Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Brannigan, 1975. Basically John Wayne is a Chicago cop sent to England to bring back
    a famous gangster. Things go wrong and he has to become a bit of a Dirty Harry in London.
    It's an average 70s thriller and I do think John Wayne looks odd in a contemporary film, he suits being a cowboy.

I didn't care much for Brannigan, but The Dukes prior Dirty Harry cash-in, McQ, is pretty good. Top notch score, and an unfairly overlooked car chase are the highlights.
    Not to mention the first (I guess) appearance of the Ingram submachine gun (complete with silencer ; in fact, in France, the movie was called Un Silencieux au Bout du Canon) :

un-silencieux-au-bout-du-canon60x80.jpg
  • edited May 2021 Posts: 1,469
    I liked McQ too, and that was the first time I saw Roger E. Mosley, who of course later played TC on Magnum, P.I. The same year he did McQ (1974) he also did an episode of Kojak with the former Blofeld.
    Song of the South (1946)

There's no way of defending the plantation nostalgia, complacent view of sharecropping-era conditions for African Americans, and how the racial politics barely rise above paternalism at best.

I give it three stars because of Greg Toland's warmly beautiful cinematography (especially evident in the HD version on the Internet Archive); the voice performances of African American actors Johnny Lee and Nick Stewart; James Baskett's starring performance (not only as Uncle Remus but also, amazingly, as Brer Fox), which turns a potential stereotype into flesh and blood, the only truly human character in the film; and some of Disney's best-ever animation in terms of character acting, which means some of the finest animation from the past century.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Revelator wrote: »
    Song of the South (1946)

There's no way of defending the plantation nostalgia, complacent view of sharecropping-era conditions for African Americans, and how the racial politics barely rise above paternalism at best.

I give it three stars because of Greg Toland's warmly beautiful cinematography (especially evident in the HD version on the Internet Archive); the voice performances of African American actors Johnny Lee and Nick Stewart; James Baskett's starring performance (not only as Uncle Remus but also, amazingly, as Brer Fox), which turns a potential stereotype into flesh and blood, the only truly human character in the film; and some of Disney's best-ever animation in terms of character acting, which means some of the finest animation from the past century.

It s a great film. A real disgrace that Baskett was shunned from the premiere in the south.
    THE HINDENBURG (Paul Wise, 1975)

I like airships, and have always been fascinated by the 1937 disaster. Weird I never knew about this film before. It s a good one, and Gavin O Herlihy plays a central part.
    Hindenburg_(film).png
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited May 2021 Posts: 17,727

I like airships, and have always been fascinated by the 1937 disaster. Weird I never knew about this film before. It s a good one, and Gavin O Herlihy plays a central part.
    Hindenburg_(film).png

I've heard of that film though not seen it, @Thunderfinger. I think that's the one where the explosion of the airship is shown to be a conspiracy, isn't it? Of course that theory has no relation to the facts.

I'll tell you an interesting little personal family story about the Hindenburg. In 1937 my late father (who'd have been 13 at the time) was talking with his female next door neighbour at the stile that used to be between the two farms. All of a sudden his female neighbour gasped, "Tommy, what's that?!". It was the Hindenburg airship on its flight to the United States. My father had heard about the fact it was flying from Germany to the United States (probably on the wireless in the house) and he explained what it was and where it was going to her. It must have been a startling sight for people on the ground to witness the airship flying above a rural part of Northern Ireland with the drone of the engines and the vastness of its bulk. A check of its flight path online confirms that it did in fact fly over the far north of Northern Ireland on its way to the United States. My father told me that he remembered hearing the awful news of the disaster on May 6, 1937 on the wireless, probably the day after the disaster. He recalled how the radio journalist (called Herbert Morrison) broke down into tears when when he described the awful events he was witnessing live before him. It must have been very harrowing to listen to, especially considering my father had actually seen the airship flying over his country a while beforehand.

Here is that harrowing radio report with accompanying footage of the disaster:

In happier times for the Hindenburg here was The Saint author Leslie Charteris (1907-1993) talking about being a passenger on the zeppelin's maiden voyage. He speaks about his trip from Frankfurt, Germany to New Jersey, United States. The date was May 9, 1936, exactly a year to the day before the disaster occurred at the same location:

Dragonpol wrote: »

Hindenburg_(film).png

I've heard of that film though not seen it, @Thunderfinger. I think that's the one where the explosion of the airship is shown to be a conspiracy, isn't it? Of course that theory has no relation to the facts.

I'll tell you an interesting little personal family story about the Hindenburg. In 1937 my late father (who'd have been 13 at the time) was talking with his female next door neighbour at the stile that used to be between the two farms. All of a sudden his female neighbour gasped, "Tommy, what's that?!". It was the Hindenburg airship on its flight to the United States. My father had heard about the fact it was flying from Germany to the United States (probably on the wireless in the house) and he explained what it was and where it was going to her. It must have been a startling sight to people on the ground to witness the airship flying above a rural part of Northern Ireland with the drone of the engines and the vastness of its bulk. A check of its flight path online confirms that it did in fact flying over the far north of Northern Ireland on its way to the United States. My father told me that he remembered hearing the awful news of the disaster on May 6, 1937 on the wireless, probably the day after the disaster. He recalled how the radio journalist (called Herbert Morrison) broke down into tears when when he described the awful events he was witnessing live before him. It must have been very harrowing to listen to, especially considering my father had actually seen the airship flying over his country a while beforehand.

In happier times for the Hindenburg here was The Saint author Leslie Charteris (1907-1993) talking about being a passenger on the zeppelin's maiden voyage. He speaks about his trip from Frankfurt, Germany to New Jersey, United States. The date was May 9, 1936, exactly a year to the day before the disaster occurred at the same location:

Yes, that is the one, but there have been a couple other films about the same incident, and I don t know much about those. The disaster happened on May 6th, and yes I have heard that radio report before. A shame those airship flights went out of style, but here s hoping they return.

Hindenburg_(film).png

I'll tell you an interesting little personal family story about the Hindenburg. In 1937 my late father (who'd have been 13 at the time) was talking with his female next door neighbour at the stile that used to be between the two farms. All of a sudden his female neighbour gasped, "Tommy, what's that?!". It was the Hindenburg airship on its flight to the United States. My father had heard about the fact it was flying from Germany to the United States (probably on the wireless in the house) and he explained what it was and where it was going to her. It must have been a startling sight to people on the ground to witness the airship flying above a rural part of Northern Ireland with the drone of the engines and the vastness of its bulk. A check of its flight path online confirms that it did in fact flying over the far north of Northern Ireland on its way to the United States. My father told me that he remembered hearing the awful news of the disaster on May 6, 1937 on the wireless, probably the day after the disaster. He recalled how the radio journalist (called Herbert Morrison) broke down into tears when when he described the awful events he was witnessing live before him. It must have been very harrowing to listen to, especially considering my father had actually seen the airship flying over his country a while beforehand.

Yes, that is the one, but there have been a couple other films about the same incident, and I don t know much about those. The disaster happened on May 6th, and yes I have heard that radio report before. A shame those airship flights went out of style, but here s hoping they return.

Ah, I thought so. I'll have to see if I can catch it some time as it sounds interesting. It is a shame that mode of commercial travel came to an end but I suppose the disaster put paid to any hopes of it continuing from a public confidence point of view. I have heard that the original plan was to call the airship the Hitler (at Joseph Goebbels's suggestion) but it was decided to name it after the late German President Paul von Hindenburg instead. Imagine the propaganda and publicity fail for the regime if it had been called the Hitler!

Hindenburg_(film).png

Ah, I thought so. I'll have to see if I can catch it some time as it sounds interesting. It is a shame that mode of commercial travel came to an end but I suppose the disaster put paid to any hopes of it continuing from a public confidence point of view. I have heard that the original plan was to call the airship the Hitler (at Joseph Goebbels's suggestion) but it was decided to name it after the late German President Paul von Hindenburg instead. Imagine the propaganda and publicity fail for the regime if it had been called the Hitler!

That s right. It was the Hindenburg disaster that put an end to commercial airship flights, even though it wasn t the first or the worst. This is why the airship scene in INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE is wrong, as that film takes place in 1938.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    WHITE DOG (1982)

d1q5y50y987t.png

This is a pretty good horror/thriller by Samuel Fuller that deals with the subject of racism in a Cujo kind of way. Paul Winfield and Kristy McNichol play the leads. The screenplay was co-written by Curtis Hanson. Though nearly four decades old, I'd say this film is still very much relevant today.

That's a good (if sad) story, especially the bolded part.
    KNOWING (Alex Proyas, 2009)
    R258532229c77d1b233982fe4272deca3?rik=czSc5zhBCoTNTw&riu=http%3a%2f%2fwww.freemovieposters.net%2fposters%2fknowing_2009_2318_poster.jpg&ehk=id3aPov4jAXZlRnGSRgyIUcX1AhfoOJiphA8p2l8AVM%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw
    Pretty exciting thriller with an interesting set-up, and a climax and conclusion I didn t expect.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Thunderfinger, the climax is worth it alone. It's very ballsy and I definitely didn't see it coming.
    THE BULLFIGHTERS (Mal St. Clair, 1945)
    image-w1280.jpg?size=740x
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The Silencers on Amazon prime.
    First of the Matt Helm films, I have the box set, so do enjoy them, even if they are very silly and are basically Dean Martin playing at being a slightly alcoholic Secret Agent. A guilty pleasure of mine as I think the main saving grace of these films is the charm and personality of Dino.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    KNOWING (Alex Proyas, 2009)
    R258532229c77d1b233982fe4272deca3?rik=czSc5zhBCoTNTw&riu=http%3a%2f%2fwww.freemovieposters.net%2fposters%2fknowing_2009_2318_poster.jpg&ehk=id3aPov4jAXZlRnGSRgyIUcX1AhfoOJiphA8p2l8AVM%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw
    Pretty exciting thriller with an interesting set-up, and a climax and conclusion I didn t expect.

I think this movie is great I have it on Blu-ray, full of great idea's and thought provoking. I am a big fan of Proyas I make a point of seeking out his films. The Crow, Dark City and I Robot all good films.
    mattjoes wrote: »

That's a good (if sad) story, especially the bolded part.

Yes, I thought it was worth sharing. I've always found it fascinating that my Dad actually saw the airship passing over. It must've been quite a sight, complete with swastikas. Of course the horrors of World War II and the Holocaust were yet to occur but the Nazi regime was already making a name for itself. My grandfather (who I sadly never met as he died long before I was born) was given an English translation of Mein Kampf to read by a friend who said it showed all of the things Hitler planned to do, which it of course did.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    My wife and I have been doing a three-part "Trümmerfilme" succession lately. The movies made in Germany immediately (or for the first few years) after WW II and showing much of the destruction were called "Trümmerfilme" (literally, rubble movies). All three are quite different, but all of them show the ruins of Berlin after 1945 as a backdrop and in a way, most important character.

The first we watched was "Berliner Ballade" (Berlin Ballad, but IMDb tells me it was called "The Berliner" in English-speaking markets). A 1948 satirical movie based on a political cabaret program, with a thirtyish, 150-pound Gert Fröbe as war returnee "Otto Normalverbraucher" (=average consumer, a word that has entered the German language ever since) in his first movie role, directed by Robert A. Stemmle. Actually a rather funny, tongue-in-cheek film, notable for having had only one single scene being filmed in a studio setting, while all the others (including Fröbe's bedroom missing one outside wall) were filmed on-site in actual ruins.
    71twR1zIZXL._SX342_.jpg
    The second was "Die Mörder sind unter uns" (The Murderers Are Among Us), the first feature film made in Germany after the war, in 1946). A young woman returns from a concentration camp and finds a psychologically-challenged physician who lives in her apartment, who is also intending to kill his former superior officer, now a successful businessman already, for committing atrocities in the war.
    71Cr2CrgHyL._SY445_.jpg
    Tonight, in a somewhat lighter vein, it was Billy Wilder's "A Foreign Affair" (1948). Jean Arthur (then already 48 and basically retired) plays an Iowa congresswoman on a committee of congressmen investigating the behavior of U.S. armed forces personnel in occupied Berlin and ends up competing for the same man (a U.S. Army captain) as Marlene Dietrich (only about a year younger than Jean Arthur, by the way). Funny, satirical, quite cynical, and typically Wilder.
    91AciUYM2-S._SL1500_.jpg
    Can't say that all three are available in English or with any foreign-language subtitles, but I'd definitely recommend all three of them, though maybe mostly for their historical value.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    twiw-coweer.jpg
    Decent thriller/mystery I will likely watch it again.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    The movie I watched tonight was SILENT RUNNING (1972), the first movie directed by special effects specialist Douglas Trumbull, who worked on such major films as 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Andromeda Strain, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Blade Runner and quite a few more. Bruce Dern, as an astronaut aboard a space ship designed to preserve certain biotopes from a then-uninhabitable earth, refuses to follow the sudden order to jettison and nuke those habitats and instead tries to preserve at least one of them...by killing the rest of his crew. In many regards a great movie, and considering it is fifty years old (from the beginning of shooting), it is quite visionary and something to think about it.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    @j_w_pepper. Don’t forget the Drones: Huey, Dewey – as well as the Joan Baez song “Rejoice in the Sun.” And that final shot…..absolutely heartbreaking.

“Silent Running” used to be on US TV quite a lot in the late 1970s/early 1980s, but not so much as of late. Given the well-deserved attention that Douglas Trumbull received – and continues to receive – for “2OO1” this movie is due for a critical re-appraisal IMO.

• 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited May 2021 Posts: 2,341
    The Evil Dead (1981)
    Funny movie.
    3aba0e963ed4e8b0938fd2a006b35410.png
    244469682_contest_876646_standard_1601395466.jpg
    Daft though I did laugh quite a few times.
    @007InAction The Evil Dead (1981) is one of my favourite movies ever :)>-
  • edited May 2021 Posts: 1,637
    Plastposen 3.5/6 , comedy about a man who just needed to throw his garbage out and by accident gets mixed up in a bank robbery case (incredibly dated music lol)

Batman DKR 5/6 , pretty good

Burning 2......4/6 , comedy similar to Cannonball films , in this one they drive from Norway to Mumansk , Russia
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    @007InAction The Evil Dead (1981) is one of my favourite movies ever :)>-

Did you see it at the cinema when it was released ?
    Monteray pop festival

A mix of music and behind the scenes footage it’s different from Woodstock but still really cool

Films I have seen in 2001
    1. Casino Royale
    2. Quantum of solace
    3. John wick
    4. Coming to America
    5. Monterey Pop Festival
    6. My big fat Greek wedding
    7. Batman: dying is easy
    8. Across the universe
    9. Batman hush
    10. Batman ninja
    11. Casino Royale 1954

Hi @007InAction No not the cinema But I got a loan of it from a friend when it was on the video nasty list. I felt so " Underground" watching it :D The camera work is fantastic , the script and cast are good for such a small budget they did an amazing job, Not to mention the B movie king Bruce Campbell. Who's always worth watching.
    Tonight I'm watching an old Favourite " North by Northwest " a Hitchcock classic.
    So many good points from Cast and story.