No one thinks the film is much cop, though.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Empire seemed to enjoy it enough. Looks like a nice, 90s-style mid-budget thriller to me.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Gonna throw these guys back into discussion for anyone interested. Ben Aldridge and Sean Teale. Teale will probably need more time, being the youngest at 27, whereas Aldridge could probably do it tomorrow Both British, both tall, both handsome, and both have good voices.

MV5BMDJmODZiM2QtZTZmYS00YmY0LTgzYjUtNmZiNzRmMmQ3MGM5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkzNzM4NDM@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,666,1000_AL_.jpg
    MV5BMWY4ODJjYTMtZDJkMC00NjZlLWJkM2MtZWI0ZWFiN2FiNGM1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwMDg0Ng@@._V1_.jpg

They both look good, but can they act?

These both look like good contenders. Never seen either of them act, but they have the look I think is perfect for the next Bond. Someone dark hair, dark eyed, in the Connery mould. Throw in the deep voice, charisma and acting chops too, then we have a winner.
    Cavill has been cast in one of the leads in the Highlander reboot. I think he's less and less likely to be a contender for 007.