Veteran stuntman George Leech has died aged 90

JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
edited June 2012 in News Posts: 1,380
Veteran stuntman George Leech has died at the age of 90.

He performed stunt double duties, as well as appearing on screen himself as various goons and henchman, in multiple James Bond films from "Dr. No" in 1962 up to "A View To A Kill" in 1985.

Born in London, England, on December 6th, 1921, George Leech started his film career in the mid 1950s in the Pier Angeli film "Port Afrique", and soon found himself in great demand. A few years later his first 'big action film' came with "The Guns Of Navarone". The following year he was engaged on a modest film called "Dr No" - it was to be the first of eleven James Bond films, which took him through to Roger Moore's last outing in "A View To A Kill" in 1985. George has doubled for George Lazenby and Roger Moore, as well as having a few fisty-cuffs with Sean Connery and his adversaries. His other credits include "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang", "Kelly's Heroes", "The Eagle Has Landed", "Revenge Of The Pink Panther", "Superman" and "North Sea Hijack".

George Leech passed away on Sunday 17th June 2012. He is survived by his daughter Wendy Leech, one of the first stunt-women in the business, who is married to fellow 007 stuntman extraordinaire Vic Armstrong.

Comments

Rest in Peace
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Rest in Peace, George. Shame to lose someone else involved with the Bond films - thanks for all your hard work.
    Love the final fisticuffs scene with Connery on the boat in Thunderball!
  • Had the pleasure to interview George at his home many years ago whilst conducting UK research for Steven Jay Rubin's 'James Bond Encyclopedia'. He was a gracious host who spoke passionately about his life in films, his start as as a stunt performer, his role of Stunt Co-Ordinator of 'OHMSS' and great pride in his daughter Wendy and her husband Vic Armstrong and their fine individual careers in the film business.

A life well lived.

Thanks for the memories George.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    RIP George. He's one of those stuntmen that added so much to Bond. He did a lot with his life and I suppose we can only hope to follow his as an example.

By the way, was Mr. Leech 90 or 91? If he was born on December 6th, 1921, that would have made him only 90.
    RIP George, thanks to you for helping shape the franchise we all love in terms of stunt work. And all the other film projects you were involved in.

Thoughts and best wishes to your family and friends.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Such a sad piece of news. When a member of the Bond family passes away. George Leech was one of those people who helped shape the Bond series, and his dedication, loyalty and amazing stuntwork are something we fans can always appreciate.
    Thanks for all the hard work, and great stunts George. May you rest in peace.
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    edited June 2012 Posts: 1,380
    Samuel001 wrote:
    By the way, was Mr. Leech 90 or 91? If he was born on December 6th, 1921, that would have made him only 90.

Thanks for spotting the mental arithmetic error - now corrected. However, CBN, who copied the news without any kind of fact checking on the source (I assume MI6 is now gospel), also copied the error.

I've come across some interesting comments from the late Mr Leech on his involvement in the Bond's of the 60s... More to come soon. Sad that people often have to pass for us to take time out to reflect on their work.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    JamesPage wrote:
    Sad that people often have to pass for us to take time out to reflect on their work.

Maybe there's a message there. We should try to do more while we can. There are plently of older living Bond alumni out there to do research on.
    A very nice man who I met a few times. RIP
    Its a sad part of life but the 50th Anniversary is also a time to reflect on all of those talented people who have contributed.
    Only when you get a little older do you realise what the last 50 years means and that for those there from the beginning that time won't last forever.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 1,637
    Now 2 of the OHMSS stars I met are gone : Sims and Leech.....RIP

(Sims was uncredit writer so not a star per se.....)
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 12,837
    RIP. You have to admire what the stuntmen do for the series.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Cheers George and RIP.

As the stunt coordinator on OHMSS, not to mention the rest of your contributions, your efforts have given me untold pleasure over the years.

RIP.

Now there was a man who contributed to the well-being of the world!
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited June 2012 Posts: 1,699
    RIP.

An utter, unadulterated legend of the screen Bond - and a member of that select band of great stuntmen of yore...
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Thank you for protecting Sean, Roger and the many other actors over the years.

RIP
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    RIP, Mr. Leech.

In his honor, he plays beekeeper Mr. Stutterstutt in this hilarious and classic comedy clip:

Watch out for the mace!

RIP, Mr. Leech.

In his honor, he plays beekeeper Mr. Stutterstutt in this hilarious and classic comedy clip:

Watch out for the mace!

=)) Never tire of seeing Sellers as Clouseau! A nice touch for us to all see.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    RIP
    Another great legend gone.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    d24398.gif

RIP.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 5
    RIP, thanks for your work!

You were a legend!
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    RogueAgent wrote:
    RIP, Mr. Leech.

Watch out for the mace!

=)) Never tire of seeing Sellers as Clouseau! A nice touch for us to all see.

Indeed. That's my favorite scene from that particular Panther film.

I didn't know about this, sad news indeed. He contributed so much, i love his interviews on the SE of OHMSS.