James Bond Film A View To A Kill - Aubergine (Jean Rougerie's) Original Undubbed Voice

edited May 2021 in Bond Movies Posts: 229
Never heard this before, the original voice of Aubergine played by French actor Jean Rougerie. They decided to dub him later in the final film.

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That's very cool! I wonder where that came from?
  • edited May 2021 Posts: 6,682
    If not from the home video bonus features, maybe from a workprint of the film. But very cool indeed. The background piano is also missing.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The amount of background noise is kind of bizarre: I almost wonder how they got Roger’s lines as he doesn’t seem to be ADRed.
    mtm wrote: »
    That's very cool! I wonder where that came from?
    It's actually from the Duran Duran - A View To A Kill music video.
    Found it here: https://my.mail.ru/mail/r.0072011/video/_myvideo/3478.html
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ah of course- excellent spot!
    I didn't know (or I didn't remember) that long version of the music video. The one on my SE DVD goes immediately from the gunbarrel to the beginning of the song. Of course this longer version provides more context for what's happening in the Eiffel Tower scene.

The line "there's a fly in his soup" was also dubbed.

mtm wrote: »
    The amount of background noise is kind of bizarre: I almost wonder how they got Roger’s lines as he doesn’t seem to be ADRed.
    Maybe it's just a mix with background sound recorded with one microphone and his voice recorded with another one?
    BTW, there's a reference to Agatha Christie in this scene. But you have to be familiar with the french pronunciation of Poirot to notice it.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    Gerard wrote: »
    BTW, there's a reference to Agatha Christie in this scene. But you have to be familiar with the french pronunciation of Poirot to notice it.

The name of Aubergine is a pun on Poirot, as Aubergine means eggplant in French while Poireau (same pronunciation as Poirot) is leek.
    Not as clever as John Le Carré’s origins for his pen name, that said.